Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 24 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs
Saturday 25 August 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Shower or two. Cloudy. High chance of showers and the chance of a thunderstorm, most likely in the afternoon and early evening. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 80 per cent. Possible rainfall: 1 to 6 mm. Min 4 Max 15

Round 23 2018. Canberra Raiders 14 - Sydney Roosters 12. The margin was again narrow, but this time it was in favour of the Raiders. The Raiders won despite the Roosters scoring two tries to one. It was a gritty performance from Canberra, determined. It was the sort of grinding victory that Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has been long searching for. The Roosters might not have been at their absolute best, but they are a team playing for a minor premiership - and they played well. Raiders fans were left scratching their heads... where has this Raiders team been all season?

2018 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

More on Round 23: As I saw it

In Round 24, the Raiders stage their final home game of the season at Canberra Stadium, a meeting with the South Sydney Rabbitohs. For the Raiders, Michael Oldfield (knee) returns from injury at centre, with Elliott Whitehead moving back to the second row. Second rower Joseph Tapine (broken thumb) has been ruled out for the season. Aidan Sezer (hamstring) has been included on the reserves list.

Fullback Alex Johnston, winger Campbell Graham and captain and centre Greg Inglis all return from injury for the Rabbitohs. Dane Gagai moves from fullback to centre. Braidon Burns replaces Mawene Hiroti on the bench. Tyrell Fuimaono and Richie Kennar drop to the reserves list.

Late changes: On Friday afternoon, the Canberra Raiders omitted Aidan Sezer (hamstring) and Makahesi Makatoa from their squad to face the South Sydney Rabbitohs. The Rabbitohs omitted Braidon Burns and Richard Kennar.

History: Canberra has won 31 of 54 games against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. The Raiders have won four of the past 10 matches - and have also won three of the past five. The Raiders won the only contest between the teams in 2017, 32-18, at the Olympic Stadium, but lost the match up in Round 7 this year at Gosford, 42-22.

2018 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

2017 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

2016 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to 1987 and the infamous sudden death finals match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. It is a day Souths winger Steve Mavin would love to forget... but it is one Raiders fans love to remember... with the Raiders on their way to their first Grand Final appearance.

1987 Semi final Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

Form: The Rabbitohs had a nine game winning streak up to Round 18, but have since lost three of five matches. They have had recent losses to the Wests Tigers and Sydney Roosters - and were 38-18 losers to the Brisbane Broncos in their last start. They have a LWWLL form line, while the Raiders broke a four game losing streak against the Roosters last week.

Betting: The Rabbitohs are $1.54 favourites in the match, with the Raiders paying $2.50. The Raiders’ odds have lengthened slightly over the week. The Raiders have 4.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between third (Rabbitohs) and 10th (Raiders) on the competition ladder. Canberra has a nine and 13 record in 2018, while the Rabbitohs are 15 and seven. Canberra has played 10 matches against top eight teams and won one. The Rabbitohs have won five of 11 matches against top eight sides.

The Raiders are ranked first in the NRL for total points (509) and and second for tries (87) scored in 2018. The Rabbitohs rank second in the league for points (519) and first for tries (88) scored. Both teams average around 24 points and four tries per match. The Rabbitohs, however, have the better defence. They rank fifth in the NRL in defence, conceding 18 points and three tries per match. The Raiders rank fourth worst in defence. They let in an an average of 23 points and four tries per match.

The Raiders remain the only team in the bottom eight with a positive points differential (+13), and still have a better points differential than three teams above them (Tigers -44, Warriors +1, Broncos +10). The Rabbitohs have a points differential of +116.

The Rabbitohs average more running metres (Rabbitohs 1575m, Raiders 1438m per match) and more kicking metres (Rabbitohs 446m, Raiders 393m per match). Both teams complete at 78 per cent, and both teams make 10 errors per match. The Raiders, with the Panthers, are the least disciplined team in the NRL. They average 9.3 penalties conceded per match, compared with 8.4 for the Rabbitohs. Both teams receive around 8.5 penalties per match. The Rabbitohs make slightly more offloads (10-9 per match on average), while both teams average around five line breaks per game.

The Rabbitohs have the better tackle efficiency rate (Rabbitohs missing 30 of 348 tackles required on average per match, the Raiders missing 33 of 341).

Our tip: The Raiders have avoided the wooden spoon, but can only now hope to build a springboard for 2019. Their mathematical chance at the finals ended with the loss to the Tigers. The Rabbitohs, however, are one of three teams on 32 competition points, at the head of the ladder. They are still playing for a minor premiership, and at the least a top two finish. They have key players back from injury. Canberra surprised another premiership contended last weekend, but the Raiders are still significantly impacted by injury and suspension. It'll be tough to knock off a premiership contender two weeks in a row. Hopefully I'm wrong again... but it should be a Rabbitohs win (by six).

What they're saying:

Sam Williams: "Everyone speaks about us maybe going into our shell in the last 10 minutes because we lose [close] games. We've got to make sure we back it up next week against a really good team. The team and the squad we've got here has got the ability to do it, we've just let too many games slip this year to be at the right end of the table. It's there, it's just about finding that little bit more consistency and closing those games out a little bit more often."

Emre Guler: "I'm hoping I didn't look out of place. I just want to keep playing NRL until it's finished hopefully and just keep building a platform and build on top of that. It will be good, it will be exciting. The old club, it always means something, there's always something special there. Even when I played them in 20s there's always that bit of banter with the boys. Hopefully we get a win."

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Alex Johnston
2. Campbell Graham
3. Greg Inglis
4. Dane Gagai
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Thomas Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. George Burgess
11. John Sutton
12. Angus Crichton
13. Sam Burgess

15. Cameron Murray
16. Jason Clark
17. Tevita Tatola
19. Tyrell Fuimaono

20. Dean Britt
21. Mawene Hiroti

Officials:

Referees: Adam Gee, Gavin Reynolds
Sideline Officials: Clayton Sharpe, Jarrod Cole
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Ben Cummins

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersSouths

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2018 Rd 24 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by gerg »

I was thinking about taking my daughter to this game. She doesn't watch football but I think she would enjoy the atmosphere. Is it really $17 to take a 4 year old to a game these days?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I just followed the link on the Raiders app > tickets and it has tickets starting at 17.50. Anybody with young'uns know?

Edit. Juniors 5 - 16 start at $17.50, does that mean under 5 are free? Happy to contact the club if nobody knows.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gergreg wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:02 pm I was thinking about taking my daughter to this game. She doesn't watch football but I think she would enjoy the atmosphere. Is it really $17 to take a 4 year old to a game these days?
What did she do wrong to get punished to watch us play?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:07 pm I just followed the link on the Raiders app > tickets and it has tickets starting at 17.50. Anybody with young'uns know?

Edit. Juniors 5 - 16 start at $17.50, does that mean under 5 are free? Happy to contact the club if nobody knows.
I'd be very surprised if kids under that age weren't free. The Raiders will help you though. The membership people are really very, very good.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:18 pm
gergreg wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:02 pm I was thinking about taking my daughter to this game. She doesn't watch football but I think she would enjoy the atmosphere. Is it really $17 to take a 4 year old to a game these days?
Last weekend she insisted she was supporting the blue team, then when we won she claimed to be supporting the green team all along. Deserves to be punished.
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

gergreg wrote:I just followed the link on the Raiders app > tickets and it has tickets starting at 17.50. Anybody with young'uns know?

Under 5 is free. They don't even really question just carry her in. Through corporate entrance side on the right

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Schifty wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:18 pm
By Monday she will never ever leave any weetbix again
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Is everyone prepared for a Sam Burgess wankfest?

Odds of Sam Burgess committing an act of thuggery (most likely a head high tackle): $1.02
Odds of Sam Burgess scoring 2 tries and running for 200 meters: $1.01
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Kids under 5 are free - we have then our young grandkids many times and just lift them through the gate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview updated for squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32971&p=1615741#p1615741
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Looks like the boys are preparing well. EDIT

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Last edited by greeneyed on August 25, 2018, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image is misleading.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This club :lol:
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Anyone on the Gold Cost keen to watch the game I will be heading the Bloke In a Bar Broadbeach to watch the game. Here on holiday from Darwin.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I doubt Inglis will play. Even so, why is Oldfield in the centre against Gagai - he was awful last start in the centre - surely he's got to be on the wing outside Cotric?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Butters wrote: August 24, 2018, 10:03 pm Looks like the boys are preparing well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Come on... the full video showed the boys drinking water and some older person drinking the wine...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good morning boys and girls..

Great day for a game of rugby league.

Tis rabbit season..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Good morning boys and girls..

Tis rabbit season..
Does it finish with That's All Folks?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: August 25, 2018, 6:10 am
-PJ- wrote:Good morning boys and girls..

Tis rabbit season..
Does it finish with That's All Folks?
That's All Folks was about 2 months ago !!
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

56th Min: TRY!!! to Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Raiders lead 22-6 kick to come
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manchild wrote:Anyone on the Gold Cost keen to watch the game I will be heading the Bloke In a Bar Broadbeach to watch the game. Here on holiday from Darwin.
I'd usually join you, but I'll be playing golf instead.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Crusader wrote: August 25, 2018, 8:45 am 56th Min: TRY!!! to Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Raiders lead 22-6 kick to come
Congrats, this managed to spin me out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Crusader wrote: August 25, 2018, 8:45 am 56th Min: TRY!!! to Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Raiders lead 22-6 kick to come
76th Min: TRY!!! to South Sydney Rabbitohs Greg Inglis, converted! Rabbitohs 24-22? ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think that just notched up my sarcasm ranking!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

But wait..there's another twist in the tail..

79th min. Sam Burgess tears Brad Abbeys head clear off, it's laying on the ground. PENALTY Raiders. Abbeys head screams.."take the 2".
Sam Williams converts..its 24-24.

Looking like golden point.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 25, 2018, 9:52 am But wait..there's another twist in the tail..

79th min. Sam Burgess tears Brad Abbeys head clear off, it's laying on the ground. PENALTY Raiders. Abbeys head screams.."take the 2".

80th min. George Burgess FIELD GOAL! Can you believe it?! Rabbitohs 25-24
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 25, 2018, 10:14 am
-PJ- wrote: August 25, 2018, 9:52 am But wait..there's another twist in the tail..

80th min. George Burgess FIELD GOAL! Can you believe it?! Rabbitohs 25-24
12 secs on the clock. Raiders short kick off, Rapana regains the ball, passes to a rampaging Jnr Paulo. He chips over the top, regathers and SCORES UNDER THE POST...RAIDERS WIN..UNBELIEVEABLE SCENES IN CANBERRA..

Its over GE..
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Will Burgess get suspended for ripping Abbeys head off?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Why the heckarooni is Cotric not playing centre?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

1992 wrote: August 25, 2018, 11:03 am Why the heckarooni is Cotric not playing centre?
Cause the master coach is an idiot!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Who's pretending to blow the horn today Fergus ?
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and South Sydney Rabbitohs. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Alex Johnston
2. Campbell Graham
3. Greg Inglis (C)
4. Dane Gagai
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Cody Walker
7 Adam Reynolds
8. Thomas Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. George Burgess
11. John Sutton
12. Angus Crichton
13. Sam Burgess

15. Cameron Murray
16. Jason Clark
17. Tevita Tatola
19. Tyrell Fuimaono

Video: Thank you Raiders members: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... s-members/
The Greenhouse score update service
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Johno wrote: August 25, 2018, 10:42 am Will Burgess get suspended for ripping Abbeys head off?
No. He fell into it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Why do we have 4 middle forwards on the bench?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2018 Rd 24 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote:Who's pretending to blow the horn today Fergus ?
The head of Austbrokers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk