Moderator: GH Moderators

Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Josh, you want a fair go? Start by saying sorry

Post by Grün Maschine »

Johno wrote: September 13, 2018, 9:33 pm
-PJ- wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:54 am
-PJ- wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:38 am I've never had so much hatred for a bloke I've never met.
Well..there's Lewis Hamilton.
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Kevin Rudd
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Grün Maschine wrote:
Johno wrote: September 13, 2018, 9:33 pm
-PJ- wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:54 am
-PJ- wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:38 am I've never had so much hatred for a bloke I've never met.
Well..there's Lewis Hamilton.
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Kevin Rudd
James Harden

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Montgomery Burns

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

dubby wrote: September 13, 2018, 3:44 pm
hrundi89 wrote:
LP Raider wrote: September 13, 2018, 9:14 am Where' the blonde girl crying when you need her.
You mean the "Leave Britney Alone!" thing?

It's a bloke...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Crocker
No, it's not.....is it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yep that's the one.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

Looks like it's some guy call Chris Croker Dubs.
WorkChoice
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I've never seen the video, just the memes.

I always assumed it was a young girl.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Folks, just be careful if your out pulling chicks with dubby.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 13, 2018, 11:26 pm Gore does a good job of apologising to Dugan, it must have been difficult.

However, the thing which no-one wants to say (dunno how I'll get away with this) is his old man is a lifelong Dragons supporter, a complete buffoon and not exactly a model of sobriety in his public appearances. Dugan was probably under an awful lot of pressure when he was a Raider, to be at St George instead. He tried it and it didn't really work. He's now a Shark and kind of unanchored. I feel a tiny bit of sympathy. He hasn't exactly had good role models.
Maybe he had a poor upbringing. He was also handed a career in a professional organisation from a young age where he had a whole array of services and programs on call to sort himself out and at no cost to himself.
He was working alongside the ultimate role model in Alan Tongue for a number of years which clearly he didn't appreciate.
He's also the one who made the decision to climb on the roof and drink with the other clown that day.
Zero sympathy for him.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Peter wrote: September 14, 2018, 6:01 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: September 13, 2018, 11:26 pm Gore does a good job of apologising to Dugan, it must have been difficult.

However, the thing which no-one wants to say (dunno how I'll get away with this) is his old man is a lifelong Dragons supporter, a complete buffoon and not exactly a model of sobriety in his public appearances. Dugan was probably under an awful lot of pressure when he was a Raider, to be at St George instead. He tried it and it didn't really work. He's now a Shark and kind of unanchored. I feel a tiny bit of sympathy. He hasn't exactly had good role models.
Maybe he had a poor upbringing. He was also handed a career in a professional organisation from a young age where he had a whole array of services and programs on call to sort himself out and at no cost to himself.
He was working alongside the ultimate role model in Alan Tongue for a number of years which clearly he didn't appreciate.
He's also the one who made the decision to climb on the roof and drink with the other clown that day.
Zero sympathy for him.
That is pretty much how I feel. Although I do sometimes question the effectiveness of the player welfare systems in rugby league.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

sometimes question?
Ha.

I dont think Dugan had much of a chance in life to be anything other than a total **** ****-faced goon. I believe the behaviours that have led him there were established by circumstances beyond his control, at an age where he wouldn't have even know what football was. I believe that set him on a course and because he was so gifted as an athlete he was never forced to re-calibrate his behavioural compass. He's been enabled all his life. But the hard wired instinct to push back against authority, the lack of accountability and responsibility, that comes back to Mum and Dad, that stuff is very hard to rewire at 15-16 when this club got a hold of him. The cement on the walls of his brain is set by then.

But at some point you've got to own your actions and own who you are. Many have been through what he has and bettered themselves, that requires a level of self reflection and accountability that Dugan, at age 28, a father, does not appear to have yet. At least there is no evidence of it publicly. So that's on him. And **** him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The thing is he isn't really good enough of a player to care either way. Has done very little at NRL level since leaving the Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Dugan gave the finger to every single Raiders fan when he walked out on the club. He's never shown any genuine remorse for it. Can't say I'll be forgiving him at this point.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can't believe he's injured again. I made a joke elsewhere that he should be careful or he will strain a tear duct and it appears he has? Has been such a dud buy for the Sharks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's playing in England this time next year.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just don't send him to Toronto

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:I did feel sorry for him, after that interview and I was concerned for his mental health, actually. I'm not sure he had the best of upbringings and I'm not sure the environment of a football club, in his case, was helpful for him. But I'm also not sure I'm forgiving of how he walked out on our club and the way he treated our club, with no remorse that I've seen. And if he didn't go out and get drunk prior to Origin games, and do expletive laden podcasts with Andrew Fifita, to mention just a couple of things, maybe he wouldn't get so much negative press.
Interesting. Im no expert, but I didn't see a mental health issue, at least not in the conventional sense. I saw a complete narcissist unable to comprehend why the world wasn't serving up to him what he saw as his entitlements, and filled with self pity for it.

Dugan can go and get stuffed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I did feel sorry for him, after that interview and I was concerned for his mental health, actually. I'm not sure he had the best of upbringings and I'm not sure the environment of a football club, in his case, was helpful for him. But I'm also not sure I'm forgiving of how he walked out on our club and the way he treated our club, with no remorse that I've seen. And if he didn't go out and get drunk prior to Origin games, and do expletive laden podcasts with Andrew Fifita, to mention just a couple of things, maybe he wouldn't get so much negative press.
Interesting. Im no expert, but I didn't see a mental health issue, at least not in the conventional sense. I saw a complete narcissist unable to comprehend why the world wasn't serving up to him what he saw as his entitlements, and filled with self pity for it.

Yep.

He's a narcissist in every sense.

Stuff him.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dugan reminds me of so many other kids I've seen, especially lower class kids.

I grew up a houso. Just white trash. Kids from these sorts of homes who show sporting potential are suddenly revered as the golden child, and the parents suddenly find no fault in the kid at all because they place all their hopes in that kid, all their expectations and all their pride.

It's not always a good thing. It ruins that kid, and anyone involved.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hard to blame them in some respects though, these are generally people who dont have a lot of hope, there is no real light at the end of the tunnel. And then they stumble on a lottery ticket, one that could not only pull the kid out of that situation, but ensure financial security for themselves and generations to come.

I mean, even given Dugan's career, the good and bad... can anyone say hand on heart what we know about Dugan, that his parents were wrong to make the sole focus for him sport?
I cant say they were wrong. The upside is this, an athlete who reached the very top of his sport, represented his state and country, and has earned more money than most of us will dream of.
The down side if he didnt make it? His dad, whatever that ceiling is, 3IC on a construction site.

Anyone here think they made the wrong call?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I don't blame mum and dad. As you said, Josh failed in his own regard

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just makes me sad for the kids that didn't make it.

Sport is often all they have. Most of the time the kids actually turn out ok. My brother and I did anyway. I thank rugby league a great deal.

My brother and I are decent, every day guys who love footy, family and friends. We don't do drugs never have. Little brother is a great guy. Should have played for NQ Cowboys, but another story. Wife. Kids. Lovey home.

A lot of our mates from Wattle Hill turned out meth heads and live very sad lives.

Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

I don’t feel sorry for people who don’t learn from their mistakes. You deserve everything you get mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Jees, some of you blokes know an awful lot about Dugan and his upbringing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: September 14, 2018, 8:09 pm

Its only a matter of time before narcissism is added to the list of "mental health" issues.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Oh poor man, he mustn't have had clean water, a roof over his head, food, clothes, an education.

Boo **** hoo, zero sympathy here. Many players do way more charity work than he does and would get almost zero recognition for it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It was ultimately best for the Raiders that Dugan left, and best for him too.

No real sympathy here - but it is what it is. It appears the Raiders tried everything to help the guy out, but he wasn't interested. Same as Carney and Ferguson.

It just sucks that a generation of top quality talent at our club turned out to be complete douchebags. Add Milford to the list and it set us back a decade.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2018, 10:21 am It was ultimately best for the Raiders that Dugan left, and best for him too.

No real sympathy here - but it is what it is. It appears the Raiders tried everything to help the guy out, but he wasn't interested. Same as Carney and Ferguson.

It just sucks that a generation of top quality talent at our club turned out to be complete douchebags. Add Milford to the list and it set us back a decade.
The problem was the Raiders started addressing his behaviour when it was too late.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Green eyed Mick wrote: September 15, 2018, 11:29 am
Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2018, 10:21 am It was ultimately best for the Raiders that Dugan left, and best for him too.

The problem was the Raiders started addressing his behaviour when it was too late.
No they didn't, they started working on his problems before he even entered their system proper. At all times Dugan Snr was the fly in the ointment, soon emulated by Josh when he realised what he could get away with by being a potential superstar.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Nadruku wrote: September 14, 2018, 9:17 pm I don’t feel sorry for people who don’t learn from their mistakes. You deserve everything you get mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karma.... 2 words spring to mind, initials F H
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ve got the “Him”, struggling with the F...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raiders moddle coddled him. He didn't respect that.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You know..id rather talk about a bloke who gave his all for our jersey.

Enter..Matt Orford.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: September 15, 2018, 7:46 pm Image

There's a short highlights video of Matt Orfords 6 games in green.

It's a total ballz up, super funny..

The knock on at the back of the scrum v Titans at Bruce caps it off..

2nd April 2011..I'll always remember where I was.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's not funny peej.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: September 15, 2018, 8:14 pm That's not funny peej.

Sorry dubs but Dugan makes me angry....
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dugan is a twat. No doubt. Can't stand him