Roosters 13+
67%

Total votes: 12

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:
nacho wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:10 pm The difference today was we held onto the ball. Our game management is still horrific.
Yeah, 94% completion must be close to an all time record for us.
That was ridiculous

4 errors in 80 mins
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Very impressed with Guler today. Great to see his mum in the sheds before the game presenting his jersey.

Might have to make the RFS on our jersey permanently next season.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:16 pm The positive out of today is Guler got on the field early and got a good stint. If only Murchie was offered the same on his debut

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
How many minutes did he get and who won the sweeps?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:38 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:16 pm The positive out of today is Guler got on the field early and got a good stint. If only Murchie was offered the same on his debut

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
How many minutes did he get and who won the sweeps?
28:00 according to NRL.com

I predicted 26 minutes, **** I hope I've won the car!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders hold off Sydney Roosters for inspiring win

The Raiders have held off a second half comeback to beat the Sydney Roosters 14-12 at GIO Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Roosters grabbed two tries to the Raiders one but it was Sam Williams' boot that gave the Raiders the advantage nailing four penalty goals. The Raiders completed all of their first half sets to take a 12-0 advantage into the break and were able to hold off a defiant Roosters outfit in the second half.

Raiders 14 (Try: Rapana Goals: Williams 5/5) def Roosters 12 (Tries: Cordner, Radley Goals: Mitchell 2/2)

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... iring-win/

Match highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -roosters/

Raiders win a close one to knock Roosters off top spot: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/19/can ... -thriller/

We played for the jumper: Stuart hails Raiders' courage: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/19/we- ... s-courage/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hold on to beat Sydney Roosters

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says his team's not far away from being a good side and if they can play like that every week he has a point. It was a more offensively subdued, but defensively much stronger Green Machine that not only tackled their way to their first win over a top-eight side this season, but also a rare win in a close game.

"It was a good win, plenty of heart and probably with players out and the way they rallied and played for each other, played some really good football," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zydu.html

Raiders upset sure-fire Roosters to add twist to premiership puzzle: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zyfd.html
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Random thoughts:

It really was a five tackle set. We probably deserved that after Austin's first tackle kick.

We will miss Blake's quite incisive running, and his long dropouts. Not sure we'll miss his tackling or his short kicking game. I'm joling, we will look better.

Boyd had a pretty good effort today, but I don't think we'll miss his marker defence.

Andrew John said on 9 (I was watching Fox until the game stopped) that the Raiders were good because they were at full strength. He confuses me, is he a genius or an ignoramus?

I saw on Fox that our Number 17 was J. Polo. Who's he? And I saw on 9 news that Mitchell hurt John Bateman. I didn't think he was joining us till next year....

Perhaps I should have said "pointless thoughts"...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

J. Polo played better than J.Paulo that's for sure
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am always impressed with how Trent Robinson speaks. As an Essendon supporter my natural instinct is to dislike him because of who his brother is, but I just think he sounds thoroughly professional every time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Today’s win was great to see but only added to my frustration about this season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I said early on that this game was meaningless and it is for this year. If we can show the same level of commitment over the next two weeks it could have a real positive effect going into next season. If we return to the poor level that we have displayed for the majority of this year (and last) it is a meaningless game.
What was on display today wasn't that pretty but it is these gutsy type of wins that the fans want and expect from the team on a consistent basis. It really isn't asking too much.
As for the actual game I thought the Roosters looked quite flat for the first half but we completed our sets and didn't really let them into the game. They came out in the second half with a better attitude but the boys held their nerve despite a few errors creeping into their game. Congratulations to the team.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Bay53 wrote: August 19, 2018, 8:40 pm I am always impressed with how Trent Robinson speaks. As an Essendon supporter my natural instinct is to dislike him because of who his brother is, but I just think he sounds thoroughly professional every time.
Yeah, me too. Always intelligent and well-considered.

But was he having a laugh with the “thank god for the salary cap” line?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:23 pm
Bay53 wrote: August 19, 2018, 8:40 pm I am always impressed with how Trent Robinson speaks. As an Essendon supporter my natural instinct is to dislike him because of who his brother is, but I just think he sounds thoroughly professional every time.

That line about the salary cap... I was just left shaking my head.

I think he meant "thank god for the salary cap sombrero"!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Trent Robinson is a great coach. Shame on those who didnt believe in him a few years, those posts have aged TERRIBLY
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I can't believe we won that. The whole second half I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:26 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:23 pm

That line about the salary cap... I was just left shaking my head.

I think he meant "thank god for the salary cap sombrero"!
Ha ha. Must have. Either that or he truly believes Ferguson’s salary covers Chrichton’s million plus Morris and Hall’s salaries. Or whatever arrangement landed them Cronk and Tedesco last year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Emre Guler looks right at home in Canberra Raiders debut

Against a pack containing State of Origin enforcer Dylan Napa, Emre Guler didn't look out of place. You couldn't get a better compliment from Canberra Raiders acting captain Josh Hodgson.

"I thought he didn't look out of place at all. We've been talking for a while about a time to put him in," Hodgson said. "We've missed the semis so it's a great opportunity for Emre to come in. He didn't look out of place for one minute.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zydv.html
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am ROYALLY pissed off.

I had to miss this game anyway because I had skating commitments (and I'll miss next weekend's game for those too) but I walked into the house midway through the second half, saw the scores locked up, and confidently predicted we'd lose, even after we kicked the goal to go ahead.

I am royally pissed off because where the **** has that sort of play been all season!!!!!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: August 19, 2018, 6:31 pm
Leebola wrote: August 19, 2018, 6:06 pm Guler looked solid. Hope Murchie gets another crack if Bateman needs time off.
Guler did Ok. I think he's going to need to run with a bit more zip to make an impact though.
BnM, I think the game plan for the Raiders today was ball control and pressuring the No.1 team in the comp coming into this round. The completions were right up there with what a finals bound side can produce. I think Guler went out with the words 'ball control' ringing in his ears. He played well and I'm sure the rookie knows he has plenty to work on.

For a defensophile like me, the game was a delight. Some of the work of EW and Sia was as good as I've seen from anyone this year. BJ did his usual, 'stay out on my opposite centre and allow a try to my left trick' but in the end it didn't matter. For once the side didn't fall apart or try something ridiculous (Austin's second tackle kick being the exception). Instead the pressure was maintained and it was the Chooks who got desperate.

Like everyone else though, I ask the question, 'Where has that been for the past 2 seasons'? Has Don's revelation that we are to have 2 trial matches next year, fired up the Raiders? Rabbitohs next week. Hopefully a similar blueprint to today. Given the Rabbitohs injuries I think our right side will be providing them with some headaches next week.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

His brother's son plays on my son's footy team, that I manage. I had no idea about his history.

Seems like a decent bloke etc etc...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Sid wrote:I think Raiders have enough points to defend this total
I was almost right.. Raiders had enough tries to defend the total 🤷🏿‍♂️
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:33 pm Trent Robinson is a great coach. Shame on those who didnt believe in him a few years, those posts have aged TERRIBLY
:lol:
Yes only the greatest of coaches find success at that battling club the Roosters. Still, got to hand it to Uncle Nick; successful businessman and club boss, though I hear he really needs to work on his putting - as a great golfer once said "you drive for show and putt for dough".
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: August 20, 2018, 7:27 am
Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:33 pm Trent Robinson is a great coach. Shame on those who didnt believe in him a few years, those posts have aged TERRIBLY
Yes only the greatest of coaches find success at that battling club the Roosters. Still, got to hand it to Uncle Nick; successful businessman and club boss, though I hear he really needs to work on his putting - as a great golfer once said "you drive for show and putt for dough".
Give it up, Onoda!
This war was won and lost years ago, unfortunately you were on the wrong side.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: August 20, 2018, 7:29 am
Give it up, Onoda!
Until he manages back-to-back-to-back GFs he's merely walking in the great ones shadow.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

hrundi89 wrote: August 19, 2018, 10:09 pm
His brother's son plays on my son's footy team, that I manage. I had no idea about his history.

Seems like a decent bloke etc etc...
His brother is Dean Robinson. He had worked in the NRL and then worked at Geelong when they were very successful. He came across to Essendon with Mark Thompson. He called himself the “weapon”. I think his rugby league background was part of the problem in that I reckon he wanted the Essendon players to get too big. He then introduced Stephen Dank to the club who had an interesting sports science program and I think everyone knows what happened from there.

I have never met Dean Robinson so have no idea if he is a decent bloke but he was part of a process that caused immense harm to many lives - including his own. Trent Robinson had him on the bench for one Roosters game a year or two ago and he was widely condemned. Dean is basically unemployable in Australian sport I would have thought.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Give it up, Onoda!
The jury is still well and truly out. Uncle Nick will probably give him the tap on the shoulder if he doesn't win this year with the best squad in the comp that he purchased for him.
Last edited by edwahu on August 20, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am watching the game now and I am still really mad about it.

If we played like this in even HALF the games we lost this season we'd be in the goddamn finals.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 19, 2018, 10:19 pm Round 23 Team Song v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -roosters/
Love rappa getting the lead.
random raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh

Post by random raider »

Tapine nursing his hand in team song saw it being taped in the first 10 minutes of game hopefully OK surely nothing to bad played on whole game
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Emre Guler's not going anywhere after impressive Canberra Raiders debut

If you can judge a player's future in the NRL by the good-natured ribbing he receives after a winning debut, then Canberra Raiders forward Emre Guler will be around for a while yet.

"The speed was very quick, you make a tackle, and somebody is coming at you straight away. But once I got into the game I got used to it," Guler said. "I'm hoping I didn't look out of place I just want to stay in the NRL now and build a platform on top of that. Hopefully I can play against Souths, so it would be great to play them and hopefully get a win.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/20/emr ... nrl-debut/

Sydney Roosters Boyd Cordner will avoid suspension with an early plea for a grade one dangerous throw on Luke Bateman: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/18/wil ... match-ban/

WATCH: Emre's emotional moment: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... al-moment/

Round 23 In the sheds: Emre Guler: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... mre-guler/

Match Gallery: Raiders defeat Roosters: https://www.pinterest.com.au/theghraiders/pins/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -roosters/

Vote Now: Man of the Match Round 23: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... ek-round23

Round 23 Play of the week: Sia Soliola: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... a-soliola/

Roaming Reporter: Elliott Whitehead Round 23: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -round-23/

Austbrokers Canberra pledge $17,500 cash giveaway to kickoff ‘Members Appreciation’ round: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... ion-round/

Guest Dance Performance: Legs Dance Dream Team: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... ream-team/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 9:32 am
Give it up, Onoda!
The jury is still well and truly out. Uncle Nick will probably give him the tap on the shoulder if he doesn't win this year with the best squad in the comp that he purchased for him.
Sometimes I don't know why I bother? Surely my subtle little post/dig is deserving of some credit around here? I went to a lot of trouble to carefully craft those 2 sentences. Clearly Ricky and I are working on a much deeper level!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Give it up, Onoda!
Bruh
The jury came in years ago, the verdict has been given, sentencing already taken place, ****, the guilty party is almost up for parole.

It’s just the crazy’s left in the court room mumbling to themselves about how a dude who in the last 5 years has won a comp and made the prelim finals 4/5 years isn’t a good coach
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Don’t current and former players usually hand the debutant their jersey ? Emre Guler should’ve had it presented by Murchie
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: August 20, 2018, 12:48 pm
Give it up, Onoda!
Bruh
The jury came in years ago, the verdict has been given, sentencing already taken place, ****, the guilty party is almost up for parole.

It’s just the crazy’s left in the court room mumbling to themselves about how a dude who in the last 5 years has won a comp and made the prelim finals 4/5 years isn’t a good coach
You said great, your bar is low if you think he has cracked that level.

Maguire was also part of the same debate, and nobody is calling him a supercoach anymore.