Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

EJ
David Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by EJ »

That was a fun game to be at though. At least until kick off.

We were way outnumbered but the boys definitely heard us when they came out for their warm up.

Dugan was practicing his goalkicking and was getting cheered like he was scoring tries. Mostly because he couldn't kick a goal to save his life the week before.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

That 2012 side was a really good team. They would've had a good run if they kept the squad together with Milford and Vaughan showing up the next season. If you base it on the list of names in the squad alone 2013 is probably our strongest since 2000.

Just a shame Furner couldn't manage the egos.
Last edited by edwahu on August 27, 2018, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blues87
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by Blues87 »

Should be throwing the bank at James Maloney. Would solve a lot of our issues.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Blues87 wrote:Should be throwing the bank at James Maloney. Would solve a lot of our issues.
Bloody oath. much prefer him to TPJ at this point

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: August 27, 2018, 5:09 pm
Blues87 wrote:Should be throwing the bank at James Maloney. Would solve a lot of our issues.

TPJ will be a superstar for 10 seasons, Maloney plays the right position but is 33 next year. There is a bit of an Orford risk about him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

EJ wrote:That was a fun game to be at though. At least until kick off.
Agree! I had a fantastic time, even though we got pummelled. The atmosphere in the Raiders bays was great. It was really weird to enjoy a match which ended our season. Perhaps having already exceeded expectations helped.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: August 27, 2018, 5:35 pm
dubby wrote: August 27, 2018, 5:09 pm

TPJ will be a superstar for 10 seasons, Maloney plays the right position but is 33 next year. There is a bit of an Orford risk about him.
Which sadly makes him perfect for the raiders....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Turbos and DCE are supposedly disgruntled.

What a time to have no cash :(
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ignore the fact none of the TPJ, DCE or the Turbos are coming here at market rate, ever now they're big deals

But yeah, this is why you shouldnt overpay anyone, and be happy to let people walk, it at least gives you a chance to over pay the Turbo boys, or TPJ, or the next Ponga.

The knights laid down the blueprint for a club like ours. You stink, and you stink and you stink until you luck into overpaying or developing a potential franchise changer. You give yourself the shot for the Ponga-Pearce double.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I wonder if TPJ is discovering his market rate is not quite what he thought it was.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pigman wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:10 pm
The knights laid down the blueprint for a club like ours. You stink, and you stink and you stink until you luck into overpaying or developing a potential franchise changer. You give yourself the shot for the Ponga-Pearce double.
I like the look of them with Ramien. Glasby might be a good balance for them in the forwards.

But Gee, you’d want some daylight next year wouldn’t you? I mean 3 years of absolute sludge for them to finish this year with the worst Points differential again.
Slowest rebuild in history better get them some results eventually...
I think I’d go mad if I was a supporter
:cry:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, it's still in the gamble category. If Pearce didn't go down they might have made the 8 or gone very close but still you would think lower end of the 8 is best case next year again.

They still have one big signing to come though imo and I'd rate their squad ahead of ours for next year.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Pigman wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:10 pm Ignore the fact none of the TPJ, DCE or the Turbos are coming here at market rate, ever now they're big deals

But yeah, this is why you shouldnt overpay anyone, and be happy to let people walk, it at least gives you a chance to over pay the Turbo boys, or TPJ, or the next Ponga.

It will be a cold day in hell if we ever sign Turbos, DCE or TPJ lol no chance in the world. Raiders have no money left for 2019 and beyond the clubs over paid players till 2020 when most are off contract. Isn’t it odd that the amount of players we have leaving in 2019 including the players we let go alreadin in 2018 and all the club can buy are 2 SL players. We can’t even buy another half.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Edrick Lee
3. Jesse Ramien
4. Tautau Moga
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Tim Glasby
9. Slade Griffin
10. Herman Ese'ese
11. Sione Mata'utia
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Aidan Guerra

14. Dany Levi
15. Mitch Barnett
16. Josh King
17. Daniel Saifiti

They're stronger out wide next year. A lot stronger. Defense should get better with Glasby and Griffin in the middle. They could sneak into the 8 but they're going to have to be lucky with injuries.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by roneel78 »

Surely Ken Sio gets first crack over Edrick Lee!
And the Ross dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matautia won't be starting in the pack I don't think. Still some head knock concerns.
Edrick will be 2nd winger picked.

Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

edwahu wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:27 pm Yeah, it's still in the gamble category. If Pearce didn't go down they might have made the 8 or gone very close but still you would think lower end of the 8 is best case next year again.

They still have one big signing to come though imo and I'd rate their squad ahead of ours for next year.
Aside from Ponga and Pearce, I don’t see that many guys in Zim’s list who’d clearly beat ours head to head.

To me, the comparison just boils down to our halves. Ponga or Pearce (or both) would be all we’d need.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Hopefully this TPJ horse has been flogged 2 death now he was never coming.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think the knights are any better than us, i think over the park we're much better.
The game is won in the 1-6-7-9

Hodgson beats the piss out of whoever they can throw up.
I think either Williams or Sezer are winners over Watson... Pearce and Ponga leave us for dead. So it's 2-2, and the rest of the squad i think we win... Unfortunately in a close game you'd bank on Pearce over any of our guys to close a game out.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Swap Jack's salary for tpj since he should be sacked after his case comes to light, id be happy with Abbey over a **** in the team any day
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sharks done for the cap. Maybe they will need to shed players as well.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: August 28, 2018, 5:05 pm
edwahu wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:27 pm Yeah, it's still in the gamble category. If Pearce didn't go down they might have made the 8 or gone very close but still you would think lower end of the 8 is best case next year again.

Aside from Ponga and Pearce, I don’t see that many guys in Zim’s list who’d clearly beat ours head to head.

To me, the comparison just boils down to our halves. Ponga or Pearce (or both) would be all we’d need.
Id take Ese Ese and/or one or both Safiti's over 2 or 3 of our benchies, but thats about it.

Fitz, Barnett or Guerra would be more than handy too, but we dont need backrowers.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 28, 2018, 7:57 pm I dont think the knights are any better than us, i think over the park we're much better.
The game is won in the 1-6-7-9

Hodgson beats the piss out of whoever they can throw up.
I think either Williams or Sezer are winners over Watson... Pearce and Ponga leave us for dead. So it's 2-2, and the rest of the squad i think we win... Unfortunately in a close game you'd bank on Pearce over any of our guys to close a game out.
Yep. Those 2 and genuine class. I suspect that if they both played all yr they make the 8 too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: August 28, 2018, 8:59 pm Sharks done for the cap. Maybe they will need to shed players as well.
Lewis retires.
Ramien and Eddy to Knights.
Isn't Feki off to ESL?
Val to Cows maybe. Though they are linked to Barba and Bird. Any/ all are on good money.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: August 28, 2018, 9:47 pm
edwahu wrote: August 28, 2018, 8:59 pm Sharks done for the cap. Maybe they will need to shed players as well.
Lewis retires.
Ramien and Eddy to Knights.
Isn't Feki off to ESL?
Val to Cows maybe. Though they are linked to Barba and Bird. Any/ all are on good money.
Doesn’t feel like the NRL will do anything about this. Paul Kent said the NRL is looking at 2015 and 2017 but they’ve cleared 2016. Explain to me how that can be right. It’s just the NRL avoiding having to strip another title.

Would love to land one of their bigs for cheap though.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2018, 5:37 pm Anyone left who still thinks letting Lachlan Lewis go was a good idea?
Gotta say I'm amazed at how well he's going. He was never dominant in the 20's and I watched most our games. He was released for a reason. Looks to have improved dramatically in the last year or so.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Ruben Daley wrote: August 26, 2018, 9:00 pm
-TW- wrote: August 26, 2018, 7:30 pm I remember Issac John looking like a world beater when he debuted
Me too. Also pretty sure Sam Williams won man of the match on debut in a 40-0 flogging of the Sharks.
Was actually 40-12. But yeah 40-0 sounds a lot better. Sammy had 3 or 4 try assists. We then went on to lose 8 in a row and run 2nd last.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Blues87 wrote: August 27, 2018, 5:07 pm Should be throwing the bank at James Maloney. Would solve a lot of our issues.
Perhaps. He certainly wouldn't solve any of our defensive issues though. Austin cops a lot of stick for his d. Rightly so. But Maloney's d is worse. Missed the most tackles in the comp, and by a long way. Obviously what he does in attack goes a fair way to making up for it.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Neeeegz wrote: August 28, 2018, 8:27 pm Swap Jack's salary for tpj since he should be sacked after his case comes to light, id be happy with Abbey over a **** in the team any day
I'm really not sure what anyone sees in Abbey. He still looks out of his depth to me.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Hazza wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: August 28, 2018, 8:27 pm Swap Jack's salary for tpj since he should be sacked after his case comes to light, id be happy with Abbey over a **** in the team any day
I'm really not sure what anyone sees in Abbey. He still looks out of his depth to me.
Yeah I am with you on that Hazza. He seems too small and gets dominated constantly. He goes down at the slightest touch and has dropped a lot of passes/bombs already.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Provided Abbey can bulk up a little in the off season he will be fine, Jack was also average for his first few seasons at fb don't forget, and while a decent player now, not a rep player and never will be, and not someone I want at our club after what he did. Cant wait until the court case is over, and hope he gets sacked...
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 29, 2018, 8:03 am Provided Abbey can bulk up a little in the off season he will be fine, Jack was also average for his first few seasons at fb don't forget, and while a decent player now, not a rep player and never will be, and not someone I want at our club after what he did. Cant wait until the court case is over, and hope he gets sacked...
You are dreaming if you think Jack will be sacked..
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: August 29, 2018, 8:03 am Provided Abbey can bulk up a little in the off season he will be fine, Jack was also average for his first few seasons at fb don't forget, and while a decent player now, not a rep player and never will be, and not someone I want at our club after what he did. Cant wait until the court case is over, and hope he gets sacked...
You are dreaming if you think Jack will be sacked..
Wighton will go when Stuart gets sacked. New coach won’t keep Wighton if he is on a high salary

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

At least Carney only pissed in his own mouth...
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 29, 2018, 8:36 am At least Carney only pissed in his own mouth...
Amongst other things..