John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by FROG »

If nothing else, it speaks volumes of the opinion that Wigan have of him. Let's hope he is one of the very few that is able to make the transition.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

MrPosh wrote: August 11, 2018, 12:07 am Look, as an Englishman, I'm not blind to the relative strengths of the NRL and ESL (the gap between the top clubs is actually quite small - the gap between the middle and lower clubs is huge), but irrespective of that, Wigan is one of the true giants of the game - and the fans' expectations are massive.

Their fans are extremely disgruntled at the moment and managing the loss of the clubs best player is a big deal - hence this agreement (read up on Iysten Harris if you want the legal precedent and why Wigan has done this).

For what it's worth, I'd expect him to return because of his young daughter, as opposed to a contract, but I wouldn't pay much attention to the deal.

What Canberra has got is just what's needed - mobile and ferocious defence through the middle, decent go forward with a nice offload and, despite his size, a bit of an enforcer. He is as hard as nails.

I've watched him, Whitehead and all the Burgess boys come through at Bradford and he and Sam are the best two we've had - certainly in the last 20 years.

Oh, and don't touch Williams. He's decent enough, but not great and not what Canberra needs.
Thanks for the insight MrP.

FWIW I've been turned off our club big time this season. I'm really looking forward to having one or two new players next year who will absolutely rip into the opposition and give it all they have got. I hope Bateman brings this attitude to our team, because it is sadly lacking this season.

Over the years I've loved watching the likes of Josh Miller and Alan Tongue rip in and give it everything. That's why I come to watch the football. I don't care so much if we lose to a better team. What I do care about is losing as a result of poor attitude, ill discipline or no effort. That's why this year has sucked so badly.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Just on Wigan as a Club. They have won 2 of the past 5 years of Super League and also been runners up twice. He is considered a stand out player for them. I look forward to what he can bring to the Raiders over the next 3 years. Here's hoping some of his skill and attitude can help grow and develop the youngsters coming through at the Raiders. I am far more concerned about turning around our fortunes in 2019 than worrying about season 2022. Let's get the current train wreck back on track and be thankful we have signed a current International wanting to wear our jersey.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Watching highlights and reading on John Bateman he appears to have a lot of Gareth Ellis about him. Let's hope we get the same impact Ellis gave the Tigers from Bateman at the Raiders.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

watching this wigan v Castleford match, Bateman looks good, Sutton looks short of a run after 8 weeks out. Socks down agro fronty not afraid of being 3rd man into a tackle - that ticks a few of my boxes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'm looking forward to watching him play for us. I've really come around to this signing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

what about Nathan Massey!! when did he have that growth spurt

Edrick The Entertainer
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Canberra Raiders English star John Bateman reportedly comes at high price
The Mole

Canberra last week confirmed what I reported months ago - that it had signed Wigan and England star John Bateman.

But what hasn’t been made public is that the Raiders paid a sizeable transfer fee for the Test forward.

Wigan hasn’t revealed the figure either but my well-placed source there says it is around $250,000.

While that is a big figure for a player who only had one year left on his deal, Canberra realised several other clubs - including Cronulla - would be rivalling them for his signature if they waited they 12 months for it to run out.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/08/14/06/ ... n-the-mole
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Is that included in the cap?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dusty wrote:Is that included in the cap?

supposedly wasn't for Burgess or seggy, admitted Burgess was from outside the sport.

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wigan are now the proud owner of More Chilli in Raiders Belconnen
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

bonehead wrote: August 12, 2018, 6:22 pm watching this wigan v Castleford match, Bateman looks good, Sutton looks short of a run after 8 weeks out. Socks down agro fronty not afraid of being 3rd man into a tackle - that ticks a few of my boxes.

Yeah watched this game as well and echo these sentiments.

Bateman has really high motor and is clearly a key player in their team. Looks to have a nice set of skills too, put in a grubber and also had an offload. Strong for his size. I checked out the ESL season stats after the game and he's 1st in the league for offloads and 8th for tackle busts, pretty handy.

Sutton looks like a bit more of a project but is aggressive and runs hard. Can't judge too much though as it was his first game in a couple of months.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman receives help in choosing Canberra Raiders for NRL move – from Mal Meninga

MAL Meninga played a key role in sealing John Bateman's switch to NRL side Canberra on a two-year deal. Sales pitches from Meninga and boss Ricky Stuart helped the 24-year-old, who has the option of a third year Down Under before returning to Wigan, choose them over other clubs.

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7018619/ ... l-meninga/
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Onya Mal
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman drops bombshell, denying he’s signed a three year contract to return to Wigan Warriors after Canberra Raiders deal

John Bateman has signed a two-year deal with Canberra which has another year option but at the same time, Wigan revealed he had agreed to a three-year contract back with the club for when he returns. Bateman has now explained that he doesn’t know what the future holds for him beyond his deal with the Raiders.

“We had a mutual agreement that if I want to come back to Super League, Wigan would get first choice... but that’s about it – I’ve not signed anything. I probably would want to finish my career here, but there’s nothing concrete agreed that I’ll be coming back in two or three years.”

Read more: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... an-1931094
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Very poor behaviour from Wigan right through this... good to hear he wants to make it in the NRL and stay long term if he does.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What a **** **** show this has been :lol:

But yes, very pleased to hear there is no fixed return date and we're not on the hook for another transfer fee if he makes it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's all a bit bizzare. Either Batemans manager is lying to him or Wigan are lying to their fans.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think he'd know if he's signed a contract...
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:10 pm I think he'd know if he's signed a contract...
don't be so sure, plenty of storm players didn't..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

greeneyed wrote:I think he'd know if he's signed a contract...
Unless he was a Melb storm player....Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:16 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:10 pm I think he'd know if he's signed a contract...
If you've read Billy Slater's book, you'll know that the Storm players signed agreements, which involved side letters, but the terms of them were that the benefits covered were within the salary cap and were being supplied to the NRL along with the main contract.

What happened was the Storm management did not comply with either of those things.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:
If you've read Billy Slater's book, you'll know that the Storm players signed agreements, which involved side letters, but the terms of them were that the benefits covered were within the salary cap and were being supplied to the NRL along with the main contract.

What happened was the Storm management did not comply with either of those things.
If it is in a book it must be true!
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:22 pm

Riiiiiiight.....
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well, it is why the NRL cleared the Storm players of any wrong doing... if people want to continue to dispute the facts... well I can't do much more than point out what the facts are.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It's in the audit

http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/2011_storm_report.pdf

Quite interesting to read actually. It doesn't exactly exonerate the players totally but what GE says is true.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

edwahu wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It's in the audit

Quite interesting to read actually. It doesn't exactly exonerate the players totally but what GE says is true.
Without knowing the full story it does seem the Storm were harshly treated.

Use the same audit team to have a look at the Roosters
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2018, 12:31 pm Very poor behaviour from Wigan right through this... good to hear he wants to make it in the NRL and stay long term if he does.
I think you are being very harsh on Wigan. They are a proud club, they don’t want to be losing players to the antipodes. They want to give their fans a positive that they can get him back and he will come back a better player.

Parramatta did something similar when Hayne went to NFL saying he had signed a “lifetime contract” with Parra.

Who knows where we will all be in 3 years time, let’s worry about his return or otherwise then.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Johno wrote: August 24, 2018, 7:39 pm
edwahu wrote: August 24, 2018, 2:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It's in the audit

Without knowing the full story it does seem the Storm were harshly treated.

Use the same audit team to have a look at the Roosters
When I read it I thought they were lucky to keep their license.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

You can find Billy Slaters Autobiography in the fiction section if anybody wants to check for themselves.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

This is just outstanding news, the best news we’ve had all year.

He won’t have one eye on the door and will be digging in for us.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: August 24, 2018, 7:49 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2018, 12:31 pm Very poor behaviour from Wigan right through this... good to hear he wants to make it in the NRL and stay long term if he does.
I think you are being very harsh on Wigan. They are a proud club, they don’t want to be losing players to the antipodes. They want to give their fans a positive that they can get him back and he will come back a better player.

Parramatta did something similar when Hayne went to NFL saying he had signed a “lifetime contract” with Parra.

Who knows where we will all be in 3 years time, let’s worry about his return or otherwise then.
Gives them no excuse to lie. It put both Bateman and the Raiders in a difficult position... because Raiders fans are saying... Why would the Raiders agree to pay a huge transfer fee for a two plus one contract, with the player guaranteed to leave after that. That was the common question. Most said then who knows what will happen in three years time... But as it turned out, Bateman and the Raiders had agreed to no such thing.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Journalists and the like should be held accountable for the lies they spout to get readers and not caring for the angst they leave behind
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This came from the Wigan club's own statement.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

If anyone's up early, Bateman's putting on a masterclass for Wigan against Saints.