Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Botman »

Yeah exactly. I know Wighton is a good part of our attack, but we can survive a regression in attack, if it means teams cant part the red **** sea in the red zone for easy 4 pointers.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Yes. I'm behind this 1000%

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote:The thing is.

Most of us on this forum basically agree our halves need punting.

I'm praying the people running our club are thinking the same because if they're not we are in for more torture..

I watched the 94GF again yesterday...

It's what we're taking to our graves...
I think sezer can stay, his best is in front of him for us, and niko might be what he needs, love Sam as a bloke, well spoken, but not going to gel and win us a premiership, still goes missing in games

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Wighton won't be going to 5/8. I said elsewhere that if, for example, you watch every try Rapana has scored (not the ones in 2008 for the Titans...) you'be be astonished at how many of them Wighton threw the last pass for, coming in on the classic sweep move. His timing is pretty amazing. Stuart won't give up on that.

Maybe we should see whether our low-profile remaining forwards, and allegedly low-profile forward signings, can defend. That would make Sezar and Williams look a whole lot more capable...
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Beejay wrote:Niko is a terrible defender. Don't' worry about the stats, he was Broncos version of Austin. Caused those around him to cover for his poor defence.

He's a better player than Williams overall, but I wouldn't be shelling out the money for him. Spend it elsewhere.
Much better option to get a reasonable fullback and put Wighton to 6
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 was that a serious comment ?

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote:Chad Townsend is no upgrade on either of our current halves.

We need to buy a top line half, or hope that we can bring one through. I don't see Hingano or Roache being first grade halves... maybe O'Hagan and Westcott could come through...
Niko for two years until we see, need some fresh blood

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Raidernation wrote:Not sure why this is difficult. Is sezer a 7 or a 6. If he is our 7 than we need to decide if we want experience or youth at 6. If youth than make a bid for a kid who looks good and isn’t playing I.e. drnkwater from Melbourne. If experience than go to England and get a 6 or make a bid for a player who isn’t playing in oz.

The only question we should have is whether who we have now can win a premiership or not. I would say Williams can’t so as a back up he is fine but we need a 6. We can’t defend so we need a strong defender at 6 who can kick a ball because Sezer can’t be our lone kicker, he’s not good enough for that.

At the end of the day take a punt and let’s move forward. If the player turns out to be average next season so be it, ship him off and let’s find someone else but let’s not waste our time waiting for a gem player that might not arrive knowing our half can’t do the job.
Sezer has always been a 6.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Dusty wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.
Options: A Johnston, G Jennings , ????

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Whigton
Cotric
Croker (c/c)
Bj
Oldfield
Sezer
Niko
Sia
Hodgo (c/c)
Papalli
Tapine
Bateman
Whitehead

Havilli
Knight/Sutton
Guler
Bateman/Murchie/ jj

Co captains is the go.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Lui_Bon wrote: December 4, 2018, 8:12 pm Wighton won't be going to 5/8. I said elsewhere that if, for example, you watch every try Rapana has scored (not the ones in 2008 for the Titans...) you'be be astonished at how many of them Wighton threw the last pass for, coming in on the classic sweep move. His timing is pretty amazing. Stuart won't give up on that.

Maybe we should see whether our low-profile remaining forwards, and allegedly low-profile forward signings, can defend. That would make Sezar and Williams look a whole lot more capable...
That's definitely a big part of the problem. We concede one fewer try each week and we're a top 6 football side.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Jacob Safiti lifeline?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Neeeegz wrote: December 4, 2018, 8:16 pm
Raidernation wrote:Not sure why this is difficult. Is sezer a 7 or a 6. If he is our 7 than we need to decide if we want experience or youth at 6. If youth than make a bid for a kid who looks good and isn’t playing I.e. drnkwater from Melbourne. If experience than go to England and get a 6 or make a bid for a player who isn’t playing in oz.

The only question we should have is whether who we have now can win a premiership or not. I would say Williams can’t so as a back up he is fine but we need a 6. We can’t defend so we need a strong defender at 6 who can kick a ball because Sezer can’t be our lone kicker, he’s not good enough for that.

At the end of the day take a punt and let’s move forward. If the player turns out to be average next season so be it, ship him off and let’s find someone else but let’s not waste our time waiting for a gem player that might not arrive knowing our half can’t do the job.
Sezer has always been a 6.

Couldn’t disagree more.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sezer has never, and will never be a 6.
He's a 7. He was a very good one at the titans and has been a very bad one at the Raiders.

Anyone who wants to try to argue that he's a natural 6 doesnt really know what they're talking about.
He's a classic organising 7. A bad one since arriving at this club, but that's who he is. He's not, and never has and never will be been a running 6.

The only reason anyone thinks he's a #6 is because that's the jersey he wore at the Titans, he debut there as a secondary half next to Prince, who was the captain and halfback. His best football at the Titans was as a hands on #7. Why that hasnt translated to the his time here at the Raiders and why he's been such trash here is an entirely different question
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yep and he continued to wear 6 when Kelly played five eighth and wore 7. Same sort of thing as Glenn Stewart wearing 13 for years but always playing second row.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Pigman wrote:Sezer has never, and will never be a 6.
He's a 7. He was a very good one at the titans and has been a very bad one at the Raiders.

Anyone who wants to try to argue that he's a natural 6 doesnt really know what they're talking about.
He's a classic organising 7. A bad one since arriving at this club, but that's who he is. He's not, and never has and never will be been a running 6.

The only reason anyone thinks he's a #6 is because that's the jersey he wore at the Titans, he debut there as a secondary half next to Prince, who was the captain and halfback. His best football at the Titans was as a hands on #7. Why that hasnt translated to the his time here at the Raiders and why he's been such trash here is an entirely different question
He was a good 5/8 at the titans. And you wonder why he isn't the same player. It's because he is a solid 6. And playing out of position

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Was he really that good at the titans? I mean if he was they wouldn't have effectively punted him would they?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Titans had signed Cherry Evans but the Raiders reportedly offered $1.5 million over three years, and the Titans and no other club could match it. The Titans tried to keep him.

https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p1219204

Interesting to see everyone’s reactions.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2018, 5:58 am The Titans had signed Cherry Evans but the Raiders reportedly offered $1.5 million over three years, and the Titans and no other club could match it. The Titans tried to keep him.

yea kind of like how we wanted to keep Boyd.... we would have kept him if he was cheap but happy to let him walk as soon as he as there was other interest
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2018, 5:58 am The Titans had signed Cherry Evans but the Raiders reportedly offered $1.5 million over three years, and the Titans and no other club could match it. The Titans tried to keep him.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29251&start=35#p1219204

yea kind of like how we wanted to keep Boyd.... we would have kept him if he was cheap but happy to let him walk as soon as he as there was other interest
Austin and Paulo were the same. We really aren't an organisation that appears to be desperate for success.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:12 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

I dont like Johnston, esp not as a FB.
Id be happy with either on a wing though, moving Jack to 6 and Cotric to 1.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Neeeegz wrote: December 4, 2018, 10:41 pm
Pigman wrote:Sezer has never, and will never be a 6.

He was a good 5/8 at the titans. And you wonder why he isn't the same player. It's because he is a solid 6. And playing out of position

No. As the guys above explained. There is a massive difference between wearing the #6 and being a 5/8. Traditionally 5/8s are run 1st ball players. Meaning that they are also 2nd receivers. As neither of our recognized halves are runners, its safe to say that they are halfbacks.

Modern halves vary, as there have been split halves etc for yrs now, blurring the waters. Halves are being asked to do more. Which often means that they are actually neither a 5/8 or a halfback but tweeners.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Neeeegz wrote: December 4, 2018, 8:14 pm
Beejay wrote:Niko is a terrible defender. Don't' worry about the stats, he was Broncos version of Austin. Caused those around him to cover for his poor defence.

He's a better player than Williams overall, but I wouldn't be shelling out the money for him. Spend it elsewhere.
Much better option to get a reasonable fullback and put Wighton to 6
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 was that a serious comment ?
Yes
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

kiwi raider wrote:Was he really that good at the titans? I mean if he was they wouldn't have effectively punted him would they?
Agreed, the guy is average and this whole thing about him being great at the Titans is so overblown.

His game is fundamentally flawed his first steps are sideways when he catches the ball closing the space for his outside men, which is exacerbated by the fact that he’s slow so offers no threat when he actually does decide to run himself.

He can’t organise, which is clear to see when we try to setup for a fg, however when we do get in position he struggles to even land a fg.......and he also sucks at getting a repeat set

Pretty much ticks zero boxes for a halfback
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

When we signed Sezer he was average but still young and on an upward trajectory. I still think he was a very good signing at the time. Unfortunately he has never kicked on further.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:Modern halves vary, as there have been split halves etc for yrs now, blurring the waters. Halves are being asked to do more. Which often means that they are actually neither a 5/8 or a halfback but tweeners.
So they’d be a 9/16 then?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: December 5, 2018, 10:52 am
Matt wrote:Modern halves vary, as there have been split halves etc for yrs now, blurring the waters. Halves are being asked to do more. Which often means that they are actually neither a 5/8 or a halfback but tweeners.
:thumbsup
:lol:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Unfortunately we are a bottom 8 team again in 2019. We don’t have the salary cap space to compete and recruit and 2020 looks the same. I just hope we have a 2021 plan in the working

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I thought the salary cap situation was due to look better in 2020?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

gergreg wrote: December 5, 2018, 7:16 am
kiwi raider wrote:

Austin and Paulo were the same. We really aren't an organisation that appears to be desperate for success.

How will you be successful paying massive $$ for 2 lazy and ineffective forwards and a 5/8 that couldn't read the attack
raider 4 life
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

nemesis wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 5, 2018, 7:16 am
kiwi raider wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29251&start=35#p1219204

How will you be successful paying massive $$ for 2 lazy and ineffective forwards and a 5/8 that couldn't read the attack
Dunno mate. Ask the coach, it's his team.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:
The gangers system. Never fails.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If Austin wasn't an arrogant twat and the Eels weren't desperate and incompetent we'd have close to $1.5 Mil a season invested in Paulo and Austin and we'd be a firm favourite for the spoon in 2019.

Luckily we dodged a bullet and miraculously offloaded probably our three worst players of 2018.

We're still a decent middle and a half short of a competitive squad but through dumb luck we're probably a stronger squad than in 2018 IMO.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

People are upset that Paulo and Boyd moved on?? Mystified
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 5, 2018, 5:19 pm If Austin wasn't an arrogant twat and the Eels weren't desperate and incompetent we'd have close to $1.5 Mil a season invested in Paulo and Austin and we'd be a firm favourite for the spoon in 2019.

Luckily we dodged a bullet and miraculously offloaded probably our three worst players of 2018.

We're still a decent middle and a half short of a competitive squad but through dumb luck we're probably a stronger squad than in 2018 IMO.
Agree GEM. not sure we're stronger than 2018 (would be marginal at best) however we must be in much better shape cap wise as a result of what has transpired.
d-train
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by d-train »

Matt wrote: December 5, 2018, 8:02 am
Dusty wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:12 pm

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

I dont like Johnston, esp not as a FB.
Id be happy with either on a wing though, moving Jack to 6 and Cotric to 1.
id be playing cotric in the #1. he'd be our long term option. id be looking at a cheap young winger to fill in the wingers spot. players like Phillip Sami, Sione Katoa (sharks), Reimis Smith. I'd even take Sandor Earl back. Played 9 games in intrust super cup last season and averaged 124 metres per game. He'd be hungry to get another shot in first grade before he hangs up the boots.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

sprintman wrote:People are upset that Paulo and Boyd moved on?? Mystified
Who is upset?