Canberra Raiders sign Sila Titiuti

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders sign Sila Titiuti

Post by greeneyed »

Young gun Sila Titiuti signs for Canberra Raiders

The Raiders have scored a coup by signing one of the best young forward prospects in New Zealand. Sila Titiuti is just 18 but tips the scales at 112 kilos - and is still growing. He hails from famous rugby union school St Kentigern College in Auckland, whose alumni include Storm sensation Suliasi Vunivalu, former Warrior Albert Vete and rugby great Joe Rokocoko. The back-rower switched to league this year in order to play for his native Tonga and was spotted in New Zealand by Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland and will join the club fulltime next year.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/manly-play ... 224f73fde7

https://m.facebook.com/aucklandrugby/ph ... 904021110/

https://photosportnz.photoshelter.com/i ... KWroYbPF2g

Sila Titiuti explains why he switched to rugby league: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... ccess.html
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Toviii »

From the Mole:
Raiders have signed Sila Titiuti, 18 year old forward from New Zealand

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/manly-play ... 224f73fde7

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Sila Titiuti

Post by Beejay »

If nothing else this shows how massive that World Cup last year was for international Rugby League. Focusing on expanding it, and providing real contests across more nations provides real benefits to Rugby League and the NRL.

Interested to see if he’s a good player over the next year or so
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't have a lot of confidence in these signings producing first graders for us and the second article suggests we might be a short term option for him, but he sounds like a good prospect.

I'd assume this would be one development spot.
Last edited by edwahu on October 16, 2018, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I like this kind of singing. If he turns into something, maybe we benefit. If he is a flop, we haven't spent anything.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:38 am I like this kind of singing. If he turns into something, maybe we benefit. If he is a flop, we haven't spent anything.
My worry is it's like a Ravalawa signing. Then it costs us years of development.

The NRL really could use something like restricted free agency for development players.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:40 am
Matt wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:38 am I like this kind of singing. If he turns into something, maybe we benefit. If he is a flop, we haven't spent anything.
My worry is it's like a Ravalawa signing. Then it costs us years of development.

The NRL really could use something like restricted free agency for development players.
We have to fill those spots on on roster. So you are up for that cost either way. Ideally, this guy develops, gets a shot at FG, and we are able to hold onto him. Ravalawa didnt get a run, so he is looking elsewhere (Dragons have at least 1 outside back spot open too), cant begrudge him that.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:44 am

We have to fill those spots on on roster. So you are up for that cost either way. Ideally, this guy develops, gets a shot at FG, and we are able to hold onto him. Ravalawa didnt get a run, so he is looking elsewhere (Dragons have at least 1 outside back spot open too), cant begrudge him that.
I just see these as low return options compared to giving spots to players already in NRL systems and history supports that.

If he is a real gun junior I hope we have options on extending him if he gets upgraded.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:59 am
Matt wrote: October 16, 2018, 10:44 am

I just see these as low return options compared to giving spots to players already in NRL systems and history supports that.

If he is a real gun junior I hope we have options on extending him if he gets upgraded.
Yup we've had plenty of these types of signings of the next big thing in the past few years. Can't remember any of them playing first grade.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Tonga's u18s captain, getting the Tongan flavour in the Raiders ranks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

We’ve had some bloody good Kiwi’s over the years
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas