Raiders express interest in Shaun Johnson, he signs with Sharks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Would you like to see Shaun Johnson join the Raiders?

Yes, of course
50%
Yes, but we're no chance
40%
No, he's not what we need
10%

Total votes: 42

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by greeneyed »

I think Sydney is great, if you live in the right place... but you need to be near the harbour or beaches... go too far west and it is a wasteland.

But I certainly choose to live in Canberra. It's a great place. Wouldn't consider living in Melbourne or Brisbane... and I was born in Brisbane.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Are we doing this again?

You should all live somewhere nice like Noosa, but...you know, riff raff and all that.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

T_R wrote: November 30, 2018, 7:10 pm Are we doing this again?

You should all live somewhere nice like Noosa, but...you know, riff raff and all that.
Please dont send him here
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: November 30, 2018, 6:37 pm Sydney is horrid.
Expensive.
Congested.
Angry.

Give me Canberra any day. Nothing better than being 20 minutes (sans tolls) from anywhere.
Like most of us here, you're a neville no one, with limited disposable income and zero athletic ability. You cant afford to live anywhere nice, and the spoils of a town like sydney are never going to be known to you or i. Our experience of Sydney is not theirs. Your failure to grasp that is telling.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland... too hot, too humid.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sydney stinks.

It stinks so bad they built a bypass..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And Mrs PJ won't move to Canberra.

I was offered a posting to Canberra back when the Raiders were unbeatable.

The wife said no..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:
Expensive.
Congested.
Angry.

Give me Canberra any day. Nothing better than being 20 minutes (sans tolls) from anywhere.
Like most of us here, you're a neville no one, with limited disposable income and zero athletic ability. You cant afford to live anywhere nice, and the spoils of a town like sydney are never going to be known to you or i. Our experience of Sydney is not theirs. Your failure to grasp that is telling.
Ok. Another ad hominem post.

No, I'm not some Sydney kid. Of which, I'm guessing most league players come from the west. But hey, go Bondi.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sydney house price.....circa $ 1mill. Whats the average NRL player earn? $371k

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nrl+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Canberra average house price? $571k

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=canb ... e&ie=UTF-8

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Queensland... too hot, too humid.
Ah, that Noosa sea breeze.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And Strawpig? Some very wealthy people here choose NOT to live in Sydney.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There are pros and cons of every area.
And not every area appeals to everyone... Some people actually like living in QLD, and think it's great. There is no reasonable amount of money... i mean if they slap a million bucks in front of me, ill move to **** Siberia... but other wise there isnt anything that could get me or my wife to move to QLD. My wife grew up there, hates it only marginally more than me.

You'll never convince me QLD, anywhere in QLD is better than Canberra. But i've got mates who think Canberra is planet Hoth and that anything under 20 degrees requires a heater. Horses for courses.

But the stark reality for our club is this, the VERY VAST majority of professional 18-30 y/o athletes fall into the genre of people who the idea of Canberra, is abhorrent. They are me with Brisbane, many here with Sydney, where they would need substantially more income to come to Canberra than it takes them to stay in other places. That's reality
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I think it's subjective. You're making it seem absolute.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
You're in Eumundi, yeah?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: November 30, 2018, 7:28 pm
Pigman wrote:
Expensive.
Congested.
Angry.

Boy that's a **** bold claim given the post i quoted.
Apparently the pot can call the kettle black, and then probably make some disgusting remarks about it's colour.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: November 30, 2018, 7:33 pm
I was on the Sunshine Coast earlier this year... oppressively hot!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sunny Coast can get very hot, but oppressive is probably how I'd describe Townsville

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Expensive.
Congested.
Angry.

Apparently the pot can call the kettle black, and then probably make some disgusting remarks about it's colour.
ad hominem

/ad ˈhɒmɪnɛm/

adverb and adjective

(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

"an ad hominem response"

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I've seen a lot of Queensland.

It's a nice place but gets real hot.

But it gets hot everywhere, it's going to hit high 30s on Sunday here..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: November 30, 2018, 7:49 pm
Pigman wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Expensive.
Congested.
Angry.

ad hominem

/ad ˈhɒmɪnɛm/

adverb and adjective

(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

"an ad hominem response"
Im aware of the meaning. Perhaps you should more closely examine the exchange.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

Chuck in the Aux chord and Tuuuurn it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Has anyone mentioned mountain biking trails yet?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

:lol:

This is turning into an annual event.
WorkChoice
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

LP Raider wrote:

This is turning into an annual event.
Noosa is nice... until you have to converse with it's non-holidaying residence and you realise poisoning the Noosa water supply would make it a whole lot nicer for everyone else to enjoyImage

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:Sydney house price.....circa $ 1mill. Whats the average NRL player earn? $371k

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nrl+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Canberra average house price? $571k

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=canb ... e&ie=UTF-8

I’m afraid that ABS shows Median Canberra house price at $680,000 and rising.

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats ... 641604.xls
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So..
This has gone from interest in Shaun Johnson to house prices and weather !!!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We're trying to help Shaun spend his disposable income, find a quality house where the weather is desirable.Image

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fairynuff..
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ahhh the old Canberra is a hole lamentations.

Here is the deal. Canberra has improved a massive amount over the last 10 or so years. It really does have a lot going for it and the bad raps it gets, while maybe fair 20 years ago are becoming less applicable day by day.

There are great places to eat and drink and plenty of things going on all year round.

However, it is not and has never been a simple Canberra > Sydney or vica versa argument.

Even if 5/10 people prefer Canberra over Sydney the problem is this: 90% of rugby league is in Sydney and Brisbane. A Sydney based player might like Canberra just fine. But any such player worth his salt at contract time will probably have other suitors within his current city. If he can get similar money within Sydney, why would he shift his life to Canberra when he can shift his workplace 20/30 mins down the road?

There are two things which change this equation: making said player an offer he can’t refuse 💵 or building a club culture which is synonymous with success.

So yes, we will pay a Canberra tax for good players, but it has less to do with desirability as a location as it has to do with the availability of easier alternatives.

It is an easy decision for most to make as our club is anathema to succes. We desperately need to be successful to give ourselves a fighting chance on the market.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shaun Johnson signs three-year contract with Cronulla Sharks

Kiwi star Shaun Johnson has today signed a three-year contract with the Cronulla Sharks.

Johnson was in the Sutherland Shire today, where he accepted the new deal, with the New Zealand playmaker to represent the Cronulla club through until the end of the 2021 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/01/sha ... la-sharks/

Video: Shaun Johnson speaks about joining the Sharks: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/01/sha ... la-sharks/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The Sharks are still missing a decent hooker. You can't win a premiership without a quality hooker.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

SJ seemed very impressed by the beaches in Cronulla

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Would you make a play for Chad Townsend? Fairly average half but he has got good hair.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Awesome, Sam Williams for another 3 years then

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Dusty wrote: December 1, 2018, 11:50 am SJ seemed very impressed by the beaches in Cronulla

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Did anyone see that artificial wave pool in qld

https://www.surf-lakes.com.au/

we need something like that to attract high profile players