magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by magoo »

d-train wrote: December 5, 2018, 6:11 pm
Matt wrote: December 5, 2018, 8:02 am
Dusty wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:12 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.
Options: A Johnston, G Jennings , ????

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I dont like Johnston, esp not as a FB.
Id be happy with either on a wing though, moving Jack to 6 and Cotric to 1.
id be playing cotric in the #1. he'd be our long term option. id be looking at a cheap young winger to fill in the wingers spot. players like Phillip Sami, Sione Katoa (sharks), Reimis Smith. I'd even take Sandor Earl back. Played 9 games in intrust super cup last season and averaged 124 metres per game. He'd be hungry to get another shot in first grade before he hangs up the boots.
I don't think Cotric is going to develop into a quality fullback. I do believe he will turn out to be a sensational 2nd rower
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Cotric mentioned today that he prefers wing over fullback

Source: Fox Sports News

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I love Nick but I don't think he's a better fullback than Jack. The difference is in the way Jack can get involved in the attack, including passing. I also think, weirdly, that he's also more athletic in defending kicks and also less predictable. Nick is more like a tank.

Jack has suffered in his absence, he was looking pretty excellent before being stood down.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I’ve always wanted Rapana at fullback for his back up

Think he’d be better than the lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2018, 5:26 pm People are upset that Paulo and Boyd moved on?? Mystified
Not me. No way.

I haven't worn pants since Nov 1.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2018, 6:07 am
sprintman wrote: December 5, 2018, 5:26 pm People are upset that Paulo and Boyd moved on?? Mystified
Not me. No way.

I haven't worn pants since Nov 1.
Ah so you're the guy thats been walking around lake mac in a Raiders jersey and no pants...it all makes sense now.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This team will be **** without both Wighton and Rapana in the back 3.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

id be playing cotric in the #1. he'd be our long term option. id be looking at a cheap young winger to fill in the wingers spot. players like Phillip Sami, Sione Katoa (sharks), Reimis Smith. I'd even take Sandor Earl back. Played 9 games in intrust super cup last season and averaged 124 metres per game. He'd be hungry to get another shot in first grade before he hangs up the boots.
I know Smith re-signed at Dogs.
Pretty sure Katoa is tied up at Sharks.
Not sure about Sami.
Sandor would be a nostalgic signing, and a depth option at that.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

magoo wrote: December 5, 2018, 6:30 pm

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

I don't think Cotric is going to develop into a quality fullback. I do believe he will turn out to be a sensational 2nd rower
Pretty sure this is the Wighton argument all over again...
He is a centre.
No a FB.
No a 5/8.
No a 2nd rower.
What about ball playing lock?

People know my stance on Cotric. Right now he is in the top half a dozen wingers in the game, and was very unlucky not to get a Blues jumper over Turbo or JAC. Holmes and Gagai were QLD's wingers this yr. Given Turbo is a fullback, Holmes is an exceptional winger, a pretty good fullback, but most importantly now an NFL player and Gagai a centre, that leaves the wing rankings up for grabs. So, to go with JAC, add in the likes of Rapana, Vunivalu and Ferguson, who I believe are up there with Cotric. Then the next lot of players are guys like Fus, Maumalo, Nofo, Mansour, BMoz, Feldt and DWZ.

I think he could be a world class centre nearly overnight, should he make the move. So, I can see that a move into the backrow might happen later in his career, as the explosive speed slows. BUT... the Luke Lewis's of the world are rare, so dont draw that comparison yet.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Some players due to limits imposed by size, athleticism and brains are only suited to one or two positions on a rugby league field.

Cotric and Wighton don't fit into those categories. With the right game plan and plenty of time training in their new roles, both players could do well in their new roles. There would be teething problems but anytime you change positions in your spine you are going to have teething problems.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Some players due to limits imposed by size, athleticism and brains are only suited to one or two positions on a rugby league field.

Cotric and Wighton don't fit into those categories. With the right game plan and plenty of time training in their new roles, both players could do well in their new roles. There would be teething problems but anytime you change positions in your spine you are going to have teething problems.
What? Junior Paulo is perfectly sized to play both Prop and Halfback. Apparently!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Haha... any time anyone ever suggests Stuart might not be as bad as he seems as a coach, never forget he had a 120kg front rower playing a primary first receiver role for what felt like 4 seasons but was probably at least 2 games.

What a **** peanut.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Most NRL clubs have a prop they use as a link man on some plays.

When did "Junior Paulo" plays like a halfback become a meme. I don't remember these games.

I remember games when he may have thrown between 3-6 passes.

But it's the off season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:Most NRL clubs have a prop they use as a link man on some plays.

When did "Junior Paulo" plays like a halfback become a meme. I don't remember these games.

But it's the off season.
I don't know exactly how long it was for but there was a long period where coach should have told him to tuck the ball under his arm and run **** hard. Maybe he did tell him, but as coach if you're telling a player to do something and he isn't doing it, you hook him or drop him. We have a coach who seems more interested in being mates with the players.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

Stuart already tried Wigjton in the halves and it stunk and yes Stuart tried for a long time changing his partners switching him around but he sucked. Can’t kick can’t read besides his is a centre not a half or fb I don’t know why people rate this guy.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

AND Jennings or Alex J will never come to Raiders .
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:If Austin wasn't an arrogant twat and the Eels weren't desperate and incompetent we'd have close to $1.5 Mil a season invested in Paulo and Austin and we'd be a firm favourite for the spoon in 2019.

Luckily we dodged a bullet and miraculously offloaded probably our three worst players of 2018.

We're still a decent middle and a half short of a competitive squad but through dumb luck we're probably a stronger squad than in 2018 IMO.
Remains to be seen if we're better, but we will be different. Smaller, more mobile forwards should result in subtle changes to the way we play.

Austin, boy he could be dynamic! Unfortunately he was also inconsistent and a bit odd as a character. His X factor will be missed, but his defensive flaws won't be

Yes, we need a decent half. Actually, we need a GREAT half. Until we get one, we're aiming at a 6 -10 finish.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BadnMean wrote:Most NRL clubs have a prop they use as a link man on some plays.

But it's the off season.
Mate, it's people spouting opinion as fact.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

BadnMean wrote: December 6, 2018, 7:41 pm Most NRL clubs have a prop they use as a link man on some plays.

But it's the off season.
Probably because he would take multiple hit-ups in pretty much every game where he would take the ball standing flat footed and then attempt to step or run around defenders.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hodgson to #7, Segeyaro to spell Havili at hooker.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: December 7, 2018, 10:50 am Hodgson to #7, Segeyaro to spell Havili at hooker.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
Cuz Segy don't play for us... :hmmm
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He's off contract and scratching for a start.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's the Raiders mate..
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, yes, there are some weaknesses in my plan.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I don't think we have the cap room, not until 2020.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And when cap room becomes available we must grab Mclnnes.

He's better than Hodgo apparently.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

T_R wrote: December 7, 2018, 10:50 am Hodgson to #7, Segeyaro to spell Havili at hooker.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
I can't see us signing anyone for next season.

The more I look at our current roster the more I am warming to Whitehead at 6.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:And when cap room becomes available we must grab Mclnnes.

He's better than Hodgo apparently.
We'd probably botch it and get 12 y/o blend instead of the 25 y/o single!

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Wiki Special wrote: December 7, 2018, 12:27 pm

Tell me why I'm wrong.

With the greatest possible respect to Whitehead, if we're seriously looking at going into the year with him as starting 5/8, it may be better to just quietly disband now.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Segeyaro can't tackle very well can he? Unless I'm taking too much out of the game where Raiders targeted him and picked his defence apart.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Tell me why I'm wrong.
You're not, there's plenty of options available to this club.

Going straight after a half is not necessarily the right option.

We could chase a quality hooker or fullback and switch Hodgson or Wighton and I think we're very competitive.

Do I think coach genius would think outside the box, NO.
WorkChoice
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

T_R wrote: December 7, 2018, 12:46 pm
Wiki Special wrote: December 7, 2018, 12:27 pm

Tell me why I'm wrong.

With the greatest possible respect to Whitehead, if we're seriously looking at going into the year with him as starting 5/8, it may be better to just quietly disband now.
Fair enough. I would rather a better option but at present it appears to be a halves combination of either;

a) Sezer and Williams
b) Sezer and Wighton
or
c) Sezer and Whitehead

I don't want to move Hodgson from 9, perhaps he is an option for some too.

Option a) does nothing for me leaving b) or c). Wighton to 6 likely means Abbey to fullback to start the year. Whitehead to 6 means we allow J. Bateman to play his preferred edge back row position and keep Tapine there also.

But to be honest neither a), b) or c) is going to take us to the promised land.

*This is based on starting with who we currently have signed.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Rumours this morning Milford wants out and back to Raiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

nacho wrote: December 8, 2018, 8:12 am Rumours this morning Milford wants out and back to Raiders
I've just rang Milf and he's denied it.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

nacho wrote: December 8, 2018, 8:12 am Rumours this morning Milford wants out and back to Raiders
Where did you see those rumours?