Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous »

Grün Maschine wrote:Can you really credit crawley for our attack?

the majority of it is individual brilliance

When it comes down to structured attack close to the line they look pretty clueless at times
Agree with this. Everyone seems very certain that Crawley is a great assistant, but I’m not sure what that’s based on. Seems like it might be based on the amount of times it gets repeated.

He certainly did nothing to fix our defence this year...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I have heard a 2m 30sec audio of Ricky giving the players an absolute spray.
A mate let me listen to it last night at work.
It's full on..I'm not kidding.

I'm not sure when this took place..maybe after the Panthers loss, maybe the Tigers loss.

Has anybody else heard this ?

Like I said its full on. It was so bad there were stages I thought and wasn't even Ricky...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Its not Stick. Pretty sure its AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Does anybody know Dave Furner's win % as an assistant? Neil Henry's most successful stint was when Dave was under him. Cowboys won the premiership when he was there. Now at Souths who are one of the title favourites this year. His record must be pretty good.

Quite simply some people can be excellent assistant coaches but garbage head coaches.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

roneel78 wrote: August 22, 2018, 8:18 am Its not Stick. Pretty sure its AFL

Correct on both counts. Dead give away is the mention of 22 players. Did sound like him briefly, but not by the end. Old AFL coach recording.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 22, 2018, 6:17 am

When it comes down to structured attack close to the line they look pretty clueless at times
Agree with this. Everyone seems very certain that Crawley is a great assistant, but I’m not sure what that’s based on. Seems like it might be based on the amount of times it gets repeated.
It’s based on history and results. Even when he’s coached busted teams like ours and the knights, their attacking records under him were always very strong

Could that be a coincidence? Maybe but what else can you judge a man on other than the results?
When he came here people like me said our attack would improve dramatically and it did.

As for his work defensively... take that up with Coach ****, who for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, moved a high accomplished and successful offensive assistant to defence so he could shoe horn Brett **** White into a job
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah I know..

But it was entertaining.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

-PJ- wrote:

Yeah I know..

But it was entertaining.
I had to listen to it a couple of times before I clicked as well.

Made me laugh.

I was actually happy when I thought it was stick

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Probably not even old, could have easily been one of the twins or Nathan Buckley
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Pigman wrote: August 22, 2018, 10:01 am
gangrenous wrote: August 22, 2018, 6:17 am

It’s based on history and results. Even when he’s coached busted teams like ours and the knights, their attacking records under him were always very strong

Could that be a coincidence? Maybe but what else can you judge a man on other than the results?
When he came here people like me said our attack would improve dramatically and it did.

As for his work defensively... take that up with Coach ****, who for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, moved a high accomplished and successful offensive assistant to defence so he could shoe horn Brett **** White into a job
Tough thing to talk about. In patches the raiders defend a lot better this year in that they can slow it down much much better. I think part of that is the wrestling coach the raiders have now.

Still the raiders leak a lot of points. In games i've seen Austin is often the sole cause of around 2 tries a game. Maybe you can blame Crawley for that or maybe you can blame Austin or maybe you blame sticky for picking the guy every week. The last month or so the raiders have had a prop playing in the centres, austin playing in the centres, oldfield in the centres.
They've also had the young fullback playing on the wing. He's a good kid but he's small and you couldn't call him a strong defender. I would say the raiders over the past month have had a lot of holes just in their roster that isnt really Mick Crawley's fault. Still they arent one of the better defensive teams in the stats.

In his attack, well under him they scored the most points a raiders team has ever scored in a season. Last week we scored one try. I have a feeling that he'd be doing better without Ricky
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders are a bottom four team in defence. That's why they're not playing finals. Sadly, some of the dynamic attacking players are the reason the team is bottom four in defence. It needs change in the playing squad to address it. If the Raiders don't get a real shot at the premiership in 2019... something has to change at the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2018, 9:13 pm The Raiders are a bottom four team in defence. That's why they're not playing finals. Sadly, some of the dynamic attacking players are the reason the team is bottom four in defence. It needs change in the playing squad to address it. If the Raiders don't get a real shot at the premiership in 2019... something has to change at the club.
Why 2019? Why not now?
Aside from the fact it'll never happen of course
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We know it isn't happening and the coach is contracted to 2020. So what needs to happen is getting the assistant coaching resources in, in 2019, who can help make the difference. And hopefully, there's still an option of getting some key players in... despite the public pronouncements there's no money left.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Sack Ricky

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:We know it isn't happening and the coach is contracted to 2020. So what needs to happen is getting the assistant coaching resources in, in 2019, who can help make the difference. And hopefully, there's still an option of getting some key players in... despite the public pronouncements there's no money left.
I don’t think a great assistant can help us enough at this stage. We have no halves for next year at this stage and Hodgson isn’t enough on his own to make up for this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on August 22, 2018, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's hard not to agree. The Raiders need a top line playmaker to join Hodgson in the spine. The options for halves and fullback... we're short one top player if the Raiders are to challenge for a premiership. I don't think that'll be happening for 2019... I desperately hope I'm wrong. I'm wrong enough to give myself hope!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:It's hard not to agree. The Raiders need a top line playmaker to join Hodgson in the spine. The options for halves and fullback... we're short one top player if the Raiders are to challenge for a premiership. I don't think that'll be happening for 2019... I desperately hope I'm wrong. I'm wrong enough to give myself hope!
I hope we are too.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We won't have the depth again next year, similar to 17.

We potentially would have had a good shot with Hodgson for the first 14 rounds. But it's all hypothetical
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2018, 9:39 pm
greeneyed wrote:We know it isn't happening and the coach is contracted to 2020. So what needs to happen is getting the assistant coaching resources in, in 2019, who can help make the difference. And hopefully, there's still an option of getting some key players in... despite the public pronouncements there's no money left.
I don’t think a great assistant can help us enough at this stage. We have no halves for next year at this stage and Hodgson isn’t enough on his own to make up for this.

While we should always be looking to improve every position, I don't really believe a half back will improve our defensive issues. GE said it in a prior post. Some of our best attacking players are also our worst defenders. Austin is going so that removes one regular defensive culprit. Paulo is going so that removes another. Over weight, unfit and poor lateral mover. Both are vulnerable to anyone with footwork.

If the new Assistant Coach can have BJ focus on the opposition player who has the ball, rather than slide out robotically to cover those who don't have the ball, then I think we will have a good chance of greatly improving our defence and giving ourselves an opportunity at the 8.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: August 23, 2018, 6:19 am
LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2018, 9:39 pm

While we should always be looking to improve every position, I don't really believe a half back will improve our defensive issues. GE said it in a prior post. Some of our best attacking players are also our worst defenders. Austin is going so that removes one regular defensive culprit. Paulo is going so that removes another. Over weight, unfit and poor lateral mover. Both are vulnerable to anyone with footwork.

If the new Assistant Coach can have BJ focus on the opposition player who has the ball, rather than slide out robotically to cover those who don't have the ball, then I think we will have a good chance of greatly improving our defence and giving ourselves an opportunity at the 8.
Joey also won't have Austin either one or two in from him, preempting the rubbish decisions.

And I think you could probably have substituted "Boyd" for "Paulo" and it'd still be right. Next year, the only real liability should be Sam Williams and properly assisted he could be hidden or covered for. Jeez at least I hope so...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lui_Bon, I don't think its the player to Joey's left which causes him to run out of position nearly every match. He simply watches his opposite number and even when they don't have the ball, if they run towards the side line so does BJ leaving a huge hole in the defensive line to his left. He provides an open invitation and the better sides play him for all they are worth. The Chooks did it last week with Cordner scoring. The week before his 10 in the bin set the Tigers up for the win when they scored 16 points when he was off the field. In the first half against the Panthers he was penalised for stealing the ball. In the next set the Panthers score as BJ again stays out on his man and Peachey goes through for the try. He is brilliant with the ball, but that is only half the game and he needs defensive coaching.

Every side has its defensive weaknesses among the 17. Our problem has been the number of weaknesses in the one squad and the fact that they are not held accountable because those that select the side, imo, put more store in a flashy attacking play than they do on 80 minute defensive effort. It leads the team to the position where we are easily a Top 4 attacking side but we don't make the finals because we have too many defensive weaknesses in the squad. Sticky was an attacking half back and a great one. It's what he knows and is why he needs an assistant who will stand up to him and get some focus on our biggest weakness - defence.

Sticky has a contract so he is not going anywhere. In all honesty given his coaching outcomes, one finals appearance in 5 seasons with us, who else wants a coach with that track record? No one doubts his passion or commitment to the Raiders. But the game is about outcomes.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'll defend my Namesake. BJ is not that bad of a defender. In terms of Centres he is definately above the average. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from Leilua or Rapana. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from our Centres, or Wingers.

Our deficiencies come from our immobile Middle who do not push out to help our edges. Austin and Williams are poor one on one defenders, and particular with Austin, just make poor decisions on decoy's. This often leaves our centres with extremely difficult defensive decisions to make - like having to stop a 3 on 2, or a 4 on 2.
When the inside men make a poor decision, or don't work hard enough, it's the Centres and Wingers that get left looking silly. But it's almost always not their fault.

Secondly, when have you seen BJ get left clutching thin air when an opposing Centre has beaten him? LIke we've seen with Croker...
The defensive display BJ and Rapana put on Latrell Mitchell on the weekend was brilliant. Not only kept him quiet but intimidated him all game. The only effective run he had all game was across the field away from them.

For the last 3 years we've had Front rowers not even cracking 100m, and that is because we get tremendous go forward out of BJ and Rapana/Cotric.
I'm glad we will be rid of the Middles who can't even consistently make 100m, yet continue to also be lazy inside defenders who put pressure on our edges.

BJ is one of the best Centres in the comp, i don't care what anyone says.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah, I do think BJ makes bad decisions sometimes,
though quite often it seems to be the half make a decision to go inside and Leilua stays on the centre..
though in that case that means there's already an overlap of 1 by that time which comes down to the middle not pushing out

Overall I'm a fan of Leilua

I think Canberra Raiders worst defending was circa 2013-2014 when there would consistently be a 2-3 man overlap on the edges... that was a joke.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beej is a pretty inconsistent defender, but there is no question he is constantly placed in terrible positions thanks to his inside man.
Beej doesnt need help to make a bad defensive decision, he can do that plenty on his own, but when he correctly reads the play, see's the back rower in position to take the block runner, and a try is scored because his inside man inexplicably sticks with the block runner instead of sliding off to the fullback, or worse lurching up and finding himself in between both, and in no mans land... that's not on BJ. That's on the inside man.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pigman wrote: August 24, 2018, 10:05 am Beej is a pretty inconsistent defender, but there is no question he is constantly placed in terrible positions thanks to his inside man.
Beej doesnt need help to make a bad defensive decision, he can do that plenty on his own, but when he correctly reads the play, see's the back rower in position to take the block runner, and a try is scored because his inside man inexplicably sticks with the block runner instead of sliding off to the fullback, or worse lurching up and finding himself in between both, and in no mans land... that's not on BJ. That's on the inside man.
Really frustrating to see Austin do that so often. It was like he'd made a decision and that was that. No room for an adjustment. That's been the main difference to his entire game. In 2015 he aggressively went after everything he could rather than thinking his job was done after 1 effort.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ's defensive decision making is well below par. Poor work on the inside forces BJ to make more decisions than you would like. The bad ones become obvious when a try is scored.

In short we can get by with BJ's defensive flaws with a better overall set up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ has awful try and line break cause stats, and that stat usually passes the eye test. Plus generally BJ and making good decisions just doesn't compute.

Still I think lots of our edge defensive issues start with our glacial slow inside men plodding out of marker, and this should improve next year with two of the worst gone. Bateman is very mobile and Guler also looked pretty good in that regard.

I do suspect BJ will come under even more pressure though as the huge target that is Austin will need to be redirected somewhere and he and Williams are the two most likely to be targeted.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I agree with NR. You don't want centres having to make decisions, but in order for that to work you need to have inside men that communicate well and are decisive in the line.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Defence :clap: defence :clap: defence :clap: defence :clap:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2018, 9:47 pm It's hard not to agree. The Raiders need a top line playmaker to join Hodgson in the spine. The options for halves and fullback... we're short one top player if the Raiders are to challenge for a premiership. I don't think that'll be happening for 2019... I desperately hope I'm wrong. I'm wrong enough to give myself hope!
We were 2 points off a grand final berth with a Hodgson-Sezer-Austin-Spine in a season where Austin mostly played like ****.

It our defence and our attitude that needs adjusting - not a big name playmaker.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hi Red, I don't disagree much with what you say, though I think Beejay et al make some fair points... no team containing "Joey" wants "decision-making" in the same sentence. My only defensive remark would be that while the Tigers put a lot of points on us while Joey was in the sin bin, he'd have been equally crucified if he let whatsisname run straight past him to score - in this case his alleged decision making was spot on. Too bad his teammmates then let in all those points while a man down, but that was a risk/reward decision he got right (albeit probably not consciously).

Obviously we'd be happier though if it looked like a defensive line was drilled to do the right thing and optimise their chances of success (ie not run out of the line) regardless of whether there were 12 or 13 on the field.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Beejay wrote: August 24, 2018, 9:40 am I'll defend my Namesake. BJ is not that bad of a defender. In terms of Centres he is definately above the average. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from Leilua or Rapana. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from our Centres, or Wingers.

Our deficiencies come from our immobile Middle who do not push out to help our edges. Austin and Williams are poor one on one defenders, and particular with Austin, just make poor decisions on decoy's. This often leaves our centres with extremely difficult defensive decisions to make - like having to stop a 3 on 2, or a 4 on 2.
When the inside men make a poor decision, or don't work hard enough, it's the Centres and Wingers that get left looking silly. But it's almost always not their fault.

Secondly, when have you seen BJ get left clutching thin air when an opposing Centre has beaten him? LIke we've seen with Croker...
The defensive display BJ and Rapana put on Latrell Mitchell on the weekend was brilliant. Not only kept him quiet but intimidated him all game. The only effective run he had all game was across the field away from them.

For the last 3 years we've had Front rowers not even cracking 100m, and that is because we get tremendous go forward out of BJ and Rapana/Cotric.
I'm glad we will be rid of the Middles who can't even consistently make 100m, yet continue to also be lazy inside defenders who put pressure on our edges.

With the ball I agree with you Beejay - BJ is one of the best in the comp. Without the ball..... If you can look at the replay of the Cordner try you will see what I am talking about. He does it regularly. This week he will be up against Inglis. I hope I am wrong, but I can see Inglis running an angled line towards the sideline (without the ball), BJ will follow him out and Johnson will get the ball in the gap BJ has left. I know we all look for different things in players during the match. But this is a BJ trait that opposition coaches can and do capitalise on.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Lui_Bon wrote:Hi Red, I don't disagree much with what you say, though I think Beejay et al make some fair points... no team containing "Joey" wants "decision-making" in the same sentence. My only defensive remark would be that while the Tigers put a lot of points on us while Joey was in the sin bin, he'd have been equally crucified if he let whatsisname run straight past him to score - in this case his alleged decision making was spot on. Too bad his teammmates then let in all those points while a man down, but that was a risk/reward decision he got right (albeit probably not consciously).

Obviously we'd be happier though if it looked like a defensive line was drilled to do the right thing and optimise their chances of success (ie not run out of the line) regardless of whether there were 12 or 13 on the field.

The problem with the sin bin was not that he tackled him it was that he was not aware of the situation. All year players have been taking quick taps, not necessarily to play quickly but to run at a bloke who is offside and get him sent to the bin.

We were in good ball, as soon as the penalty was blown BJ needed to get himself back ready to defend the error/penalty. It was lazy by him and smart play by whoever it was that ran at him.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

RedRaider wrote: August 25, 2018, 12:59 am
Beejay wrote: August 24, 2018, 9:40 am I'll defend my Namesake. BJ is not that bad of a defender. In terms of Centres he is definately above the average. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from Leilua or Rapana. Our defensive deficiencies do not come from our Centres, or Wingers.

With the ball I agree with you Beejay - BJ is one of the best in the comp. Without the ball..... If you can look at the replay of the Cordner try you will see what I am talking about. He does it regularly. This week he will be up against Inglis. I hope I am wrong, but I can see Inglis running an angled line towards the sideline (without the ball), BJ will follow him out and Johnson will get the ball in the gap BJ has left. I know we all look for different things in players during the match. But this is a BJ trait that opposition coaches can and do capitalise on.
I know the try you’re talking about. Most defensive coaches have a different structure to what you are expecting of BJ.
The inside men from the ruck are meant to clear earlier and push harder out to the edge, so the second rower and Sam Williams can move off to their numbers.
BJ could see them coming and slid off, but Sam baulked when he didn’t need to. Whoever the second rower was, and Sam, ended up on the same decoy player.

As an aside, the best teams have their middles working so hard that in the above egsample it wouldn’t be Sam on Cordner. The object would be to get the middles so wide that the second rower is helping the half defend.
Watch Adam Blair, this is the reason Kearney wanted him so bad. He is a middle forward who covers a heap of ground and it improves the Warriors edge defence massively.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks to me like BJ has been explicitly told to stay on his man - so that's what he does. Either that or it looks like the rift between him and Austin still remains. They certainly don't communicate or help each other out at all.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We can't sack Ricky today.