Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 17, 2018, 11:45 am Johnson is snowflakes chance, but I'm still holding out hopes for TPJ.

I know Fensom isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'd be quite happy to have him back in our squad as another experienced middle for next season.
I'd prefer TPJ and Fensom over Johnson.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Broncos didnt just clear a bunch of cap space to NOT keep TPJ
forget about it
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Pigman wrote:The Broncos didnt just clear a bunch of cap space to NOT keep TPJ
forget about it
I don’t think TPJ wants to be at a Bennett-less Broncos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Broncos making room to raid our pomes

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Green eyed Mick wrote: November 17, 2018, 7:12 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 17, 2018, 11:45 am Johnson is snowflakes chance, but I'm still holding out hopes for TPJ.

I know Fensom isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'd be quite happy to have him back in our squad as another experienced middle for next season.
Respectfully disagree. TPJ is awesome but we need a quality half and Johnson is just that.

I’m truly surprised at any Raiders fan who could overlook a rep-level half. Have you guys been watching the last two decades?

We can produce and attract quality forwards. We’ve got four international backrowers in the team right now. But we haven’t had a rep-level half for twenty years. Johnson isn’t peak level Thurston or peak level Cronk - the perfect style of player we need - but damn he’s a whole lot better than anyone we’ve had in that position in a long time.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

But I do agree with Seiffert that we’re probably unlikely to sign Johnson. (My natural optimism has us slightly ahead of a snowflake’s chance but not much.)
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

Johnson is an after thought - let’s focus on reality like Norman - if not we are dooooomed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Norman would be an unmitigated disaster at the club.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

And that’s that for getting Dufty.

It’s going to be a long season.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

With the Broncos making space I could see Johnson going there to partner Milford.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Kahu given permission to negotiate with other clubs. If we don’t get Johnson, Wighton —> 6
Cotric —> 1
Kahu —> 2
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Respectfully disagree. TPJ is awesome but we need a quality half and Johnson is just that.

I’m truly surprised at any Raiders fan who could overlook a rep-level half. Have you guys been watching the last two decades?

We can produce and attract quality forwards. We’ve got four international backrowers in the team right now. But we haven’t had a rep-level half for twenty years. Johnson isn’t peak level Thurston or peak level Cronk - the perfect style of player we need - but damn he’s a whole lot better than anyone we’ve had in that position in a long time.
Yeah, an upgrade on our halves is always a focus, but you also need to be realistic.

Many will disagree, but as our current squad stands, I think Williams and Sezer can do a job for us. Irrespective of quality, depth is an issue in both the front row and halves positions. We should target quality players who are genuine chances of coming here and not drop the ball on those opportunities in going after red herrings (which is what Johnson is).

TPJ would be an awesome addition and Fenno would plug a hole in our squad right now. I hope both are legitimate options.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 18, 2018, 7:09 am

Yeah, an upgrade on our halves is always a focus, but you also need to be realistic.

Many will disagree, but as our current squad stands, I think Williams and Sezer can do a job for us. Irrespective of quality, depth is an issue in both the front row and halves positions. We should target quality players who are genuine chances of coming here and not drop the ball on those opportunities in going after red herrings (which is what Johnson is).

TPJ would be an awesome addition and Fenno would plug a hole in our squad right now. I hope both are legitimate options.
I agree that sezer/William's is a better halves pairing than anyone is willing to give credit for.
If my memory serves me correctly every time this year when we had William's and sezer in the halves they seemed to go quite well and be a pretty serviceable combo. They both produced their best footy together.
If we signed fensom and TPJ our forward pack would be complete, and one of the best packs in the comp without a doubt.

BUT, I think we should be going all out to sign johnson, good forwards come and go but it's not often that a player the quality of shaun johnson is a possibility of coming to Canberra so we really need to get this one over the line.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Also on fensom, he seems to have found a home at my local gym.
I have seen him a number of times now, he is training alone doing a lot of cardio seemingly preparing for preseason. So going off that, I think as long as he is here there is a chance he will re join the raiders.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or he could just be going to the gym keeping fit.. y'know
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 18, 2018, 1:15 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 18, 2018, 7:09 am

I agree that sezer/William's is a better halves pairing than anyone is willing to give credit for.
If my memory serves me correctly every time this year when we had William's and sezer in the halves they seemed to go quite well and be a pretty serviceable combo. They both produced their best footy together.
If we signed fensom and TPJ our forward pack would be complete, and one of the best packs in the comp without a doubt.

BUT, I think we should be going all out to sign johnson, good forwards come and go but it's not often that a player the quality of shaun johnson is a possibility of coming to Canberra so we really need to get this one over the line.
I see what you're saying, Seiffert, and if Johnson is as much a pie-in-the-sky signing as most big-name players then I agree it'd be a shame to miss other good options while pursuing a lost cause.

But if there's any glimpse of a real chance of signing Johnson, then I'm with JezTez.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

People really want Fensom back? Lol
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Raiders666 wrote: November 18, 2018, 3:30 pm People really want Fensom back? Lol
I cant fathom why anyone wants fenno back, nice bloke, gave 110% but is a deadset plodder who gives away a million penalties per game, we have one if them already in bateman (the aussie one)
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

-TW- wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:02 pm Or he could just be going to the gym keeping fit.. y'know
Oh Yeah because he has no interest whatsoever in playing footy or finding a club to jump into pre season with, y'know.... he's just the average joe tryna keep fit for fun 🤣🤣🤔🙃
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 18, 2018, 3:39 pm
-TW- wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:02 pm Or he could just be going to the gym keeping fit.. y'know
Oh Yeah because he has no interest whatsoever in playing footy or finding a club to jump into pre season with, y'know.... he's just the average joe tryna keep fit for fun 🤣🤣🤔🙃
Id say he is keeping fit, making sure hes ready for a call up to an nrl club, his manager is probably feverishly trying to find him a club, i hope that club isnt us.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Did the cowboys release him?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Unfortunately the modern game has passed Fenno by.

You can’t survive as a forward without speed, footwork, size and lateral movement.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Just checked Zero Tackle and there's well over 100 players off contract next year. I really hope we've already identified our targets and are negotiating. It won't take long until all the best players are signed up.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

I'm not sure if another club has picked him up already but I noticed that the Dragons released Hame Sele. He would be a good pick up as a bench forward, he's still young and has more potential than say Lui or Bateman.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

BigPapa wrote: November 18, 2018, 7:19 pm Just checked Zero Tackle and there's well over 100 players off contract next year. I really hope we've already identified our targets and are negotiating. It won't take long until all the best players are signed up.
Yep and 90-95% of them are not even worth signing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

There’s usually a reason clubs let these Fringe lower grade (or less than a dozen NRL) players go. For every one player who suddenly kicks on unexpectedly, 20 disappear into the second tier.

Look at how many fringe Raiders players we have let go that GH people think we should have re-signed. Most of them have proven to be nothing.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Taupau rumoured to be on the look out for another club. I know I'm stating the obvious, and appreciate it's been suggested already, but he'd be a handy pick up and I hope we are making enquiries.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0edaa7e98b
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:There’s usually a reason clubs let these Fringe lower grade (or less than a dozen NRL) players go. For every one player who suddenly kicks on unexpectedly, 20 disappear into the second tier.

Look at how many fringe Raiders players we have let go that GH people think we should have re-signed. Most of them have proven to be nothing.
Yep.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

BJ wrote: November 18, 2018, 9:29 pm There’s usually a reason clubs let these Fringe lower grade (or less than a dozen NRL) players go. For every one player who suddenly kicks on unexpectedly, 20 disappear into the second tier.

You mean to tell me that Luke PAGE didn't go on to become an immortal?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Luke Priddis
Luke Phillips
Ben Kennedy
Brent Kite
Luke Williamson
Michael Monaghan
Jamie Soward
Michael Robertson
Jarred Lawrence
Mark Bryant

Off the top of my head...

We should make a list of the best players the Raiders missed, let go or sacked! I reckon it’d be a first class team.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Anyteam could do that Fergus

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Timbo wrote:
BJ wrote: November 18, 2018, 9:29 pm There’s usually a reason clubs let these Fringe lower grade (or less than a dozen NRL) players go. For every one player who suddenly kicks on unexpectedly, 20 disappear into the second tier.

You mean to tell me that Luke PAGE didn't go on to become an immortal?
Well that was obviously a flaw in the way the Immortal concept is applied.

I want PAGE and the Cornish brothers to be the 14-16th immortals. With Connor McLeod the 17th.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

There’s one very good reason that Kahu is looking to be moved on and that is he stinks. He’s a reserve grader on good money because he got picked for NZ.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2018, 9:31 am Luke Priddis
Luke Phillips
Ben Kennedy
Brent Kite
Luke Williamson
Michael Monaghan
Jamie Soward
Michael Robertson
Jarred Lawrence
Mark Bryant

Off the top of my head...

We should make a list of the best players the Raiders missed, let go or sacked! I reckon it’d be a first class team.
Wow look at list of plodders, ummm, ahhh... I mean immortals.... :roll: :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All of them went on to win premierships with other clubs, I believe.