Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget ABC Radio Canberra Grandstand with Tim Gavel Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: http://www.abc.net.au/canberra

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or email Tim Gavel at gavel.tim@abc.net.au.

Or send Tim a tweet @TimGavel on twitter.

Ricky Stuart will be on the program.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Recording of the press conference.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is Tim's last ever Canberra Grandstand.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'll miss you Tim

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yep, I was a good show, but a sad one this morning.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Is he leaving ABC or just vacating the show?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's retiring after 30 years. He might still commentate Raiders games if invited by the ABC.

He breaks a lot of stories on Saturday mornings shows... he has a gentle style which produces results... in his own way.

Not entirely sure who is taking the slot... a female journalist from what i understand. It needs someone who will actually break news on the show. They were saying this morning the ABC is having three journalists fill his slots.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Hopefully a journo who can ask some tough questions of their local NRL team who underperforms.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Peter wrote:Hopefully a journo who can ask some tough questions of their local NRL team who underperforms.
Hopefully one of the three is more hard nosed, but Gavel was usually on the money with quality and reliable Raiders news.

His style was great for Canberra sport as a whole. It’s just that he was the opposite type of character to a Weidler or Rothfield.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Peter wrote:Hopefully a journo who can ask some tough questions of their local NRL team who underperforms.
HA!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's hilarious that people think Tim Gavel should be some sort of hard hitting journalist.

He's a sports commentator. And a very good one at that.

He'll be sorely missed at the ABC.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He’s also a journalist, no one was asking him to go in and be some hard Walkley award winner, but his job is to tell the story of the club, not use his position as a pseudo PR firm for the club and the being the personification of the This is Fine dog meme

Just represent the real story, ask legitimate questions of a coach and club which is chronically underperforming, instead of just being a Yes man

“Hey Ricky, another close loss from a winning position, the forwards looked tired at the end, any reason why Knight wasn’t used?”

“Blake Austin has struggled defensively all year, another tough game for him today. Have you given any thought to changes, either in positioning, structure or personnel?”

“Rick, it’s been a tough year, missing the finals for the 4th year in 5. Do you believe that you’re a **** and that you need to resign?”

“Hi Don, seeing a lot of fans online venting their frustrations at another failed season. The club has largely underperformed under your watch, what can you say to the fans to give them hope you and the current staff can turn it around?”

“Don, do you think you’d have this job if you weren’t a Furner, and do you think you’d have hired Ricky if he didn’t have the personal connection to JR and the Furners that he does?”

“Don, question about the club, Is the family first mentality that dictates the personnel decisions of high level positions at the club holding the club back from success? How can you assure the fans you’ve they’ve got the best men for the jobs if the talent pool is restricted based on personal relationships?”

Y’know, just do the job that you’ve been hired to do
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Off topic but is it a yearly thing that the CEO is voted for or is it a set term for a number of years?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BigPapa wrote: September 3, 2018, 10:48 am Off topic but is it a yearly thing that the CEO is voted for or is it a set term for a number of years?
Up until such time when they find somebody more boneheaded to fill the position.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:36 am He’s also a journalist, no one was asking him to go in and be some hard Walkley award winner, but his job is to tell the story of the club, not use his position as a pseudo PR firm for the club and the being the personification of the This is Fine dog meme

Just represent the real story, ask legitimate questions of a coach and club which is chronically underperforming, instead of just being a Yes man

“Hey Ricky, another close loss from a winning position, the forwards looked tired at the end, any reason why Knight wasn’t used?”

“Blake Austin has struggled defensively all year, another tough game for him today. Have you given any thought to changes, either in positioning, structure or personnel?”

“Rick, it’s been a tough year, missing the finals for the 4th year in 5. Do you believe that you’re a **** and that you need to resign?”

“Hi Don, seeing a lot of fans online venting their frustrations at another failed season. The club has largely underperformed under your watch, what can you say to the fans to give them hope you and the current staff can turn it around?”

“Don, do you think you’d have this job if you weren’t a Furner, and do you think you’d have hired Ricky if he didn’t have the personal connection to JR and the Furners that he does?”

“Don, question about the club, Is the family first mentality that dictates the personnel decisions of high level positions at the club holding the club back from success? How can you assure the fans you’ve they’ve got the best men for the jobs if the talent pool is restricted based on personal relationships?”

yep, great caller, not so good at the journalism bit
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:36 am He’s also a journalist, no one was asking him to go in and be some hard Walkley award winner, but his job is to tell the story of the club, not use his position as a pseudo PR firm for the club and the being the personification of the This is Fine dog meme

Why is he a journalist simply because he works in the media? Journalism and commentating on sports are two very different things.

Tim Gavel is a sports commentator. That's what he calls himself. He is paid to call and comment on sports events. Just like David Morrow, Jim Maxwell and a zillion other sports commentators for the ABC. They are not journalists.

He doesn't have to be a journalist just because everyone wants him to demand answers on behalf of the fans.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. I just want to congratulate him on an excellent career at the ABC. I thought he was a wonderful commentator over the years.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tireless-t ... 4zt92.html

"Now the Canberra sports commentator known as 'Tireless Tim' says he'll turn off his microphone for the first time since 1988 and finish his career as an ABC journalist."

"Gavel, for decades one of the most respected voices in Canberra sport as a commentator and journalist"

"But he is most recognisable for his coverage of sport and was nicknamed 'Tireless Tim' by fellow commentator Tim Lane because of his work ethic. Gavel, it's said, used to sleep in the studio when chasing stories"

"He has been a commentator at seven Olympics and seven Commonwealth Games for ABC Grandstand on top of his Monday to Friday job as a journalist for ABC Canberra."

If you think he's not a journalist, you might have to take that argument up with his colleagues and probably Tim himself.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 4, 2018, 7:19 am

Why is he a journalist simply because he works in the media? Journalism and commentating on sports are two very different things.

Tim Gavel is a sports commentator. That's what he calls himself. He is paid to call and comment on sports events. Just like David Morrow, Jim Maxwell and a zillion other sports commentators for the ABC. They are not journalists.

He doesn't have to be a journalist just because everyone wants him to demand answers on behalf of the fans.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. I just want to congratulate him on an excellent career at the ABC. I thought he was a wonderful commentator over the years.
Jim Maxwell has been at times an absolutely scathing critic of both Cricket Australia and the NSWRU depending on what sport he's been commentating on.

Just because you're a match caller doesn't mean you have to come from the Pyongyang School of Broadcast Media (And Glory to the Regime!)
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: September 4, 2018, 7:51 am https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tireless-t ... 4zt92.html

"Now the Canberra sports commentator known as 'Tireless Tim' says he'll turn off his microphone for the first time since 1988 and finish his career as an ABC journalist."

"Gavel, for decades one of the most respected voices in Canberra sport as a commentator and journalist"

"But he is most recognisable for his coverage of sport and was nicknamed 'Tireless Tim' by fellow commentator Tim Lane because of his work ethic. Gavel, it's said, used to sleep in the studio when chasing stories"

"He has been a commentator at seven Olympics and seven Commonwealth Games for ABC Grandstand on top of his Monday to Friday job as a journalist for ABC Canberra."

If you think he's not a journalist, you might have to take that argument up with his colleagues and probably Tim himself.
That actually sounds like a change of direction for Tim now that his commentating gig is over. At no point does he call himself a journalist in that article, other than Dutton referring to Gavel's plans to finish his career as a journalist now he's not calling sport. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Up to now he certainly wouldn't be somebody I'd regard as a journalist, because he's not.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Two pages of ‘what is the definition of a journalist?’

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raiders Lim! wrote:Two pages of ‘what is the definition of a journalist?’

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Off season

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Thread of the year material.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m a huge fan of the journalist Ray Warren, but journalist Peter Peters leaves me confused.

What Nationality was journalist Les Murray?
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BJ wrote: September 6, 2018, 12:43 pm I’m a huge fan of the journalist Ray Warren, but journalist Peter Peters leaves me confused.

Les Murray of SBS soccer fame?

Hungarian
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Johno wrote:
BJ wrote: September 6, 2018, 12:43 pm I’m a huge fan of the journalist Ray Warren, but journalist Peter Peters leaves me confused.

Les Murray of SBS soccer fame?

Hungarian
Your answer means you have totally missed this piece of gold from around the last time Raiders won grand final.

Last edited by greeneyed on September 6, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is a requirement of the site to use the YouTube code.