2018 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2018 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Sid »

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

yeh raiders wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:39 pm
gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:33 pm
yeh raiders wrote:
gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:30 pm Cronk with broken collar bone? Bloody hell?!
Scapula I think he said. Just phenomenal and put that one down in the history books and one of the greatest ever.
Ah yes you’re right. Was the scapula.

Fair dinkum, tough bugger
I reckon I put that ahead of the likes of Sam Burgess’s broken jaw. He’s already on the field, pumped with adrenaline and warmed up.

Cronk had to put up with it all week, had to manage it, had to convince his coach to roll the dice, get warmed up and last 75 minutes.
And actually pull it off. Don’t forget if they lost he probably would have been the easiest scapegoat. He pretty much played that game like a General barking orders.
Last edited by Finite on September 30, 2018, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‪Guess that’s the Roosters’ salary cap sombrero?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Haha yeah as Gus said... 12 players and 1 coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:36 pm
edwahu wrote:"the cap works" - the NRL, probably
Yep, can’t see why any Raiders fan is happy with a Roosters win. It just underlines how the NRL rules favour the wealthy teams. They bought a premiership, they do little development. Let’s say generously that they “effectively use TPAs”. They’re a blight on the league.

Great team
Well coached
Well run organisation
Aggressive and competent defence
Fergo aside, all likeable and entertaining players

They’re everything we’ll never be. What’s not to like?
Go chooks!
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Sid wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:42 pm Image

One day I hope that is me
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Clive Churchill Medal: Luke Keary
The Greenhouse score update service
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Luke Keary, the smallest player in the game. What a champ.

Oakhill College product. I remember the time “The Bone” and I were playing Oz Tag against him. Bone makes a line break and I’m flying up in support. Keary virtually tagged Bone and me at the same time. Freakish movement.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Man I hate booing! That’s bs on Smith.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Finite wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:45 pm Man I hate booing! That’s bs on Smith.
Should’ve thought about that before being a ****.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
Yep, can’t see why any Raiders fan is happy with a Roosters win. It just underlines how the NRL rules favour the wealthy teams. They bought a premiership, they do little development. Let’s say generously that they “effectively use TPAs”. They’re a blight on the league.

I can't be bothered looking for it, but there was an article saying they actually have a good amount of local juniors.

I mean, who do we have that are Canberra locals?
They might have a few juniors, but they cherry pick star juniors and NRL players to win comps. Full credit to Politis for doing it, but it's not a good situation for us.

As for us 50% of our players come from the ACT and Country NSW over the last 15 years. Cotric is the only ACT player at the moment since we were forced to recruit more after 2013/14.
Last edited by edwahu on September 30, 2018, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:

13 of their 17 players tonight debuted with the club. If you look at our team in the last round 9 of 13 and two of those in Whitehead and Hodgson played a long career in super league before moving here.

Roosters don’t have a large junior base but the argument that they don’t develop players is totally false.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:42 pm
yeh raiders wrote:
gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:33 pm
yeh raiders wrote:
gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:30 pm Cronk with broken collar bone? Bloody hell?!
Scapula I think he said. Just phenomenal and put that one down in the history books and one of the greatest ever.
Ah yes you’re right. Was the scapula.

Fair dinkum, tough bugger
I reckon I put that ahead of the likes of Sam Burgess’s broken jaw. He’s already on the field, pumped with adrenaline and warmed up.

Cronk had to put up with it all week, had to manage it, had to convince his coach to roll the dice, get warmed up and last 75 minutes.
Completely agree.

Gutsy gamble by him and the team to go into that and pull it off.
I 100% agree.

Btw speaking of gambling did anyone hear the story how NRL will look to tighten how sides are named because gambling companies were unhappy about not knowing until an hour before kickoff if Cronk will play :roll:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:

Great team
Well coached
Well run organisation
Aggressive and competent defence
Fergo aside, all likeable and entertaining players

They’re everything we’ll never be. What’s not to like?
Go chooks!
If only we could dump and replace our most expensive player with two players each worth more.

Full credit to Robinson's defensive structures and attitude he demands from his players.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jason wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
dubby wrote:
sprintman wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:34 pm Very poor compared to the AFL yesterday. The NRL have to up their game and quickly
What was poor?
As a contest tonights GF was horrible compared to the AFL final yesterday, but you can have every game being amazing.

Nicky Boi!!!!
Some good footy played tonight. I just hated the teams.

I can't be bothered watching AFL, and never will. Just like the millions of others like me, and the millions who can't be bothered watching NRL, Melbourne Cup, F1 or any other sport or event they don't care about
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:

I think that you'll find it's more about the Storm losing than the Roosters winning
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finite wrote:Man I hate booing! That’s bs on Smith.
Absolutely, booing is only acceptable at Lang park during Origin, amirite

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:47 pm
greeneyed wrote:

13 of their 17 players tonight debuted with the club. If you look at our team in the last round 9 of 13 and two of those in Whitehead and Hodgson played a long career in super league before moving here.

Roosters don’t have a large junior base but the argument that they don’t develop players is totally false.
They won in 2013 by recruiting a trio of star players, they won this year by recruiting two superstars. The edge they have is not buying everyone, it's that they are able to buy a few of the very best.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

yeh raiders wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:46 pm
Finite wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:45 pm Man I hate booing! That’s bs on Smith.
One day I might be as cool as you, but hopefully not...again they boo the refs. Refs were almost perfect...why booo?
Last edited by Finite on September 30, 2018, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

I can't be bothered looking for it, but there was an article saying they actually have a good amount of local juniors.

They might have a few juniors, but they cherry pick star juniors and NRL players to win comps. Full credit to Politis for doing it, but it's not a good situation for us.

As for us 50% of our players come from the ACT and Country NSW over the last 15 years. Cotric is the only ACT player at the moment since we were forced to recruit more after 2013/14.
I agree the cap ain't working.

But you can't complain they cherry pick others then admit we do the same.

What's wrong is the NRL won't admit the cap is flawed, won't address the TPAs, won't investigate brown paper bags, will feed us **** and tell us it's sugar
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

gergreg wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:50 pm
Finite wrote:Man I hate booing! That’s bs on Smith.
Absolutely, booing is only acceptable at Lang park during Origin, amirite

No
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And it just got a whole lot worse seeing Blake Ferguson rewarded with a premiership.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

dubby wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:36 pm
sprintman wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:34 pm Very poor compared to the AFL yesterday. The NRL have to up their game and quickly
What was poor?
All of it. Exceedingly poor
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Finite wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:50 pm
One day I might be as cool as you but hopefully not...again they boo the refs. Refs were almost perfect...why booo?
I've never booed anyone, but I don't mind them booing Smith, because he's a grub, a cheat, a media love child and a Stain on the greatest game of all.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

sprintman wrote:
What was poor?
Nonsense. The Roosters played a flawless first half.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:52 pm And it just got a whole lot worse seeing Blake Ferguson rewarded with a premiership.
Yeah that sucks. Made bearable by the fact he's going to Parramatta next year

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Matterson off the bench for roosters, but I’m sure most on here would prefer him over Williams in the halves
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:50 pm
edwahu wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

I agree the cap ain't working.

But you can't complain they cherry pick others then admit we do the same.

What's wrong is the NRL won't admit the cap is flawed, won't address the TPAs, won't investigate brown paper bags, will feed us **** and tell us it's sugar
We get to cherry pick after they have cleaned the orchard out of everything edible
Last edited by edwahu on September 30, 2018, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

gergreg wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:53 pm
sprintman wrote:
What was poor?
You missed the point completely
Nonsense. The Roosters played a flawless first half.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Finite wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:50 pm
One day I might be as cool as you, but hopefully not...again they boo the refs. Refs were almost perfect...why booo?
I definitely disagree with booing the refs. And regardless, they’ve been particularly good in the finals.

Smith deserves every bit of criticism he gets.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote: Fergo aside, all likeable and entertaining players
Warea-Hargreaves?
Friend?

Hmmm...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

#supercoach
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:And it just got a whole lot worse seeing Blake Ferguson rewarded with a premiership.
Look, it's an imperfect situation, in an imperfect world. But on the bright side, the Storm were pantsed in a typical grubby performance.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roosters dominated from the outset. Deserved winners.

Amazing they can keep a side full of rep players under the cap.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote: September 30, 2018, 9:56 pm
Pigman wrote: Fergo aside, all likeable and entertaining players
Warea-Hargreaves?
Friend?

Hmmm...
Mitchell?
Napa?

Unlikeable.