Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider »

edwahu wrote:Sharks have said they won't be signing Barba. It would be nice if we found the money to go after him.
It would be nice to sign any first grade player at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: August 11, 2018, 3:01 pm
edwahu wrote:Sharks have said they won't be signing Barba. It would be nice if we found the money to go after him.

So an overweight, beer soaked, toothless bum will do ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 11, 2018, 3:01 pm

So an overweight, beer soaked, toothless bum will do ?
Yep, meets the ACT test

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Not sure about his contract status, but zac lomax has huge raps on him and hasn't been able to get run in 1sts for the dragons. He would be worth taking a gamble on.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

A few bags may get him across the line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: August 11, 2018, 8:22 pm

You reckon a bump, be in pay or whatever, might sway things?
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

magoo wrote:Not sure about his contract status, but zac lomax has huge raps on him and hasn't been able to get run in 1sts for the dragons. He would be worth taking a gamble on.

I am a big fan of Lomax but pretty sure he is contracted for next season and with Nightingale retiring and McDonald potentially moving on you would have honk he will get his start next season.
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by HJ1506 »

edwahu wrote: August 11, 2018, 2:54 pm Sharks have said they won't be signing Barba. It would be nice if we found the money to go after him.
It would definitely be worth it, but what about Wighton?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

HJ1506 wrote: August 11, 2018, 9:06 pm
edwahu wrote: August 11, 2018, 2:54 pm Sharks have said they won't be signing Barba. It would be nice if we found the money to go after him.
Centre or 5/8th. We would probably need to offload BJ to have any money to get him.

Sounds like the Cowboys will sign him anyway.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

edwahu wrote: August 11, 2018, 9:09 pm
HJ1506 wrote: August 11, 2018, 9:06 pm
Centre or 5/8th. We would probably need to offload BJ to have any money to get him.

Sounds like the Cowboys will sign him anyway.
I reckon Holmes to cows and Barba to sharks
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Pigman wrote: August 11, 2018, 8:24 pm
Brew wrote: August 11, 2018, 8:22 pm

You reckon a bump, be in pay or whatever, might sway things?
Haha. EBC forever!
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HJ1506 »

Why does everyone on this site always want to offload Leilua? I know that he has a mistake in him and plays very dumb at times, but he’s been very solid this year mostly
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

HJ1506 wrote: August 12, 2018, 12:09 pm Why does everyone on this site always want to offload Leilua? I know that he has a mistake in him and plays very dumb at times, but he’s been very solid this year mostly
Give the second rowers and been switched in and out of that right edge and Rapana generally makes the right call or is at his inside hands mercy, it is often the case that Joey is the reason that right edge leaks like a sieve and costs us games.

The needless penalties late in tackle counts also drive people mad. I don't blame him for the odd drop because he runs like rampaging bull and offloads which we need. But his lack of understanding in defence kills us. The theory is that with Cotric, Rapana and Tapine that edge will have heaps of attack anyway but be a damn sight more solid in defence. So people evaluate Joeys price tag, vs keeping Cotric (he'll have to move sooner or later vs the way to improve our team which is by shoring up the defence on the right (plus the middle, separate issue) and that is one solution.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

HJ1506 wrote: August 12, 2018, 12:09 pm Why does everyone on this site always want to offload Leilua? I know that he has a mistake in him and plays very dumb at times, but he’s been very solid this year mostly
We have too much money been spent on outside backs and they aren't going to move Croker on. Plus he struggles defensively and that's our biggest problem.
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HJ1506 »

edwahu wrote: August 12, 2018, 1:33 pm
We have too much money been spent on outside backs and they aren't going to move Croker on. Plus he struggles defensively and that's our biggest problem.
I would argue that Austin is also a part of the defensive problems, especially on that side. Leilua probably only has a couple good years left in him so I guess we just keep him until his contract is up though
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HJ1506 »

BadnMean wrote: August 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
Give the second rowers and been switched in and out of that right edge and Rapana generally makes the right call or is at his inside hands mercy, it is often the case that Joey is the reason that right edge leaks like a sieve and costs us games.

The needless penalties late in tackle counts also drive people mad. I don't blame him for the odd drop because he runs like rampaging bull and offloads which we need. But his lack of understanding in defence kills us. The theory is that with Cotric, Rapana and Tapine that edge will have heaps of attack anyway but be a damn sight more solid in defence. So people evaluate Joeys price tag, vs keeping Cotric (he'll have to move sooner or later vs the way to improve our team which is by shoring up the defence on the right (plus the middle, separate issue) and that is one solution.
For the time being he’s still around I guess. Will definitely have to go at some stage, maybe his défense will improve after Austin’s departure, will have to wait and see
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HJ1506 »

Should we have a look at George Williams from Wigan? Has to be better than Sam
schnitzel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by schnitzel »

I think if we keep him, the solution for BJ is left wing. It means breaking up Leipana, but he started his career on the wing. Simplify his game to starting sets, dummy half runs and finishing tries. Put Wighton into the right centre to tighten up the D
HJ1506
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by HJ1506 »

schnitzel wrote: August 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

I think if we keep him, the solution for BJ is left wing. It means breaking up Leipana, but he started his career on the wing. Simplify his game to starting sets, dummy half runs and finishing tries. Put Wighton into the right centre to tighten up the D
I like your thinking but breaking up Leipana saddens me haha. If it makes us a better than let’s go for it
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Not directly signing related but I noticed in typical bizzare NRL style it turns out the clubs block publishing their top 30 and the squads because they include any players they are still paying for that have left.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/10/nrl ... nsparency/

That explains why we have never got confirmation on players 29 and 30 for us.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider »

Well it would be nice to know what’s taking up all our cap if we are at the limit like Don indicates. At least knowing the top 30 gives us some knowledge who is on the books. I have no doubt we are paying for Kurt Baptiste over at the roosters

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:Not directly signing related but I noticed in typical bizzare NRL style it turns out the clubs block publishing their top 30 and the squads because they include any players they are still paying for that have left.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/10/nrl ... nsparency/

That explains why we have never got confirmation on players 29 and 30 for us.
The NRL is RIDICULOUS! Plus whatever happened to publishing aggregate TPAs for each club?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I wouldnt consider offloading bj. Imo He is not our problem. If there are concerns that we are not getting value for $ then I'd challenge anyone to state what $ he is actually on. If he is on overs then he wouldn't be alone. Paying Wighton circa 800k (as has been reported) is insane. Sure he's a good player but not elite spine quality. It's all relative and without knowing what people are actually being paid I'm not sure how people can come up with such strong views
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: August 13, 2018, 4:00 am
I wouldnt consider offloading bj. Imo He is not our problem. If there are concerns that we are not getting value for $ then I'd challenge anyone to state what $ he is actually on. If he is on overs then he wouldn't be alone. Paying Wighton circa 800k (as has been reported) is insane. Sure he's a good player but not elite spine quality. It's all relative and without knowing what people are actually being paid I'm not sure how people can come up with such strong views
I mean we have no money and a pretty poorly performed squad, so the majority would be on overs. I don't think you need to know the specifics.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:
Speak with Stuart, Wighton is our Billy Slater! Just ask him.

Look the bottom line is we need a Half and another prop. If we need to free up cash is needs to come from the backline somewhere.

Wighton is my first pick to sell, BJ would be second, Croker then Sezar.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

With all the rumours floating around that George Williams is headed to the Knights, or that they're going to switch Ponga to five-eighth to play Nick Meaney at fullback next year, I'd really like to hope we're sounding out Connor Watson.

If the Knights want to move him on to accomodate Williams or Meaney in FG we may be able to get him cheaply. He'd be an enormous upgrade on Willams and a fairly handy partner for Sezer.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Timbo wrote: August 13, 2018, 10:41 am With all the rumours floating around that George Williams is headed to the Knights, or that they're going to switch Ponga to five-eighth to play Nick Meaney at fullback next year, I'd really like to hope we're sounding out Connor Watson.

If the Knights want to move him on to accomodate Williams or Meaney in FG we may be able to get him cheaply. He'd be an enormous upgrade on Willams and a fairly handy partner for Sezer.
We arent looking at anyone. The club is happy with our recruitment and apparently according to the coach we would be in the top four if it wasnt for all the injuries this year.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Timbo wrote:With all the rumours floating around that George Williams is headed to the Knights, or that they're going to switch Ponga to five-eighth to play Nick Meaney at fullback next year, I'd really like to hope we're sounding out Connor Watson.

As a utility only. Does not belong in the halves (other than cover for injury)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Meaney signed with the dogs for next season.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sounds like Elgey is off to Manly next yr.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: August 13, 2018, 1:43 pm Meaney signed with the dogs for next season.
Yep, going with good mate Coggar
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:48 pm Sounds like Elgey is off to Manly next yr.
Was confirmed earlier today:
https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/ ... ea-eagles/
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:53 pm
Matt wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:48 pm Sounds like Elgey is off to Manly next yr.
Was confirmed earlier today:
https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/ ... ea-eagles/
Id only seen the Zero Tackle post, but cool, thanks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Would've been a good signing.