Preparing for 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Preparing for 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

Basically we’re the best side to come from Canberra, Newcastle or Townsville.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The Raiders are shifting a home game to Wagga Wagga in 2019 and 2020

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Queue GE blow up
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:06 pmQueue GE blow up
Too right, particularly as there is no information for members about what it means for their memberships.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2018, 9:08 pm
-TW- wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:06 pmQueue GE blow up
Too right, particularly as there is no information for members about what it means for their memberships.
Let me help you out.
We're a trash bag unit, performing very poorly. No changes will be made to give you any hope of improved performance in 2019, and they'll increase the cost of membership ever so slightly despite you having 1 less game to attend

The rest of the time is yours.
You're welcome.

Regards,
**** of a club who doesnt give a **** about success or it's fans.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dusty wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:02 pm The Raiders are shifting a home game to Wagga Wagga in 2019 and 2020

How are we going to prepare for that ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:
Dusty wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:02 pm The Raiders are shifting a home game to Wagga Wagga in 2019 and 2020

How are we going to prepare for that ?
Instead of 1 trial game I think we’ll play half a trial game in Wagga to prepare for the ‘home’ game.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I am a bit curious - on the ABC on Sunday Don saying there were still a few slots on the 2019 roster open, and that players were coming across his desk every day, is it possible we've managed to keep a little bit of our powder dry for a late season signing?

I mean, clubs are starting to shop players late in the year and I honestly think if we can get a semi-serviceable half who can also defend we are in a better spot for next year than we were at the beginning of the season.

I really hope it's not just promotions from Mounties and scraps from the NSW and QLD Cups.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect that’s all that’s all that’s possible given what’s left in the cap.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

papabear wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2018, 7:38 am On a positive note, we were the most successful non Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane team.

Silver lining

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
so which part of sydney / melbourne or brisbane does the NZ warriors fit into?
They’re not from the same country, they don’t count.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Preparing for 2019

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:I suspect that’s all that’s all that’s possible given what’s left in the cap.
I agree, the only way to get a good signing is still to trade current players. If TPJ like player or a good half comes available every player on our roster should be reviewed and traded where necessary. However we don’t have this attitude, we are about the family and is why we are a bottom 8 club.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:44 am I am a bit curious - on the ABC on Sunday Don saying there were still a few slots on the 2019 roster open, and that players were coming across his desk every day, is it possible we've managed to keep a little bit of our powder dry for a late season signing?

I mean, clubs are starting to shop players late in the year and I honestly think if we can get a semi-serviceable half who can also defend we are in a better spot for next year than we were at the beginning of the season.

I really hope it's not just promotions from Mounties and scraps from the NSW and QLD Cups.
Penrith half Luai plays NSW Cup and I'd take him in a heart beat. He has a year to run on his contract with the Panthers but given what they did to their coach contracts don't mean much there.

We have lost Garvey, Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We have picked up the two Englishmen. I would like to see Seb Kris with a Raiders contract. That leaves one spot. For me we are a halves player short. I don't think Hingano is the answer. Go after Luai DFJ. Has more opportunity at the NRL in green.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’ve also lost Gubb.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:44 am I am a bit curious - on the ABC on Sunday Don saying there were still a few slots on the 2019 roster open, and that players were coming across his desk every day, is it possible we've managed to keep a little bit of our powder dry for a late season signing?

We've clearly still got a bit of room in the cap. Even the vague whiff of smoke around TPJ supports that.

The club isn't going to publicly advertise some sort of warchest to get player managers too excited. The last thing we need is players thinking there is a stack of cash available to further bump up their contracts.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Hmmm, true.

The TPJ stuff concerns me to be honest. If it's legitimate, I genuinely worry this is the club wanting to bring someone 'home' rather than look at what we need as a team. Sure, we've lost Paulo and Boyd, but the rotation of Papalli, Guler, Lui, Knight and Soliola is still good in the age of reduced interchange.

If we've got room for one more, I desperately want it to be a serviceable half to partner Sezer, or a competent fullback who can get up into the line so we can move Wighton into a running/defensive 5/8 role.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: August 30, 2018, 10:58 am Hmmm, true.

The TPJ stuff concerns me to be honest. If it's legitimate, I genuinely worry this is the club wanting to bring someone 'home' rather than look at what we need as a team. Sure, we've lost Paulo and Boyd, but the rotation of Papalli, Guler, Lui, Knight and Soliola is still good in the age of reduced interchange.

If we've got room for one more, I desperately want it to be a serviceable half to partner Sezer, or a competent fullback who can get up into the line so we can move Wighton into a running/defensive 5/8 role.
There is no reduced interchange next year. In the current comp that rotation is really not great, probably in the bottom two or three in the comp.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 30, 2018, 6:36 am We’ve also lost Gubb.
How could I have forgotten Gubby, GE? :D His on field performances were so memorable. But you are correct, it is another spot we have to fill.

I was interested listening to Barry Russell talking about the Sharks 2018 salary cap. He says that under his management they are $500K under the cap for this year. It sounds to me like he is paying fair value and not seeing if he can max out the cap as seems to be the process the Raiders undertake. DFJ even made a comment earlier this year to the effect "I can assure Raiders fans that we are spending the full cap". It is all about getting value for the spend not that the full cap is being spent. It almost sounded like players were being paid a percentage of the cap based on some past performance. That is a recipe for disaster and will mean players have to be shed once some positions are upgraded. Surely we don't do that Don .. ?? er Don ??
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: August 30, 2018, 11:37 am

There is no reduced interchange next year. In the current comp that rotation is really not great, probably in the bottom two or three in the comp.
I still disagree even with the current interchange numbers. Papalli will be our main prop which he's effectively been doing even with the #13 on his back, and he has another veteran in Soliola alongside him. Knight and Guler - especially Guler - are genuinely exciting prospects, and Lui is an honest toiler. Throw in Hunt as the emergency backup and it's not the worst
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: August 30, 2018, 11:37 am

I agree. We need another big body with a good motor and solid defence to be competitive against the other top 8 packs.

We won't be able to afford to buy him away from anyone but if he is genuinely motivated to be closer to family in Canberra, it would be a good signing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I'm very much doubting TPJ is an option, but our squad certainly needs another decent front rower to have sufficient depth in that position.

Unlike most, I'm not that worried about our halves. We have the best attack in the comp with a 5/8 who has played like a busted for the best part of two seasons and a fullback who is arguably the most maligned players in that position in the NRL. These blokes are capable of doing a job.

We won't have the cash to splurge on a big name halfback to partner Sezer. Williams can do a serviceable job with the attacking options around him. We just need a forward pack that works hard in defence and takes the pressure off our outside backs to make early set yardage.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I'm very much doubting TPJ is an option, but our squad certainly needs another decent front rower to have sufficient depth in that position.

Unlike most, I'm not that worried about our halves. We have the best attack in the comp with a 5/8 who has played like a busted for the best part of two seasons and a fullback who is arguably the most maligned players in that position in the NRL. These blokes are capable of doing a job.

We won't have the cash to splurge on a big name halfback to partner Sezer. Williams can do a serviceable job with the attacking options around him. We just need a forward pack that works hard in defence and takes the pressure off our outside backs to make early set yardage.
I agree with all of this. Except I’m still holding out hope for TPJ....

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dusty wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I'm very much doubting TPJ is an option, but our squad certainly needs another decent front rower to have sufficient depth in that position.

he approached us is the mail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: August 30, 2018, 5:28 pm
Dusty wrote:

he approached us is the mail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You'd think we'd be doing everything possible to make that deal happen. IMO he's the missing piece for a team like ours.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Even if there’s no money in the cap, you surely make space for a guy like TPJ, surely?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You'd think so. Or find a genuine TPA.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

what about halves that can manage a game......this why we are not playing finals :rant
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

exrefhollywood wrote:what about halves that can manage a game......this why we are not playing finals :rant
We are a good front rower and half short. TPJ would fill one part of this. Just a good half to go after that

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

If we could find a good fullback, allowing us to move Wighton to 5/8 (in a running/defending capacity, with the understanding that Hodgson and Sezer do
95% or the kicking) then that might be something I’d be interested in.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 30, 2018, 7:20 pm You'd think so. Or find a genuine TPA.
A genuine TPA for a genuine TPJ...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

exrefhollywood wrote: August 30, 2018, 8:04 pm what about halves that can manage a game......this why we are not playing finals :rant
I agree we need a game managing half. I disagree it’s the reason we’re not playing finals. Defense is the main reason we play our last game tonight.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight

This is the last lineup named for 2018, what are the Obvious changes and the opinions?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

obvious changes to the 17
OUTS - Austin, Boyd, Paulo
INS - Tapine, Wighton, Sezer, English Bateman, Croker
(I'm not 100% convinced Sutton walks into the 17 straight up)

I think full strength it'll look a bit like this

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Emre Guler
15. Sia Soliola
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Ryan Sutton
19. Liam Knight
20. Ata Hingano
21.Jack Murchie
Last edited by Sid on August 31, 2018, 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Crusader wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:39 am 1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight

This is the last lineup named for 2018, what are the Obvious changes and the opinions?
OUT - Boyd, Paulo, Austin
IN - JBateman, Sutton.

With Croker, Wighton Tapine and Hingano to return as well..
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Sid wrote: August 31, 2018, 11:01 am obvious changes to the 17

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Emre Guler
15. Sia Soliola
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Ryan Sutton
19. Liam Knight
20. Ata Hingano
21.Jack Murchie
Coach Ricky Stuart

I think the side looks better with Williams opposed to Abbey, though I think both are good first drop reserves, not starting first graders.
Last edited by Sid on August 31, 2018, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Sid wrote: August 31, 2018, 11:01 am obvious changes to the 17

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Emre Guler
15. Sia Soliola
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Ryan Sutton
19. Liam Knight
20. Ata Hingano
21.Jack Murchie
I don't think there is even the faintest chance of Ryan Sutton coming here to not be in the top 17. I don't think this is another Jordan Turner who was looking for a chance to prove himself in the NRL. This is a 23 year old we chased who's played over 100 first grade games and is an automatic pick for one of the Super League's biggest clubs.