Anthony Griffin

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Anthony Griffin

Post by papabear »

Just watched him on NRL 360, I thought he seemed like a genuine and honest fellow when it came to building the club from within and building up the junior base and turning that into NRL players.

We could do worse then looking at him.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Anthony Griffin

Post by zim »

A lot of Broncos and panthers fans are quite happy he's no longer their coach. The panthers defense has also been an issue.
I'd rather look at someone else.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

papabear wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:12 pm Just watched him on NRL 360, I thought he seemed like a genuine and honest fellow when it came to building the club from within and building up the junior base and turning that into NRL players.

I think what he said sounded great, but some of it doesn't quite add up to me. On the one hand, he says that Cleary and Gould had the club in a shambles when he got there with no junior structures, but they won the NYC for 2 years prior. Plus he then goes on to wrap Cleary at the end of the interview.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Everything I've heard about him suggests he's stubborn, doesn't listen to his players or assistants and his game plans would've been great in 1985 but are well and truly behind the times now.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I'd take a stale potato at this point, but you lot are deluded if you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Stuart!

And Timbo, you may have 'heard' that his game plans are out of 1985 but they're sitting 5th for goodness sake!
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Zip Zip wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:41 pm I'd take a stale potato at this point, but you lot are deluded if you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Stuart!

And Timbo, you may have 'heard' that his game plans are out of 1985 but they're sitting 5th for goodness sake!
Yes, they're in fifth. And they still fired him.

If you're running last, and you get sacked it's obvious why. If you're finals bound and you get sacked there's clearly something else going on.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zip Zip wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:41 pm I'd take a stale potato at this point, but you lot are deluded if you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Stuart!

Why is the only choice Griffin or Stuart? For goodness sake!
Excluding one doesn't mean you have to settle on the other.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

Enlighten me as to where I said we should make the choice between only Stuart or Griffin?
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

edwahu wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:19 pm
papabear wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:12 pm Just watched him on NRL 360, I thought he seemed like a genuine and honest fellow when it came to building the club from within and building up the junior base and turning that into NRL players.

I think what he said sounded great, but some of it doesn't quite add up to me. On the one hand, he says that Cleary and Gould had the club in a shambles when he got there with no junior structures, but they won the NYC for 2 years prior. Plus he then goes on to wrap Cleary at the end of the interview.
He said they had great juniors but no structure to turn them into mentally tough FG players.
raider 4 life
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zip Zip wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:50 pm Enlighten me as to where I said we should make the choice between only Stuart or Griffin?
It's a pretty reasonable conclusion to arrive at considering your dismayed posting at people not thinking he'd be an upgrade over Stuart when no one said he wouldn't be.
No one even mentioned Stuart until you did. Only that they didn't want Griffin.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

I have no idea what you're arguing about here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No thanks.

I was impressed by his interview, as he really called out the spin merchant Phil Gould.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Timbo wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

If you're running last, and you get sacked it's obvious why. If you're finals bound and you get sacked there's clearly something else going on.
Bingo.

I watched both the 360 interview in full and listened to Gus's podcast in full. I don't believe either are telling the full truth and both are lying to themselves but that's just my read. Hire him for all I care, wouldn't make any difference anyway. The rot in this club runs far deeper than the coach.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Timbo wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:24 pm Image

Everything I've heard about him suggests he's stubborn, doesn't listen to his players or assistants and his game plans would've been great in 1985 but are well and truly behind the times now.
So like Ricky Stuart with better recent results.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2018, 4:26 pm No thanks.

I was impressed by his interview, as he really called out the spin merchant Phil Gould.
As they say it's better to be a has been than a never was. I think the Panthers are sitting where they are because of their roster not because of anything Griffin had done.

Gould should have just come out and said we want Ivan back because we want to keep Nathan, instead of all this other nonsense.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would take anyone to replace Stuart, but on that list of anyone, Griffen would struggle to make my top 10 candidates
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

I actually can't believe the media around Griffin today...his interview was reserved, honest and completely measured but all the headlines are talking about 'slamming' Gus, and his interview being 'damaging'. I hope the footy gods gift Nathan to the Tigers and Ivan stays, Gus/Penrith's actions have been deplorable and its without a doubt a desperate ploy to keep Nathan. No Griffin here, maybe in 2020, honestly Stick is under so much pressure next year i think he'll pull through in a spectacular top 3 way, its gonna be entertaining either way. Yes, i'm a little cRaZy.
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Timbo wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Yeah and that something else is someone called Nathan who wants to play for his Dad. I doubt Griffin gets sacked at this point if the kid had nothing to do with it.

I'm with Pig, Griffin is not in my top 10 to take over but we're that desperate for change that i'd jump at it and deal with the consequences later.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd take Griffin over Stuart but I'm sure there are better options.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Timbo wrote:

Ivan Cleary, to keep Nathan.

That is why. If Nathan wasn't wanting to leave to play for Dad, Hook still has a job.

Anyone that thinks differently is kidding themselves.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Timbo wrote: August 9, 2018, 3:24 pm Image

So like Ricky Stuart with better recent results.
Hahaha I was about to post the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd rather his brother Peter..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I love the fact we have made the finals once in six years but think we're in a spot to turn our nose up at these coaches that make the finals year after year.

Of course we should look at him, like we should look at any potentially interested candidate. Casting our net about 5 metres from the front door of HQ is how we've wound up with our last two spectacularly unsuccessful appointments.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The reality is we can be picky
If we sacked our **** coach, we’d have a job that is one of only 16 open and there is probably 30 people looking to fill one of those 16 spots

Yes we should look at Griffin and if the right people are in charge I would suggest it would be a quick look as there are better options available

But it’s all semantics. Ricky isn’t going anywhere
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

No.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Nope. 0 Points to leaving the Griffin door open.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Zip Zip wrote: August 9, 2018, 4:25 pm I have no idea what you're arguing about here.
Huh? You asked me for an explanation for what I wrote and I gave it. No idea why you were expecting an argument in it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Pigman wrote: August 10, 2018, 7:36 am The reality is we can be picky
If we sacked our **** coach, we’d have a job that is one of only 16 open and there is probably 30 people looking to fill one of those 16 spots

Yes we should look at Griffin and if the right people are in charge I would suggest it would be a quick look as there are better options available

In a perfect world yes. I don't remember the top candidates available at the time smashing down our door in 06 08 or 2013 though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:I'd rather his brother Peter..
Love it PJ.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

In a perfect world yes. I don't remember the top candidates available at the time smashing down our door in 06 08 or 2013 though.
As Piggy points out. Vacancies for NRL head coach come up once or twice a year. Of those probably half already have a preferred candidate before the vacancy is announced.

If Ricky stepped aside and there was no succession plan already in place, we'd receive plenty of interest. Probably not a lot from current NRL coaches but there'd be more than enough quality candidates to make it a competitive process.

I just hope when it does happen they have an entirely different group of people doing the interviews to the ones who thought Ricky's 2017 performance was deserving of an upgrade.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:Nope. 0 Points to leaving the Griffin door open.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 10, 2018, 4:26 pm

As Piggy points out. Vacancies for NRL head coach come up once or twice a year. Of those probably half already have a preferred candidate before the vacancy is announced.

If Ricky stepped aside and there was no succession plan already in place, we'd receive plenty of interest. Probably not a lot from current NRL coaches but there'd be more than enough quality candidates to make it a competitive process.

I just hope when it does happen they have an entirely different group of people doing the interviews to the ones who thought Ricky's 2017 performance was deserving of an upgrade.
It would be a massive change from the club's previous coaching recrutiment drives.

You can have all the candidates in the world. The Raiders will just look for the next bloke from the boys club to give a shot. Brett White?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hmmm...

So vacancies for NRL Head coaches are less common than vacancies in NRL coaches’ heads.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 10, 2018, 6:41 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: August 10, 2018, 4:26 pm

It would be a massive change from the club's previous coaching recrutiment drives.

You can have all the candidates in the world. The Raiders will just look for the next bloke from the boys club to give a shot. Brett White?
Of all the ex-Raiders who would potentially throw their hat in the ring, White would be my least favourite.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

if they gave the job to Brett White, that might ACTUALLY, for real be the end for me.
I mean probably not, but boy i'd go **** close to just throwing it in with this club