NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

The eagles could easily make the space available if they wanted to, I doubt they would unless Wentz agreed to a Brady-esque below market deal, and Bell wanted to come here to win rings... but the eagles are looking at a lot of money coming off the books soon... Peters, Sproles, Foles, Jerrigan, Long, Bennett... those guys alone will be near 50mil of salary. I dont think they'd do it btw, Howie wants to build with depth and i think they see the RB position as a bit like P.Manning in that Wentz can make any RB look great.

As for the Pats... i agree it's not BB's style to paid for a RB with miles on him, but if he gets a young QB on cost control and needs a focal point of an offence whilst he finds his feet... he's admiration for Lev is not in question. If Sony Michel doesnt pan out, i could see it... again, it's not the place he lands if he wants the most money. But if he gets to the market and finds it hard to get much more than 10mil a year, that'll bring some contenders back into the game.

But as said, my pick right now would be the Jets. I think it's all set up nicely for that. Darnold and Lev, with Enunwa, Anderson they can use picks to invest in the line and continue to build the D. I think that makes a lot of sense.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 12, 2018, 9:31 pm The eagles could easily make the space available if they wanted to, I doubt they would unless Wentz agreed to a Brady-esque below market deal, and Bell wanted to come here to win rings... but the eagles are looking at a lot of money coming off the books soon... Peters, Sproles, Foles, Jerrigan, Long, Bennett... those guys alone will be near 50mil of salary. I dont think they'd do it btw, Howie wants to build with depth and i think they see the RB position as a bit like P.Manning in that Wentz can make any RB look great.

As for the Pats... i agree it's not BB's style to paid for a RB with miles on him, but if he gets a young QB on cost control and needs a focal point of an offence whilst he finds his feet... he's admiration for Lev is not in question. If Sony Michel doesnt pan out, i could see it... again, it's not the place he lands if he wants the most money. But if he gets to the market and finds it hard to get much more than 10mil a year, that'll bring some contenders back into the game.

But as said, my pick right now would be the Jets. I think it's all set up nicely for that. Darnold and Lev, with Enunwa, Anderson they can use picks to invest in the line and continue to build the D. I think that makes a lot of sense.
He would get paid at Jets. I can see that working.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Pigman,
Gordon has his issues... ok... so there are plenty. BUT... why would the Browns release him?
And... would they replace him with Dez?
I mean, they stuck with him for 3yrs and jail time.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 16, 2018, 7:27 pm @Pigman,
Gordon has his issues... ok... so there are plenty. BUT... why would the Browns release him?
Why would the Browns release him?
Good question, i think this is a strange straw to break the camels back, but then this is a new regime trying to establish a new culture and at some point if you dont trust the guy, maybe you gotta walk away.
I personally think the Browns continue to be an incompetent boob of an operation and this is just another example of why. Dorsey is setting fire to basically everyone from the old regime except for a select few like Garrett, Kirksey and Njoku

With cases like this there is also a possibility of a human element, he apparently showed up late today and was "not himself"... which is NFL code for someone important thought he was high and that another suspension was looming, it maybe that they simply think it cant work in Cleveland the right thing for all parties to give him a change of scenery and see if that can help him work through the substance abuse. I mean i dont buy into that, i dont think any NFL team is that benevolent but maybe im too cynical.

Apparently there is a healthy trade market and probably sometime between now and monday he's moved... i suspect your Cowboys are all up in that business, so we'll see.
It's a strange move imo, unless it turns out there is another suspension (and likely then expulsion) looming for Josh.

He's a vested vet, so if a trade isnt worked out, he'll be a free agent, rather than subject to waivers.

If i had to guess, by Tuesday morning, Dez will be a Brown and Gordon will be a Cowboy, though i think the Dez thing could hinge on how Calloway goes for the Browns this week and how they feel about him
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 16, 2018, 8:01 pm
Matt wrote: September 16, 2018, 7:27 pm @Pigman,
Why would the Browns release him?
Good question, i think this is a strange straw to break the camels back, but then this is a new regime trying to establish a new culture and at some point if you dont trust the guy, maybe you gotta walk away.
I personally think the Browns continue to be an incompetent boob of an operation and this is just another example of why. Dorsey is setting fire to basically everyone from the old regime except for a select few like Garrett, Kirksey and Njoku

With cases like this there is also a possibility of a human element, he apparently showed up late today and was "not himself"... which is NFL code for someone important thought he was high and that another suspension was looming, it maybe that they simply think it cant work in Cleveland the right thing for all parties to give him a change of scenery and see if that can help him work through the substance abuse. I mean i dont buy into that, i dont think any NFL team is that benevolent but maybe im too cynical.

Apparently there is a healthy trade market and probably sometime between now and monday he's moved... i suspect your Cowboys are all up in that business, so we'll see.
It's a strange move imo, unless it turns out there is another suspension (and likely then expulsion) looming for Josh.

He's a vested vet, so if a trade isnt worked out, he'll be a free agent, rather than subject to waivers.

If i had to guess, by Tuesday morning, Dez will be a Brown and Gordon will be a Cowboy, though i think the Dez thing could hinge on how Calloway goes for the Browns this week and how they feel about him
A crim moving to Dallas. How unusual?!?
Im sure he and Gregory wont be friends at all. :lol:

Annoyingly Id love to have a WR like Gordon. BUUUT... like Gregory, and so many others to come this way through Dallas, the guy is a waste of talent. I mean the guy is TO/Moss like, but on... well, whatever he can get his hands on. And so you get 1 in 10 games of that ability. Followed by plenty of time off.

The 2nd problem, Dak has to actually get him the ball. Which means, if he aint 1 on 1, he wont see it. And even then he will need to do all the work.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think there is a lot of teams that will be interested, talent is too good not too... but given their needs at WR, their cap situation, and the fact the owner is the GM, so is one of few who can make this move and answer to no one if it goes wrong...

add in the flashy name brand, and the history of troublesome players... it's got a heavy whiff of "Jerreh Jones" about it... I think Steven might be able to talk him out of it, but given their WR situation, maybe he'd be on board too.

Hard to find another team where it all lines up so well...
Dallas, Miami, Carolina, Seattle and maybe the Cards seem like the spots to watch in terms of football needs
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oakland too, Gruden will be pretty keen on him i'd think
TBH id be happy if the eagles took a swing, but i dont think they will
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Id say Jerrah will definitely have a hard on for Gordon.

Steven will talk sense to him. But we have a stable of spuds. A high stud is better than nothing
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I quite like Gallop, think he could be a good player... he's probably not going to have a good year, he's not ready to beat #1 corners and because teams sell out to stop Zeke he is gonna get a lot of man coverage, but in 2-3 years i think he'll be good.

My hope is Cleveland fleece Dallas out of a good pick, and they immediately ink him to a good sized extension. Which tbh, could work for them, certainly no one on Philly right now could cover Gordon 1 on 1... but its the sort of gamble i like seeing Dallas make haha
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 16, 2018, 9:30 pm I quite like Gallop, think he could be a good player... he's probably not going to have a good year, he's not ready to beat #1 corners and because teams sell out to stop Zeke he is gonna get a lot of man coverage, but in 2-3 years i think he'll be good.

My hope is Cleveland fleece Dallas out of a good pick, and they immediately ink him to a good sized extension. Which tbh, could work for them, certainly no one on Philly right now could cover Gordon 1 on 1... but its the sort of gamble i like seeing Dallas make haha
Im not sold on Gallop. Nor do i like his chances of improving in our system. Daks inability to get recievers open, or hit them in traffic, worries me. I think missing on Ridley was a mistake
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I know its just the Giants, but...
HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!
Our D, esp the front 7, looks gooooooood.
The TD we gave up was a shocker BTW.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Pigman,

I see some of your fantasy boys really put up some good numbers - Cam, Matty Ice, Diggs esp. But Calloway and Zeke came to the party too.

However your team...
Philly were done by a former flyer on play #1... D-JAX!!!
Before the Pirates put a TE away for a 75yd TD.
Fitz-magic 400yds and 4 TDs... :roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Interesting week though.

Shootouts for Panthers vs Falcons, Cheifs vs Steelers (Mahoney looks golden), 9ers vs Lions (even if a bit tyre fire-ish)

Tight games for Texans vs Titoons (love a fake punt TD), Raiders vs Bronx, Packers vs Vikings (OT Draw, with chip shot FGs missed).

The ugly... Phins vs Jets and Colts vs Skins, even Saints vs Browns (weird game, big plays mixed with garbage, and a whole lot of turnovers). Not sure how to describe the Charges vs Bills, but I think its mostly ugly. Bills look awful, and while Rivers still has a few shots left in him, I think he is running out of ammo.

Ravens came crashing back to earth vs Bengals. Dunlap forever in the backfield. Got closer than the game really looked. Dont rate either team, just a everyday Div battle.

Bortles and the Jags laid the smackdown on the Pats. Pats had nothing for nearly 3 quarters. That 1 hand grab bu Cole too, WOOOOOOOOOW!!!

Rams put on a clinic vs Cards, bar a PP INT special. Gurley did what he liked. Cook got deep and open. Sheilds made an immediate impact from Packers with an INT. Rams look real good again this yr.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote: September 17, 2018, 2:35 pm I know its just the Giants, but...
I think Eli is past it but how do you get a real gauge on it when they haven't given him any decent protection for 5+ years. OBJ is a waste of money if the QB doesn't have time for him to get open.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: September 17, 2018, 3:34 pm
I think Eli is past it but how do you get a real gauge on it when they haven't given him any decent protection for 5+ years. OBJ is a waste of money if the QB doesn't have time for him to get open.
He was wide open late in the game and Eli didnt see him. But yes, Cowboys were in the backfield all game, meaning he and Barkley had no chance.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 17, 2018, 2:38 pm @Pigman,

I see some of your fantasy boys really put up some good numbers - Cam, Matty Ice, Diggs esp. But Calloway and Zeke came to the party too.

However your team...
I unfortunately dropped Calloway about 2 days before the **** Gordon news dropped
Cam, Ryan, Zeke, Diggs all had bangers, even James White, Godwin for the Bucs and Jimmy Graham chipped in with solid scores. Sauntered home to a much needed win, 1-1 after 2. Get Aaron Jones back this week and Julian Edelman back in 2 more weeks.

Im not surprised we lost, and im less surprised Jackson smoked us. He always does. We're 1-1, no one in the division is 2-0 so we've lost nothing and Wentz is coming back. Sucks to lose a game but having it all but confirmed my boi Carson is back under centre next week has left me feeling like a winner.

Washington looked like trash, That Giants - Cowboys game was an abomination, and the Eagles are massively beat up... but troops are coming for them. Feeling pretty good about the Eagles coming over the top to win the East again this year... Sproles sat, Peters missed a big chunk of time today, as did Ajayi... within the next 2 weeks we should be back to near full strength
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 17, 2018, 6:46 pm
Matt wrote: September 17, 2018, 2:38 pm @Pigman,

However your team...
I unfortunately dropped Calloway about 2 days before the **** Gordon news dropped
Cam, Ryan, Zeke, Diggs all had bangers, even James White, Godwin for the Bucs and Jimmy Graham chipped in with solid scores. Sauntered home to a much needed win, 1-1 after 2. Get Aaron Jones back this week and Julian Edelman back in 2 more weeks.

Im not surprised we lost, and im less surprised Jackson smoked us. He always does. We're 1-1, no one in the division is 2-0 so we've lost nothing and Wentz is coming back. Sucks to lose a game but having it all but confirmed my boi Carson is back under centre next week has left me feeling like a winner.

Washington looked like trash, That Giants - Cowboys game was an abomination, and the Eagles are massively beat up... but troops are coming for them. Feeling pretty good about the Eagles coming over the top to win the East again this year... Sproles sat, Peters missed a big chunk of time today, as did Ajayi... within the next 2 weeks we should be back to near full strength
Ouch on Calloway.

As a Cowboys fan, at least i can say our D was good. Pass rush was fantastic, Eli was in survival mode.

For once OBJ didnt single handedly beat us. Though that last 5mins or so was really hard to watch.

I expect you guys get better fast, but for now, nice to know we are level. Giants and Skins look in trouble.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Outside the bomb to Tavon Austin, i thought it was a pretty awful display all around.
It's not fair to just take out the big play and spell it out that way, because the big play DOES count...

BUT... you take the 64 yard bomb to Tavon Austin out, and Dak was 15/24 for 96 yards. Which is 4 yards per attempt... that's... that's **** awful. Even with it, its' 25 attempts for 160 yards... 6.4 yards per attempt, that'd be bottom 6 in the league.

And ill say this too, the Foles is no better, he's going at about 5.6 yards per attempt... you cant win games like that, which is why, as much as im thankful for the SB win, i cant wait to get Carson back haha.

I thought their D was pretty good, was impressed and happy for Jaylen Smith to be out there and looking something in the realms a player after that horrific knee injury in college. But i was not that impressed by their front 7 over all, they got after it, but every damn team that plays the giants will get after it, their OL, Erik Flowers in particular, is abysmal and Eli is a statue who cant navigate a pocket.

Though the more impressive part was how they managed to contain OBJ at the back end.

As for the Giants...
They've got a lot of problems. Their OL is awful, their QB is totally washed, they took Barkley and passed on franchise qbs... Barkley is good, my god he's good... but they dont have the pieces around him to maximise him, and... im pretty down on the offence Pat Shurmer is putting in there right now, it's completely bland and unimaginative.
Its a mess... They went back in on Eli, took the finishing piece RB as a win now more and they cant win now. It's bad.
It'll sting worse if Darnold is gonna be as good as i think he'll be... they'll be sharing a building with the franchise qb they passed on. That's... not ideal
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just FYI, i had nasal surgery last week and have had the first two weeks of NFL season off work (im back next week) so i've been LOCKED into to this ****, so that's why i've got a LOT of thoughts :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We both know Daks limitations. However, when they finally reverted to the play action/ read option attack, he looked far more comfortable, hence his 7 carries for 45yds. There were some penalties that hurt his production too, with plays coming back - typical Cowboys stuff, make a good situation bad with poorly timed penalties.

Bar 1 carry, Zeke did very little til mid 3rd quarter. We are missing Frederick and Witz when we run the run ball.

Smith looked great. DLaw, despite his groin injury, also dominated.

As I said up front, I know its just the Giants, but gotta start somewhere, and you can only play what's in front of you.

Sounds like we aren't chasing Gordon either.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

As for the other games around the league...
Cards, Bills, probably Skins, Giants and Lions look to be in for a long long season.

AFC North looks like the Div of death this year.

NFC North doesn't look much easier.

Jags and Rams have come out of the blocks too. They look really good.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah the read option worked well for Dak, he looked very physical running the ball. That's their team i guess... Defence, run game and hope Dak can combine for enough with arm and legs to win games close.

It's a hard way to win games consistently. We'll see though, like i said, no one in the East looks good now. i think the Eagles are far and away the best of them, but they're so beat up, and if it's one of those years where they just never get healthy, it's anyone's ball game
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Im a bit sliw, but Vontae Davis retired at halftime?!?
Maaaaaaaan...
Bills really do suck!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Gordon to Pats?!?!?!?
Do B and B turn him into a SB champion?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys looking at former Steelers QB, Laundry Jones
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I see the Mack truck made a mockery of another OL.
BTW, how long did it take Seattle to realize chipping him with a tight end is like putting a domestic speed bump in front of a monster truck?!?!? Meaning he hit the OL dropping back at full tilt and just bull rushed them into Wilson.

Turbinsky looked good again too
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

What is going on the in the NFL this wk?!?!?
Skins beat Packers.
Bills thrash Vikings.
Phins are still undefeated beating Raiders.
Jags lost to Titoons in a low scorer.
Giants beat Texans.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Bills game was the most obscene thing ive seen in some time. They had no business competing with that vikings team let alone BLOWING THEM out on the **** road.
Incredible.

Skins are a weird team, they might be on the list this year. Lions beating the Pats was another i didnt see coming. Giants over Texans i dont think was a major upset, those are two bad OL's and Qb's not at their best.

I was happy with Wentz's comeback, most importantly he got a win. He looked rusty, it was a bad pick he threw and the fumble in the shadows of our own posts was not good at all, lot to clean up but a few plays in there showed just why he's such a transcendent player. Pushing the ball down the field and making throws few can. W
ithin the next fortnight, the eagles should get Sproles, Ajayi and Jeffery back, Matthews should get his head more into the game plan, i liked the way Wentz got Goedert into the game today, Ajayi is a major factor, and we just need Jeffery to give us a legit outside and red zone WR... and the defense stood tall. All good signs
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 18, 2018, 3:31 pm Turbinsky looked good again too
Just saw this... i assume you mean Trubisky (i spell it wrong all the time too, nightmare name)
I couldnt disagree more, he has been OK in first few series of the game where Nagy is working off his script, it's a classic Andy Reid thing. Pederson is good at it too (See Wentz's first drive today, he was rusty as all hell but that was as clean as you like)

But beyond that he's look terrible. Im not ready to say he's a bust but boy im getting close.
He was a nightmare in that Seattle game, and today as well.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 24, 2018, 2:37 pm The Bills game was the most obscene thing ive seen in some time. They had no business competing with that vikings team let alone BLOWING THEM out on the **** road.
Incredible.

Skins are a weird team, they might be on the list this year. Lions beating the Pats was another i didnt see coming. Giants over Texans i dont think was a major upset, those are two bad OL's and Qb's not at their best.

I was happy with Wentz's comeback, most importantly he got a win. He looked rusty, it was a bad pick he threw and the fumble in the shadows of our own posts was not good at all, lot to clean up but a few plays in there showed just why he's such a transcendent player. Pushing the ball down the field and making throws few can. W
ithin the next fortnight, the eagles should get Sproles, Ajayi and Jeffery back, Matthews should get his head more into the game plan, i liked the way Wentz got Goedert into the game today, Ajayi is a major factor, and we just need Jeffery to give us a legit outside and red zone WR... and the defense stood tall. All good signs
Most important thing, he moved like his old self. Rust will leave it time. Movement wont. So, great signs.

I cant believe the Pats lost to the Lions. They have looked like trash til today
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 24, 2018, 2:40 pm
Matt wrote: September 18, 2018, 3:31 pm Turbinsky looked good again too
Just saw this... i assume you mean Trubisky (i spell it wrong all the time too, nightmare name)
I couldnt disagree more, he has been OK in first few series of the game where Nagy is working off his script, it's a classic Andy Reid thing. Pederson is good at it too (See Wentz's first drive today, he was rusty as all hell but that was as clean as you like)

But beyond that he's look terrible. Im not ready to say he's a bust but boy im getting close.
He was a nightmare in that Seattle game, and today as well.
Yeah, sorry. Spelling isnt my strong suit at the best of times, but there are some shockers in sport.
I haven't watched today's game/ highlights, but they got home in the end. Or was they due to the D?

Im starting to worry about Donald. He looks a million bucks, then throws a bad pick. I know he is only a couple of games in, but man he needs to learn fast.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Pigman,

Pretty sure im overthinking it, and am talking out of my behind, but...

Why dont running teams use a formation that looks like a WR bubble screen cluster, but use 3 TEs?

My theory being, as they come out, it looks like the heavy package. So the defense substitutes accordingly. Once lined up though, it becomes a different story.

The way i see it, you now have a WR 1 on 1, maybe he has a safety over the top, maybe not. Potentially a good matchup.

Your RB now has loads of options.
1. Between the tackles could be profitable if u can get to the 2nd lvl, as the LBs have shifted to cover TEs.
2. Run the counter to the WR side. He could be 1 on 1 with a LB.
3. Run open side to TE cluster.
4. Screen pass to TE cluster.
5. PA to then get him open on the WR side.

TEs can also do a few things.
1. Bubble screen
2. Run slants, deep, whatever, because its a matchup nightmare depending on matchups.

Obviously this become more interesting if the TEs are lined up against DBs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 24, 2018, 3:18 pm
Pigman wrote: September 24, 2018, 2:37 pm The Bills game was the most obscene thing ive seen in some time. They had no business competing with that vikings team let alone BLOWING THEM out on the **** road.
Incredible.

Most important thing, he moved like his old self. Rust will leave it time. Movement wont. So, great signs.

I cant believe the Pats lost to the Lions. They have looked like trash til today
Yeah it sounds silly, but it was good to see him have to scramble a bit, take some hits and move around in the pocket. I was very nervous going into the game but once he took that first hit and moved around a bit, i just eased into and it felt like he was back. The team is beat up so for the next month or so it's really gonna be about staying afloat, if we can get through to week 9 bye week at 5-3 or 4-4, i feel like we'll have knocked the rust off Wentz, we should healthy and ready to make a back 8 run for another NFC E title...

Looks like the championship game is probably going through LA though, so that's gonna be a tough game
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The pats were junk

The LOLs were when Brady got flagged for intentional grounding, he literally threw it to noone
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 24, 2018, 5:24 pm @Pigman,

Pretty sure im overthinking it, and am talking out of my behind, but...

Why dont running teams use a formation that looks like a WR bubble screen cluster, but use 3 TEs?

My theory being, as they come out, it looks like the heavy package. So the defense substitutes accordingly. Once lined up though, it becomes a different story.

The way i see it, you now have a WR 1 on 1, maybe he has a safety over the top, maybe not. Potentially a good matchup.

Your RB now has loads of options.
1. Between the tackles could be profitable if u can get to the 2nd lvl, as the LBs have shifted to cover TEs.
2. Run the counter to the WR side. He could be 1 on 1 with a LB.
3. Run open side to TE cluster.
4. Screen pass to TE cluster.
5. PA to then get him open on the WR side.

TEs can also do a few things.
1. Bubble screen
2. Run slants, deep, whatever, because its a matchup nightmare depending on matchups.

Obviously this become more interesting if the TEs are lined up against DBs.
Interesting concept... a few thoughts

Firstly, this is quite a technical question and i dont think im qualified to answer it. Im sure Wade Phillips could tell us in 20 seconds why this isnt a thing.

I dont think its a bad idea, the NFL game is all about trying out weird things to seeing how it works, i cant say i've ever seen this though and it strikes me as something better minds than you and i must have thought about it and for whatever reason felt it wouldnt work...

but lets do our best armchair analysts and try and figure out why.

My first thought is you have to motion into this... so you've got to come out in jumbo, line up like jumbo and then motion out to the weird formation, otherwise you dont get the match up defensively you want... so that's restrictive in it self. You cant trot out a jumbo set outside of the 5-10 because coaches arent buying that, they're not trotting out goal line to match up with jumbo from mid field because their not needing to protect a touchdown, so i dont think you're going to get the defensive package you'll get on the goal line.

Also limitations at TE make this difficult. Who's got 3 really good ones they trust as receivers AND blockers that gives you the versatility you want. Looking at the Eagles, they're deep at TE, but Ertz, like a lot of TEs now days is just a big bodied WR, he's willing, Goederts willing, but DB's are very aggressive themselves and i dont think i'd trust any of our WRs to block LBs or Ss in a bunch formation. DB's are the most athletic players in the game, i think most teams feel like their safeties can blow up the screen. Maybe not against gronk, but wouldnt Gronk be the target of the screen? You dont want him lead blocking. The design would be to get it in his hands
You'd need to get them matched up on Corners

also, the route tree is limited, there isnt many elite TE's, least of all 2-3 on a single team, so you cant really run a bunch of routes off the formation. Not many of them are able to separate either, so if you're not playing the bubble and want to run actual passing concepts out of it, you're likely asking your QB to make tight window, contested throws... which some QBS (Dak for example) just wont throw. So then if you dont have a qb willing to turn it loose, you're playing one route (the WR left in a 13 formation, probably isolated at X or Y)
It's not ideal. Even if you AB or Julio, if you pass to those dudes, its a one read play.

I dont think you'd feel confident running out of that, because even if they shift LBs over and S's over to the TE stack, you're still looking at their best run stuffers in the middle, you're going to have your thumpers in at LB, and the moment it's not a run play, the S and LB pursuit from the stack is going to come pretty hard. So if you're running, i think you have to run outside zone, and run it to the iso WR side away from the stack. Running outside zone without a TE is tough in the NFL, teams can set stunt their line to seal that edge off pretty good. Even against really good RTs

I dunno, that's just my immediate thoughts... i think its an interesting concept, and im sure SOMEONE has tried it somewhere. And i guess i come back to this, if someone could me make it work, we'd be seeing it on Monday mornings... which isnt to say it cant work, its just no one has figured it out yet.

McVey is doing absolutely crazy **** with 11 personnel, he's playing 98% of snaps. It's the most basic offensive grouping you can have and no one has answers to it. Obscene stuff. Andy Reid is changing the game with his creativity out of 11 and 12 personnel. Dougie P is running 78% out of 11.
https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/pers ... uency.html

Doug, McVey and Reid have run a combined 5 snaps of 358 collective snaps through 2 weeks... that's the 3 best offensive minds in the game who just dont see any value in 13 personnel groupings. They'd know better than us, so i have to cede to them here