Canberra Raiders fans fall by 20 per cent, but most likely to buy a new car

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders fans fall by 20 per cent, but most likely to buy a new car

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fans fall by 20 per cent in 2018, but most likely to buy a new car

The Brisbane Broncos have again ‘won’ the annual Roy Morgan NRL supporter ladder with 1.09 million supporters (up 6.5 per cent on a year ago) ahead of a surging Melbourne Storm which increased its support by an impressive 26.7 per cent to 1.05 million supporters.

Canberra Raiders support fell by 20.2 per cent in 2018 according to the Roy Morgan survey, from 218,000 to 174,000 and are in the bottom four teams in the NRL in terms of total supporters. One of the interesting quirks of the survey, however, shows that Raiders fans are the most likely in the NRL to buy a new car.

Read more: http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7725- ... 1809141006
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders fans most likely to buy a new car

Post by -TW- »

This is scraping the barrel...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to say, this Roy Morgan research every year... it is sort of rubbish.

They ring up people in Melbourne... and they say... which AFL team do you support... then they say which "rugby" team do you support? They say... "I think they're the Thunder... no, the Storm".

Research result: Melbourne Storm top three supported sports team in Australia!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

However, the worrying thing for the Raiders... they are consistently at the tail end of supporters in the NRL, and we have just lost 20 per cent of people who have said they have some vague affiliation with the Raiders just this year.

We’re told that taking a game to Wagga is going to "grow the brand". The Raiders' biggest opportunity to grow their brand is in Sydney and Brisbane or New Zealand... and you know what? They could more easily "grow the brand" in country areas by actually promoting themselves when other teams take them "away". So inviting people to a captain's run when they go to Bathurst/Orange or Mudgee... making more appearances in country centres when they are taken there by other clubs. Doing appearances when they play in Sydney and Queensland at regular games at Brisbane, Townsville, Gold Coast and Sydney.

I do not think that the Raiders' strategy for growing the brand is focused where it will deliver the best results. At the very least, they have ignored many, great opportunities in recent years. Hopefully, that changes.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

a 20% decline in supporters is perhaps more worthy of the headline.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Could just be a small sample size out of Canberra so more prone to variability.

I'd think the Penrith one is more of a suprise. Roosters and Sharks are poor considering their success as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: September 14, 2018, 10:07 pm Could just be a small sample size out of Canberra so more prone to variability.

I'd think the Penrith one is more of a suprise. Roosters and Sharks are poor considering their success as well.
I think it is fair to say that this survey is consistently affected by inadequate sampling in regional areas. But the fall in support of 20 per cent shouldn't be affected by that... unless the sampling and statistical research is really, seriously inadequate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: September 14, 2018, 10:07 pm Could just be a small sample size out of Canberra so more prone to variability.

There are less than 200,000 people in Penrith. They get spill over from surrounding areas (Blue Mountains 77,000, Blacktown 336,000), but the Eels district pushes into Blacktown too. Cronulla Sutherland has 225,000 people. The eastern suburbs of Sydney have 270,000. Canberra-Queanbeyan has 390,000.

Let’s be generous and say that all areas probably have a population base of about 400,000-500,000.

Brisbane has 2.4 million and South East Queensland 3.5 million. Take out 560,000 people who are residents of the Gold Coast. So the Broncos have a population base of 3 million people.

Melbourne has 4.5 million for one football team... though obviously the bulk of them aren’t really interested. But even a small proportion is probably a population base that’s as good as any Sydney team. And in “research” like this, you’ll get a lot of people from 4.5 million saying they “support” the only team in town.
edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders fans fall by 20 per cent, but most likely to buy a new car

Post by edwahu »

Sure, the Eastern suburbs isn't a huge area but they are like the Man U of League with teams full of stars and huge media exposure. I would've thought they had way more casual fans across the country.

I expected in Sydney to have less support based on geographical bounds with a lot of people moving within the city and more access to other teams grounds etc. I guess not though.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The equation for the Raiders is simple.

Have players and coaches non-rusted on fans respect and admire. And win more games.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I would only believe this statistical analysis if it said that Raiders fans were 97% more likely to buy heart medication.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

looks like the carpark needs to be expanded for next year
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a load of rubbish...

We lost 45,000 fans from last year, where did they go ?

Nowhere..they're still fans.

They are just hurting..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: