Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by papabear »

Schifty wrote: November 11, 2018, 9:06 am
papabear wrote: November 11, 2018, 7:39 am
Schifty wrote: November 10, 2018, 10:40 pm Is a tax grab still a tax grab if you're removing a tax concession :hmmm
If you tax bananas at 20 percent no matter retail wholesale whatever keep it simple no credits.

Then the banana farmers all start going broke as people’s taste move towards pears and apples. The govt thinks that’s harsh we will bring that banana tax down and if you own your banana trees for a year you only have to pay half of the 20 percent tax. The govt of the day calls it the big banana concension.

Some banana players move on some survive but the market eventually falls into line.

Some time later a party announces **** banana farmers we a removing the big banana concession on old banana plantations but you can have it on new trees.

In my mind that is a big banana tax grab.

Only a Venezuelan communist would think otherwise.

Or you are so sensitive about housing you refuse to see logic on the issue.
People's taste in housing isn't going anywhere.

Also the policy doesn't effect those that are currently negatively geared, it just means in the future you can only do it on a new property and not an existing one.

So it just moves the incentives for investors into new developments that add stock to the market.

Investors are still free to buy existing property, it just means they'll have to be positively geared.
certain suburbs are going to have negatively geared property no matter how you roll the dice.

It is just unfortunate that those that invest in those suburbs will now have to pay more tax if this policy gets through.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
Schifty wrote: November 11, 2018, 9:06 am
papabear wrote: November 11, 2018, 7:39 am
Schifty wrote: November 10, 2018, 10:40 pm Is a tax grab still a tax grab if you're removing a tax concession :hmmm
If you tax bananas at 20 percent no matter retail wholesale whatever keep it simple no credits.

Then the banana farmers all start going broke as people’s taste move towards pears and apples. The govt thinks that’s harsh we will bring that banana tax down and if you own your banana trees for a year you only have to pay half of the 20 percent tax. The govt of the day calls it the big banana concension.

Some banana players move on some survive but the market eventually falls into line.

Some time later a party announces **** banana farmers we a removing the big banana concession on old banana plantations but you can have it on new trees.

In my mind that is a big banana tax grab.

Only a Venezuelan communist would think otherwise.

Or you are so sensitive about housing you refuse to see logic on the issue.
People's taste in housing isn't going anywhere.

Also the policy doesn't effect those that are currently negatively geared, it just means in the future you can only do it on a new property and not an existing one.

So it just moves the incentives for investors into new developments that add stock to the market.

Investors are still free to buy existing property, it just means they'll have to be positively geared.
certain suburbs are going to have negatively geared property no matter how you roll the dice.

It is just unfortunate that those that invest in those suburbs will now have to pay more tax if this policy gets through.
But isn't it grandfathered?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

It is, but that doesn't help the argument.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Posting for future reference - November 2018.

https://www.afr.com/real-estate/these-6 ... 115-h17yld

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Another day, another crappy labor policy released. Why Bill Shorten doesnt just shup up shop close his mouoth and get elected on the failings of the coalition is beyond me. But he is determined to play winners and losers in the economy and stump up some more middle class welfare.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/labor-to-of ... nergy-plan

My first thought was if you want to encourage renewables just remove all of the subsidies on coal, I presumed coal was heavily subsidised because I think it was our resident hippies on this website who keep proclaiming that to be the case.

So I went to friend google and down the bunny path of coal based subsidies which led me to this website:-
https://www.marketforces.org.au/campaig ... subsidies/

Now I sure as **** hope there is a lot more to coal subsidies then what was on this website because:-
- 1 - oil is not coal, oil powers cars, coal powers homes.
- 2 - a subsidy is the government giving money to a pig with their head in the trough. A subsidy is not the removal of legalised theft (taxation). A fuel tax credit which makes up the bulk of these "subsidies" (and tbh the rest on this list are pretty much the same) is just giving you a credit on the tax you paid (fuel excise) on the petrol you purchased.

Now I am not an expert on energy policy and will never claim to be. So I am not going to touch on what labor should or should not announce in respect of energy, but focus on this policy.

Look at what happened in child care when it was subsidised - child care prices went up, businesses charge as much as they can, if they know people are willing to pay 10k on batteries that is what they will charge, now that people receive an extra 2k no doubt the cost will go up.

I am not a fan of any discrimination whether it be why of marriage, or taxable income.

But **** me, another policy that **** you if you have a high income, I am not sure how you can justify such discrimination, thus you have a **** discriminatory policy.

Will it help the poor, I am note sure 2k cash back on an installation is an option for poor people.

Eitherway to me, whilst this might not be a toxic dump of a mess that labors policy on housing is, I fail again to see how they get votes from it? Maybe a few people who were getting solar anyways will now through them a vote but im not sure that offsets people who give a **** about govts not playing favourites in the market. Again IMO this another policy you do once elected (aka krudds 900 bucks, you dont lead with it into an election).

IMO you dont get the people who vote on renewables because they are going green over labor and not coalition already so no more votes there.

The more this goes on the more I am thinking, labors people think shortens problem is people dont know him or like him enough so they need to put on the camera more promising money so people will like him. IMO this is faulty, you win the election easier because people dont like the government not by trying to polish up old mate shorten.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It was a strange choice.

We looked at battery storage for our new place. The price was about $12,800 to buy and install. The installer was very frank in telling us that there is no way we would save that back in less than a decade, and the useful life of the battery was also about ten years.

Even with a couple of grand back in the pocket, it's way too early for these batteries to go mainstream quite yet.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anything done on small scale at individual household level, is, almost by definition, going to be one of the most expensive ways of generating power or supplying water. If individuals want to do it, fine... and they find the investment worthwhile. And there might not be an option in remote areas. But it is never worthwhile for governments to invest in household level power generation or water supply.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Anything done on small scale at individual household level, is, almost by definition, going to be one of the most expensive ways of generating power or supplying water. If individuals want to do it, fine... and they find the investment worthwhile. And there might not be an option in remote areas. But it is never worthwhile for governments to invest in household level power generation or water supply.
What do you base that on GE? Hypothetically if solar and battery storage were to improve to be both cheap and efficient enough that a building can maintain itself then what’s the problem?

Centralised maintenance would potentially be offset by nil distribution costs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is because of economies of scale. If individuals want to invest in their own energy production and water supply for their households, fine. But if governments are going to subsidise "cleaner energy" and water production, it is much better to provide subsidy to large scale production (eg subsidise wind farms, build dams). Bottom line is... it is cheaper.

I don't actually think subsidies should be provided in any event. It is by no means clear that either water or energy are "public goods". Both are essentially private goods in their nature and can be provided by the market.

If you want to reduce carbon emissions due to concerns about climate change... well clearly there are externalties there that the market are not pricing in. So the appropriate government intervention, for this market failure is to put a price on carbon.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So essentially no logic in this particular instance then?

Because extending your logic broadly without considering the specifics suggests homes shouldn’t have airconditioners, as economies of scale are always more efficient. It would be better to create cool air somewhere else and pipe it to all homes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: November 23, 2018, 6:09 pm So essentially no logic in this particular instance then?

Because extending your logic broadly without considering the specifics suggests homes shouldn’t have airconditioners, as economies of scale are always more efficient. It would be better to create cool air somewhere else and pipe it to all homes.
Sorry, but home air conditioning is a good that has completely different characteristics to the production of energy and water. You can't achieve economies of scale with home airconditioning. You can with the production of energy and water. It's pretty simple.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There are costs to balance in generation and distribution and I suspect there is likely to be a cost/efficiency point that would make home electricity generation economically sensible. Who knows what that is - I haven’t done the calculation, and I doubt you have - so ruling it out based on your ideology is pretty damn daft in my opinion.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:There are costs to balance in generation and distribution and I suspect there is likely to be a cost/efficiency point that would make home electricity generation economically sensible. Who knows what that is - I haven’t done the calculation, and I doubt you have - so ruling it out based on your ideology is pretty damn daft in my opinion.
So is ruling it in

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If you haven’t done the homework, absolutely.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:If you haven’t done the homework, absolutely.
Because to be constantly driven by ideology is intellectually dishonest?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Because if you’re driven by ideology and not logic/evidence you make sub-optimal decisions. And sure, it’s not particularly intellectually rigorous is it?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Noted. Thanks.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: November 23, 2018, 7:08 pm If you haven’t done the homework, absolutely.
What makes you think I haven't done my homework?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Statistically speaking it’s unlikely. I’m all ears though.

You’ll note I never said you hadn’t.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:Statistically speaking it’s unlikely. I’m all ears though.

You’ll note I never said you hadn’t.
I’ve actually already explained it. And my view is based on a considerable body of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

At least they are trying to do something about climate change. Let's not forget the current PM used a lump of coal as a prop during Parliamentary question time.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:At least they are trying to do something about climate change. Let's not forget the current PM used a lump of coal as a prop during Parliamentary question time.

What impact will this policy have on the clinate?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:At least they are trying to do something about climate change. Let's not forget the current PM used a lump of coal as a prop during Parliamentary question time.

Hopefully more people using solar instead of coal with greater investment in renewables, making the technology cheaper and better will help in the longer term?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

Hopefully more people using solar instead of coal with greater investment in renewables, making the technology cheaper and better will help in the longer term?

With what measurable impact, best case?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The vast weight of scientific evidence indicates that carbon pollution is causing climate change. The measures that are being proposed will do very little and will be expensive. What is needed is to place a price on carbon, so as to reduce emissions... that's the cheapest and most efficient way of doing it. World wide action is needed, as what Australia does by itself doesn't do much. But every country has to play its part if the problem is to be addressed. Unfortunately, the state of public debate is so low, the fringes of the political spectrum have hijacked the whole debate... we see it in a whole range of areas, unfortunately... from climate change to anti vaxers.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Social media has given everyone the opportunity to shout their opinion to the world, and has created the misconception that all opinions are equal.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

I have absolutely no idea. But coal is bad and solar is good right?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: November 24, 2018, 4:23 pm
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

One would imagine, yes. But at any cost?

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The Liberals hammered in Victoria.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely massive victory. Predicting over 60 seats for Labor on ABC News coverage.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 24, 2018, 4:23 pm
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:What impact will this policy have on the clinate?

One would imagine, yes. But at any cost?
If the world depended on it?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I heard an apparently true story that T_R and 99 mates were beaten up by one guy as they correctly assessed he was a better fighter than all of them and their individual contribution would be no good.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boy that's a bad analogy.
Unless the 1 is Mike Tyson, and we're talking about TR and his 99 mates as daycare toddlers. In which case it's pretty accurate.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

How about if the 1 was Jack Wighton?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Lyle Shelton thinks the election result is because the Libs weren't right wing enough :lol: