Penrith Panthers 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Penrith Panthers 2018

Post by gerg »

There doesn't appear to be a dedicated thread for the Panthers this year. They deserve a thread as they seem a real contender.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Penrith Panthers 2018

Post by gerg »

Rocks and diamonds Maloney the perfect fit for the Fittler mentality

James Maloney is a drink which makes you laugh and cry. NSW’s State of Origin five-eighth is a cold beer on a hot day followed by the warm white wine you wish you hadn’t ordered.

On Wednesday night at the MCG he had a hand in three tries and gifted Queensland two. He kicked three goals but missed two. He celebrates his successes but appears oblivious to his errors.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rocks- ... 4zjzy.html

'I'd love to do this for 10 years': Cleary eyes long Origin career

Nathan Cleary wants to wear the NSW No.7 jersey for the next decade and few will argue with the ambitions of the baby-faced playmaker after his debut in a winning Blues team.

Cleary received a pre-game pep talk from some of the greatest players to have pulled on the NSW jersey - Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Danny Buderus and Greg Alexander - and did not disappoint in the middle of the MCG.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-d-lo ... 4zk0g.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who needs an ACL? Wallace as tough as they come

Peter Wallace, one of the toughest NRL players in the modern era, says it will be sad not to be on the field but no less satisfying should the Panthers go on to win the NRL title without him.

The Penrith captain was forced to retire on Tuesday due to injury, announcing the end of a career that included 240 NRL games for the Panthers and Brisbane and four State of Origin appearances for NSW.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-ne ... 4zl0x.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

'Like Face/Off': Mansour reveals radical alternate plan to put his face back together

Josh Mansour sat in his surgeon's office days after his horrific round-six head injury and was presented with two courses of action to repair his shattered face.

Option one involved making four small incisions through which the surgeon could gain access to what resembled a "jigsaw puzzle" of splintered bone beneath the skin.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/like-f ... 4zkqb.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I will keep all these abusive Tweets on file. When the truth finally comes out, we shall see who deserves the apology. Thank you and goodnight to you all.

https://twitter.com/PhilGould15/status/ ... 4631933952

Phil Gould promises to keep abusive tweets from fans on file, after Panthers seek to sign Cleary.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Are they abusing him for getting rid of Hook?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I haven't looked at them really... but I think it is more because he steadfastly denied the review was out of the ordinary, nothing was happening, it was all standard, he has his full support etc.

According to NRL 360 tonight, the Panthers called in Ivan Cleary, and he thought it was a meeting about his son... and they asked if he'd like to come back once his contract was completed. And then he said he'd come next year.

The Panthers are doing everything possible to keep Nathan. That's why Hook is hooked. That's why they're targeting Ivan. Incredibly he's more than considering it, given how Gould sacked him.

But Gould is understandably being called out... for targeting a coach under contract for the next two years... and stridently denying everything for months.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Seems strange he thinks there's some "truth" that will vindicate him. On face value, laughable even.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is a bit rich for someone to say he's keeping critical comments "on file" in the circumstances. I don't know if there are more than "critical" comments though. I certainly wouldn't support any comments that were abusive.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Come now GE. I'm sure the twitterverse is a civil place ;)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/if-cle ... 4zw2s.html

Forty-eight hours. When Penrith coach Anthony Griffin was sacked on Monday, the word out of the club was Ivan Cleary could be named as his replacement within 48 hours.

That’s how hopeful the Panthers were and remain about landing the Wests Tigers coach despite him being under contract until the end of 2020 and despite sacking him at the end of the 2015 season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This issue has the potential to destabilise the Panthers finals campaign and IMO completely destroys any chance the Tigers had of making the finals. I haven't seen anything in the media from the Tigers about appointing a caretaker coach but they have to stand down Cleary until this is sorted out. They simply cannot continue with him. I don't blame them for holding firm for a payout of some sort but his position is untenable.

But if he does stay the second half this weekend could well be epic. Which coach will deliver the worse half time speech to the players?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Probably makes sense to put it here.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-won ... 4zw2i.html

A fired-up Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe has declared he will fight "tooth and nail" to stop coach Ivan Cleary from joining Penrith.

And Pascoe went one step further by issuing a warning to the Tigers' bigger and more cashed-up NRL rivals, declaring: "We won't be picked on. The Wests Tigers are not pushovers."
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

chunky dollar swap coming

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great interview with Anthony Griffin on NRL 360. Just confirms what I've always suspected about Phil Gould.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Great interview with Anthony Griffin on NRL 360. Just confirms what I've always suspected about Phil Gould.
That he's a top bloke?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The only thing I was disappointed with re the interview is they didn't ask the obvious question:

"Do you think you were sacked, so the Panthers could bring back Ivan Cleary, so that they would not lose Nathan?"

I'm sure they could have asked it more politely. But isn't it the obvious question to ask?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other thing... if anyone listened to Gould's podcast today, giving his account... he actually claims he has "no idea" what the current state of negotiations are between the Panthers chair and Ivan Cleary, what offers have been made, knows nothing about the conversations. And nothing that happened is "planned". Let's just say, I'm surprised by this claim.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2018, 7:36 pm The other thing... if anyone listened to Gould's podcast today, giving his account... he actually claims he has "no idea" what the current state of negotiations are between the Panthers chair and Ivan Cleary, what offers have been made, knows nothing about the conversations. And nothing that happened is "planned". Let's just say, I'm surprised by this claim.
Listened to it this morning on my way to work and nearly choked on my hash brown when he said that.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Gould's interview on The Footy Show paints a very different view of events. Ben Hannant was scathing of Griffin
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've heard what Gould said yesterday. He's got something new, now?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I've heard what Gould said yesterday. He's got something new, now?
Dunno. I hadn't heard what he had to say previously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:33 pm
greeneyed wrote:I've heard what Gould said yesterday. He's got something new, now?
Dunno. I hadn't heard what he had to say previously.
Well given Gould told us "everything" yesterday, I'm expecting it is more, more, more spin.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who knows what to believe with Gus???

Despite all this petty bickering (which I can see only escalating) the fact remains Griffin is a **** coach.

Hannant was on 100% footy and said much the same stuff that he did tonight. He picked some specific examples where he thought Griffin wasn't up to NRL standard. It's worth watching along with the week before with Siebold.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hannant... have no idea why that bloke is on TV.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Hannant... have no idea why that bloke is on TV.
He's a great QUEENSLANDER!!! GE.

You seemed to have made up your mind on this based on personality. I'm not sure that this saga simply boils down to Gould being a ****.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You’re probably right Doc. Probably boils down to Gould and Griffin both being asterisks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For those who missed The Footy Show...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2018, 9:36 am For those who missed The Footy Show...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gus is kidding to criticise Griffin for breaking his silence when Gus was going on record about him in the media all week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Penrith Panthers to announce Ivan Cleary signing on Monday

The Penrith Panthers will on Monday announce Ivan Cleary as their coach for the next five seasons, with Panthers chairman Dave O’Neill admitting the coach's release from the Wests Tigers would allow the club to finalise the move.

Wests Tigers announced Cleary's release on Sunday morning, with former South Sydney premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire to take over for at least the next three years.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/28/iva ... on-monday/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I wish the club nothing but total utter failure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They knew what they wanted and went out and took it. I wish the Raiders had the same desire to win.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Only worked for them because of the father n son connection

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Odds on Cleary snr seeing out the full 5 years?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Penrith Panthers 2018

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:They knew what they wanted and went out and took it. I wish the Raiders had the same desire to win.
They knew what they wanted, a few years after they already had it and threw it at the fan.

Bunch of clowns, no thanks to running the Raiders like that.
Last edited by gangrenous on October 28, 2018, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.