2018 in review - Jack Wighton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018.

2018 was not the best of years for Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton. That had nothing to do with how he performed on field, rather off field indiscretions that saw him found guilty of assault and suspended by the NRL for the final 10 weeks of the competition. Wighton made just 13 appearances, but when he was on the field, he was one of the Raiders' best. Despite playing just half a season, he finished in the top six players in the Meninga Medal count and he finished equal with Jordan Rapana as Best Back in the Fans' Choice Award. In my player ratings for 2018, he finished fifth in average points per game (6.5) but, obviously, well down the list for total points.

His best game of the season came in Round 12, the last gasp win over the Sea Eagles, when he scored a try, made 17 runs for 159 metres and produced one try assist, one line break assist, five tackle breaks, three tackles, 52 kicking metres. I gave him an "8" rating in that match and a "7" rating in five other matches.

Wighton was certainly having a season in attack before his suspension. He only scored three tries himself, but he was in the top 10 fullbacks for total try involvements per match for the year - on par with Billy Slater and Kalyn Ponga. Remarkably, he produced 11 try assists in half a season, just two fewer than the whole of 2017. That was almost one try assist per match, which was second only to Tom Trbojevic in the NRL. He also produced 15 line break assists, which was top 10 in the NRL - and no fullback in the NRL did better on a per match basis. Wighton's running game was not at the benchmark in the NRL, but with an average of 132 metres gained per match (9.9 metres per run) he was in the game's top 10 fullbacks. He is off the pace with kick return metres, with just 32 metres per match - but still above Billy Slater and Darius Boyd. He was also well down the list of fullbacks for tackle breaks per match.

Wighton was oft criticised for his error rate and positioning in defence in 2017. However, this was improved in 2018. He produced 19 try causes and 34 errors in 2017, but just six try causes and 10 errors in half a season in 2018. He roughly halved both those categories of negative play, per match. Positioning aside, he is a good tackler, and he improved in 2018... reducing his missed tackle rate per match by half and lifting his tackle efficiency rate to 82 per cent. That could improve further however, given that tackle efficiency rate is not in the top 10 fullbacks.

Sadly, Wighton let himself and his team mates down with his off field indiscretion, and it had regrettable consequences for others. I have no doubt he is remorseful, and everyone makes mistakes. Hopefully, he'll come back to the field in Round 1 next year as a wiser person, having served his penalty. Up until Round 15, he was having a good to very good season - but my overall rating has to be impacted by his contribution to the overall season... and he played just over half of the 24 matches.

How did you rate Jack Wighton's 2018? Tell us below.

Jack Wighton's 2018: 4/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 13
Average minutes: 80
Tries: 3
Try assists: 11
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 15
Total kicks: 6
Kick metres: 188
40/20’s: 0
Total runs: 173
All run metres: 1717
Average metres per carry: 9.9m
Average metres per game: 132m
Tackle breaks: 34
Offloads: 6
Line breaks: 3
Line break assists: 15
Tackles: 41
Average tackles per game: 3.2
1 on 1 tackles: 8
Missed tackles: 6
Average missed tackles per game: 0.5
Tackle efficiency: 82 per cent
Try causes: 6
Errors: 10
Penalties conceded: 4
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2018 in review - Jack Wighton

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He was strong and consistently among our top 3 or 4 players each week but he ruined his season in pre-season with behaviour that cannot be excused.

0/10
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

5/10. True he missed a lot of footy but he still contributed more on the park than most of the team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

On field form was good.
Off field form was...

Wake up Jack...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think 4 is still a little harsh.

He was in our top 2 or 3 performers for most of the games he played.

As outlined aboved, right up til the point he got suspended, he was statistically comparable to the "heavy weight" fullbacks in the comp. Try assists up, with errors waaay down is fantastic.

That said, the reason he didnt play all yr was extremely disappointing and so thats worth something significant in the negatives.

If he played all yr a 7 or maybe 8. I reckon 5 is fair.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He played 54% of games Matt. If you were rating his season by game by game averages then 5.4 would have been he played perfectly in all of his games. If you think he was somewhere between a 7 and an 8 that works out to... a 4.

But I’m with GEM. Screwed up so massively it virtually made all his on field contributions worthless. A 0 from me.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: September 16, 2018, 4:07 pm He played 54% of games Matt. If you were rating his season by game by game averages then 5.4 would have been he played perfectly in all of his games. If you think he was somewhere between a 7 and an 8 that works out to... a 4.

But I’m with GEM. Screwed up so massively it virtually made all his on field contributions worthless. A 0 from me.
By that logic Guler scores under 1, Hodgo about 3 and Tapine about 5.

No argument if you want to weight the off field stuff heavily but I think his contribution on the field was more than a lot of players, even in half the time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not weighting off field issues in my rating. But I do take account of the contribution to the season. Players who play half the season are going to struggle to rate five... it'd be unfair on the players who play a full season who played consistently well.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: September 16, 2018, 6:09 pm
gangrenous wrote: September 16, 2018, 4:07 pm He played 54% of games Matt. If you were rating his season by game by game averages then 5.4 would have been he played perfectly in all of his games. If you think he was somewhere between a 7 and an 8 that works out to... a 4.

By that logic Guler scores under 1, Hodgo about 3 and Tapine about 5.

No argument if you want to weight the off field stuff heavily but I think his contribution on the field was more than a lot of players, even in half the time.
Pretty much my argument Ed. Agree
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote: September 16, 2018, 2:00 pm He was strong and consistently among our top 3 or 4 players each week but he ruined his season in pre-season with behaviour that cannot be excused.

0/10
Yep, give me one of these thanks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://sportress.wordpress.com/2018/09 ... ally-good/

Dan Gerritsen's article on the FB page is a good read too. It spells out some interesting truths.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

edwahu wrote: By that logic Guler scores under 1, Hodgo about 3 and Tapine about 5.

Well, yeah, I mean if you want to be silly about things. Common sense extension of the logic would be to rate them against games they were expected to play. Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Does the logic work?
Couldn't care less, couldn't give a ****.

Jack Wighton got black out drunk, walked around Civic belting people. He plead guilty to that, and was suspended almost half a season for it, he's lucky it was only that, he's lucky he wasn't sacked, he's lucky his actions didnt result in serious injury or death of someone.

He's well and truly earned a 0/10
Comparisons game by game to Guler, as if the reasons for their game logs are in the same god damn hemisphere, is the most laughable thing ive seen on the GH this year, this side of Matt ranking Edrick Lee over Jordan Rapana.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 16, 2018, 8:10 pm Does the logic work?

Jack Wighton got black out drunk, walked around Civic belting people. He plead guilty to that, and was suspended almost half a season for it, he's lucky it was only that, he's lucky he wasn't sacked, he's lucky his actions didnt result in serious injury or death of someone.

Comparisons game by game to Guler, as if the reasons for their game logs are in the same god damn hemisphere, is the most laughable thing ive seen on the GH this year, this side of Matt ranking Edrick Lee over Jordan Rapana.
Yep. And Eddy Lee has played his part in returning to a Prelim final. 12 tries to Rapas 10. 122m a game vs 135m. Im soooo off base in 2018.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yep, you certainly are. Glad you've seen the error of you ways.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 16, 2018, 8:32 pm Yep, you certainly are. Glad you've seen the error of you ways.
:lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:

Yep. And Eddy Lee has played his part in returning to a Prelim final. 12 tries to Rapas 10. 122m a game vs 135m. Im soooo off base in 2018.
Oh Matt, don’t drag that disgusting carcass in here.

Are you also using a losing stat as one of two in supporting your argument? Come one man, you’re better than this.

P.S. I’ll be watching what Edrick does in this preliminary final. His prelim final form isn’t great Matt’s stats tells me...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: September 16, 2018, 8:35 pm
Matt wrote:

Oh Matt, don’t drag that disgusting carcass in here.

Are you also using a losing stat as one of two in supporting your argument? Come one man, you’re better than this.
Im just saying this isnt as big a backfire as picking an in form Milf 3 times, only to watch an out of form Billy kill us
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jack let down himself, the Club and his team mates. Thanks to him Brad Abbey had to play FG. He did play ok when available so it's a 1/10 from me.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I clearly said that if you consider off field then no argument from me with the low scores.

Nor did I suggest Guler should be rated in the the same way as Wighton. He and the other two were examples of why you can't.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

For Jack's contribution while playing I'd give him 7/10. For his contribution to our season in letting both himself and the club down I'd give him 1/10.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He was undoubtedly our best player this season imo.

He did nail our final coffin though so there’s that too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Still has no idea on positioning himself to receive kicks. Other than that he was okay.

Hopefully moved on if found guilty of serious assaults.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Can't bowl, can't throw.

0/10

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Captain Punish wrote:Can't bowl, can't throw.

0/10

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Can't catch? Or bat? Is this Phil Tufnell?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 17, 2018, 12:34 pm Still has no idea on positioning himself to receive kicks. Other than that he was okay.

Well he is guilty. Plead guilty.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: September 18, 2018, 11:29 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 17, 2018, 12:34 pm Still has no idea on positioning himself to receive kicks. Other than that he was okay.

Depends how serious the punishment is I mean. No way the club will punt him if it's a slap on the wrists from the courts.

I'd move him on regardless.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough.

I think he's a good player, unfairly maligned in that regard.

The off field incident- gee you'd think it would be very lucky for him if he can clobber 5 people and not do some sort of custodial sentence... It will be interesting to see if it's regarded as a "first offence" so wrist slap worthy or they throw the book at him in the move to tougher sentencing over coward punches etc. 5 offences judged that way could be serious trouble...
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 18, 2018, 11:33 am
BadnMean wrote: September 18, 2018, 11:29 am

Depends how serious the punishment is I mean. No way the club will punt him if it's a slap on the wrists from the courts.

I'd move him on regardless.
We are deadset marking ourselves with the wooden spoon should we sack Wighton after his court date. A spine of Abbey/Sezer/Williams and Hodgo is absolute ****..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Was in great form until his suspension

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.