All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Preparing for 2019

Post by Schifty »

Wiki Special wrote: August 20, 2018, 8:03 pm
edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 1:58 pm Victor Radley is playing great at lock. Similar player and even smaller.
Victor Radley is a dead set gun too.
Victor Radley can also play hooker.

Only a complete lunatic would throw Bateman in there at any stage...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Oh right haha, ignore the rambling idiot here in the corner who has no idea what he's **** talking about then...

I have no opinion on John, literally never seen him play
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Has Knight just been rotated out to give the new guys like Murchie and Guler a go?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: August 20, 2018, 10:58 pm Has Knight just been rotated out to give the new guys like Murchie and Guler a go?
I don't think he is rated much by Ricky. Based on the minutes Guler got Knight was just a stop gap for him.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 11:26 pm
Sid wrote: August 20, 2018, 10:58 pm Has Knight just been rotated out to give the new guys like Murchie and Guler a go?
I don't think he is rated much by Ricky. Based on the minutes Guler got Knight was just a stop gap for him.
It would appear so. Knight is a solid player, if we signed another FG standard middle and had Lui, Knight and L. Bateman as our next cabs off the rank that would be very nice. The problem is at least one will definitely be in our 17 next year, most probably 2.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Wiki Special wrote:
It would appear so. Knight is a solid player, if we signed another FG standard middle and had Lui, Knight and L. Bateman as our next cabs off the rank that would be very nice. The problem is at least one will definitely be in our 17 next year, most probably 2.
Lui has probably been our most consistent prop this year, we're going well if he's not required in the top 17 next season

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

bonehead wrote: August 21, 2018, 12:34 pm
Wiki Special wrote:
Lui has probably been our most consistent prop this year, we're going well if he's not required in the top 17 next season

Lui has been very consistent this year and as constructed he will be in our 17 next season. I just think that Soliola, Papalii, J. Bateman (if playing lock), Havili and Sutton will all be ahead of him in the pecking order. Another quality middle signing would put his place in jeopardy, that's all I meant. And hopefully Guler has a big offseason along with Murchie.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I expect Horsburgh will end up in the middle rotation by next year end. He should leapfrog players like Bateman and even Lui, provided Ricky likes him.

I did notice Knight played 80 at prop last weekend, which suggests they still see him in their plans.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 1:56 pm I expect Horsburgh will end up in the middle rotation by next year end. He should leapfrog players like Bateman and even Lui, provided Ricky likes him.

I did notice Knight played 80 at prop last weekend, which suggests they still see him in their plans.
They both put in great stats last round for Mounties:
Horsburgh (starting lock) 49mins, 157m (56pcm), 27 tackles.
Knight (starting prop) 78mins. 190m (47pcm), 33 tackles.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

zim wrote: August 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 1:56 pm I expect Horsburgh will end up in the middle rotation by next year end. He should leapfrog players like Bateman and even Lui, provided Ricky likes him.

They both put in great stats last round for Mounties:
Horsburgh (starting lock) 49mins, 157m (56pcm), 27 tackles.
Knight (starting prop) 78mins. 190m (47pcm), 33 tackles.

Thats very promising, young talent combined with effort wont let you down.

All of a sudden after Gulers debut the situation looks a bit different, you would think Guler only gets bigger and stronger before next season, and if Horsburgh and Knight can develop, throw in J Bateman and Sutton and I feel Lui will become a handy first grader we look ok stocked.... I said ok, not great.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The younger players also look fitter, more agile and more able to play longer minutes if required than the forwards who are leaving. They only lack NRL experience, which again is a mystery as to why Sticky keeps picking blokes who will not be here. I thought Boyd has his best game for us in a long time last week. Where has that been all year? But now we are out of finals contention, why aren't we preparing for 2019 by picking the players who will be here next year?

It reminds me of the dumb preparation we have had for the past two seasons. While all the rest of the NRL had 2 trial matches our coach says no we only need one and so we start behind the other teams in our preparation and it showed in our early season results. How crucial those results look now. Even DFJ has bought in to say we will be having 2 trial matches next year. At least let's start at the same point as all the other NRL clubs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’ve been slow learners Red.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

greeneyed wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:20 am We’ve been slow learners Red.
Glacial
RTW
David Furner

Preparing for 2019

Post by RTW »

Whoops previous post was a pocket post.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sia's performances on the edge the last two weeks have been amazing. No way he is just a middle anymore, even if he will end up playing there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sorting out that middle/edge situation is just about the biggest question mark for 2019.

With Lui, Guler, Sutton and Knight as definite props and Havilli and L Bateman options to play in that lock role, the likes of Tapine, Papalii, Soliola and J Bateman all give you some flexibility in the forward pack.

It'd be great to somehow get TPJ back though. That'd be bloody huge for us as a replacement for Paulo in the middle.

Boyd, however, is the most over rated player in the NRL. I won't miss him at all.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Really impressed by Gruler, he looks the sort of middle you can used as a forward pack building block. Big, strong, aggressive and handles himself well defensively. Not sure if he'll ever develop into a rep regular, not sure he wont either, but injuries all being equal and weight/development continuing, he looks like a guy who'll play in the league for 10 years
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I like him. A lot. Much more impressed than I was with Boyd coming through at the same age.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pigman wrote: August 25, 2018, 6:30 pm Really impressed by Gruler, he looks the sort of middle you can used as a forward pack building block. Big, strong, aggressive and handles himself well defensively. Not sure if he'll ever develop into a rep regular, not sure he wont either, but injuries all being equal and weight/development continuing, he looks like a guy who'll play in the league for 10 years
Looks very comfortable. His carries also improved a good deal between this game and his first.
I hope he tries to keep a similar size. Already looking like he's got that right mix of line bending while still being mobile enough to cover defend. As he gets used to the flow and fitter his game will just improve.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Agree on both Guler and Soliola, I was wrong on Sia he's been outstanding when he's not over-committing to flatten halves without the ball

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Guler is going to be very good for us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

When is he off contract?
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

I heart Guler
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Guler was amazing! 12 runs for 117 metres in 28 mins. Great workrate

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Perhaps with Sezer injured Havilli is still in as backup for Hodgson, and with Guler getting a try out, there's no room for Knight.
Not overly analytical from myself, but with Knight, Guler, Murchie, Bateman (the English one) and Sutton coming in to fill spots vacated by Paulo and Boyd, Im more confident of our depth in the fowards for 2019.

Now for the halfback position I dont know how much cap space there is to attract a better half, but it seems the only position we really need to improve in.
If there;s no cap space then maybe we can get by with WIlliams/Sezer if they are coached well....

oh
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GE, As you know I am an optimist by nature GE. The early season losses really hurt us in 2018. We started behind the rest of the NRL in preparation/early match fitness and as a result we look on at the finals in September. Even our coach should have come to the same conclusion as DFJ. Yes there is a risk of injury. But 15 of 16 NRL sides took that risk and 8 of them will be playing finals footy and another will finish above us on the ladder even though we have the best attack in the League.

Even without Hodgo proved we could attack and get to what should have been 'winning' leads. However I believe our lack of fitness let us down at the back end of those games and we got run down 3 weeks in a row by 3 different teams. If the 1%ers count then we were behind the competition on fitness levels which affected our ability to defend those leads. Good bye semi finals. Good bye the financial boost finals appearances bring. Good bye to the experience vital for developing our players under finals pressure. I have hope we will not again start behind the NRL pack in 2019.

I hope you are travelling ok.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

RedRaider wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:05 am The younger players also look fitter, more agile and more able to play longer minutes if required than the forwards who are leaving. They only lack NRL experience, which again is a mystery as to why Sticky keeps picking blokes who will not be here. I thought Boyd has his best game for us in a long time last week. Where has that been all year? But now we are out of finals contention, why aren't we preparing for 2019 by picking the players who will be here next year?

It reminds me of the dumb preparation we have had for the past two seasons. While all the rest of the NRL had 2 trial matches our coach says no we only need one and so we start behind the other teams in our preparation and it showed in our early season results. How crucial those results look now. Even DFJ has bought in to say we will be having 2 trial matches next year. At least let's start at the same point as all the other NRL clubs.
The coach seems more concerned with giving blokes a fond farewell than preparing for next season.

I would have liked to see a clear shift of focus from the coach once semi-finals were out of reach. That would signal the kind of ruthless professionalism we need to be successful.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: August 26, 2018, 7:44 am
GE, As you know I am an optimist by nature GE. The early season losses really hurt us in 2018. We started behind the rest of the NRL in preparation/early match fitness and as a result we look on at the finals in September. Even our coach should have come to the same conclusion as DFJ. Yes there is a risk of injury. But 15 of 16 NRL sides took that risk and 8 of them will be playing finals footy and another will finish above us on the ladder even though we have the best attack in the League.

Even without Hodgo proved we could attack and get to what should have been 'winning' leads. However I believe our lack of fitness let us down at the back end of those games and we got run down 3 weeks in a row by 3 different teams. If the 1%ers count then we were behind the competition on fitness levels which affected our ability to defend those leads. Good bye semi finals. Good bye the financial boost finals appearances bring. Good bye to the experience vital for developing our players under finals pressure. I have hope we will not again start behind the NRL pack in 2019.

I hope you are travelling ok.
Have to agree. Those early losses all looked like we simply ran out of steam. No matter how much preseason training is done there’s no substitute for match fitness. We were at least one match behind the opposition in this regard and it took several weeks before things equalised.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

OK so we officially finished 10th for the 2nd year in a row.... we basically had no excuses. Our draw was favorable, in that we only had to play the storm, broncos and dragons once (3 teams we simply cant beat) and we had minimal injuries throughout.
I just hope we have a better pre season for 2019.... this year was horrible, with only ONE trial matched being played and our top 3 recruits were 2 warriors duds and a human turnstile that we previously let go.
If we dont make the finals in 2019 serious questions must be asked.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Lucky wrote: August 26, 2018, 7:23 pm OK so we officially finished 10th for the 2nd year in a row.... we basically had no excuses. Our draw was favorable, in that we only had to play the storm, broncos and dragons once (3 teams we simply cant beat) and we had minimal injuries throughout.
I just hope we have a better pre season for 2019.... this year was horrible, with only ONE trial matched being played and our top 3 recruits were 2 warriors duds and a human turnstile that we previously let go.
If we dont make the finals in 2019 serious questions must be asked.
Those serious questions should have already been asked and answered and acted upon...

They haven't.

Welcome to the Canberra Raiders.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

On a positive note, we were the most successful non Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane team.

Silver lining

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2018, 7:38 am On a positive note, we were the most successful non Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane team.

Silver lining

Well, we have finished 2nd amoung the bottom feeders..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:05 am The younger players also look fitter, more agile and more able to play longer minutes if required than the forwards who are leaving. They only lack NRL experience, which again is a mystery as to why Sticky keeps picking blokes who will not be here. I thought Boyd has his best game for us in a long time last week. Where has that been all year? But now we are out of finals contention, why aren't we preparing for 2019 by picking the players who will be here next year?

It took until Round 24 but Boyd finally decided to run with purpose :roflmao
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2018, 7:38 am On a positive note, we were the most successful non Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane team.

Silver lining

so which part of sydney / melbourne or brisbane does the NZ warriors fit into?
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

papabear wrote:

Silver lining

so which part of sydney / melbourne or brisbane does the NZ warriors fit into?
NZ? Well it’s obviously in QLD so it must be a part of Brisbane.