Josh Papalii wins the 2018 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Award

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii is the winner of the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Award for 2018.

The award was decided in the final round of the season, with Papalii taking man of the match honours in the clash with the Warriors - and overtaking Joe Tapine. It is the second time Papalii has won the Fans' Choice award, also finishing on top in 2016. As the Player of the Year, Papalii also takes out the Fans' Choice Award for Forward of the Year.

Papalii started the season in indifferent form, and was relegated to the Raiders NSW Premiership affiliate, Mounties, in Round 5. He responded with a man of the match performance, clocking up an impressive 182 metres from 17 runs, 78 post contact metres, four tackle breaks and 21 tackles. He didn't play "reserve grade" again, playing 22 NRL matches for the season - and was named man of the match by the fans in six matches.

“I probably agreed with Ricky on the call to drop me back,” Papalii said after his return to first grade. “I just copped it on the chin like most players would. Sticky said I wasn’t in form and dropped me back for one week. I’ve been in these shoes before. I got dropped back to Souths Logan back in the day. Sometimes to try and get that spark you need to take a few steps backwards and come back a better player.”

He certainly did that. After returning to firsts, Papalii shifted from the edge to the middle and made the lock position his own. He played all three State of Origin matches for the Maroons, and put himself back into contention for Kangaroos selection.

"I thought he had a really good series, I think he's having a really good year," Australian coach Mal Meninga said after the Origin series.

"Certainly since he's been dropped, come back in the side and playing in the middle of the field at 13 he's excelled. I think he's one of the best forwards in the competition at the moment on form."

"The good thing with 'Papa' is he's got flexibility. He can play edge, he can play middle. The middle suits him. He's a big unit, got good footwork, good speed, he's got a great motor, he can last good minutes."

He finished the season as the Raiders' biggest metre eater in the forwards, averaging 126 metres from 14 runs and 27 tackles per game. He produced five tries and two try assists and also made 56 tackle breaks, seven line breaks and 14 offloads for the year.

Papalii earned a four year contract extension with the club in June, tying him to the Green Machine until the end of 2022. He'll be aged 30 by the end of that deal, and it now seems likely he'll end his career as a one club man.

Fellow back rowers Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead finished in second and third place in the voting. Tapine played just 16 games due to suspension and injury. He led the voting before breaking his thumb with two matches remaining in the season - so he's been very consistent when on field.

Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton are joint winners of the Back of the Year, finishing the season on 11 points. Wighton did not play after Round 15, suspended after he pleaded guilty to assault charges - his regrettable off field behaviour also costing his team dearly. Rapana was one of the joint winners of the Fans' Choice Award in 2017, but he only forced a tie in the last round, polling two points against the Warriors.

The Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year has been awarded since 2004, with the inaugural winner being Ruben Wiki. Other winners have included Alan Tongue, Terry Campese, Shaun Fensom, Jarrod Croker, Josh Hodgson, Jordan Rapana and Nick Cotric. The award, sponsored by The Greenhouse Canberra Raiders supporters site (TheGH.com.au), is voted on by the fans on line, who give 3-2-1 points to the best players each week. The Player of the Year receives a crystal trophy from The Greenhouse.

2018 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice

Fans' Choice Player of the Year and Best Forward: Josh Papalii
Best Backs: Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton

Final Leaderboard:

21 - Josh Papalii
19 - Joe Tapine
14 - Elliott Whitehead
12 - Josh Hodgson
11 - Jordan Rapana
11 - Jack Wighton
10 - Nick Cotric
9 - Shannon Boyd
8 - Joey Leilua
8 - Sia Soliola
6 - Siliva Havili
6 - Aidan Sezer
3 - Blake Austin
3 - Jarrod Croker
3 - Sam Williams

Previous winners:

2017 Jordan Rapana, Nick Cotric
2016 Josh Papalii
2015 Josh Hodgson
2014 Jarrod Croker
2013 Jarrod Croker
2012 Shaun Fensom, Blake Ferguson
2011 Shaun Fensom
2010 Josh Dugan
2009 Josh Dugan
2008 Terry Campese
2007 Alan Tongue
2006 Alan Tongue
2005 Jason Smith (Clinton Schifcofske finished on equal points, with Jason Smith declared winner on countback)
2004 Ruben Wiki
edwahu

Re: Josh Papalii wins the 2018 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Award

Post by edwahu »

Well done Papa.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think i voted at all this year, so maybe im part of the problem haha
But i thought Tapine probably deserved it... though i suppose he missed quite a few games through injury and suspension
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The fans have spoken.

Congrats on a fantastic 2018 Papa.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well deserved after a shoddy start to the season.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton are joint winners of the Back of the Year, finishing the season on 11 points.

Im staggered, recount !!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: September 6, 2018, 7:43 pm I dont think i voted at all this year, so maybe im part of the problem haha
But i thought Tapine probably deserved it... though i suppose he missed quite a few games through injury and suspension
As the story points out, Tapine only played 16 matches... so the fact he finished second was remarkable enough!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Interesting Lui failed to secure a single point despite being widly regarded as solid this season.

Guess it kind of highlights his role in this team and how he should be viewed as. Has a role but he should not be one of our leading forwards. Should be a part of the 21 always but never a sure thing as a starting 17 player.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sorry, i didnt read the story! Haha

Criticism retracted, Papalii over 22 games was probably marginally better than Tarps over 16. Humblest apologies GH voting public.

But yeah speaks volumes about Tapine's season. Game to game, i think he was our best and most consistent player. Gotta find a way to cut down those suspensions though
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

For the first few rounds of the season Papalli was rubbish. He turned up overweight and uninterested.

His reversal in form was one of the highlights of a grim season - well done papa.

Imagine my surprise when he got dropped, and changed his attitude.

It’s amazing what accountability for you performance does..... and amazing Sticky didn’t drop more players when presented with papas reversal.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hodgo missed 14-15 weeks and finished 4th.

Our team stink.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We've got a Josh, a Joe, a Josh, a Jordan, a Jack, a Joey, a Jarrod and a John on the way...

And Jnr leaving..
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Johno wrote:Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton are joint winners of the Back of the Year, finishing the season on 11 points.

Im staggered, recount !!!
That is a remarkable stat
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

As good as Josh Papalii has been I don’t think he can get away with that kind of pre season all f the time. Credit where credits due for turning it around though, he is a pure rugby league player
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 6, 2018, 8:04 pm Sorry, i didnt read the story! Haha

Criticism retracted, Papalii over 22 games was probably marginally better than Tarps over 16. Humblest apologies GH voting public.

But yeah speaks volumes about Tapine's season. Game to game, i think he was our best and most consistent player. Gotta find a way to cut down those suspensions though
TBF, Hodgos 14pts in 11 games is better than Tapine, and Jacks 11pts in 13 games is only marginally worse. Its its amazing how missing games affects this sort of thing.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

No halves in the top 10. There is our issue.

How many other clubs wouldn’t have a half in their top 10.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: September 6, 2018, 9:48 pm No halves in the top 10. There is our issue.

How many other clubs wouldn’t have a half in their top 10.
Not many. Not in any year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii named Fan’s best in 2018: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... t-in-2018/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Never realised the club was running an award. It's kind of disappointing they couldn't be bothered including it in the Meninga Medal ceremony.

I'm guessing this might mean no presentation for the GH award anymore. Not a huge suprise I suppose.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seems the GH rates Hodgo a lot higher than the general fan base
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: September 18, 2018, 6:45 pm Seems the GH rates Hodgo a lot higher than the general fan base
Depends who the club nominated. You could only vote for their 3 selections each week.