All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2018

Post by Botman »

Cotric would be on less money right now than what the Tigers are paying Mybe

Cotric is more talented, objectively a better player right now, is younger and cheaper
I’m telling you now, they’d bury Mybe in the woods and hope the body is never found if they could sign Cotric
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Mbye:
750k per year for 4 years. With the bulldogs paying 400k for the first 2.

Just be thankful we didn't sign him for that. Those last 2 years would really hurt.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Pigman wrote:Cotric would be on less money right now than what the Tigers are paying Mybe

Cotric is more talented, objectively a better player right now, is younger and cheaper
I’m telling you now, they’d bury Mybe in the woods and hope the body is never found if they could sign Cotric
Belangalo
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Matt's Match-ups 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Why is tapatalk quoting not working dammit!

I have inappropriate jokes to make
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2018, 6:47 pm I'd have Nick Cotric over Moses Mbye in any position on the field, any day!
Missionary?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote: August 8, 2018, 8:58 pm If Nic Cotric stipulated he HAS to play fullback and no other position ever, the tigers would trade Mybe for Cotric every day of the week and three times on Sunday.
Bulldogs would swap Hopoate for Cotric five times on Sunday...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt, I can't think of a single area of a Rugby League players skill set where Mbye would be better than Nic Cotric. The much predicted 'second year' syndrome simply hasn't happened. Instead he is now in a spine position and doing well there too although still learning.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 23: Raiders V Roosters

Roosters V Raiders

James Tedesco 1. Brad Abbey
Daniel Tupou 2. Nick Cotric
Latrell Mitchell 3. Elliott Whitehead
Joseph Manu 4. Joseph Leilua
Blake Ferguson 5. Jordan Rapana
Ryan Matterson 6. Blake Austin
Cooper Cronk 7. Sam Williams
Dylan Napa 8. Dunamis Lui
Jake Friend © 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Sio Siua Taukeiaho 10. Shannon Boyd
Boyd Cordner 11. Joseph Tapine
Isaac Liu 12. Sia Soliola
Victor Radley 13. Josh Papalii

Interchange
Nat Butcher 14. Emre Guler
Zane Tetevano 15. Luke Bateman
Mitchell Aubusson 16. Siliva Havili
Sean O’Sullivan 17. Junior Paulo

Extended Bench
Sitili Tupouniua 18. Jack Murchie
Kurt Baptiste 19. Liam Knight
Paul Momirovski 20. Makahesi Makatoa
Lindsay Collins 21. Michael Oldfield

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
I’m glad to see that Brad Abbey has been named in position at fullback. Hopefully a couple of games on the wing has settled his nerves, and the yips are over. James Tedesco is the best fullback in the game, this isn’t a contest.

Wingers:
Nick Cotric has been named on the wing this week. However, I note that Michael Oldfield is named on the extended bench. So, there might be a game day shuffle on the cards here. I’d much rather see Cotric in the centres, but in that reshuffle, Ricky would inevitably cut the rookie Emre Guler, rather than one of the Raiders' departing players. I suspect if Oldfield plays we will see Brad Abbey out, Oldfield to the wing and Cotric at fullback. Daniel Tupou has been playing great footy, averaging over 150m a game. He only has four tries in his 11 games, but he is playing outside Latrell Mitchell who has 12, so the ball just doesn't need to get to him.

Jordan Rapana is arguably the best winger in the game, however, in 2018 the statistical best goes to Blake Ferguson. No one in the NRL has run for more metres than Ferguson, a massive 3,919m. He also leads the line breaks with 20. Cotric is second with 19, while Rapana is fifth with 16. He is fourth on the tackle bust list, with the Raiders pair at one and two: Cotric, then Rapana. He is also fifth on the try scoring list.

Centres:
Latrell Mitchell is currently the best centre in the game, so poor Elliott Whitehead doesn’t get a look in.

Joseph Manu may be in career best form, and Joseph Leilua may have been sent to the sin bin last week, but this is a no contest. Leilua is producing more good than bad at the moment, and would be right up there with Mitchell on the top centres list.

Halves:
Blake Austin had a couple of brain snaps on the weekend that ultimately cost the Raiders a chance at stealing a win against the Tigers. Even though Ryan Matterson is dealing with concussion related issues, and hasn’t been as effective at five eighth as he was earlier in the year in the back row, he isn’t costing the team games.

Cooper Cronk struggled early in the year for combinations, timing and fitness, but he now has the Roosters on top of the NRL table with only a few weeks left before finals. Sam Williams is still struggling to lead the Raiders' side on a week to week basis.

Prop:
Dunamis Lui has been one of the Raiders' more consistent performers this season, and has certainly earned a starting spot. He is far outplaying his more high profile prop team mates, but that only highlights the Raiders' issues at prop this year. Dylan Napa is only a couple of weeks back from injury, but last week showed his big game awareness and came to the party. He was especially brutal on Tom Burgess, laying a number of big shots on him. Napa’s defence is momentum swinging.

Shannon Boyd put in yet another average performance on the weekend with 63m and 29 tackles. Sio Siua Taukeiaho made more than twice the metres, 137m, and only a few less tackles, 24. This isn’t close.

Nat Butcher hasn’t played NRL footy for a couple of weeks, but he has played this year, and can’t lose to the debutant Emre Guler, soon to be Raider #353.

Luke Bateman is a toiler, and his 80m and 23 tackles were typically workman like in last week’s loss to the Tigers. Zane Tetevano comes off the bench and is explosive. He runs with purpose, and tackles just as hard. You want impact from your bench props, and with an average of 92m and 20 tackles off the bench as a prop you are doing pretty well.

Junior Paulo wins because Sean O’Sullivan has had three consecutive games riding the pine for 80 minutes.

Hooker/utility:
Two of the better hookers in the competition are going head to head here. Both with the captain's armband too. Josh Hodgson’s form is sliding, while Jake Friend’s is starting to rise. However, I’m not willing to call against Hodgson just yet.

Mitchell Aubusson is a perfect utility player. He can play most positions on the field. A jack of all trades, but master of none. Siliva Havili ran harder than most of the Raiders' props last week. I'd name him at prop at the moment. He is playing that well he deserves more game time and credit for a good year.

Backrow:
Joseph Tapine has shown in the last fortnight why the Raiders should leave him on the edge next season. He gave James Maloney no end of trouble, then did a number on the Tigers last week too. Boyd Cordner is the NSW Origin captain, and one of the best edge players in the world, but he isn’t playing like Tapine. This just proves that if he gets the niggle and agro out of his game, Tapine could be anything.

Isaac Liu has been very good for the Roosters in recent weeks. Spending good minutes split between the edge and middle. In fact, he is playing a very similar role to Sia Soliola at the moment. Though it’s been more edge than middle in recent weeks, he has been playing the forward position vacant on any given weekend. You know what you get from Soliola, but its currently less than Liu.

I think Victor Radley would be rookie of the year in 2018 if he was eligible. His development and impact for the Roosters this season has been huge. He is definitely one of the better locks in the competition at the moment. Josh Papalii continues to play good footy, but his start last week was very lazy, with a couple of terrible missed tackles. As his form is still very good, I’ve called this a draw, but he has to keep his standards up.

Result
The tally is Roosters 11, Raiders five and a draw. This looks like a thrashing coming on paper and I expect it.

Result: Roosters to inflict a huge loss (by 18-24).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd give them Friend and Manu as well. Manu is a great player who gets overlooked for not been Mitchell. BJ is going ok with the ball but defensively he has gone down hill since the start of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can't agree on the wingers, especially Cotric!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2018, 6:04 pm Can't agree on the wingers, especially Cotric!
Take the green googles off GE. :P
Tupou has been good, while Cotric struggled at FB.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2018, 6:04 pm Can't agree on the wingers, especially Cotric!
But, even if I agreed with that, he's been selected at WING!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:56 pm
Matt wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
But, even if I agreed with that, he's been selected at WING!
There is the current form argument. Which u r saying u agree with. Even if we took just recent wing games, he wasnt the same without Croker inside him.

Would u believe Tupou avgs 40m more per game?

Cotric has him covered pretty much everywhere else though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't agree on his form at fullback. He's been given virtually no opportunity at fullback in firsts and the decision has been made, it seems.

In any event, I don't think there are better wingers in the competition than Rapana and Cotric. Certainly not Ferguson and what's his name.
Matt
Don Furner

Matt's Match-ups 2018

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 24: Raiders V Rabbitohs

What’s going down in Gosford this weekend?

Rabbitohs V Raiders

Alex Johnston 1. Brad Abbey
Campbell Graham 2. Nick Cotric
Greg Inglis Image 3. Michael Oldfield
Dane Gagai 4. Joseph Leilua
Hymel Hunt 5. Jordan Rapana
Cody Walker 6. Blake Austin
Adam Reynolds 7. Sam Williams
Thomas Burgess 8. Dunamis Lui
Damien Cook 9. Josh Hodgson Image
George Burgess 10. Shannon Boyd
John Sutton 11. Sia Soliola
Angus Crichton 12. Elliott Whitehead
Sam Burgess 13. Josh Papalii

Interchange
#Jason Clark 16. vs 14. Emre Guler
Cameron Murray 15. Junior Paulo
#Braidon Burns 14. vs 16. Siliva Havili
Junior Tatola 17. Luke Bateman

Extended Bench
Richard Kennar 18. Jack Murchie
Tyrell Fuimaono 19. Liam Knight
Dean Britt 20. Makahesi Makatoa
Mawene Hiroti 21. Aidan Sezer

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

# I have altered the skins to pair up like positions on the bench.

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Alex Johnston has been named from a long term hamstring injury, so Brad Abbey wins the skin via the injury rule. However, I hope we see another quality cutout pass for a try this week too.

Wingers:
Nick Cotric also wins an injury rule skin against Campbell Graham. Don’t write this kid off though, Graham looks the goods. Jordan Rapana was on the end of the Abbey cutout pass to open the scoring on the weekend. He has been in fantastic form of late, and wins the skin over Hymel Hunt. Hunt has actually been pretty good this year, proving he is a good depth option, as he has played both centre and wing in recent weeks.

Centres:
This is a dual injury affected skin, and thus is a draw. Both Greg Inglis and Michael Oldfield have been out injured, with a broken thumb and knee strain respectively. While the skin is a draw, let’s not kid ourselves in the gulf in class.

Joseph Leilua outplayed the 2018 centre of the year in Latrell Mitchell on the weekend. That’s enough for me to give him the skin over Dane Gagai. Gagai has been filling in at fullback the past couple of weeks. Not sure why, but he is always a much better player with a Queensland jumper on.

Halves:
Adam Reynolds has been named this week, despite a hyper extended elbow and possible knee injury sustained last weekend. He has been one of the form halves in the competition. I like what Sam Williams has given us in the past few weeks, and his goal kicking has been a real surprise, but he isn’t in Reynolds class.

Cody Walker, has had an up and down season, but he seems to be finding some form at the right end of the season. Blake Austin’s season hasn’t fared much better. However, with a few howlers in recent weeks, he loses the skin rather than Walker winning it. It’s worth noting that Aidan Sezer is on the bench, so there could be a late change, either in the halves, or at centre, with Austin moving wider again in place of Oldfield, or even the left field choice of fullback instead of Abbey.

Prop:
The twins Tom and George Burgess are two of the form props in the competition. They were a major factor in the win over the Storm and had strong second halves against the Roosters. Both average over 100m a game, and every run is punishing. On this rare occasion they will line up against an opponent who matches them in nearly every physical dimension - Shannon Boyd. Boyd played his best game in months against the Roosters, but it’s not enough to win the skin. Dunamis Lui continues to rip in, and was surprisingly quick to his feet after being smashed by Napa and Radley on a dropout return. He also isn’t in the twins' class.

Emre Guler had a fine debut. I was touched by the jersey presentation from his mum too, that was a great thing for the club to do, changing the traditional presentation from a former player to a more personal one. He looked every bit a first grader from the second he walked out there too. He wasn’t flashy, but certainly not overawed either. Jason Clark had what I think might have been his best game ever in the NRL on the weekend, so getting a match-up against a one gamer seems a waste this week. Clark changed the course of the game last week, and when he went off, it changed back the other way.

Cameron Murray has been a real find for the Bunnies this season. He is a better version of Kyle Turner, Jason Clark, and a few other players they have tried in recent years to fill the lock role. His work rate is high, makes his tackles and has sneaky footwork and ball skills. Junior Paulo, like Shannon Boyd, probably had his best game in months. That’s not enough to win the skin though.

Junior Tatola had a great start to the year. However, as it progresses, he seems to have lost a bit of favour and is now getting limited minutes off the bench. Luke Bateman put his body on the line a few times on the weekend. But using you head to tackle Latrell Mitchell’s hip is not advisable. Bateman is getting more minutes and producing more at the moment, which is enough to win the skin.

Hooker/utility:
I still think Josh Hodgson should be rated as the second best hooker in the world, but right now Damien Cook is playing lights out football. I think he will probably win Dally M Hooker of the Year. He has been electric this season.

Off the bench, we have centre/winger versus a hooker/middle forward. A weird little skin we have here. I think Burns is a little unlucky to lose his spot this week, as he has been their best outside back in the last fortnight. However, he isn’t going to hold the likes of Johnston, Inglis or Gagai out of the team. There is some good competition for spots at the Bunnies at the moment. Campbell Graham has proved - prior to his injury - that he is a starting talent, while Hunt has also been impressive. Siliva Havili’s drop from the kickoff on the weekend is enough to lose the skin. Even the coach hooked him a set later.

Backrow:
When the season began I thought we would see John Sutton limp over the 300 game mark and the Bunnies would then send him off into retirement. Well, I was wrong. Sutton has been having a career year, and playing some pretty good footy. Like the rest of that left edge, he has suffered a little without Inglis out there, and that means he can’t hold off Sia Soliloa in this week’s skin. Soliola is one of the most consistent players the Raiders have, and I don’t think he has a bad game in him. He went agonisingly close to scoring on the weekend, and put in an otherwise solid performance. I think he has played better footy on the edge and in the centres than he has in the middle in recent weeks.

I really like Elliott Whitehead, and his ability to adapt his game to play in the centres or even five eighth, as he did on the weekend. However, this also has an effect on his overall game as he just isn’t able to be as involved. He faces off against Origin debutant Angus Crichton, who averages 50m more a game and five more tackles. He also out does him in the tackle bust and offload stakes.

I don’t think I have watched Sam Burgess put together two worse games in his career than in recent weeks. Last week Big Brother Burgess went trip trap, drop drop, flop flop, across the Suncorp Bridge. He was so bad, that the McGuire troll allowed him to pass. Josh Papalii continues to be a premier lock forward. He had an early break this week, coming off after about 30 minutes, but he had dominated the middle of the park against a much fancied Roosters pack, and put the Raiders well on top.

Result
The tally is Rabbitohs nine and Raiders six with a draw. With all the injury changes, and back to back losses by the Bunnies, this set of skins looks closer than it is. The Bunnies will be very keen to get back on track, and Sam Burgess will certainly be out to right his performances of the past fortnight. I don’t like the Raiders' chances with Inglis and Johnston back.

Result: Rabbitohs by plenty (by 14-18).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think pappa coming off a little earlier worked well. He didn't seem dead at the 65-70min mark like he has other games. Also helps that we completed so well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This week is showing the drawbacks of the "injury rule". Johnston and Inglis deserve to win the skin, regardless of injury.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why are two players coming back from injury automatically a push?

Surely the purpose of the rule is essentially that I guy who played last week has the jump on a guy coming back from a layoff. If they’re both returning doesn’t that open it up to picking the obvious winner? Surely there’s a loophole here for you Matt!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

When you system's design is such that it throws up results like

Edrick Lee > Jordan Rapana
Anthony Milford > Billy Slater
Michael Oldfield > Greg Inglis
Brad Abbey > Alex Johnston

you need to change your system because it's absolutely **** trash

How about this Matt:
Ditch your system. It's garbage and it does you a huge disservice. Just use your god damn brain and analysis the match ups. Use stats, use form, by all means but for the love of **** christ, use some common sense! Haha. Wild i know, but it just might work!

Your current system is set up so that if Cam Smith was RESTED for 2 weeks and we pulled Glenn Guttriss away from the buffet table for two weeks, he'd win the skin! :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Alex Johnston could be in a wheelchair and still beat Brad Abbey, same with GI over Oldfield

1 week form is junk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 22, 2018, 7:07 pm When you system's design is such that it throws up results like

you need to change your system because it's absolutely **** trash

How about this Matt:
Ditch your system. It's garbage and it does you a huge disservice. Just use your god damn brain and analysis the match ups. Use stats, use form, by all means but for the love of **** christ, use some common sense! Haha. Wild i know, but it just might work!

Your current system is set up so that if Cam Smith was RESTED for 2 weeks and we pulled Glenn Guttriss away from the buffet table for two weeks, he'd win the skin! :lol:
The others I did. This is did not, and as such I take offence.

TBH, the 2nd one happened 3 times in a row, I got burnt 3 times, and is now a rule in its own right.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Guys,

Ive said it 1 million times, I do this on form. So if you havent played for a few weeks or months, then u arent going to win, simple as that. I dont care if it is Inglis or Smith. Its not like Hodgo won his 1st skin returning from an ACL. I have rules for my selections in place, and you all know them.

So, when its obvious why I've done it, keep moving. Esp when I write the following in the reasoning,"...While the skin is a draw, let’s not kid ourselves in the gulf in class. "

As for Johnson, he has played approx 3mins in 2 wks and frankly he hasnt been good since GI got injured. Hasnt scored a try since Rd 15. Only avgs 92m a game at FB, passed 100m in only 9 of 19 games. He does have a 210 vs Manly Rd 3. This is another case of a really good winger wanting to play FB IMO, though 11 try assists in impressive (3 were vs us BTW).

GI hasnt played a game since Rd 16, at Barlow Park vs the Cowboys on the 1st of July. Thats nearly 2 months. Ill take Gangers 'dual injured' loophole on board though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 23, 2018, 8:52 am
Pigman wrote: August 22, 2018, 7:07 pm
Humblest of apologies! You didnt say Oldfield won the skin, you just said it was a draw. Which is no less absurd :lol: :lol:

Matt, im gonna tell you this again. If your system requires you to constantly have to defend yourself against picks not even you truly believe in, then you're doing yourself a major disservice and you need to change the system

So just change your system! It doesnt even have to be a major change. The format can stay identical
Just do the match ups and tell us who you think wins the match up based on what you know about the game of RL.
Instead of saying "While the skin is a draw, let’s not kid ourselves in the gulf in class..." just pick GI and say explain that despite not playing for a while, the gulf in class is immeasurable and thats why GI wins the skin.
You look like a god damn fool trying to sell things like Oldfield drawing with Inglis, or Johnston losing to Abbey, or Edrick Lee beating out Rapana.

Just use common sense! :lol: :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are you trying to kill Matt’s match ups? Is that what you want pigman?

You’ve gotta have some cliquebait to get traction on the GH
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: August 23, 2018, 6:05 pm Are you trying to kill Matt’s match ups? Is that what you want pigman?

You’ve gotta have some cliquebait to get traction on the GH Image
He did... twice.
Which is still running?!?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 23, 2018, 3:27 pm
Matt wrote: August 23, 2018, 8:52 am
Pigman wrote: August 22, 2018, 7:07 pm
Humblest of apologies! You didnt say Oldfield won the skin, you just said it was a draw. Which is no less absurd :lol: :lol:

Matt, im gonna tell you this again. If your system requires you to constantly have to defend yourself against picks not even you truly believe in, then you're doing yourself a major disservice and you need to change the system

So just change your system! It doesnt even have to be a major change. The format can stay identical
Just do the match ups and tell us who you think wins the match up based on what you know about the game of RL.
Instead of saying "While the skin is a draw, let’s not kid ourselves in the gulf in class..." just pick GI and say explain that despite not playing for a while, the gulf in class is immeasurable and thats why GI wins the skin.
You look like a god damn fool trying to sell things like Oldfield drawing with Inglis, or Johnston losing to Abbey, or Edrick Lee beating out Rapana.

Just use common sense! :lol: :lol:
Appolige accepted.

The premise for this was never about just picking the high profile player because of who they are. They have to earn it wk in wk out just like everyone else.

Plus, going against my rules makes me look like a hypocrite. GI vs Oldies is weird coz they are both returning from injury, hence ill adapt it next time, as per Gangers suggestion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NO. No.
Just change. Just use your brain, use your eyes, tell us what you see and what your opinion is!

Do you think Oldfield is better or equal to Greg Inglis?
Do you think Abbey is better or equal to Johnston?

If the answers are no, give them the skin and explain why! That's it!
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Stick to your guns Matt, its your thread, your rules, dont let yourself be influenced
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree Johno!

I’m pretty sure pigman doesn’t have the numbers. Don’t let him and his right wing faction try and bully your party into his agenda. As soon as you start compromising they’ll use that to call a spill and depose you.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Are you trying to kill Matt’s match ups? Is that what you want pigman?

You’ve gotta have some cliquebait to get traction on the GH Image
Kill the segments!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Y'all want to stand with the dude who comes to the table with these sorts of takes:

Michael Oldfield >< Greg Inglis

Not even 1% of Matt believes or agrees with those, and nor do any of you. Stop the madness.
On what planet do you devise a system, and stand behind a system that produces results you dont even remotely support?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I do believe there is an election coming up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I work with systems and models all day, every day.
If you cant stand behind your system without making significant concessions and caveats, you have to go back to the drawing board.
Matt cant and doesnt stand behind his system. He knows it's inherently and fatally flawed. For all the **** i give Matt the most frustrating thing is i dont actually think the man is an idiot! haha
The guy does know football, he knows what he sees and whilst we dont always agree he's generally got a sound rhyme or reason... except here, his featured column where where he meekly defends picks not even he agrees with.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Systems and models?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:I work with systems and models all day, every day.
A model which is right 99% of the time and throws up doozies for the remaining 1% can be more useful than one right 90% but when it’s wrong it doesn’t get it horribly wrong.

A simple explainable model can be more valuable than a complex model that’s more accurate.

Depends on what you’re doing.