Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by BJ »

I’m not at the sack Ricky stage. But I’m definitely at employing an experienced assistant coach who runs the show with Ricky in a overarching role.

If Macguire or Toovey would accept this type of roll, then employ them.

I’m only at the sack Ricky if Bellamy, Trent Robinson or Seibold will replace him.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Now its confirmed the Broncos won't keep him, we should sign Bennett for a couple of years. Worst case is two years wasted, which lets face it is nothing to us, best case is a magical NRL fairytale.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I'm staggered by Stuart's post match presser. Literally all he did was sit there and make excuses. As if we're the only side in the comp that have a few out this time of year. It was amazing, even by his standards. We had 55 % possession, got beat but Rick was delighted with the 'effort'. Geez I dunno
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:Now its confirmed the Broncos won't keep him, we should sign Bennett for a couple of years. Worst case is two years wasted, which lets face it is nothing to us, best case is a magical NRL fairytale.
Where is that confirmed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

BJ wrote: August 12, 2018, 8:04 pm I’m not at the sack Ricky stage. But I’m definitely at employing an experienced assistant coach who runs the show with Ricky in a overarching role.

I’m only at the sack Ricky if Bellamy, Trent Robinson or Seibold will replace him.
He has had two experienced assistant coaches.

If you want another coach to run the show you have to keep ricky away from the footy.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Hazza wrote:I'm staggered by Stuart's post match presser. Literally all he did was sit there and make excuses. As if we're the only side in the comp that have a few out this time of year. It was amazing, even by his standards. We had 55 % possession, got beat but Rick was delighted with the 'effort'. Geez I dunno
I love how he said I’m not making excuses but then he went on to make excuses Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

BJ wrote:I’m not at the sack Ricky stage. But I’m definitely at employing an experienced assistant coach who runs the show with Ricky in a overarching role.

Problem is Ricky won’t employ a Toovey or Macguire cause they are threats to take his job. That’s why he takes the safe options like Brett White.
Let’s face it we all know it will be McFadden who is going to replace Crawley.

He also need to get a hard ar$e new trainer. Nigel Two Dads is done. We look unfit and slow.

In Ricky We Trust
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Brew wrote: August 12, 2018, 9:00 pm
BJ wrote:I’m not at the sack Ricky stage. But I’m definitely at employing an experienced assistant coach who runs the show with Ricky in a overarching role.

Problem is Ricky won’t employ a Toovey or Macguire cause they are threats to take his job. That’s why he takes the safe options like Brett White.
Let’s face it we all know it will be McFadden who is going to replace Crawley.

He also need to get a hard ar$e new trainer. Nigel Two Dads is done. We look unfit and slow.

Bring back Alex Corvo. He's done a job at the Warriors from all reports
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2018, 8:49 pm
edwahu wrote:Now its confirmed the Broncos won't keep him, we should sign Bennett for a couple of years. Worst case is two years wasted, which lets face it is nothing to us, best case is a magical NRL fairytale.
Where is that confirmed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe went off a bit early saying its confirmed, but it is very close to done.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGarry7/status/ ... 9819604992
Last edited by edwahu on August 12, 2018, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You've lost me Stick..
I'm not liking you right now.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Brew wrote:
Hazza wrote:I'm staggered by Stuart's post match presser. Literally all he did was sit there and make excuses. As if we're the only side in the comp that have a few out this time of year. It was amazing, even by his standards. We had 55 % possession, got beat but Rick was delighted with the 'effort'. Geez I dunno
I love how he said I’m not making excuses but then he went on to make excuses Image

Yep and he is really happy with the effort but don’t worry about the few missed tackles and poor defensive reads. The players are all playing for the jersey and the fans and that’s all that matters.

It’s bum pats all round. Don happy!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Does anybody get the sick feeling that we might turn back to Furner if Stuart does get dumped/walks, or is it just me?

I can just hear the **** sounds bites now: he's learned a lot, grown, matured, different approach etc etc.

Might sound a bit far fetched but I seriously would not put it past them.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

afgtnk wrote:Does anybody get the sick feeling that we might turn back to Furner if Stuart does get dumped/walks, or is it just me?

I can just hear the **** sounds bites now: he's learned a lot, grown, matured, different approach etc etc.

Oh, dear God.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 12, 2018, 9:25 pm Does anybody get the sick feeling that we might turn back to Furner if Stuart does get dumped/walks, or is it just me?

Furner, Daley, woolford, Campese, White... at that point who honestly cares?
I wouldnt put appointing any old boy beyond them
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Sack Ricky

Post by LastRaider »

afgtnk wrote:Does anybody get the sick feeling that we might turn back to Furner if Stuart does get dumped/walks, or is it just me?

It has crossed my mind and it would be a Raiders thing to do

EDIT
Stuart will then go to Head Of Football as Furner would be the only one desperate enough for a head coach position to work under Stuart.
Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on August 12, 2018, 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dear Ricky,

Best Regards,

Every Raiders fan.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I swear, this is going to happen :lol:

It has Canberra Raiders written all over it
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

afgtnk wrote: August 12, 2018, 9:25 pm Does anybody get the sick feeling that we might turn back to Furner if Stuart does get dumped/walks, or is it just me?

We'll probably end up with Jason Taylor
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Germs Huddersfield beat St Helens last night. The odds of him getting the gig shorten each week.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

edwahu wrote: August 12, 2018, 9:55 pm Germs Huddersfield beat St Helens last night. The odds of him getting the gig shorten each week.

He is 11-1 with a 92% win record so it is looking good. :lol:
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

They should just give Crawley the job
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

dubby wrote: August 12, 2018, 11:18 am Red, when he was roosters coach they were the best defensive team in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He left there in 2006 though Dubs. The game has evolved a lot since then. He has had five years of player recruitment to get the squad he wants. He does not appear to coach ill-discipline out of his players. Hence we see the efforts of BJ and Austin constantly letting their team mates down.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: August 12, 2018, 8:16 pm Now its confirmed the Broncos won't keep him, we should sign Bennett for a couple of years. Worst case is two years wasted, which lets face it is nothing to us, best case is a magical NRL fairytale.
I think worse case is what happened to the Knights.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 12, 2018, 12:50 pm His Sharks teams were known for their gritty defense and uninspiring attack. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
The game has changed Doc. The shoulder charge has gone, the punch has gone, ripping stitches out of opponents is no longer acceptable. The game has moved on from the days when a side could put on a stink to break the attacking momentum of the opposition and have no game changing (player in the bin) consequences. The usual ill-disciplined suspects were at it again yesterday - BJ and Austin. BJ put us behind the 8 ball, then Austin did his WWE impersonation, followed by his 'look at me, look at me' nothing play. Sticky appears unwilling/unable to bring defensive structure to the side. I know his contract means he will be here for the next 2 years, but any Board concerned with on field performance and retaining sponsors would move him on.
Last edited by RedRaider on August 13, 2018, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I saw him mentioned somewhere as being part of the current coaching merry-go-round, likely to take over from Siebold at Souths if he went to the Broncos.

Absolutely I imagine he'd be a great shot at getting the gig here.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Not as a Head Coach - we are all over listening to the 'little things' weekly dribble - but as an assistant coach he at least has some form. He was part of the NQ premiership winning coaching team. The past two years he has been with Souths and with a change in direction from the new Head Coach there, he is again part of coaching a side which is a Premiership threat.

The only question is: Do we think he would be an upgrade on Brett White?

But Sticky, due to that now infamous contract extension, still has the reins for the next 2 years.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:00 am
edwahu wrote: August 12, 2018, 8:16 pm Now its confirmed the Broncos won't keep him, we should sign Bennett for a couple of years. Worst case is two years wasted, which lets face it is nothing to us, best case is a magical NRL fairytale.
Is that really much worse than where we usually end up?
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Get rid of him, im over the press conferences where he just sits there and makes excuses and whinges and then claims its not excuses and whinging, im over him having no idea what how to use his bench productively, im over him picking paulo when he is lazy and overweight and wont be here next year, im over him picking boyd when hes beyomd useless, im sick of him picking austin to do the same dummy run dummy run dummy run that he does every game, im sick of us being so illdisciplined that we have austin trying to do a jacknife powerbomb on opponents, im sick of bj doing dumb dumb things. Im just sick of it all really.
I need a lie down.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Kennel
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Kennel »

How many more years of suffering with putting up with a lame coach ?
I’m sick of his excuses - now Ricky blames not having Hodgson earlier this year, and now without Wighton.
But what about 2017 , we had ALL our stars on deck for the majority of matches !
And it was the same results as this year, we lost all those close matches last year, so many by a couple of points ! This year nothing has changed !
Second half fades all through 2017 and now again 2018. This is the fault of the coach ! He has no idea how to motivate a team a half time !
We have a great player roster, so it all comes down to the coach !
All those years of Furner as coach, and now it’s all the same with Stuart.
Maybe we’ll get a REAL coach in Wayne Bennett ? That would certainaly boost player confidence because in Stuart there is ZERO !
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

RedRaider wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:42 am Not as a Head Coach - we are all over listening to the 'little things' weekly dribble - but as an assistant coach he at least has some form. He was part of the NQ premiership winning coaching team. The past two years he has been with Souths and with a change in direction from the new Head Coach there, he is again part of coaching a side which is a Premiership threat.

The only question is: Do we think he would be an upgrade on Brett White?

But Sticky, due to that now infamous contract extension, still has the reins for the next 2 years.
I certainly wouldn't want to see him back. But it's absolutely well within the realms of possibility with this club.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Injuries are officially this year's excuse

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/injuri ... 4zx3o.html

Even though we have used the least amount of players in the comp.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

ImAgInE tHe StorMS wIThoUt BiLly sLaTeR !!

Like in 2016 when they made the GF....
GTFO with your pissweak excuses.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Beejay wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:05 am ImAgInE tHe StorMS wIThoUt BiLly sLaTeR !!

Like in 2016 when they made the GF....
GTFO with your pissweak excuses.
To be fair Jackie Boi is twice the player Billy is...

:roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:50 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:00 am
Is that really much worse than where we usually end up?
Well yeah. Knights got the spoon 3 years running after he left.

Wasn’t all Bennett of course, as they were fairly well screwed over by Tinkler as well. Bennett sure didn’t help their cause though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think time's up for Wayne. He doesn't know how to coach a side in 2018.

With the roster he has and all of the leg-ups in recruiting, sponsorship, TPA's, huge home crowd support every week, every 50/50 call from the refs and knowing you've got 20 of your games on a Thursday or Friday - and they're still only in the eight because of multiple games where dodgy officiating has snared them a win.

They're staring down the barrel of running 9th and letting the Tigers jump them. Bennett deserves to get the sack, and he's well and truly past his prime by any measure.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.