Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Good. Next step, revamp the commentary team.

Rabs and Gould out.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

James Hooper’s been charged with offences relating to destroying and damaging property. Apparently tried to damage a guys car while drunk.

I’m keen to see how he handles the next NRL alcohol scandal

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/torn-p ... 506vk.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:James Hooper’s been charged with offences relating to destroying and damaging property. Apparently tried to damage a guys car while drunk.

I’m keen to see how he handles the next NRL alcohol scandal

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/torn-p ... 506vk.html

The section on BJ is worth a read too. Apparently we were making a charge to the finals 2 months ago. I didn't think we were even a mathematical chance 2 months ago?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Must have been when we won 2 whole games in a row...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Surely they'd know a reasonable amount of time prior who will win awards so they can invite them

There's usually 3 1/2 **** weeks between the last game and the event

Amateur sports teams can turn around presentation nights quicker than that and make sure people who are in line for awards turn up
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

On the Roosters defence,
During the Finals Roosters didn't let any tries in between the Edrick Lee try in the 44th minute of the first final to the Josh Addo-Carr intercept against the run of play try in the 62nd minute of the Grand Final. 178 consecutive minutes in the finals of no tries being scored against them.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That’s just crazy

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They also stand off side constantly and slow down the ruck. It's no coincidence that the decision mid season to stop "nit picking" penalties saw the Roosters and Storm rise to the top.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

greeneyed wrote:They also stand off side constantly and slow down the ruck. It's no coincidence that the decision mid season to stop "nit picking" penalties saw the Roosters and Storm rise to the top.
Add the Sharks and Broncos to this list.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yet another reason Johns and Gould have **** rocks in their head. Their agenda against the refs ran counter to enjoyable attacking football, and also I would argue the strengths of the teams they’re passionate about.

Clowns
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It was also incredibly unpredictable. Maybe they were both losing too much on the punt?
Most fans actually seemed to understand why the crackdown was happening.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The game was heading in the right direction under the clamp down.
What's stupid is that Penrith were enjoying not having the wrestle or player's offside.
Why did Gus say anything.. . It really shows his dislike of Griffin IMO.

The game is boring. Dour. Too defence oriented. But the NRL lack the leadership and guts to do anything about it

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think the refs knew how to effectively handle the crackdown.

The governing body and referee management team needed to identify how to crack down on wrestling and Stop defending teams slowing down the attacking team when they were getting on top.

Simply penalising everything wasn’t the answer to the underlying problem.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The refs probably should have engaged the **** in the media (as painful as that would have been) to get them on board and supporting the move. Given the reactivity of the NRL they were never going to succeed from day one.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Toronto Wolfpack come up short in their bid to qualify for the Super League in 2019.

London Broncos 4
Toronto Wolfpack 2

London are back in the Super League.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dammit

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Would have been good if both could have gone up. No tries scored.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Haven't watched this one yet but McCrone was great the last few games

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished the replay. Toronto really were unlucky. Held up over the line multiple times, but just couldn't quite score.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The 2019 draw couldn't be too far away.

Next 2 weeks I reckon.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can’t wait to see if we can grab another easy draw to torch in the first four weeks of the season...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Bold new brand for NRL Premiership

The NRL is set to launch a bold new look for its Premiership. The new look aims to modernise the Premiership brand as well as integrate it more seamlessly with the 16 clubs.

“It was important that we keep the shield and the chevron, which have such historical significance for the code,” Mr Jarmain said.

“But the aim was to modernise those very important symbols. The new design is more youthful and contemporary, to help the game connect to a younger fan base. But it also allows us to be integrated seamlessly with the 16 club brands, where the true point of connection lies for fans.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/21/bol ... emiership/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL State of the Game survey: Have your say: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/23/nrl ... -your-say/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can someone save me time and let me know if there are any actual appropriate questions where I can give legitimate feedback in the state of the game. I’d love to provide feedback on:
* registering violent offenders
* channel 9 “coverage”
* the salary crap
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

None of that

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: October 24, 2018, 7:54 pm Can someone save me time and let me know if there are any actual appropriate questions where I can give legitimate feedback in the state of the game. I’d love to provide feedback on:
* channel 9 “coverage”
* the salary crap
The way that some of the questions and options for answers were set up were infuriating. I often wanted to say, none of the above... or I don't want to see that... but you had to select one of their options just to complete the survey. Plus no option to give free form feedback.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:NRL State of the Game survey: Have your say: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/23/nrl ... -your-say/
Better questions than previous years. I would actually like 'comment' sections within the survey but that makes it difficult to analyse the results. Disappointed there wasn't a way to express my disappointment at the favourable treatment the Broncos received this year and the lack of consistency with the judiciary; comparing Tapine and Slater' s treatment etc. The only way was to say the judiciary was worse than the season before.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 24, 2018, 7:54 pm Can someone save me time and let me know if there are any actual appropriate questions where I can give legitimate feedback in the state of the game. I’d love to provide feedback on:
* channel 9 “coverage”
* the salary crap
The way that some of the questions and options for answers were set up were infuriating. I often wanted to say, none of the above... or I don't want to see that... but you had to select one of their options just to complete the survey. Plus no option to give free form feedback.
Yes. The addition for a shot clock, with four options. I don't want another **** clock which teams will use to slow the game even further. This is an infuriating trend in the game for me.

Pack a scrum and if a team doesn't pack it, penalty. It sucks watching a team standing around watching the clock wind down before they decide to play on.

If a player is sinbinned, the attacking team should be able to tap and go. If the sinbinned player gets involved he is sent off. The 10 minute sinbin starts when he gets off the field. If he wants to take his time, let him.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: October 24, 2018, 8:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:
* channel 9 “coverage”
* the salary crap
Yes. The addition for a shot clock, with four options. I don't want another **** clock which teams will use to slow the game even further. This is an infuriating trend in the game for me.

Pack a scrum and if a team doesn't pack it, penalty. It sucks watching a team standing around watching the clock wind down before they decide to play on.

If a player is sinbinned, the attacking team should be able to tap and go. If the sinbinned player gets involved he is sent off. The 10 minute sinbin starts when he gets off the field. If he wants to take his time, let him.

Yep, I also found it incredibly annoying how the questions on the penalty crackdown were framed.

Basically, the crackdown failed and ultimately rewarded the teams that grapple and cheat in defence... As soon as the "nit picking" penalties stopped, the Roosters and Storm started winning regularly. So I had to say the crackdown failed... but it wasn't because there were too many penalties... it was because they changed their policy mid season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Also, I think a sin binned player should be instructed to depart to the nearest touch line in direct fashion. If he doesn't run... he's sent off. We don't need a shot clock for that. No standing around. They should just go. This should be easy to fix.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And I should add something on the "Alfie Langer" style water boy coaches. They should not be permitted to stay on the field for a whole set. They should go on to deliver water at a break in play... and then they should depart the field immediately. I get so annoyed at this cheating stuff.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thanks for saving my time. Another useless series of questions intended to give the answers they want to hear instead of actual feedback.

Pass.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 24, 2018, 8:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:
* channel 9 “coverage”
* the salary crap

Yep, I also found it incredibly annoying how the questions on the penalty crackdown were framed.

Basically, the crackdown failed and ultimately rewarded the teams that grapple and cheat in defence... As soon as the "nit picking" penalties stopped, the Roosters and Storm started winning regularly. So I had to say the crackdown failed... but it wasn't because there were too many penalties... it was because they changed their policy mid season.
Yes I agree very poorly worded. The question should have been do you agree with the penalty crackdown at the start of the season, not the increase in penalties as a whole because people who complete the survey and the people that analyse the survey could interpret the results either way.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: October 24, 2018, 8:47 pm Thanks for saving my time. Another useless series of questions intended to give the answers they want to hear instead of actual feedback. Image

Pass.
Perfect summation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Headgear to Helmets' film gives unique insight into rugby league history

Rugby league fans can gain a unique insight into the code's history, formation, and inextricable link to Australia's armed conflicts in a new "Headgear to Helmets" documentary.

Featuring interviews with rugby league experts and historians, the documentary also includes chats with family members of some of the game's most important founding players.

The program highlights the contribution of players who played rugby league in its earliest days before leaving to fight for their country in World War I, with some returning decorated heroes and others not returning at all.

Read more and watch the documentary here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/11/hea ... e-history/