Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Titans are going to play hard ball according to NRL 360, will make him sit out if he fails to honour the deal.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green eyed Mick wrote: September 12, 2018, 7:38 pm
Matt wrote: September 12, 2018, 7:27 pm I cant see Peach coming here.
Nor do i think we have the money.
However....
If by some fluke it were possible, playing him at 6 wouldnt be the worst option. However, his D can be just as suspect as Austin and Williams, though id argue its usually better.
It would be worse than playing Hingano, Williams or Wighton in the role. He can't kick, he can't create and he's a pretty poor defender, worse than Williams and Austin on account of the penalties he gives away.
Peach D is 2018
23 games (centre x8, 5/8 x8, bench x3, fullback x4)
38 missed tackles
83% tackle efficiency
12 try causes
8 line break causes
18 errors
22 penalties
1 sin bin

Sammy D 2018
14 games
36 missed tackles
80% tackle efficiency
11 try causes
11 line break causes
11 errors
11 penalties

Austin D 2018
22 games
47 missed tackles
77% tackle efficiency
19 try causes
24 line break causes
18 errors
14 penalties
1 sin bin

Sezers D 2018
18 games (bench x2, 5/8 to hooker x2, half 14)
48 missed tackles
81% tackle efficiency
9 try causes
7 line break causes
20 errors
8 penalties

These numbers suggest Peach is a better defender bar the penalties.

*SELF EDIT, thanks Ed
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Try contributions is a stat that means he handled the footy in the lead up to a try. I think you mean try causes and line break causes.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: September 12, 2018, 8:13 pm Try contributions is a stat that means he handled the footy in the lead up to a try. I think you mean try causes and line break causes.
:lol:
What he said.
Oops
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Matt wrote: September 12, 2018, 8:12 pm
However....
If by some fluke it were possible, playing him at 6 wouldnt be the worst option. However, his D can be just as suspect as Austin and Williams, though id argue its usually better.
It would be worse than playing Hingano, Williams or Wighton in the role. He can't kick, he can't create and he's a pretty poor defender, worse than Williams and Austin on account of the penalties he gives away.
Peach D is 2018
23 games (centre x8, 5/8 x8, bench x3, fullback x4)
38 missed tackles
83% tackle efficiency
12 try causes
8 line break causes
18 errors
22 penalties
1 sin bin

Sammy D 2018
14 games
36 missed tackles
80% tackle efficiency
11 try causes
11 line break causes
11 errors
11 penalties

Austin D 2018
22 games
47 missed tackles
77% tackle efficiency
19 try causes
24 line break causes
18 errors
14 penalties
1 sin bin

Sezers D 2018
18 games (bench x2, 5/8 to hooker x2, half 14)
48 missed tackles
81% tackle efficiency
9 try causes
7 line break causes
20 errors
8 penalties

These numbers suggest Peach is a better defender bar the penalties.

*SELF EDIT, thanks Ed
The stats you posted don't mean much. Peachey played a variety of positions in defence so you'd need to look at averages and only games he played in the halves to get a fair comparison.

At the end of the day he isn't a half or a fullback. He is an expensive centre who'd be on the bench in our full strength side.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

However....
Jesus what do you have against Peachey?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

julian87 wrote: September 12, 2018, 8:40 pm
However....
Jesus what do you have against Peachey?
He isn't a half or fullback.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2018, 7:46 pm Titans are going to play hard ball according to NRL 360, will make him sit out if he fails to honour the deal.
You'd think they will sort something out. The RLPA will have them in court if they sit him out.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: September 12, 2018, 9:11 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2018, 7:46 pm Titans are going to play hard ball according to NRL 360, will make him sit out if he fails to honour the deal.
You'd think they will sort something out. The RLPA will have them in court if they sit him out.
They are within their rights to sit him. He signed a legally binding contract. Now he wants out.

Its same same but different at Dogs with Foran apparently. He would rather play NSW Cup and rake it in rather than leave.

TBF, i think they will sort it out, coz it benefits no one to take this course of action.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: September 12, 2018, 9:11 pm
Peachey wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It takes two parties to break a contract.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Normal employment contracts let you give notice, you dont end up bound to an employer for 4 years with no recourse to leave.

Even if it was a poor case, the RLPA will fund a potentially very damaging court case to get him out of the deal. The NRL won't want to deal with the headaches that could eventuate and the risk of player contracting getting even more screwed up.

Either way this gets sorted but he won't be sitting out.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If the guy doesn't want to be there what's the point of forcing him to be?

Just release him and get on with it, otherwise you've got a guy who won't put in stuck there for 4 years.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

If they play hardball they might get someone of value from the club he ends up signing with.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-GD- wrote:If they play hardball they might get someone of value from the club he ends up signing with.
Exactly, Titans would be silly not to hold their position and see what kind of player swap they can get as compensation.

Imagine if they got Cleary out of this. Won’t happen because Penrith will choose Cleary over Peachey, but I would laugh
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah this all feels like posturing to figure out a player swap or whatever.
The Titans should hold his rights until they've exhausted all those options... but ultimately if nothing comes of it, no point forcing a guy to be there.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

If Peachey is able to backflip on this without the Titans getting anything out of it... then inserting and then getting rid of the 10 day cooling off period seems like a waste of time, it's back to how it was before really and that would be very sad to see.

It'd be sad to see Titans get gipped over this like they did with Daly Cherry-TwoDads
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ayoub shouldn't have brought it up unless he had an alternative. Putting it out into the media would be about trying to win sympathy like he did with Milford, but it's backfired big time.
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:Normal employment contracts let you give notice, you dont end up bound to an employer for 4 years with no recourse to leave.

Even if it was a poor case, the RLPA will fund a potentially very damaging court case to get him out of the deal. The NRL won't want to deal with the headaches that could eventuate and the risk of player contracting getting even more screwed up.

Employment contracts usually have ‘get out’ clauses. For example, 4 weeks notice for either party.

I doubt too many NRL contracts have something similar.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: September 13, 2018, 1:55 pm
edwahu wrote:Normal employment contracts let you give notice, you dont end up bound to an employer for 4 years with no recourse to leave.

Employment contracts usually have ‘get out’ clauses. For example, 4 weeks notice for either party.

No they wouldn’t. These contracts are for huge annual salaries. They are generally organised by player managers and legal representatives. It’s not like someone who takes a job at Woolies that usually comes with a notice clause. NRL contracts are nothing like it and the players and their representatives would be under no illusions about that. These contracts are more like contracts for TV talent... you walk out on Channel 9, you don’t walk out mid contract or before you even turn up for work, and turn up on Channel 7 the next week.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote: September 13, 2018, 1:55 pm

No they wouldn’t. These contracts are for huge annual salaries. They are generally organised by player managers and legal representatives. It’s not like someone who takes a job at Woolies that usually comes with a notice clause. NRL contracts are nothing like it and the players and their representatives would be under no illusions about that. These contracts are more like contracts for TV talent... you walk out on Channel 9, you don’t walk out mid contract or before you even turn up for work, and turn up on Channel 7 the next week.
Spot on GE. That makes my point in a much clearer way.

Imagine the opportunities for Israel Folau to swap around Union, League, AFL and Downhill cheese wheel chasing if he wasn’t locked in via contract.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Comparing a sportsmans contract with an every day employment offer in the real world must be like comparing apples and oranges.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Plenty of big contracts in the private sector which would have notice clauses. I take your point though.

The thing about the comparison TV talent is that they don't have a union with the leverage of the RLPA or a precarious contracting system already severely damaged by a court case in the past. That's why I think it gets sorted out before it gets to the point of the player sitting out.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

The main thing that sucks for the Titans is that they’ve been negotiating with other players assuming they have Peachey on the books, so that will have influenced how much they can offer. If they knew they had another $450k (the supposed value of Peachey’s deal) up their sleeve then at the very least that effects how much they’ve been able to offer.

Realistically, it will also have had an effect on who they’re targeting as they’ve figured they’ve got their centres (or whatever position they had planned for him) sorted.

I mean, I wish ill on every other club, so I’m not losing sleep over it, but it should influence whatever compromise is reached.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think it's difficult to determine damages in that regard. Another way of looking at it is that prospective players may have signed for less for the opportunity to play with a current state of origin player.

The titans will rightfully play hard ball for one reason and it won't be to get him to play against his will. They'll want to use him as leverage to get another quality player as has been suggested by others.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

FROG wrote: September 13, 2018, 6:30 pm I think it's difficult to determine damages in that regard. Another way of looking at it is that prospective players may have signed for less for the opportunity to play with a current state of origin player.

The titans will rightfully play hard ball for one reason and it won't be to get him to play against his will. They'll want to use him as leverage to get another quality player as has been suggested by others.
Yeah, that’s fair. I broadly agree that clubs are better off without players that don’t want to be there, it’s just a matter of sorting something out so they’re not disadvantaged.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

FROG wrote: September 13, 2018, 6:30 pm I think it's difficult to determine damages in that regard. Another way of looking at it is that prospective players may have signed for less for the opportunity to play with a current state of origin player.

I don't see many wingers signing for the Titans to play outside him. He's a ball hog. Hopefully the Titans target a few of those Broncos young guys now instead.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

This is another area where not having a formal transfer system or a drafting hurts. It would be solved in no time if there was either of those.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Shaun Fensom released. Any use as a bench player or past it?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

sprintman wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:15 pm Shaun Fensom released. Any use as a bench player or past it?
Give him a squad spot if he wants it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Phil Gould has apparently said on his Podcast that the Titans have offered to swap Peachey for Moloney

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:36 pm Phil Gould has apparently said on his Podcast that the Titans have offered to swap Peachey for Moloney

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
And Paul Kent says the Titans deny they’re interested in a swap, they wanted to take Maloney too, if the Panthers had cap pressure.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think we could do a lot worse than Fensom. He showed at Cowboys that he could play up front and I think that’s where he could be of use to us.

I wouldn’t see him back in his old lock position.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing Andrew McFadden has the nod to join the Raiders coaching staff, as widely speculated.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:39 pm I think we could do a lot worse than Fensom. He showed at Cowboys that he could play up front and I think that’s where he could be of use to us.

I wouldn’t see him back in his old lock position.
Would be good as a senior player at Mounties, mentoring the young forwards, but not a Raiders contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 13, 2018, 8:42 pm Hearing Andrew McFadden has the nod to join the Raiders coaching staff, as widely speculated.
Colour me shocked.