Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Hazza »

Neeeegz wrote: August 29, 2018, 8:03 am Provided Abbey can bulk up a little in the off season he will be fine, Jack was also average for his first few seasons at fb don't forget, and while a decent player now, not a rep player and never will be, and not someone I want at our club after what he did. Cant wait until the court case is over, and hope he gets sacked...
Jack was sensational the 1st few games he had a fb, think his 1st game at fb was v the tigers at the back end of '14 and he had a blinder. Then Rick kept him there for '15 and he's been there since. Deadset the only decent thing Abbey has done in 6 games at fb is throw a nice cut out pass to put Rapa over v Easts. He's sus under the high ball, rarely gets tackled with the ball, is constantly out of position on plays. Might be a confidence thing and he might develop in to a solid 1st grader but at the moment I don't see it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Please note, you cannot post allegations which are unsubstantiated. Posts of that nature need to be backed by a link to a reputable news source. Warnings and bannings will follow for any repeated breach of the forum guidelines.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Righto GE, won't happen again.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hazza wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:38 am
Neeeegz wrote: August 29, 2018, 8:03 am Provided Abbey can bulk up a little in the off season he will be fine, Jack was also average for his first few seasons at fb don't forget, and while a decent player now, not a rep player and never will be, and not someone I want at our club after what he did. Cant wait until the court case is over, and hope he gets sacked...
Jack was sensational the 1st few games he had a fb, think his 1st game at fb was v the tigers at the back end of '14 and he had a blinder. Then Rick kept him there for '15 and he's been there since. Deadset the only decent thing Abbey has done in 6 games at fb is throw a nice cut out pass to put Rapa over v Easts. He's sus under the high ball, rarely gets tackled with the ball, is constantly out of position on plays. Might be a confidence thing and he might develop in to a solid 1st grader but at the moment I don't see it.
Same. I think Abbey has thrown more cutout balls over the sideline than to players.

If he plays 4 games a year- fine, that's what squad fillers do.

Should he ever be a contender for FG start with your full team? No. He's a backline Jarrad Kennedy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hazza wrote: August 29, 2018, 6:58 am
Neeeegz wrote: August 28, 2018, 8:27 pm Swap Jack's salary for tpj since he should be sacked after his case comes to light, id be happy with Abbey over a **** in the team any day
I'm really not sure what anyone sees in Abbey. He still looks out of his depth to me.
For some people, all it takes is for him to be not Jack Wighton.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

When's TPJ signing ?

Is it a done deal ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 30, 2018, 7:39 am When's TPJ signing ?

Is it a done deal ?
No. My understanding is there were meetings with TPJ... but now seems not.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Someone on Reddit /r/NRL photographed Tapau talking to the Eels recruitment manager. Another player who would be useful if we had some money to spend.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

barba signed cowboys
harawiranira signed bulldogs

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Heartbreaking
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dogs are picking up some ok players for a broke team.

I saw Matt Frawley, Asipeli Fine and Clay Priest are all not been renewed. Wouldn't suprise me if Sticky brings Priest back on peanuts.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Should grab Frawley while he's there

O'Hagan is still a while off, Westcott even more
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No to Frawley and Priest for mine.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As depth.. were not exactly flush with it
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Not keen on either priest or frawley. Would rather get Jr's with potential and hope we get lucky. I get why people are critical of Abbey but I put it down to confidence. I love his energy and if we persist with him it wouldn't surprise me to see him develop into a solid FGer.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

FROG wrote: August 30, 2018, 6:48 pm Not keen on either priest or frawley. Would rather get Jr's with potential and hope we get lucky. I get why people are critical of Abbey but I put it down to confidence. I love his energy and if we persist with him it wouldn't surprise me to see him develop into a solid FGer.
If he can put on an extra 5kg he'll be plenty good enough as first drop fullback.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s heartbreaking to see the position the Bulldogs were in with their cap to now signing good players to join them next year, whilst we are floundering with no money and lost 3 key position players. Just pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:Someone on Reddit /r/NRL photographed Tapau talking to the Eels recruitment manager. Another player who would be useful if we had some money to spend.
Brent Reed said last tonight it wasn’t the recruitment manager, but Parramattas well-being manager, who is friends with Tapau away from football
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

LastRaider wrote: August 30, 2018, 7:40 pm It’s heartbreaking to see the position the Bulldogs were in with their cap to now signing good players to join them next year, whilst we are floundering with no money and lost 3 key position players. Just pathetic

Agree mate. They are doing exactly what we should be doing. Take our medicine. Release overpaid players and use the freed up cash to buy players who are searching for an opportunity. Instead, we allow players to leave and use the proceeds freed to pay our existing overpaid players even more to stick around!! It's depressing.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think that their signings are any better than ours.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 30, 2018, 7:40 pm It’s heartbreaking to see the position the Bulldogs were in with their cap to now signing good players to join them next year, whilst we are floundering with no money and lost 3 key position players. Just pathetic

Agree mate. They are doing exactly what we should be doing. Take our medicine. Release overpaid players and use the freed up cash to buy players who are searching for an opportunity. Instead, we allow players to leave and use the proceeds freed to pay our existing overpaid players even more to stick around!! It's depressing.
Yep spot on! It’s ridiculous. By listening to Stuart in the last 2 pressers, you get the feeling even if we had the money he wouldn’t be bringing in any other players anyway. The feeling you get is he believes this is a premiership winning team and it’s just been bad luck, Hodgson and Wighton out for half a season respectfully and some unfortunate referring decisions. It’s very depressing

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

It's like missing the top 8 is seen as a successful season with a few close losses here and there.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: August 30, 2018, 5:27 pm barba signed cowboys
harawiranira signed bulldogs

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
CHN is a weird one. Why move from a club you just signed a big deal with, with lots of backrowers, to join another club that is backrower heavy? Jackson, Elliott, RFM, Martin???
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: August 30, 2018, 6:31 pm As depth.. were not exactly flush with it
Im with you. If u can get them on peanuts, why not?!?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Tapau looks likely to sign for the Roosters. They must be using the money from O'sullivan signing with Brisbane.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

edwahu wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:24 am Tapau looks likely to sign for the Roosters. They must be using the money from O'sullivan signing with Brisbane.
So they lose Ferguson and O'Sullivan and sign Crichton, Taupau, Hall and Morris seems legit. :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BigPapa wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:34 am
edwahu wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:24 am Tapau looks likely to sign for the Roosters. They must be using the money from O'sullivan signing with Brisbane.
So they lose Ferguson and O'Sullivan and sign Crichton, Taupau, Hall and Morris seems legit. :shock:
I was reading the other day how 50% of Australia's Ultra Rich live in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. How can you compete with that.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Spare cap space from when Craig Salvatori left to play for Souths.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

BigPapa wrote:
Don’t forget SBW coming back in July!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

thank goodness for the salary cap
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

edwahu wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:53 am
I was reading the other day how 50% of Australia's Ultra Rich live in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. How can you compete with that.
so league players would be paying an insanely high percentage of their salary for housing over there?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I still recall Fergo leaving Cronulla for the Raiders.

Something like " I want to play for a club with a chance of winning a premiership"

Since then we've won squat and Cronulla won premiership..peptides and cap issues helping !!!

Ha..good times Fergo.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote: August 31, 2018, 11:41 am I still recall Fergo leaving Cronulla for the Raiders.

Something like " I want to play for a club with a chance of winning a premiership"

Since then we've won squat and Cronulla won premiership..peptides and cap issues helping !!!

Ha..good times Fergo.
could well win a premiership this year..

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: August 31, 2018, 11:39 am
edwahu wrote: August 31, 2018, 10:53 am
so league players would be paying an insanely high percentage of their salary for housing over there?
Or they just live in one of the ultra riches 500 houses and apartments for nothing. Ultra rich means 30m+.

Sydney economy is 40x that of Canberra with 20x as many companies and something like 700x as many Ultra Rich people. Honestly unless the NRL brings in a sliding cap we will never compete on the player market with the Roosters.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Maybe the Roosters get cap exemption, because Sydney is such an expensive place to live. Same as how Melbourne got exemptions to encourage people to move there

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021