Ryley Jacks linked to Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Ryley Jacks linked to Canberra Raiders

Post by Sid »

If Raiders have Sezer, Williams, Jacks and Hingano on the books for next year, most a lot would argue that it’s only 1 first grade starter and not an high profile one at that.

However going by what Ryley Jacks play style is like, it sounds like he would be the type of player Raiders would want to plug a hole.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sid wrote: September 24, 2018, 2:39 pm If Raiders have Sezer, Williams, Jacks and Hingano on the books for next year, most a lot would argue that it’s only 1 first grade starter and not an high profile one at that.

However going by what Ryley Jacks play style is like, it sounds like he would be the type of player Raiders would want to plug a hole.
I think he's too big to be a bench hooker.....
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

He's part Canadian, right? Sign him up...

"In his 12 matches for the Storm, he was described statistically as the best defensive five-eighth in the NRL."
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

hrundi89 wrote: September 24, 2018, 3:54 pm He's part Canadian, right? Sign him up...

"In his 12 matches for the Storm, he was described statistically as the best defensive five-eighth in the NRL."
Not much of a surprise. He actually looked comfortable and confident defending the times I've seen him. Aside from just his defensive ability itself, I think if he could bring some of that calm to his edge it would help.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'd be happy to sign him on a 3 year deal if it's south of 200k. At best, he develops into a first grader and we upgrade him before his 3 years are up. At worst he fulfills our back up half role on close to minimum wage for 3 years, meaning we can release Williams and hingano and target a solid first grader for 2020.

That all said, I haven't given up on hingano developing into a first grader. I know he was terrible for us at hooker and on the wing. I will reserve judgement until I see him starting in the halves. I'm also hopeful that his former coach will help him deliver on the potential he showed at the warriors
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

FROG wrote:I'd be happy to sign him on a 3 year deal if it's south of 200k. At best, he develops into a first grader and we upgrade him before his 3 years are up. At worst he fulfills our back up half role on close to minimum wage for 3 years, meaning we can release Williams and hingano and target a solid first grader for 2020.

That all said, I haven't given up on hingano developing into a first grader. I know he was terrible for us at hooker and on the wing. I will reserve judgement until I see him starting in the halves. I'm also hopeful that his former coach will help him deliver on the potential he showed at the warriors
Apparently he was brilliant in the test this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

El_Capitano wrote: September 24, 2018, 7:19 pm
FROG wrote:I'd be happy to sign him on a 3 year deal if it's south of 200k. At best, he develops into a first grader and we upgrade him before his 3 years are up. At worst he fulfills our back up half role on close to minimum wage for 3 years, meaning we can release Williams and hingano and target a solid first grader for 2020.

It’s fun how he has always looked better playing in the halves. It’s almost like it’s the position he has spent his career training at.

That is until he gets thrown into the 6 at the raiders without 1 training session in the halves.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

El_Capitano wrote:

Until he was injured, yes
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Haha, it amazes me to see people pile on Hingano as if anything that happened this year is his fault.

And i'll say it again, its very VERY likely he's not got a future as a FG half. THat's just reality, but the idea that we just pile on to the guy as being completely **** because our idiot coach has TRAINED HIM ALL YEAR LONG and played an out and out running 5/8th, as a middle third defender and impact hooker, is to me, absolutely ridiculous'

we have no idea what this guy is or isnt as a half. None what so ever. We know the odds say he's probably not the answer, but you could honestly put Jono Thurston into that role and he'd had washed out of the league. Again, not comparing the two as players, just highlight that opportunity and role matters. And thus far, at this club, Hingano has been given NO genuine opportunity and NO role he's capable of filling
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Hingano was given more chances to play wing than halfback this year.

Let that sink in.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hingano would be ruing the day he heard of Ricky Stuart and the Raiders.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

If Ryley Jacks is as good a defensive half as his stats say, then I'll take him. We don't need to upgrade our attack. We need a massive upgrade on our defence. Our line breaks and assists don't really come from our halves anyway. If he can shift the ball and get our edges in motion with Wighton ball playing out wide, while not being a liability in defence and communicating to the men outside him, then we have ourselves exactly what we need.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Agree with Pigman.

I really question the logic Hingano and his management used when deciding to allow a young and promising halfback come to Canberra to play under a Ricky Stuart led side.

I recall the general optimism fans had when he signed so it speaks volumes about the coaching, when a few games into his Raiders career most have already written him off. Not to mention none of those games were him in his position. We need to give him a chance. He may prove to be underwhelming but judging the poor kid based on a few games at hooker when he is indeed a halfback, whilst being coached by Ricky Stuart will never be a recipe for success. We may never know though...

Sign Jacks and whoever out of Hingano, Williams and Jacks has the best defence, best combination with Sezer and best pre season should be our No. 7 in Round 1 of 2019.

The other two are our starting halves at Mounties. Neither are on our bench. Please.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Warriors weren’t playing Hingano in NSW Premiership for no reason. And they didn’t release him for no reason.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Didn't the Warriors play Hingano mainly at number 9 too?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Just like the storm didn't release maloney and Cody walker for no reason.. And why the broncos had good reason to release Ash Taylor... Isn't that right GE. there could be countless reasons why they agreed to release him. To suggest that means he will never develop into a FGer is ridiculous.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

If we can get Jacks at the right price there's no harm if he fails.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BigPapa wrote: September 25, 2018, 6:24 am If we can get Jacks at the right price there's no harm if he fails.
What if he plays 50 games and fails?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 24, 2018, 11:03 pm The Warriors weren’t playing Hingano in NSW Premiership for no reason. And they didn’t release him for no reason.
Hingano played 13 first grade games last year behind Johnson and Foran(he was 19 years old at the start of 2017)he left as they had given him every indication he would get first crack at the 5/8 jersey when re signing him and then they went out and signed Blake Green.

I'm not convinced he's a first grader but my opinion on him certainly hasn't changed since he played a handful of games in a new system completely out of position, this club should have moved on from Blake Austin by about round 6 this year, then we'd probably have a fair idea if Hingano was a realistic first grade 5/8 option or not, instead Stuart continued to tread water and fight it out for a 10-12th place finish by picking experienced guys that continue to let the side down and go no way to improve or rebuild the future of the squad, players like Boyd, Paulo and Austin should have been wearing a mounties shirt by mid season at the latest, I'm sure we would have much improved "young" players like Guler, Knight, Hunt etc heading in to 2019 as a result
Hingano was reluctant to go into detail but the Herald understands he felt frustrated after knocking back approaches from several clubs including the Storm, Cowboys, Bulldogs and Titans to sign a three-year extension with the Warriors, believing he was in line to replace Bulldogs-bound Kieran Foran this season.
He was taken aback when the club signed Green and despite working hard throughout the pre-season, felt the writing was on the wall when he was only used in the dying stages of last week's trial win over the Gold Coast.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12005111
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

If we were down to on defensive liability on the field, and could find a way to hide him more effectively, I'd go with Williams/Jacks to start the season.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

How good would it be half way through next year if this forum was abuzz about how hingano and jacks had formed a brilliant halves combination and our illustrious top ten finishing elite combo of williams and sezer were relugated to the mounties
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

It will be williams/Sezer with Jacks/Hingano at Mounties keeping pressure on for first grade spots. Atleast thats the logical setup.
Pre-season training, injuries and form ongoing would change that.
Im sure Jacks and Hingano would be well prepared for that setup and likely they know they will have to win those 1st grade spots.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

If you go into the season with a half in your squad who’s job it is to put pressure on the starting half then your season is already done. In my opinion your halves are their for the season and you need someone who can fill in to cover a couple of games injury or preferably cover Origin selection. If your starting half is out for an extended time due to injury then you have a right to sign off on the season.

Note: Storm have bee an obvious exception to this rule.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The only players who should be starting pre-season pencilled in for round one IMO are Hodgo, Whitehead, Tapine, Rapa, Cotric, and maybe Croker and BJ.

The race for the halves and middle forwards should be wide open at the moment.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The only players who should be starting pre-season pencilled in for round one IMO are Hodgo, Whitehead, Tapine, Rapa, Cotric, and maybe Croker and BJ.

Yeah agree in our club they should be wide open but in a successful club they wouldn’t be.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The only players who should be starting pre-season pencilled in for round one IMO are Hodgo, Whitehead, Tapine, Rapa, Cotric, and maybe Croker and BJ.

Papalli?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Dr Zaius wrote: September 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Papalli?
Perhaps, if he jumps on the scales and is exactly where 2 Dads would like him to be.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

If Papalii isn't pencilled in for round 1 then it's going to be another long season.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Agree. We desperately need Papa to hit the ground running. He has to take the step up and start leading and mentoring your blokes like Guler through his actions on the field.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Fair dinks Papalii cops some unwarranted **** on here. Even when he does come back overweight he’s still our best player.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He could be 230kg and still be our best player by the length of the straight
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Not really on topic but just saw this in regards to Papas weight. His missus throwing major shade his way in InstaImage
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: September 25, 2018, 7:20 pm Fair dinks Papalii cops some unwarranted **** on here. Even when he does come back overweight he’s still our best player.
He did and he wasn't though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: September 25, 2018, 7:20 pm Fair dinks Papalii cops some unwarranted **** on here. Even when he does come back overweight he’s still our best player.
agreed
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He’s a professional footballer, came back not prepared for the season and by the time he started playing well our season was dead.

As a senior player and a leader, that’s not good enough.