Havili confident Tonga on tier-one track

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Havili confident Tonga on tier-one track

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Siliva Havili confident Tonga on tier-one track

Tonga hooker Siliva Havili believes they're on track to become a tier-one Test nation in the wake of confirmation they'll play world champions Australia in Auckland next month. The Canberra Raider will likely wear the Tonga No.9 against the Kangaroos at Mt Smart Stadium on October 20 - a week after Australia plays New Zealand at the same venue.

"If we can keep building this thing we've started, we laid a platform at the World Cup, but if we can keep it going, we can take these big, tier-one nations on ... rugby league's only heading in the right direction."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 501v0.html
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Havili confident Tonga on tier-one track

Post by RedRaider »

Hopefully Siliva can be a look out for emerging Tongan talent for us. Or even a player like Robert Jennings who I think is off contract at the end of this season. He would be a fine addition to our squad.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

RedRaider wrote:Hopefully Siliva can be a look out for emerging Tongan talent for us. Or even a player like Robert Jennings who I think is off contract at the end of this season. He would be a fine addition to our squad.
After the season Jennings has had the only way he leaves the bunnies is for a significant pay upgrade.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think you are right RTW but I don't know that he would be on big dollars at present as his contract ends. Gagai was reported to have joined the Rabbitohs on $750K and they have Inglis and Sam Burgess plus the Burgess twins Cook, Johnston, Reynolds, Sutton and Walker all on large dollars. We were found wanting in the outside backs this year after one injury and one suspension.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Agreed he is not on much money but you don’t leave a top 4 team after a 20odd try season to join a team who didn’t make the 8 without a serious upgrade in pay!