Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget ABC Radio Canberra Grandstand with Tim Gavel Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: http://www.abc.net.au/canberra

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or email Tim Gavel at gavel.tim@abc.net.au.

Or send Tim a tweet @TimGavel on twitter.

Ricky Stuart will be on the program.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview:

Hard to motivate the team? No, fortunately, not hard for me to get the players up. I compliment them that they turn up to training with a spring in their step. They want to win for themselves and their supporters.

Aidan Sezer, he's a big loss, he's our No. 1 half. Having Jack Wighton out is a monumental loss to our rhythm in attack. I've moved Nick Cotric, I could see it was starting to train him and he wasn't enjoying his football.

I don't mind being fair game to people who've been involved in the game and know the game. I've had a crack from Mark Riddell, I get that. He finished his career in reserve grade. We put enough pressure on ourselves, I put more pressure on me than anyone else, than anyone in social media. It's disappointing we're 10th. I believe the real coaches put more pressure on themselves than anyone outside the game. I've been a target for my entire career. First I look at the individual making the criticism. I believe criticism is fair on this season, we believe we're a top eight team and we've not made it. But some things have been out of our control which have impacted the season. Unfair criticism from people who've never done anything in their life, water off a duck's back.

Some journalists just want to get as many hits on their stories as possible. Polkinghorne had Trent Barrett coming, now two other coaches. I suppose I'll read about what I'm saying now in The Canberra Times tomorrow.

Mick Crawley has done a great job, he's decided to move on with his coaching career, not sure which club he's going to. He's working 100 per cent for the club at the moment. We're in the market for a new assistant. I've spoken to about eight people, with head coach experience or ability to be a head coach. Don't have to have head coach experience, but experience with working with NRL players. I've often taken on young coaches, but for this role, I want someone who's experienced, can handle man management.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tim Gavel: Just to be clear, the rumours about Trent Barrett emanated from Sydney, not Canberra. But you've got to follow the stories. I'm supporting Ricky Stuart, I've copped criticism on social media for it, but I believe he's the best person for the job.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

So the comment about "never doing anything in their life" refers to....who exactly Ricky? You don't have to of played rugby league for 15 years to know that our team sucks Rick. Mate, you are the captain of the ship, you take the responsibility.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:21 am Tim Gavel: Just to be clear, the rumours about Trent Barrett emanated from Sydney, not Canberra. But you've got to follow the stories. I'm supporting Ricky Stuart, I've copped criticism on social media for it, but I believe he's the best person for the job.
If he's the best person for the job then the job description needs to change.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm almost sure Ricky was calling David Polkinghorne, "Pokemon"... !
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Peter wrote:So the comment about "never doing anything in their life" refers to....who exactly Ricky?
Lucy I believe.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Peter wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:25 am So the comment about "never doing anything in their life" refers to....who exactly Ricky? You don't have to of played rugby league for 15 years to know that our team sucks balls Rick. Mate, you are the captain of the ship, you take the responsibility.
Obviously he's not referring to us fans who pay our memberships, watch the games, buy the kit, still here supporting the team after many many years of disappointment. Because if it wasn't for people like us driving money into the game then he wouldn't be on a million dollar contract to coach the club.
Last edited by Northern Raider on August 18, 2018, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ricky really takes criticism well :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:29 am
Peter wrote:So the comment about "never doing anything in their life" refers to....who exactly Ricky?
Lucy I believe.
Fair call then
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:19 am Ricky Stuart interview:

I've had a crack from Mark Riddell, I get that. He finished his career in reserve grade.
How does Riddell finishing his career in reserve grade have any relevance?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:29 am
Lucy I believe.
Fair call then
Exactly
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:48 am
greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:19 am Ricky Stuart interview:

I've had a crack from Mark Riddell, I get that. He finished his career in reserve grade.
How does Riddell finishing his career in reserve grade have any relevance?
It would be like saying Ricky isn't passionate about or 100% committed to the Raiders because he coached at other teams. I hate how this club adopts this 'us and them' mentality with the fans of the club.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Would have loved Tim to ask what we can expect for next year and why we should renew.....what will change....
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

What an embarrassing interview.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

What a glass jaw. Incredible.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Ricky Stuart interview:

We're in the market for a new assistant. I've spoken to about eight people, with head coach experience or ability to be a head coach. Don't have to have head coach experience, but experience with working with NRL players. I've often taken on young coaches, but for this role, I want someone who's experienced, can handle man management.
I have a feeling we’re going to recruit Mark Herbert to partner Betty White
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I love the he bleeds green, he is harder on himself than anyone else etc so he must be the right man for the job... That could be true. What could also be true is that he actually isn't an elite coach and effort/passion for the club has nothing to do with it. Oh hang on, I've had a successful banking career, but because I haven't played league in in over 20 years I can't know what I'm talking about..
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Kermit wrote: August 18, 2018, 12:14 pm Would have loved Tim to ask what we can expect for next year and why we should renew.....what will change....
I've started a new thread giving people the heads up that the Raiders have adopted an auto renewal system. So, if you get your renewal letter and don't read it, you could find yourself automatically paying for a renewal if you miss the opt out deadline.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

We're in the market for a new assistant. I've spoken to about eight people, with head coach experience or ability to be a head coach. Don't have to have head coach experience, but experience with working with NRL players. I've often taken on young coaches, but for this role, I want someone who's experienced, can handle man management.
Nope, it'll be his mate John Cartwright as one coach. I thought Glenn Buttriss might be the other, but I'd say the Mounties coach will be getting a promotion and Butts will be the assistant there.

David
Ken Nagas

Post by David »

Kermit wrote: August 18, 2018, 12:14 pm Would have loved Tim to ask what we can expect for next year and why we should renew.....what will change....
This.

What is going to change next year....nothing. We need halves.

More of doing the same but with less and expecting different results.....
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand

Post by nemesis »

He's spot on, he's talking about all the know everything **** on social media, if the shoe fits, lace it up people. no matter what he say's he cops it, everyone just looking to spin his words and make it something it's not, i can see that just from reading the comments here.

So many parra fans still to this say blame him for parra's **** show, brain dead idiots who have no clue.
People say he only won a comp because he inherited a great team, still a **** coach would have blown that opportunity and not won.

It's a hard gig and so many people who wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do think they have all the answer's, i reckon a fair few of those people are terrible at their jobs or don't even have one.

The world is full of social media sooks and know it all's.
raider 4 life
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fui, it sounds like Dave Furner is on the comeback track to Canberra. They are getting the old farm back together .. er I mean 'old firm'. As an assistant coach I think we could do a lot worse.

Sticky, so we fans get an idea on the future direction of the Club, can you name say, the bottom 5 of the 8 you have spoken to and are not in the running? I don't expect to know 'the one' before the season is over but are we talking 'pop guns' like Jason Taylor big guns like Michael Maguire? Would someone like Wayne Bennett who dislikes the media and the fact that Head Coaches have to deal with reporters, be an option? The problem with saying you've spoken to 8 people is that it is now left open to speculation as to who they are.
Last edited by RedRaider on August 18, 2018, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RedRaider wrote:

Fui, it sounds like Dave Furner is on the comeback track to Canberra. They are getting the old farm back together .. er I mean 'old firm'.
We should get Neil Henry back as well to replace White, really get the boys back together
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

nemesis wrote: August 18, 2018, 1:12 pm He's spot on, he's talking about all the know everything **** on social media, if the shoe fits, lace it up people. no matter what he say's he cops it, everyone just looking to spin his words and make it something it's not, i can see that just from reading the comments here.

So many parra fans still to this say blame him for parra's **** show, brain dead idiots who have no clue.
People say he only won a comp because he inherited a great team, still a **** coach would have blown that opportunity and not won.

It's a hard gig and so many people who wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do think they have all the answer's, i reckon a fair few of those people are terrible at their jobs or don't even have one.

By this logic, no coach would ever be sacked and no player ever dropped.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

nemesis wrote:He's spot on, he's talking about all the know everything **** on social media, if the shoe fits, lace it up people. no matter what he say's he cops it, everyone just looking to spin his words and make it something it's not, i can see that just from reading the comments here.

He may be spot on but more so then ever the “keyboard Warrior “ is a part of society and to complain about people on here voicing their opinion why have a forum if not to voice opinion.

His reality is that he has a career coaching record less then 50% and has coached a team to the finals just twice in over a decade. True people criticise him but is it not warranted?

Isn’t going from a prelim final to not even making the finals in consecutive season something worth questioning?

Again people give opinion on how to fix it because we are on a forum. I openly criticise the coaching of our defence which for the past ten seasons we have failed to be a top 8 defensive team in all but one of those seasons. Just because I don’t have NRL coaching experience does it mean I shouldn’t discuss this???
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: August 18, 2018, 12:56 pm I love the he bleeds green, he is harder on himself than anyone else etc so he must be the right man for the job... That could be true. What could also be true is that he actually isn't an elite coach and effort/passion for the club has nothing to do with it. Oh hang on, I've had a successful banking career, but because I haven't played league in in over 20 years I can't know what I'm talking about..
Just playing devil's advocate but would you cop criticism of your banking career from Ricky?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 18, 2018, 1:37 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Fui, it sounds like Dave Furner is on the comeback track to Canberra. They are getting the old farm back together .. er I mean 'old firm'.
We should get Neil Henry back as well to replace White, really get the boys back together
Now that we have 'better cattle' could we see Matt Elliott back? I think there should be an investigation into our defensive woes so perhaps we should go after Geoff 'there has to be an investigation' Toovey. Des 'door smasher' Hasler would have something in common with Josh 'door smasher' Hodgson. Wayne Bennett is the England Coach and he already knows the English players in our side. Could he be one of the 'great 8'? Is 'Loz' coming home? Kevin Walters? Brian Smith? Trent Barrett? Storm assistant coach Adam O'brien? Whoops I've gone over the 8 quota. Just playin', but someone has to replace the excellent Mr Crawley now it is confirmed he is leaving.
Last edited by RedRaider on August 18, 2018, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

nemesis wrote: August 18, 2018, 1:12 pm He's spot on, he's talking about all the know everything **** on social media, if the shoe fits, lace it up people. no matter what he say's he cops it, everyone just looking to spin his words and make it something it's not, i can see that just from reading the comments here.

Rugby league is nothing special at the end of the day, it's just entertainment. Passing criticism on any part of the game is no different to passing it on any other form of entertainment. Ricky calling people losers for doing it is arrogant and I guarantee hypocritical.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

People expressing their opinions on a game where people chase a ball around a paddock shows that they love the game and the club. If you don't have people invested in the game there really is no game. Why is that so difficult to understand?
When Ricky was playing rugby union I was supporting this club. When Ricky was playing for the Raiders I was supporting this club. When Ricky played for the Bulldogs I was supporting this club. When Ricky was coaching the Bulldogs, the Roosters, the Sharks and Eels I was supporting this club. But somehow he thinks I'm not entitled to an opinion on this club?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's grown men chasing a rubber ball around a grass patch, of course you can criticise it.

99% of Rugby Leagues value comes from fans caring about it even though it's intrinsically meaningless. Ricky should remember that.
Last edited by edwahu on August 18, 2018, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Ricky manages a team of about 40 people if you include his support staff. He has a single comparative benchmark that is easy to measure, track and troubleshoot. He has a huge talent pool for all the critical support roles and 50% of his playing squad.

The fact that he hasn't demonstrated sustained improvement in any area at all is pretty strong evidence he doesn't actually know what he needs to be doing. Add the fact he reaches for excuses far more often than solutions and I don't think there is a compelling, rational argument for his retention beyond this season.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

luke wrote:What a glass jaw. Incredible.
One bloke has a pot and he goes to pieces and gets petty

**** off champ, Riddell is fair to call out your failures
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Highlight of any coaches, Coaching career should be coaching the National Team. Sticky did ok, until the 2008 World Cup where Australia lost in the final and the following day he called Referee Ashleigh Klein a cheat in front of witnesses. This was the lowest act from a National Coach of an Australian Rubgy League team I can remember. For someone with this record to disparage Mark Riddell as finishing his career in reserve grade is laughable.

Other than the brief flickering flame with the 2016 Raiders, he has been bumping along the bottom of the performance results outcomes since that time. He is obviously good with the gab, because he keeps getting coaching gigs. But the appointments have not led to much notable success. It is good the Raiders are looking for new coaching blood. It is desperately needed. Hopefully this exercise will open the eyes of the Board to the coaching change which is most needed. That of the current Head Coach.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

RedRaider wrote: August 18, 2018, 2:52 pm The Highlight of any coaches, Coaching career should be coaching the National Team. Sticky did ok, until the 2008 World Cup where Australia lost in the final and the following day he called Referee Ashleigh Klein a cheat in front of witnesses. This was the lowest act from a National Coach of an Australian Rubgy League team I can remember. For someone with this record to disparage Mark Riddell as finishing his career in reserve grade is laughable.

Other than the brief flickering flame with the 2016 Raiders, he has been bumping along the bottom of the performance results outcomes since that time. He is obviously good with the gab, because he keeps getting coaching gigs. But the appointments have not led to much notable success. It is good the Raiders are looking for new coaching blood. It is desperately needed. Hopefully this exercise will open the eyes of the Board to the coaching change which is most needed. That of the current Head Coach.
Raiders management are probably loathe to part with the amount of money required to move Ricky on. Probably hasn't occurred to them to restructure the back office to accommodate him in a non-coaching role, although his ego probably wouldn't countenance such a move.

He's signed until the end of 2020. So, the assistant coaches had better keep in mind that they are auditioning for his job just as much as they are supporting him.