All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Sack Don Furner

Post by afgtnk »

Why no thread on this **** EDIT?

Why is that the CEO of every other organisation on the planet comes under the spotlight and he doesn't?

When is he ever responsible for anything? 10 years and what does he have to show?

Right now what he's got is a salary cap that we quietly know has been **** beyond belief and it has his incompetent finger prints all over it.

For the love of Mark **** Asbock sack EDIT and send him back to manage shifts at Queanbeyan Leagues where he belongs.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Sack Don Furner

Post by -TW- »

Burner Furner? Not quite as catchy as Oust Doust
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Move On Don!!!!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

And Flick Stick!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He’s gotta go along with Stuart and Mulholland
The ceo picked to replace him needs a total clean slate
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

I agree with pigman, the whole lot have to go.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Pigman wrote:He’s gotta go along with Stuart and Mulholland
The ceo picked to replace him needs a total clean slate
100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Is there another Furner son somewhere? Maybe a grandson who could be quickly groomed for the role?

Jong-un Furner 만세 !

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

It is no coincidence that the teams who are contenders year after year are the ones who have the best CEO’s. Burn it to the ground salt the earth!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

The whole lot, from the Chair of the Board down to the coaching staff, needs to be nuked and rebuilt. Quarantining Bonehead as much as possible from the process is a must if we're ever to get out of this crap-filled hole of mediocrity.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Sack Don Furner

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Don is **** useless **** and should have been sacked 5 years ago.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

To me he's the very emblem of what's wrong with this club.

Came into the job under qualified and only by virtue of his surname.

Been here for 10 years and I can't recall a single signature achievement of his to note. No vision, no energy, no passion, no leadership. A nondescript bore who's level is no higher than to keep something ticking along without ever significantly improving it.

Clubs like the Cronulla **** Sharks, for decades a joke of the competition, stuck in a complete **** heap, go out and recruit one of the best sports administrators in Lyall Gorman who turns them right around. We still stick with old Teflon Don.

It seems no matter what happens to us, the guy manages to escape any kind of significant scrutiny or pressure.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Certainly there's momentum building here, for what it's worth. But while membership numbers continue to rise, I think Don will have a semi-credible shield against any attempts to winkle him out.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

The board shouldn't be let off the hook either.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

What's the link between rising memberships and expenditure on membership advertising
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

As in, have the Raiders got bang for their buck with membership numbers vs advertising dollars spent? No idea. Happy for figures if you or anyone else has them. I'd hazard a guess and say they've probably got a reasonable return, but that's based on nothing more than a gut feeling.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Sack Don Furner

Post by LastRaider »

I’ll tell you were I’m at. If there is no change to coaching and management next year, I’m voting with not renewing my membership. I’ll still support but won’t be a member and will probably attend less games

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hahahaha hey hey! How's this guy travelling.

Old Donny Boy, ol' Teflon Don.

As long as he's happy and comfortable, receiving a nice wage, and carrying out the time honoured Queanbeyan tradition of changing the next born-to be CEO's nappies - that's the main thing, really.
andymull72
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by andymull72 »

He is way past his expiry date and when he goes take the Defence coach with him
Believe you must yes Believe
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nuke the site from orbit
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Guys guys. The way it seems to work in the NRL is as follows:
If you want to get rid of the coach you put pressure on the CEO. If you want to get rid of the CEO you put pressure on the Board. If you want to get rid of the Board the members have to vote them out.... hang on...
Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

You know who would've got the shock of their lives back in the day?

The lovely old patrons of the Queanbeyan Leagues Club (although my understanding is that it is still THE spot in town).

Would've rocked up one day to find that the lovely bloke behind the bar who had been pulling their beers for so many years was no longer, as he had just risen the ranks to become the CEO of the Canberra Raiders.

Poof, gone - just like that. How's that for career progression and ambition eh?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sadly I agree with this.

For way, way too long it’s been a boys club seemingly happy as long as their spot in the competition isn’t threatened.

I have the biggest disconnect with the club (and the game really) that I’ve ever had.

The thing that has really irked me into a solid apathy has been the rise of Brett White. Coaching staff and assistants are now more important than they have ever been and the club just handed the role to the local nice guy. Like Furner before him I guess. But seriously (I won’t mention his days as a player because that has me at odds with most here) to me has has no credentials. The NYC team absolutely bombed under his coaching. Structure was deadset non existent in games I saw towards the end of his tenure. That was pretty much the final straw for the current set up for me.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's gotta go. Him and everyone else who got their job because of connections to the McIntyre family.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

16 years in charge I believe.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You don't just sack a guy with a BA from the University of New England! They don't just grow on trees, you know!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:09 pm You don't just sack a guy with a BA from the University of New England! They don't just grow on trees, you know!
You do when you have an elected Queanbeyan member of council ready in the rings to take over...
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

andymull72 wrote: August 12, 2018, 5:49 pm He is way past his expiry date and when he goes take the Defence coach with him
Nah man, it's Mick Crawley, one of the best attacking coaches going, but for reasons known only to the Raiders heirarchy, has been slotted in as defence coach. Put him back where he belongs. The rest can go.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Leebola wrote:
andymull72 wrote: August 12, 2018, 5:49 pm He is way past his expiry date and when he goes take the Defence coach with him
Nah man, it's Mick Crawley, one of the best attacking coaches going, but for reasons known only to the Raiders heirarchy, has been slotted in as defence coach. Put him back where he belongs. The rest can go.
Mick crawley is leaving apparently

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: August 12, 2018, 6:23 pm Sadly I agree with this.

For way, way too long it’s been a boys club seemingly happy as long as their spot in the competition isn’t threatened.

I have the biggest disconnect with the club (and the game really) that I’ve ever had.

The thing that has really irked me into a solid apathy has been the rise of Brett White. Coaching staff and assistants are now more important than they have ever been and the club just handed the role to the local nice guy. Like Furner before him I guess. But seriously (I won’t mention his days as a player because that has me at odds with most here) to me has has no credentials. The NYC team absolutely bombed under his coaching. Structure was deadset non existent in games I saw towards the end of his tenure. That was pretty much the final straw for the current set up for me.
Could not agree more with this. The appointment of White, with no clear recruitment process, is the perfect embodiment of everything wrong with the club. We could get away with having Stuart if we had two great assistants picking up the slack. The other loss which really hurt was David Hamilton.

Doing things in a professional manner where people are accountable and hired on credentials does not guarantee success, but it clearly maximises the chance. The administrators and management need skin in the game. There is currently zero downside for poor performance.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Leebola wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:17 pm
THIS. Yes this.

And more of this. Crawley is the only bloke i'd keep.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:09 pm You don't just sack a guy with a BA from the University of New England! They don't just grow on trees, you know!
tbh i turned down ANU to go to UNE, good fun uni.

in any event, I agree with thread title, just not with T_R's lovely charmer of a post.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

bonehead wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:41 pm
Leebola wrote:
Mick crawley is leaving apparently

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LOL, the one bloke you WOULD keep... Keep 'em coming, Raiders
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Also, comments are open on this one: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zwzz.html

Get in and have your say, I don't recall many Raiders related CT articles being open for comment (happy to be corrected though)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Nobody beyond Canberra fans would know who our CEO is. So everything just trucks along and Don keeps cashing those cheques.