Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu »

The problem with all this talk is unless salaries are published its impossible to know whether a deal is good or bad.

Those players are all better than some of our 13 but they would possibly all be coming at a big premium.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Timbo wrote:This thread really is getting ridiculous with people saying who they wouldn't take. Choosing beggars the lot of you.

Need I remind you:

Our first choice fullback is a centre.

Our first choice halfback is park footy player.

Our first choice props are journeymen and kids.

Our first choice winger is out for six months.

But no, the same muppets who've been plodding around for the last two years are the ones to get it done. Lets not add anything :roll:

FWIW I reckon we'll probably add two more names, I'm thinking blokes along the lines of Dufty and Moses. Frankly, I don't care if they are good enough to win us a premiership - all I want are players who are actually going to be putting pressure on the FG starters to play better.

Who is going to be putting pressure on Williams and Sezer? Hingano? Yeah, yeah nah. What about our three-quarter line? Abbey? I think we've seen what he offers and it's best described as David Milne lite.

We're already the dumbest, laziest side in the league and people are cool with our roster the way it is. Jesus wept.
We can't all piss and moan about our salary cap position and then sign spuds like Hayne, Moses (God help us) and Dufty as backups. We're not the Broncos or Roosters.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

This thread is a circus

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Let's get excited when we have $$$...

Our hierarchy have has bent over, we'll take what's coming our way.

It won't be pretty for at least 12months.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: November 9, 2018, 11:51 am The problem with all this talk is unless salaries are published its impossible to know whether a deal is good or bad.

Those players are all better than some of our 13 but they would possibly all be coming at a big premium.
If player salaries are published club budgets will also be published.

It would be a big change. Within a week there would be a real life super coach
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote: November 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
edwahu wrote: November 9, 2018, 11:51 am The problem with all this talk is unless salaries are published its impossible to know whether a deal is good or bad.

If player salaries are published club budgets will also be published.

It would be a big change. Within a week there would be a real life super coach
Why? We know the cap, I don't see what else would need to be published.

It's done in all the US sports and only creates positives from what I can see. The players unions are the ones that usually want to publish them because it's beneficial to the players and stops situations like with Klemmer getting a dud deal because he didn't understand his value in the market.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

We all know the real reason why they don't publish salaries.

Because then the Broncos would have to front cameras and claim they're paying current rep players $150k and try to do it with a straight face.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

This thread is pointless until we get the off-field operations up to a competent, professional standard rather than the current amateur Queanbeyanepotism.

Otherwise it’s deck chairs/Titanic stuff
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: November 9, 2018, 11:46 am This thread really is getting ridiculous with people saying who they wouldn't take. Choosing beggars the lot of you.

Need I remind you:

But no, the same muppets who've been plodding around for the last two years are the ones to get it done. Lets not add anything :roll:

FWIW I reckon we'll probably add two more names, I'm thinking blokes along the lines of Dufty and Moses. Frankly, I don't care if they are good enough to win us a premiership - all I want are players who are actually going to be putting pressure on the FG starters to play better.

Who is going to be putting pressure on Williams and Sezer? Hingano? Yeah, yeah nah. What about our three-quarter line? Abbey? I think we've seen what he offers and it's best described as David Milne lite.

We're already the dumbest, laziest side in the league and people are cool with our roster the way it is. Jesus wept.
If you think a club likes ours should be buying players for the sake of it, and not considering their value, then you might as well hand in your application to the club now, because you're right in their wheel house

Moses, the Burgii and who ever might be better players than we have right now, but if we have to pay a Burgess 300k a year to get him here and he's only a 10-15% upgrade on a guy we're paying 200k, that's not going to solve our problems

Moses is going to cost us 800k a year, and he isnt even THAT much better than the guys we have now. Why should we pay top dollar to get the same results? That'd be **** crazy.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Pigman wrote: November 9, 2018, 2:53 pm
Timbo wrote: November 9, 2018, 11:46 am This thread really is getting ridiculous with people saying who they wouldn't take. Choosing beggars the lot of you.

Need I remind you:

If you think a club likes ours should be buying players for the sake of it, and not considering their value, then you might as well hand in your application to the club now, because you're right in their wheel house

Moses, the Burgii and who ever might be better players than we have right now, but if we have to pay a Burgess 300k a year to get him here and he's only a 10-15% upgrade on a guy we're paying 200k, that's not going to solve our problems

Moses is going to cost us 800k a year, and he isnt even THAT much better than the guys we have now. Why should we pay top dollar to get the same results? That'd be **** crazy.
Exactly, Spot on. Someone with some common sense, Well done.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm a big fan of Wighton to 5/8, as I think it will significantly improve our weakest defensive area.

If this Dufty rumour is correct then it's a great improvement overall. He's a handy player himself, but we keep the depth across the outside backs.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Red V mad to shop around Matt Dufty: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.zer ... 37683/amp/

Gotta agree with this, Dufty is only 22 years old and could potentially become a superstar. Would be a great signing
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Im all for Dufty coming, hes a quality player, my whole family (on wifes side and on mine) are dragons fans and they all think dufty has a massive future, also you cant teach pure speed and he has it in spades
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

general consensus on duffty seems to be

Pros
- Super quick
- Big potential
- Good link player
- Good attacking player

Cons
- Misses too many tackles
- Not good under the high ball
- Terrible at taking an early hit up to get the ball out of the teams own end
- Not worth the price tag being reported
- Inconsistent (as were the rest of the dragons squad for the 2nd half of last year)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I doubt anyone talking about signing Moses is expecting to pay 800k to do it. Nor would they pay that much if that was his asking price.
I can't see any club paying 800k for Moses without parra chipping in. He'd probably end up going to england to try and get a better deal.

I'd say no to signing him because of his defense.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

zim wrote: November 9, 2018, 3:59 pm I doubt anyone talking about signing Moses is expecting to pay 800k to do it. Nor would they pay that much if that was his asking price.
I can't see any club paying 800k for Moses without parra chipping in. He'd probably end up going to england to try and get a better deal.

Exactly.

Where did I say I’d pay 800 for Moses? I’m not a total idiot. All I know is Parra want him out the door, and the question is how much of that 800 will they wear.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Take Dufty and shift Wighton to 5/8.

I'd be quite settled with the makeup of the squad.

Johnston and Gurgess would still be a no for me, both are very inconsistent with one having terrible handling errors and the other in all honesty would be handy with Reece Robinson in a touch footy side.

SJ a no brainer, however people have short memories and don't think he would move to a **** hole as he describe the place after a test match.

In all honesty you have the players which can play, its really up to the coach to manage it game day.
WorkChoice
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Dufty needs an attitude adjustment. From all reports James Graham handed him his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Ronny P wrote: November 9, 2018, 4:33 pm Dufty needs an attitude adjustment. From all reports James Graham handed him his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
As was with Vaughan, maybe a change will be good for him.

He is a talent Imo and would benefit us.
WorkChoice
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Timbo wrote:
zim wrote: November 9, 2018, 3:59 pm I doubt anyone talking about signing Moses is expecting to pay 800k to do it. Nor would they pay that much if that was his asking price.

Exactly.

Where did I say I’d pay 800 for Moses? I’m not a total idiot. All I know is Parra want him out the door, and the question is how much of that 800 will they wear.
I say this with the utmost honesty. I'd rather have Williams in the side than Moses, in fact a large bag of potato chips would be better than Moses. BJ would commit an on-field murder if Moses was here.

*note: Moses > salt n vinegar

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

James Gavet has been release from his final year of his contract for disciplinary reasons. Would be a cheap prop that goes good.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Gavet to knights. Really comes across as a knob onfield too. Fires the opposition up then disappears
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Id prefer norman, johnson and hayne to dufty (in that order too)
I think norman can bring the most of what we lack to the team. Hes sound defensively and his ability to force repeat sets is exceptional. Not sure of his ability to kick a field goal as the eels arent usually close enough to winning to bother. Yes the eels have been poor with him but honestly, i dont think norman has been the reason behind that.
Johnson brings a lot of what weve had, but better with a field goal kicking bonus.
Hayne, yeah this is a gut call. Probably wrong but its a punt id take.
Down my personal list but dufty still improves our squad given we can unwilliams and have jack in the defensive line.
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

VictorTheViking wrote:This thread is a circus

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Nah, a circus is fun and has elephants. I guess we have Frank......

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

simo wrote: November 9, 2018, 6:45 pm Id prefer norman, johnson and hayne to dufty (in that order too)
I think norman can bring the most of what we lack to the team. Hes sound defensively and his ability to force repeat sets is exceptional. Not sure of his ability to kick a field goal as the eels arent usually close enough to winning to bother. Yes the eels have been poor with him but honestly, i dont think norman has been the reason behind that.
Johnson brings a lot of what weve had, but better with a field goal kicking bonus.
Down my personal list but dufty still improves our squad given we can unwilliams and have jack in the defensive line.
You're **** insane. Any sane person would have the order as this

Johnson
Dufty
Daylight
Norman and hayne battling it out for last place which they are good at. Whichever comes cheaper but I wouldn't have either of those douchebags at my club and neither would Ricky or anyone with half a brain.

I literally can not stop laughing at the fact you had norman at the top of your list and then topped it off by saying he is defensively sound and he is what the team has been lacking. :shock: :lol:

End the thread, shut it down! I've seen enough.

Thank you and goodnight.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: November 9, 2018, 6:45 pm Id prefer norman, johnson and hayne to dufty (in that order too)
Yeah im pretty much with this. Johnson i think it the best option and would suit our team quite well IMO... but of the three options there, I dont think Norman is really that good but of all the options that's the one i favour most.
I'd swap Hayne and Dufty, because Dufty is younger and has IMO more upside at this stage of their careers, Hayne has obviously done amazing things in his career but he'll be 31 by the time the season kicks off and to me he hasnt really looked like a consistent difference maker since coming back from his failed NFL bid.

The reason i favour Norman is it allows Wighton to stay at fullback, where as Dufty who i think is talented but certainly no sure thing, means shifting Wighton, which may prove to be a terrible mistake.
Dufty v Johnston as fullbacks is an interesting discussion at the three stooges have probably had a good long chat about.
Last edited by Botman on November 9, 2018, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Norman is literally a poor man's blake austin + massive off field behavioural issues + the attitude of a mule. As I've said before, there's a reason the team who has won 5 wooden spoons in the last 7 years or so are DESPERATELY trying to offload him and have all but confirmed he will not be re-signed when his contract ends if he does not depart earlier. Sadly, no other club in the nrl is interested in the slightest. Not to mention he would be coming at a premium of 700k+ when based on form and everything that he has never achieved in his career his true value should be around the 300k mark.

If we were to sign Corey norman we would of been much, much better just keeping blake austin **** :hi at least he bled green, always tried his heart out and actually has some previous form, unlike norman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Norman is a proven, repeated liability off the field. Hayne is also a big ego and a big problem off field. Same deal both of them. These days, neither are strong performers on field either. If they were at their peak on field it might be a different matter. But, of course, we couldn't afford them if they were.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is no man in professional RL poorer than Blake Austin IMO.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

You dont want a douchebag at our club? Oh man are you in the wrong sport. Plus ricks our coach.
I pointed out the things that norman brings that we lack. Norman has a skill set that we could really use. What does dufty bring that we lack? A small body at the back and quickness around our more mobile pack this year? Id prefer jack at the back ahead of him and norman would allow that. Willing to cop insanity on hayne. I think im stupid for thinking it too but we’re all allowed our moments of stupidity (see: your life)
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 9, 2018, 7:24 pm Norman is literally a poor man's blake austin + massive off field behavioural issues + the attitude of a mule. As I've said before, there's a reason the team who has won 5 wooden spoons in the last 7 years or so are DESPERATELY trying to offload him and have all but confirmed he will not be re-signed when his contract ends if he does not depart earlier. Sadly, no other club in the nrl is interested in the slightest. Not to mention he would be coming at a premium of 700k+ when based on form and everything that he has never achieved in his career his true value should be around the 300k mark.

If we were to sign Corey norman we would of been much, much better just keeping blake austin **** :hi at least he bled green, always tried his heart out and actually has some previous form, unlike norman.
Despite the many inaccuracies of a lot of what youve said, in what world do you think norman is comanding 700k now after hes recieved no interest? The bloke can play football. Lifeline at canberra. Dont want to have to stay in canberra? You need to earn your way out by using those footy skills to make other clubs notice you.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote: November 9, 2018, 7:22 pm
Yeah im pretty much with this. Johnson i think it the best option and would suit our team quite well IMO... but of the three options there, I dont think Norman is really that good but of all the options that's the one i favour most.
I'd swap Hayne and Dufty, because Dufty is younger and has IMO more upside at this stage of their careers, Hayne has obviously done amazing things in his career but he'll be 31 by the time the season kicks off and to me he hasnt really looked like a consistent difference maker since coming back from his failed NFL bid.

The reason i favour Norman is it allows Wighton to stay at fullback, where as Dufty who i think is talented but certainly no sure thing, means shifting Wighton, which may prove to be a terrible mistake.
Dufty v Johnston as fullbacks is an interesting discussion at the three stooges have probably had a good long chat about.
Hayne just strikes me as a ricky character. I feel we have enough game breaking characters here that it wouldnt be the hayne show. I dont know. Id just take this punt
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think you're right, he's Stuart's type of gamble, and whilst i favour Dufty, i dont feel particularly strongly about it, i certain see the argument in preferring Hayne given he is one of few players with the talent level capable of almost winning a premiership on his own.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Norman if you could get him at peak form with his head screwed on would be very good, as simon said his short kicking alone would be a big bonus for us, amazing what a change of scenery can do, a couple of years back he was in the discussion for the qld halves and that was when they had a heap of quality to pick from(Thurston, Cronk, Morgan DCE etc)

He’d be a risk but one with a big upside
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dufty can’t pass the salt, let alone a football.