Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Sack Ricky

Post by edwahu »

Sure, but they also decided to at least partially tank two of those seasons and ended up with Ponga and a bunch of other signings we would dream about as a result. They are on the rise with a much better squad next year than us and at least the potential to have sustained success.

We just meander along with the long term trend been awful.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider »

Maybe I’m misinterpreting but are you saying they intentionally tanked 2 seasons so they could get guys like Ponga, Pearce, SKD and Guerra four years later?

I seriously doubt anybody here accept 3 wooden spoons to get a “squad on the rise” and maybe a finals spot in year 5.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Beejay »

Since Wayne has been back at the Broncos' he has finished;
2015 - 2nd (GF)
2016 - 5th
2017 - 3rd
2018 - I didn't have them in my 8 at the start of the year, don't know about everyone else. They have a heap of holes in their roster, the biggest being no halfback. It would however, be fairly ground braking for Bennett to miss the finals with the broncos, something he has never done before.

Roster wise, they haven't been in the top 2 teams in the comp since he has been back. I have no idea why the fascination with bagging Bennett is.. I just don't see the failure that others do.
edwahu

Sack Ricky

Post by edwahu »

I meant 2016 when Brown imo at least partially chose to go with picking a bunch of kids and basically stripped the squad back to nothing so they could then enter the player market for top end talent the following years.

They also have Ramien, Glasby and possibly Williams from Wigan coming next year. Plus they picked up other handy players like Moga and Ese Ese. We haven't signed a single regular NRL first grader in the same period.

I mean 3 spoons would be a kick in the balls but given we don't have a draft maybe it would be worth it if it allowed us back into the player market.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ed, that takes me back to the original comment. It’s all the result of the mess Bennett left. We’re talking worse case scenario and that is definitely the worse case IMO. I most definitely do not want to go through what Knights fans have since Bennett joined them. Even with their outlook of maybe making the finals again in 2019.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:06 am I meant 2016 when Brown imo at least partially chose to go with picking a bunch of kids and basically stripped the squad back to nothing so they could then enter the player market for top end talent the following years.

They also have Ramien, Glasby and possibly Williams from Wigan coming next year. Plus they picked up other handy players like Moga and Ese Ese. We haven't signed a single regular NRL first grader in the same period.

I mean 3 spoons would be a kick in the balls but given we don't have a draft maybe it would be worth it if it allowed us back into the player market.
It’s a fair point. Knights fans are actually hopeful that they’ll challenge in the next few years, and they may well do just that.

We’re just on the 7th-11th roundabout like we have been for the last two decades.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Timbo wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:12 pm
edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:06 am I meant 2016 when Brown imo at least partially chose to go with picking a bunch of kids and basically stripped the squad back to nothing so they could then enter the player market for top end talent the following years.

It’s a fair point. Knights fans are actually hopeful that they’ll challenge in the next few years, and they may well do just that.

We’re just on the 7th-11th roundabout like we have been for the last two decades.
We were all very hopeful going into 2017 too. This was on the back of a 2nd Place finish on the ladder. Going into this year many pundits had Eels and Cowboys in the top 4 and their fans were very hopeful too. Things don’t always pan out the way people expect. Knight fans have been living in hope of somethig better for many years now. Does any Raiders fan really want to go through what they have so we can experience more “hope”?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:36 pm
Timbo wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

We were all very hopeful going into 2017 too. This was on the back of a 2nd Place finish on the ladder. Going into this year many pundits had Eels and Cowboys in the top 4 and their fans were very hopeful too. Things don’t always pan out the way people expect. Knight fans have been living in hope of somethig better for many years now. Does any Raiders fan really want to go through what they have so we can experience more “hope”?
Not really, but I’ve never seen a sporting team accumulate so much mental scarring in such a short period of time... blow it all up.

Plenty of dead wood on overs money to take aim at
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We could finish the year with 7 straight loses.

Must work on our errors.
Must work on our discipline.

Cmon Ricky..whip em.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:We could finish the year with 7 straight loses.

Must work on our errors.
Must work on our discipline.

Cmon Ricky..whip em.
I think they should all grow beautiful beards. Then we can have achieved something this year
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

All I know is my cash out option on my $100 invested in the Raiders to win the spoon has come back alive again and offering me $30 cashout. First time it's given me a figure in almost 3 months.

Thanks Ricky.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think we'll avoid the spoon on for and against but I can't see us avoiding finishing equal last on competition points.

Edit. Don't know what ladder I was looking at. It's highly unlikely we'll finish last but two points off last place is looking likely.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on August 13, 2018, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Eels aren't winning 2/3 considering they have Melbourne, Cowboys and the Roosters

That plus their F/A means they need to win all 3

Theres a bigger chance the Knights will come last then us

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Is Ricky still here!?!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: August 13, 2018, 6:16 pm Is Ricky still here!?!
About to sign an extension. With all the speculation around other coach movements since Griffin got sacked the board have got on the front foot to make sure nobody poaches him.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 14, 2018, 7:36 am
Coastalraider wrote: August 13, 2018, 6:16 pm Is Ricky still here!?!
About to sign an extension. With all the speculation around other coach movements since Griffin got sacked the board have got on the front foot to make sure nobody poaches him.
As sad as this is, you are more than likely right on the money.
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
dlevien
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by dlevien »

Kennel wrote: August 13, 2018, 8:48 am How many more years of suffering with putting up with a lame coach ?
I’m sick of his excuses - now Ricky blames not having Hodgson earlier this year, and now without Wighton.
But what about 2017 , we had ALL our stars on deck for the majority of matches !
And it was the same results as this year, we lost all those close matches last year, so many by a couple of points ! This year nothing has changed !
Second half fades all through 2017 and now again 2018. This is the fault of the coach ! He has no idea how to motivate a team a half time !
We have a great player roster, so it all comes down to the coach !
All those years of Furner as coach, and now it’s all the same with Stuart.
Maybe we’ll get a REAL coach in Wayne Bennett ? That would certainaly boost player confidence because in Stuart there is ZERO !
Nice comments.. I do agree that Ricky does make a lot of excuses. I believe Ricky is great with the players. He is on their side, they love playing for him, he always protects them and he is expert on building a roster.

We have a history under Ricky of being a dumb football team. a lot of stupid things from the players and its happened all season long and last year too. Perhaps Hodgson needs to be captain and spread his influence more amongst the team. We need a winning mentality and we need brains.

I dont know if a new coach could do better than Ricky, however I would say that the roster we have is GROSSLY under performing when they finish 10th. Take one look at Souths and see the difference a new coach has made, or look at Melbourne's longevity or Bennett's win record. Then take a look at Ricky and he's winning percentage throughout his career. He has a habit of building good rosters and then not achieving results.

I believe the Raiders should give him one more season. Assuming we aren't decimated with injuries, we need to go deep into the finals. Anything less and the Raiders are clearly accepting mediocrity within the club.

Good luck Rick! You are a great man, I hope you will prove to be a great coach.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dlevien wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:16 amI believe Ricky is great with the players. He is on their side, they love playing for him, he always protects them and he is expert on building a roster.
That's quite an interesting perspective. I would suggest that turnover and lack of recruitment this year would indicate otherwise.

What are you basing this on?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

T_R wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:44 am
dlevien wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:16 amI believe Ricky is great with the players. He is on their side, they love playing for him, he always protects them and he is expert on building a roster.
That's quite an interesting perspective. I would suggest that turnover and lack of recruitment this year would indicate otherwise.

Of course they love playing for him.

He's the equivalent of a boss who lets you roll in at 11am with a hangover then take a long lunch.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote:

I'd say this is the case in Sticky's early tenure. It then goes downhill. History would indicate that Sticky jumps the shark after 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Timbo wrote: August 14, 2018, 11:05 am
T_R wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:44 am

Of course they love playing for him.

He's the equivalent of a boss who lets you roll in at 11am with a hangover then take a long lunch.
Bang on.

Some of the best jobs I have had didn't challenge me at all, some of the 'worst' bosses to work for challenged me to grow.

I used to work in motorsports, and the most enjoyable teams I worked in had no chance of winning, so there was no pressure to win. Some of the most stressful, high pressure environments was working 15 hour days to get the 1%ers right, because that was the difference between the podium and also rans. Which ones did I have more fun at?? easy - the slow teams. Which teams had more success - the ones that pushed you way outside of your comfort zone.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Isn't it comforting to know that Ricky probably has the 3rd safest job in the NRL...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4a76568cdc
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Raider47 wrote: August 14, 2018, 1:30 pm Isn't it comforting to know that Ricky probably has the 3rd safest job in the NRL...

This is **** infuriating. This show is starting to feel very familiar to the 2013 Furner days, around about the infamous "30 losses" quote.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I had this crazy dream where myself and a few mates were out scrub 4wding and we came across Ricky Stuart bogged down to the axels with no recovery gear and desperate for help..

I said to him " are you picking Austin, Paulo and Boyd tomorrow?"
And he said yes..

I kept driving...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Raider47 wrote: August 14, 2018, 1:30 pm Isn't it comforting to know that Ricky probably has the 3rd safest job in the NRL...

We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

-PJ- wrote: August 14, 2018, 3:31 pm I had this crazy dream where myself and a few mates were out scrub 4wding and we came across Ricky Stuart bogged down to the axels with no recovery gear and desperate for help..

And he said yes..

I kept driving...
Should've rammed him deeper into the mire
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Leebola wrote: August 14, 2018, 4:51 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 14, 2018, 3:31 pm I had this crazy dream where myself and a few mates were out scrub 4wding and we came across Ricky Stuart bogged down to the axels with no recovery gear and desperate for help..

And he said yes..

I kept driving...
Should've rammed him deeper into the mire
He probably had a perfectly good winch but refused to use it the stubborn bastard.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

It is because Don and Hawkins have the safest jobs in the ACT. Those demonstrably incompetent imbeciles have never had their appointments or retention questioned despite ****ing everything they touch.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 14, 2018, 4:56 pm

It is because Don and Hawkins have the safest jobs in the ACT. Those demonstrably incompetent imbeciles have never had their appointments or retention questioned despite ****ing everything they touch.
To be fair, Hawkins seems like a pretty good operator. He doesn't really have anything to do with the NRL side of things.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

edwahu wrote: August 14, 2018, 5:05 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: August 14, 2018, 4:56 pm

To be fair, Hawkins seems like a pretty good operator. He doesn't really have anything to do with the NRL side of things.
It's hard to be critical of Don and Sticky after years of failure while letting the guy who hires and retains them off the hook.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's the Raiders board... though the board is appointed by the owners... and I don't think Simon Hawkins is picking the board members somehow.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raider47 wrote:Isn't it comforting to know that Ricky probably has the 3rd safest job in the NRL...

Another 2 years of this **** and no doubt in 2020 we will scrape into the 8 and Ricky will get a 3 year extension.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: August 14, 2018, 6:03 pm That's the Raiders board... though the board is appointed by the owners... and I don't think Simon Hawkins is picking the board members somehow.
I guess without seeing the board minutes it would be impossible to know but I find the reality of a board that carefully considered Ricky's extension more scary than the alternative.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

This is the Raiders section:

Current coach: Ricky Stuart

Contract expires: 2020

There’s been plenty of questions asked about Canberra’s record in recent seasons, and why the club hasn’t gone further into a finals series under Ricky Stuart.

But the Raiders saw fit to extend his contract just last year, when the team was battling for form.

At the time Stuart spoke about having “stability” at the club, having also re-signed a number of key players.

Even after a disappointing 2018 there hasn’t been any rumblings out of the capital about Stuart’s position.*

It appears he’s safe.

*Clearly they haven't read this thread.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Did anyone else see the teaser for NRL360 that they would announce a coach from a struggling club exiting at the end of the season and hold a tiny little hope that they were talking about us? :opps :roll: :lol: