Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Friday 31 August 6:00pm 8:00pm local
Mt Smart Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders have now beaten a top eight team, a minor premiership contender, two weeks in a row. But sadly, it is all too late. The Raiders are on the "road" for their final match of the year, travelling to Auckland for a meeting with the New Zealand Warriors. Who should line up for the Raiders in the upcoming clash? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight
20. Makahesi Makatoa
21. Aidan Sezer

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2. David Fusitu'a
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Mason Lino
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Agnatius Paasi
11. Adam Blair
12. Tohu Harris
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jazz Tevaga
15. Isaiah Papali'i
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Gerard Beale

18. Leivaha Pulu
20. Anthony Gelling
21. Chris Satae
22. Karl Lawton

Officials:

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Dave Munro, Tim Roby
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Luke Patten

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLWarriorsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by -PJ- »

Same team that beat the Tigers..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Same team that beat the Tigers..
Yup I'll have one of these. But not the one that lost to the Tigers. They're hopeless
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think I am right in saying that the team that beat the Tigers was the only one that contained both Wighton and Hodgson this year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: August 26, 2018, 7:40 am I think I am right in saying that the team that beat the Tigers was the only one that contained both Wighton and Hodgson this year.
Correct.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fans get a glimmer of hope

A staggering 15,990 fans turned out to see a Raiders outfit that had no chance of making the NRL finals topple the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday. It brings Canberra's average crowd for the 2018 season to 11,862 - a drop of more than 2000 on last year, which was the club's best return in 24 years. While the club's average crowd numbers were down on the 14,097 achieved in 2017 and the 12,183 notched up during their run to the preliminary final in 2016, the Raiders shattered their 20,000 membership barrier this season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zzud.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Austin leaving the Canberra Raiders in good hands

His last game in Canberra will serve as a reminder of the dizzying heights he is capable of reaching but Blake Austin is confident he is leaving the Raiders in good hands.

"The thing that has been most evident in the last couple of weeks in what have probably been our two better performances is ball control," Austin said. "As a half in any team, if you’re turning over too much ball then you’re presented with less opportunities and that creates panic, and makes you make decisions you mightn’t take otherwise.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zztu.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

After the Knights loss were locked into 10th place

Unless we lose by 160 or they win by 160
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Junior Paulo farewells Canberra Raiders with a bang

Moments after belting out Canberra's team song for the final time at GIO Stadium, Junior Paulo pondered what might have been for the Raiders in 2018.

"We first came down here to a place we're unfamiliar with, a place where I'd never played footy with any of the blokes in the side and what they've done for me from day one has been exceptional, and I can't thank the group for what they've done for me," Paulo said. "Especially those who've taken in my family as their own, so that's one thing I can't thank the boys enough for."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/26/jun ... rs-career/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2018, 5:26 pm Blake Austin leaving the Canberra Raiders in good hands

His last game in Canberra will serve as a reminder of the dizzying heights he is capable of reaching but Blake Austin is confident he is leaving the Raiders in good hands.

"The thing that has been most evident in the last couple of weeks in what have probably been our two better performances is ball control," Austin said. "As a half in any team, if you’re turning over too much ball then you’re presented with less opportunities and that creates panic, and makes you make decisions you mightn’t take otherwise.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zztu.html
He hasn't be great for a few years and in a way I'm okay with him leaving but it leaves a gap in our halves. Austin can be a ball hog but Williams and Sezer don't take on the line enough. Hopefully Sezer can rediscover his running game next year. Or Hingano, if he can regain some confidence that the coach absolutely crushed out of him.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2018, 5:24 pm Canberra Raiders fans get a glimmer of hope

A staggering 15,990 fans turned out to see a Raiders outfit that had no chance of making the NRL finals topple the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday. It brings Canberra's average crowd for the 2018 season to 11,862 - a drop of more than 2000 on last year, which was the club's best return in 24 years. While the club's average crowd numbers were down on the 14,097 achieved in 2017 and the 12,183 notched up during their run to the preliminary final in 2016, the Raiders shattered their 20,000 membership barrier this season.

I didn't see anyone staggering going into or out of the ground. :arrow:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Junior Paulo hails rising Canberra Raiders forward Emre Guler

The Canberra Raiders have to replace 251 kilograms worth of front-rowers next year but outgoing prop Junior Paulo says blooding a star on the rise like Emre Guler creates plenty of room for optimism.

"With where we are sitting on the ladder, obviously we couldn’t make the finals but it was more so a building stage for the young fellas that are coming through. We’ve had some good debutants this year, Jack Murchie got a chance, and especially Emre Guler, who has really established himself within the group. We know where he stands in the group and it’s definitely something to build towards for next year for the playing group."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zztw.html
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I would love to see Knight and Murchie play this week, but I guess we can't really make changes after the last two games.

Stick seems really big on the whole 'give them a sendoff' thing too.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Timbo wrote:I would love to see Knight and Murchie play this week, but I guess we can't really make changes after the last two games.

Would you rather:
A) Beat the Roosters and Souths as we did.

B) lose both those games but give Murchie and Knight game time against the benchmark of the competition.

Now of course it is all hypothetical if they play we may still win but I would have much rathered those boys along with Guler add to their NRL experience.

For the record I’m not having a dig at Stuart just interested to know what side of the coin most people sit.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Knight or Murchie were likely to be playing much more first grade next year I would want them to get a run, but I just don't see it. Murchie is about 6 down the line for second row spots and Knight about 7 or 8 for middles, plus Ricky doesn't seem to rate him.

So giving them experience doesn't seem that important unless I read Ricky's plans wrong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Junior Paulo prepares for Canberra Raiders farewell

He is emotional now but Junior Paulo laughs his bottom lip won't be so shaky next year after Josh Papalii told him "it’s going to be pretty weird when I’m trying to take your head off".

"That’s the part that’s sinking in at the moment," Paulo said. "We’re definitely enjoying our time together as a group but come next year, it’s going to be pretty awkward. Papa touched on it this week, he told me ‘it’s going to be pretty weird next year when I’m trying to take your head off’.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zztv.html
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

RTW wrote: August 27, 2018, 4:25 pm
Timbo wrote:I would love to see Knight and Murchie play this week, but I guess we can't really make changes after the last two games.

Would you rather:

B) lose both those games but give Murchie and Knight game time against the benchmark of the competition.

Now of course it is all hypothetical if they play we may still win but I would have much rathered those boys along with Guler add to their NRL experience.

For the record I’m not having a dig at Stuart just interested to know what side of the coin most people sit.
No, I agree - option B.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2018, 6:40 pm Junior Paulo prepares for Canberra Raiders farewell

He is emotional now but Junior Paulo laughs his bottom lip won't be so shaky next year after Josh Papalii told him "it’s going to be pretty weird when I’m trying to take your head off".

"That’s the part that’s sinking in at the moment," Paulo said. "We’re definitely enjoying our time together as a group but come next year, it’s going to be pretty awkward. Papa touched on it this week, he told me ‘it’s going to be pretty weird next year when I’m trying to take your head off’.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zztv.html
Empty the tank Jnr...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Would you rather:

Depends on where Murchie and Knight are considered to be. I don't see any point in throwing them in underdone just to get 'NRL experience'. But if they are considered to already be at the fringes of NRL level then I'd prefer they play.

From what I've seen of Knight I'd rather he had played ahead of Boyd or Paulo.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Based on what we've seen this year Murchie, Knight and Guler should have played a lot more FG than Boyd, Junior and Batemen
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote: August 27, 2018, 1:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2018, 5:24 pm Canberra Raiders fans get a glimmer of hope

I didn't see anyone staggering going into or out of the ground. :arrow:
I dunno Red. A rather large souths fan rolled onto the bus - I thought she was going to die TBH the way she was huffing and puffing. I had instant amnesia - as far as performing CPR goes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Warriors

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Friday 31 August 6:00pm 8:00pm local
Mt Smart Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart has named the Raiders side for Friday's Round 25 clash against the Warriors in Auckland.

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight
20. Makahesi Makatoa
21. Aidan Sezer

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2. David Fusitu'a
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Mason Lino
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Agnatius Paasi
11. Adam Blair
12. Tohu Harris
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jazz Tevaga
15. Isaiah Papali'i
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Gerard Beale

18. Leivaha Pulu
20. Anthony Gelling
21. Chris Satae
22. Karl Lawton

Officials:

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Dave Munro, Tim Roby
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Luke Patten

Video: Josh Papalii ready for reved up Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -warriors/

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLWarriorsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2018 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Northern Raider »

Would rather Murchie on the bench instead of Bateman. If Sezer is fit then he comes into the halves and Austin replaces Bateman on the bench.
Last edited by Northern Raider on August 28, 2018, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders adamant they've found the 'hunger'

The best attacking team in the NRL is set to miss the finals for the first time in history and Josh Papalii concedes it's all because "we didn't learn from last year".

"I’m honestly pretty disappointed, with the roster we have and not playing finals footy, it’s definitely disappointing," Papalii said. "I’ve always known we can score a lot of points, it’s just keeping the points out that we’re having trouble with, and that’s why we’re not in the finals.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5006v.html
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 28, 2018, 5:10 pm Would rather Murchie on the bench instead of Bateman. If Sezer is fit then he comes into the halves and Austin replaces Bateman on the bench.
Isn't Murchie more of an edge 2nd rower?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders adamant they've found the 'hunger'

The best attacking team in the NRL is set to miss the finals for the first time in history and Josh Papalii concedes it's all because "we didn't learn from last year".

"I’m honestly pretty disappointed, with the roster we have and not playing finals footy, it’s definitely disappointing," Papalii said. "I’ve always known we can score a lot of points, it’s just keeping the points out that we’re having trouble with, and that’s why we’re not in the finals.

Thanks Dubby
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 28, 2018, 5:20 pm Canberra Raiders adamant they've found the 'hunger'

So if Papa can get it, why can't the coach??

Interesting that with one less bye this year and one round still to play, that the Top 8 is decided and a minimum of 30 competition points required. I am struggling to remember a year with only a single bye where 30 points was required to make the 8.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given the shift to just one bye, it’s better to think of wins required to make the eight (or winning percentage).

In the NRL era there have always been 24 games played each season.

Already the worst performed top eight team has 14 wins, with one round to go. That has never previously been the case in the NRL era. It’s because the competition is abnormally even amongst the top eight this year.

Usually the cut off is 12 in the NRL era (half your games), though that might not have guaranteed a top eight spot. 13 would normally guarantee a top eight spot.

The Titans made it with 11 wins in 2016, with the Eels penalised competition points. The Raiders made it in 2002 with 10 and a draw, the Dragons nine and three draws, when the Bulldogs were penalised all competition points. The Raiders made it with 11 wins in 2004. The Broncos made it with 11 in 2007.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders braced for emotional road trip

Canberra centre Michael Oldfield said the side will try and keep a lid on emotions this week as they prepare to farewell three of their stars in Auckland on Friday.

"I think it's starting to hit home, today's going to be our last field session together in Canberra, so I don't know if they're thinking about it now, but I already am," Oldfield said. "It's very sad and we've got the whole weekend to shed a few tears together, so I'm looking forward to it."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/28/tri ... road-trip/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 2:40 am Given the shift to just one bye, it’s better to think of wins required to make the eight (or winning percentage).

In the NRL era there have always been 24 games played each season.

Already the worst performed top eight team has 14 wins, with one round to go. That has never previously been the case in the NRL era. It’s because the competition is abnormally even amongst the top eight this year.

Usually the cut off is 12 in the NRL era (half your games), though that might not have guaranteed a top eight spot. 13 would normally guarantee a top eight spot.

The Titans made it with 11 wins in 2016, with the Eels penalised competition points. The Raiders made it in 2002 with 10 and a draw, the Dragons nine and three draws, when the Bulldogs were penalised all competition points. The Raiders made it with 11 wins in 2004. The Broncos made it with 11 in 2007.
Well the Broncos have probably had 10 or 11 legitimate wins this year despite what the NRL table indicates.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Would you rather:

Definitely A. From the start I haven't gone along with this 'stuff winning, let's just blood some young blokes for next year' thing. Surely Rick's job is to pick what he thinks is the best 17 for to win a game. And I stress what he thinks is the best 17. Doesn't mean we can't disagree on what the best 17 is. But you don't just pick blokes for the sake of it. Murchie is a back rower and has blokes in front of him. Simple as that. Worry about next year next year. I do think Knight should've played a lot more though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: August 28, 2018, 7:42 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 28, 2018, 5:10 pm Would rather Murchie on the bench instead of Bateman. If Sezer is fit then he comes into the halves and Austin replaces Bateman on the bench.
Isn't Murchie more of an edge 2nd rower?
Yes. Right now we have 4 middle forward on the bench. Both our starting edge forwards are both comfortable playing middle third as well. Guler and Paulo are part of our prop rotation. Havili can give Paps a spell while providing cover for Hodgo at hooker. Bateman is superfluous to needs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders can match New Zealand Warriors' physicality: Josh Hodgson

Josh Hodgson knows Canberra are walking into the lion's den as they travel to face a New Zealand Warriors side hosting arguably one of its most important games in club history on Friday night.

"They've got everything to play for as well as Simon Mannering's 300th, it's going to be a massive occasion and a great atmosphere," the Raiders skipper said. "We know they're going to come out all guns blazing, and we know it's going to be a physical affair as it always is with the Warriors."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/29/can ... h-hodgson/

Video: Paulo not letting emotions get in the way of task ahead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... ask-ahead/

Video: Oldfield: We're playing for each other: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... ach-other/

Mt Smart Stadium sold out for clash with Canberra Raiders: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... aming.html

Warriors have momentum to roll through finals: Blair: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/29/ada ... gh-finals/