Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by Dusty »

Problem is if they stopped funding religious schools, their fees would rise, they would be unaffordable for many that are enrolled now and they’d leave those schools piling more pressure on the government schools to now fully fund the education for these students. I doubt the system would handle that.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

With the wealth the CC happily wave around I’m sure they’d keep their fees low if the alternative was to lose more numbers.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:With the wealth the CC happily wave around I’m sure they’d keep their fees low if the alternative was to lose more numbers.
I don’t think they would

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sossman wrote: October 9, 2018, 6:49 pm Most likely you need to put them 30-50km outside of a major city... roughly where we put coal plants. I have no issue living near one.

QLD could use its recycled water systems to cool the ****.

As a country we have very minimal seismic activity. Don't build it next to the ocean and don't skimp on maintenance and they will be fine.
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Sossman wrote: October 9, 2018, 11:40 am So why are none of the major parties entertaining an interim shift to nuclear energy?

Lefties win because we stop burning **** and **** the atmosphere.

Right wingers win because no solar or lentil powered anything. And nuclear is TOUGH, STRONG and REAL.

Plus we mine uranium so JERBS.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Where would you build it?
Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Which major city? who would you get to build it? who would run it? who would regulate it? How would you mitigate the extreme risks?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dusty wrote:
Manbush wrote:With the wealth the CC happily wave around I’m sure they’d keep their fees low if the alternative was to lose more numbers.
I don’t think they would

I dunno, the business model kind of works like that. Not sure they’d be wanting to lose the captive audience when their numbers would already be waning more generally...
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

So want to link “Louis CK learns about the Catholic Church” YouTube clip but it wouldn’t last long :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Ah the Catholic Church, their NSW education branch isn't the biggest fan of me :lol:

This was also before this report came out saying they should be away to expel gay students!
Last edited by Schifty on October 10, 2018, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gergreg wrote: October 10, 2018, 7:02 am I read that article this morning.
So religious people/organisations can discriminate against LGBTI (not sure of acronym) but nobody is allowed to discriminate against religious people/organisations? Did I read it correctly?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Correct.

But what do you expect from the PM who is a fan of conversion therapy.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Don’t like Hinch but he sometimes gets it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Even Andrew Bolt appears to be saying we should cut their funding as we shouldn’t be obliged to fund hostility towards gays.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dusty wrote: October 10, 2018, 10:08 am Problem is if they stopped funding religious schools, their fees would rise, they would be unaffordable for many that are enrolled now and they’d leave those schools piling more pressure on the government schools to now fully fund the education for these students. I doubt the system would handle that.

The system would be fine.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I disagree

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Morrison being urged to draft a new law to ban religious discrimination :lol:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 1539198805
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dusty wrote: October 11, 2018, 1:58 pm I disagree

Serious question, why? Surely it’s not the lack of finances and they already spend a fortune trying to grow their church, without their schools they’d essentially die in Australia do you think they’d allow that?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:
Dusty wrote: October 11, 2018, 1:58 pm I disagree

Serious question, why? Surely it’s not the lack of finances and they already spend a fortune trying to grow their church, without their schools they’d essentially die in Australia do you think they’d allow that?
It has already started in certain areas where fees have been raised in religious schools. That has seen growing numbers of students withdraw and go to public education. I don’t believe the public system could handle the load. I definitely don’t agree with the discrimination mentioned. Just my thoughts on the government not funding religious schools.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Was it over an extended period Dusty, not to be cynical but I could see that if it was short term to try a bluff the government into increased funding.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:Was it over an extended period Dusty, not to be cynical but I could see that if it was short term to try a bluff the government into increased funding.
It was over an 18 month period (to date). Wasn’t about wanting increased funding, it was about the government reducing funding and religious schools passing on the difference through school fees.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dusty wrote: October 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
Manbush wrote:Was it over an extended period Dusty, not to be cynical but I could see that if it was short term to try a bluff the government into increased funding.
It was over an 18 month period (to date). Wasn’t about wanting increased funding, it was about the government reducing funding and religious schools passing on the difference through school fees.

Reread what you wrote, my cynicism might be well founded, low and behold the LNPs promise to give them billions.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:
Dusty wrote: October 11, 2018, 3:08 pm

Reread what you wrote, my cynicism might be well founded, low and behold the LNPs promise to give them billions.
If that’s the case maybe the LNPs realised the government system would sink under the pressure of extra students at ‘full’ cost to the government if they didn’t continue to fund religious schools. 🤷‍♂️

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Oh that’s definitely a possibility mate, not saying one way or the other with any certainty but you’ll understand my cynicism when their vast wealth isn’t a secret.

It also wasn’t too long ago they admitted to being overfunded and busted redistributing funds away from the poorer Catholic schools to the more popular ones.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

This has gone slightly off topic now though so I’ll steer back.

You’re a good bloke so you don’t support them discriminating. What better method of encouraging them to comply with human decency do you think there is?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:This has gone slightly off topic now though so I’ll steer back.

You’re a good bloke so you don’t support them discriminating. What better method of encouraging them to comply with human decency do you think there is?
If they take that path the government should pull their funding, for sure. That kind of discrimination cannot happen.

I was just expressing some thoughts/observations on what could happen if it went that way.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

We should fully fund all government schools so every kid, including those with special needs has a basic education and the necessary supports to make the most of it.

If people also want to fund private and catholic schools they should be prepared to pay a little more tax because the current state where disadvantaged kids can't get essential help while taxes are subsidising row boats is ****ed up.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Pretty much, after all that is what “religious freedom” always comes down to, the right to discriminate.
Well, that's just dumb.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Can't wait for the next election.

I get to choose between a pentecostal Christian and a shady ex union boss.

How did it get to this?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Politics
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Dr Zaius wrote: October 11, 2018, 6:29 pm Can't wait for the next election.

How did it get to this?
It is going to get worse.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

How did it get to this?
Could it possibly?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Dr Zaius wrote: October 11, 2018, 7:10 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:

How did it get to this?
Could it possibly?
Of course it can.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 11, 2018, 7:10 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:

How did it get to this?
Could it possibly?
Look at America, things can always get worse.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

All this talk of tax cuts for small business. Genuine question - is a business that turns over 1 million dollars a week really a small business?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:All this talk of tax cuts for small business. Genuine question - is a business that turns over 1 million dollars a week really a small business?

It's an SME, yes.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The actual reports state 'small business' not SME. What defines whether a business is small, medium or big? Is it the turnover or the employee numbers or something else entirely?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

All the ATO paperwork that crosses my desk refer to SMEs rather than small business, but I dont have any information beyond that.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The size of the office building I believe
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine