Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Sydney Roosters Ryan Matterson

Post by Sid »

Timbo wrote: September 5, 2018, 10:30 am
greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:12 pm
Johno wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:11 pm We are in the market for a fringe utility first grader with past concussion issues from the Roosters, yes we have signed others but not big names.

The Roosters sign:

Ryan Hall, English international,
Crichton from Souths
Brett Morris seasoned SOO and International in twilight but goes well still

Re sign Victor Radley, Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend, Luke Keary, Isaac Liu, Joseph Manu, Latrell Mitchell.

This year signed Cooper Cronk and Tedesco.

Its wrong and the $ should be more public so there is NO WAY the cap can be manipulated, no TPA's.

Its killing the game and the passion of many fans
Salaries MUST be made public.
What's the difference? They'll just lie.

Does anyone really think that Milford knocked back the deal we put to him just so he could play under the amazing Wayne?
for $450k per year instead of $1.2M... must be some pretty damn fine sand on them beaches there.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pigman wrote: September 4, 2018, 8:17 pm 500k?
**** if thats what his market is, ill take my chances elsewhere.
Yeah I don’t think he’d be commanding that much at all. He’d be on next to minimum wage at Easts currently and most teams are pretty set for second rowers.

Souths are the obvious suitors but I doubt they’d be offering anywhere near that.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think NRL players are ready for public disclosure of their Salary and payments.

But the NRL and the integrity commission should have full access to players salary, bank account, phone records and tax returns.

All 16 club boards should have access to all these details at the end of every season, with the individual players names and identities removed and key data scrubbed.

This will actually help the players and the game in the long term. And most importantly improve the public’s trust in the honesty of the players and the code.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matterson will be coming off his rookie contract, so yes, on not much ATM. When he plays, he is good. The Q is, do you want him as your 1st choice 5/8?

As for salary disclosure, its a must. Only way to make the cap transparent.
If the NRL and players really have issue with the public knowing it, fine, dont tell us, the fans, the public, but at the very least every club needs access, at anytime to that info, 24/7. Which of course would just lead to leaks, but so be it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matterson would be an excellent addition to the squad. Genuine talent and very versatile. Can play middle or edge forward, 5/8 and centre. Much like Whitehead he's more effective as a forward.

Where he fits in our squad is the key. I'd see him as 1st backup in a number of positions. A certainty for the 17 each week. May not necessarily start unless there's injury or suspension.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 12:09 pm Matterson will be coming off his rookie contract, so yes, on not much ATM. When he plays, he is good. The Q is, do you want him as your 1st choice 5/8?

If the NRL and players really have issue with the public knowing it, fine, dont tell us, the fans, the public, but at the very least every club needs access, at anytime to that info, 24/7. Which of course would just lead to leaks, but so be it.
I think the real question is, do you want Matterson, Williams or Wighton as your first-choice 5/8?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I watched him really close for first half of the year playing 2nd row. More than handy.
Runs very good lines off the halves, and was always working with decoys. Has a very good offload, and obviously as a half in juniors he can pass well, but he didn’t do much of that while in the 2nd row. Interestingly, even though he’s a half turned forward, he played very traditional line running play.
Defensive wise was very good. Works very hard. Even though he was on the edge he racks up the tackles as he follows play and gets involved. Much like Whitehead.
There were multiple weeks where I thought he was probably among the best edge forward in the round. Was churning out some really good football.

Really weird what happened with his concussion. Hasn’t been back to what he was doing. Pretty sure it was a football kicked into his head as well? I just wonder what the go is with that, and if it’s a coincidence he’s being shopped now...

I’d be chasing him hard as a second rower, as long as that concussion thing is sorted. He’s seriously top shelf on the edge.
As a half I’m not sure. Better than Austin definitely.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Timbo wrote: September 5, 2018, 12:26 pm
Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 12:09 pm Matterson will be coming off his rookie contract, so yes, on not much ATM. When he plays, he is good. The Q is, do you want him as your 1st choice 5/8?

I think the real question is, do you want Matterson, Williams or Wighton as your first-choice 5/8?
I can make an argument for any. Im not sure TBH.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Whats more troubling Matt is you could make a very strong case AGAINST everyone on that list.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Beejay »

julian87 wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:34 am **** it would be a typical Stuart squad to have Whitehead, Papalii, Bateman, Tapine and Matterson.
Papalli is a middle forward and has been for a couple of years even though we recently switched him (IMO), called for it last year. Not mobile enough in defence for the edge.
Apparently Bateman is good in the middle too.
I know most people dont' agree with me, but I think Tapine is just as good or better in the middle. I know he's been great on the edge this year, but I've seen signs from him that I saw in Papalli - he can get beaten for mobility in defence on the edge. His offload, footwork and fend can be used to great effect in the middle - like Pangai.

If we are redesigning our defence, and we should, I'd have Papalli and Tapine at Prop with someone like Bateman at lock. Middle becomes fast, mobile and explosive. Defensive middle can work harder like top sides.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: September 5, 2018, 1:43 pm
Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Whats more troubling Matt is you could make a very strong case AGAINST everyone on that list.
Yep, that too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Beejay wrote: September 5, 2018, 2:09 pm
julian87 wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:34 am **** it would be a typical Stuart squad to have Whitehead, Papalii, Bateman, Tapine and Matterson.
Papalli is a middle forward and has been for a couple of years even though we recently switched him (IMO), called for it last year. Not mobile enough in defence for the edge.
I know most people dont' agree with me, but I think Tapine is just as good or better in the middle. I know he's been great on the edge this year, but I've seen signs from him that I saw in Papalli - he can get beaten for mobility in defence on the edge. His offload, footwork and fend can be used to great effect in the middle - like Pangai.

If we are redesigning our defence, and we should, I'd have Papalli and Tapine at Prop with someone like Bateman at lock. Middle becomes fast, mobile and explosive. Defensive middle can work harder like top sides.
I dont hate this line of thinking either. Has merit
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Kinda moot discussion though. He's a ready made replacement for Crichton at the Bunnies. We would need to seriously outbid them for him to consider leaving inner Sydney. That would mean paying overs. Better keeping money in the war chest for a position of greater need.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: September 5, 2018, 11:46 am
Yeah I don’t think he’d be commanding that much at all. He’d be on next to minimum wage at Easts currently and most teams are pretty set for second rowers.

Souths are the obvious suitors but I doubt they’d be offering anywhere near that.
I reckon you guys are still in a bit of denial about what we need to pay players.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Signing with the Tigers apparently.

NRL: Wests Tigers poised to sign Sydney Roosters utility Ryan Matterson

The Tigers have beaten a host of clubs to sign Roosters utility Ryan Matterson for next season. Matterson is poised to sign a two-year deal with the Tigers after WWOS revealed earlier this week that he had been given permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-wests- ... 3e42be248e
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

I’ve been pretty vocal with mates about Tapine being best on the edge and also being reluctant to switch Papa to prop but I could be open to this plan. It’s a dynamic list compared to the 2018 model. Would be the first time we’d have line-breaking, try-scoring starting props since...maybe ever?

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Whitehead
12. Matterson
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Lui
17. Soliola

Knight, Sutton, L. Bateman, Murchie, Horsborough, Hunt
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 5, 2018, 9:37 pm
Matt wrote: September 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

I’ve been pretty vocal with mates about Tapine being best on the edge and also being reluctant to switch Papa to prop but I could be open to this plan. It’s a dynamic list compared to the 2018 model. Would be the first time we’d have line-breaking, try-scoring starting props since...maybe ever?

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Whitehead
12. Matterson
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Lui
17. Soliola

Knight, Sutton, L. Bateman, Murchie, Horsborough, Hunt
Looks a solid squad
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

He is off to the Tigers

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: September 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

I reckon you guys are still in a bit of denial about what we need to pay players.
What we need to pay players or what we do pay them?
Two different things... and only one way to put an end to it.

We dont need to overpay players, particularly not young unproven guys who want a shot (which is not to be confused with young unproven superstars who you'd happily give the earth too, like Kayln Ponga) . NRL roster spots are a zero sum game.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I dont see why we need to recruit any more forwards other than for depth, and I dont know if even that is required. If a great half was to become available that would be nice, but we beat the roosters and souths after our season was over, with Williams and Austin in the halves.
Im not saying Williams is any kind of football genius, but the team can perform fine with the current list.
With Bateman and Sutton, knight, Murchie and Guler coming in, we have a more than competitive team list. Getting them to perform consistently somewhere near their potential is all that is required.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: September 6, 2018, 7:50 am

We dont need to overpay players, particularly not young unproven guys who want a shot (which is not to be confused with young unproven superstars who you'd happily give the earth too, like Kayln Ponga) . NRL roster spots are a zero sum game.
I know where you are coming from, but at the same time we are effectively frozen out of signing any NRL first grader if we decide not to overpay. Whether we can remain competitive without access to those players is debatable.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

edwahu wrote: September 6, 2018, 9:53 am

I know where you are coming from, but at the same time we are effectively frozen out of signing any NRL first grader if we decide not to overpay. Whether we can remain competitive without access to those players is debatable.
I think we have a pretty good team. And we are salary cap compliant. Are we moaning because we are not able to rort the system with a dragons hoard of 3rd party payments?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:12 pm Salaries MUST be made public.
Here's an example from my NHL team:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

hrundi89 wrote:

Image Transparency :cool:

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

woppadingo wrote: September 6, 2018, 11:43 am
edwahu wrote: September 6, 2018, 9:53 am

I think we have a pretty good team. And we are salary cap compliant. Are we moaning because we are not able to rort the system with a dragons hoard of 3rd party payments?
Well it would be nice.

We have a bottom of the 8 squad at the moment and that's traditionally where we sit talent wise, but if we can't buy first grade players than we are at risk of not even been that competitive long term.
Last edited by edwahu on September 6, 2018, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:

Hey unfair call guys. The Roosters and Broncos already have this Player Salary public reporting system in place. See for yourself.

Broncos. https://www.nationaldebtclocks.org

Roosters. http://www.castawayfoodpackaging.com.au ... rown-flat/
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

There is no doubt still an opportunity for clubs to cheat, but the relative transparency and the existence of the data as it is just adds to the curiosity for the sport and it's fans and after perhaps an initial phase of "you're paying him how much?", I think it would be a positive outcome.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: September 6, 2018, 4:06 pm There is no doubt still an opportunity for clubs to cheat, but the relative transparency and the existence of the data as it is just adds to the curiosity for the sport and it's fans and after perhaps an initial phase of "you're paying him how much?", I think it would be a positive outcome.
Absolutely.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It would be very interesting, but if you look at examples from overseas you have to remember they have a huge amount of other restrictions and mechanisms in place.

The NBA CBA is 600 pages and probably 500 is devoted to the rules on the cap, draft, free agency and their enforcement. Those working together provide for different strategies for managing a roster and are what generates the interest, whereas in the NRL I think it would be a bit of a dead end for fans after the initial reveal.

It would definitely be a start though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hrundi89 wrote: September 6, 2018, 4:06 pm There is no doubt still an opportunity for clubs to cheat, but the relative transparency and the existence of the data as it is just adds to the curiosity for the sport and it's fans and after perhaps an initial phase of "you're paying him how much?", I think it would be a positive outcome.
PREACH IT! Sing it from the hilltops until they yield.

www.overthecap.com

**** your privacy. You want to play professional sports, have punters pay their hard earn to pay your wage, have government/tax payers fund your facilities, give your leagues clubs grants to make your club, and your income sustainable, coaches and ceo's want to use your salary as justification for poor performance, YOU, THE ATHLETE, you hide behind wilful ignorance to skate on punishment for salary cap cheating...

Fine. Public salaries and life bans for players who salary doesn't the publicly listed salary. Transparency, accountability, and the end of salary cap cheating over night, for the price of a minor invasion of your privacy, the likes of which every other elite athlete in the world accepts.
And stop pretending like you're the only industry who has this, anyone armed with the google and my job classification can obtain my salary, so **** your privacy. The public and organisational benefits far out weigh you Bull privacy concerns.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders linked to Sydney Roosters Ryan Matterson

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote:
PREACH IT! Sing it from the hilltops until they yield.

www.overthecap.com

**** your privacy. You want to play professional sports, have punters pay their hard earn to pay your wage, have government/tax payers fund your facilities, give your leagues clubs grants to make your club, and your income sustainable, coaches and ceo's want to use your salary as justification for poor performance, YOU, THE ATHLETE, you hide behind wilful ignorance to skate on punishment for salary cap cheating...

Fine. Public salaries and life bans for players who salary doesn't the publicly listed salary. Transparency, accountability, and the end of salary cap cheating over night, for the price of a minor invasion of your privacy, the likes of which every other elite athlete in the world accepts.
And stop pretending like you're the only industry who has this, anyone armed with the google and my job classification can obtain my salary, so **** your privacy. The public and organisational benefits far out weigh you Bull privacy concerns.
This

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If players don’t want their salaries on public record then they can look for an alternative career. One that isn’t funded on back of public interest.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Looks like he will be a Tiger. Well, if the articles are anything to go by
hiriser
Sam Backo

Post by hiriser »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:12 pm
Johno wrote: September 4, 2018, 10:11 pm We are in the market for a fringe utility first grader with past concussion issues from the Roosters, yes we have signed others but not big names.

The Roosters sign:

Ryan Hall, English international,
Crichton from Souths
Brett Morris seasoned SOO and International in twilight but goes well still

Re sign Victor Radley, Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend, Luke Keary, Isaac Liu, Joseph Manu, Latrell Mitchell.

This year signed Cooper Cronk and Tedesco.

Its wrong and the $ should be more public so there is NO WAY the cap can be manipulated, no TPA's.

Its killing the game and the passion of many fans
Salaries MUST be made public.
Boycott until they do.
hiriser
Sam Backo

Post by hiriser »

So that's 600k off the roosters cap for 2019