Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by bonehead »

EJ wrote:
-PJ- wrote:When I was a young man I could run 5k in 17mins..no carp.
Today I couldn't drive it.

I'm not unfit, I'm not even overweight, I'm just in a who cares mode...
Wow. When is the last time you ran?

Sounds like you've got it in you to wipe the floor with any of us.
Peej is an impressive human

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

EJ wrote: June 3, 2018, 10:02 pm

I haven't ran anywhere since giving footy away in 1999.

The 17min 5000m was part of a basic fitness test which included push ups(60), situps(100) and chin ups(15).

There was a 23min cut off for the 5k. If you couldn't run 5k in under 23mins they found you alternate employment within defence.

Now that I think back, I was a fairly good middle distance runner. Plenty of zone/regional/state rep during high school which carried on I spose. Played rugby league for Ingleburn RSL while serving along with Army rugby(hated it but got to smash Navy/Airforce girls).
Last edited by -PJ- on June 4, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: June 4, 2018, 6:58 am
EJ wrote:

Peej is an impressive human

You're too kind boney... :lol:
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

You should give something a go, PJ! Try a short fun run event or something. The training for it might ignite the beast again.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

EJ wrote: June 6, 2018, 3:50 pm You should give something a go, PJ! Try a short fun run event or something. The training for it might ignite the beast again.
Mate..please.

In short..no. If I ever run again it will be -
A. From a burning building.
B. To avoid being hit by a car.
C. To chase the prick who keeps stealing my thongs from my front verandah.

I have so much saved up energy, I'm ready to run just need something above to happen.

Thanks for the advice EJ..
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ, I saw your Strava session from the weekend - your a nutter!

How did it go??
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

Previous years, the event has been labelled the Aussie Titles. This is the first year under the OCRWC banner, which has until now only held events in the Northern Hemisphere. It was definitely a much more competitive field than ever, with quite a few internationals competing.

I came 38th overall out of about 250ish.

Despite what Strava and my GPS say, I officially ran 104.4km, which is a new distance PB for me. I can only assume my watch in Ultratrac mode cut out a lot of corners.

Anyway, I pretty much hated about 80% of my time out there. It was a bloody long night that was filled with heavy fog and many camp fires scattered across the course that bellowed smoke that didn't seem to dissipate because of all the fog. I did 6 of my 9 laps in the dark, and I got really sick of it.

After 5 laps and except before my final lap, I started taking 10 minute lay down breaks in my tent.

I also didn't do myself favours as I kept forgetting to take my gels out with me and only remembered for my final lap. So I did about 19 hours on Tailwind alone, plus I think maybe 3 Clif Bars. Once I got a caffeinated gel into me though, boy it I felt good. I ran my final lap faster than my previous 4.

Still, it's a great social event. Real down to earth and I'll probably do it again.

I am all but confirmed for World's Toughest Mudder in Atlanta in November. I earnt contender status with my 6 laps at Toughest Mudder South East QLD a few weeks back. So that will be a real bucket list event ticked if I can make it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

Previous years, the event has been labelled the Aussie Titles. This is the first year under the OCRWC banner, which has until now only held events in the Northern Hemisphere. It was definitely a much more competitive field than ever, with quite a few internationals competing.

Despite what Strava and my GPS say, I officially ran 104.4km, which is a new distance PB for me. I can only assume my watch in Ultratrac mode cut out a lot of corners.

Anyway, I pretty much hated about 80% of my time out there. It was a bloody long night that was filled with heavy fog and many camp fires scattered across the course that bellowed smoke that didn't seem to dissipate because of all the fog. I did 6 of my 9 laps in the dark, and I got really sick of it.

After 5 laps and except before my final lap, I started taking 10 minute lay down breaks in my tent.

I also didn't do myself favours as I kept forgetting to take my gels out with me and only remembered for my final lap. So I did about 19 hours on Tailwind alone, plus I think maybe 3 Clif Bars. Once I got a caffeinated gel into me though, boy it I felt good. I ran my final lap faster than my previous 4.

Still, it's a great social event. Real down to earth and I'll probably do it again.

I am all but confirmed for World's Toughest Mudder in Atlanta in November. I earnt contender status with my 6 laps at Toughest Mudder South East QLD a few weeks back. So that will be a real bucket list event ticked if I can make it.
Argh. Those 24 hour ones have never appealed to me
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I definitely wondered what the appeal was many times during the race.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: June 14, 2018, 6:04 pm Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

That sounds like a bloody horrible night mate...

WTM in Atlanta will be one hell of an experience though!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Re: Health and fitnessa

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 3, 2018, 4:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:58 pm Managed to knock a couple of minutes off the PB today at the Christchurch half marathon finishing in 1hr25. Pretty happy with that the only downside being both the half and full Marathons were won by bloody Australians :D
Bloody hell thats fast mate - well done!!

Ive got Gold Coast marathon coming up at the end of the month, so I need to get my run legs back!
My goal for the GC Half is sub 1:30. Did a half today (Queensland Half) and could not get sub 1:40. Seems that my solid diet of takeaway and ice cream isn't working for me. I'm reevaluating my goal.
How did you go on the weekend Doc? I had a mate run a PB on the half -- a bloody 1.11.57 to come 35th overall. Mind boggling time...

I had a messed up lead in - by he time I confirmed with our client what they were doing for the Race Expo and confirmed I was going, the Marathon sold out! So I entered the half and was just doing short runs in the lead up to prepare. Then on the Tuesday of race week they released an additional 100 tickets to the big dance, so I grabbed one. Problem was, I hadn't run over about 12k in the last month! So I blew out pretty hard from 23k, and grunted through the back half, but still ran a 10 minute PB. That says more about how bad my other Marathons were than anything!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitnessa

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 3, 2018, 4:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:58 pm Managed to knock a couple of minutes off the PB today at the Christchurch half marathon finishing in 1hr25. Pretty happy with that the only downside being both the half and full Marathons were won by bloody Australians :D
Bloody hell thats fast mate - well done!!

Ive got Gold Coast marathon coming up at the end of the month, so I need to get my run legs back!
My goal for the GC Half is sub 1:30. Did a half today (Queensland Half) and could not get sub 1:40. Seems that my solid diet of takeaway and ice cream isn't working for me. I'm reevaluating my goal.
How did you go on the weekend Doc? I had a mate run a PB on the half -- a bloody 1.11.57 to come 35th overall. Mind boggling time...

I had a messed up lead in - by he time I confirmed with our client what they were doing for the Race Expo and confirmed I was going, the Marathon sold out! So I entered the half and was just doing short runs in the lead up to prepare. Then on the Tuesday of race week they released an additional 100 tickets to the big dance, so I grabbed one. Problem was, I hadn't run over about 12k in the last month! So I blew out pretty hard from 23k, and grunted through the back half, but still ran a 10 minute PB. That says more about how bad my other Marathons were than anything!
Noice. That must have been pretty satisfying.

My aim at the beginning of the year was sub 1:30, but it became apparent 4-6 weeks ago that wasn't going to happen. My goal on race day was sub 1:40 and I ran a 1:38:30 with a fair bit in the tank. It was about 5 minutes slower than last year. I was pretty happy with the effort on the day, particularly given I'd gone to the game the night before and had eaten half a metre of pizza. I was just disappointed in not being at the fitness level I needed to be. Work, three viruses, a diet of pizza and Asian take away and general laziness meant that I was about 5kg heavier than last year.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I hate running. I really do.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'm hearing ya dub...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I really enjoy running. I have some really nice trails near where I live - 10 minutes jog and all I see is the Brindabellas and no houses. Plug in some music and run for an hour or so.

But alas I hurt my knee back in Feb/Mar and haven't been able to run since then. It was slowly getting better so last weekend I went for a really light jog. 100m jog, 100m walk for about 2/3 kms. I've been in agony since - it feels like fluid on the back of my knee. I have an MRI next week. It sucks.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:I really enjoy running. I have some really nice trails near where I live - 10 minutes jog and all I see is the Brindabellas and no houses. Plug in some music and run for an hour or so.

But alas I hurt my knee back in Feb/Mar and haven't been able to run since then. It was slowly getting better so last weekend I went for a really light jog. 100m jog, 100m walk for about 2/3 kms. I've been in agony since - it feels like fluid on the back of my knee. I have an MRI next week. It sucks.
Two years now for me :(

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote: August 3, 2018, 6:14 am
gergreg wrote:I really enjoy running. I have some really nice trails near where I live - 10 minutes jog and all I see is the Brindabellas and no houses. Plug in some music and run for an hour or so.

Yeah I remember you were planning a few marathons a few years ago. Did you do a MCL?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:

Yeah I remember you were planning a few marathons a few years ago. Did you do a MCL?
Yep. Very hard to get back into it now.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

T_R wrote: August 3, 2018, 12:55 pm
gergreg wrote:

Yep. Very hard to get back into it now.
Any interest in Cycling TR??
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Have you tried running, TR?

I was out for 11 months, then went to see the specialist to tell him I still can't run. He said "have you tried?". I lied and said yes, but I hadn't :lol: Then I did and found out I could.

It was a slow start and it involved me changing my running style completely. I now run with a forefoot/midfoot strike instead of heel strike and it's made all the difference. I run in 0-6mm drop shoes which promote forefoot/midfoot striking. My calves went through hell for a couple months, but in the following 12 months I ended up setting PBs all over the shop and have recently set a new distance PB when I told myself my ultra days were likely over.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Don't know if the Doc is still lurking but I got my results back tonight. I'll be seeing my GP maybe next week to find out whether I need surgery or what???? I guess it could have been worse so maybe all I need is to rest it for longer?

There is a radial tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. This involves the meniscal apex but does not extend to the meniscocapsular attachment. There are no displaced meniscal fragments.

The lateral meniscus is normal. The collateral and cruciate ligaments are intact.

There is mild bone marrow oedema of the posterior aspect of the medial tibial plateau adjacent to the region of the meniscal tear. No bone marrow oedema is seen elsewhere. Articular cartilage is of normal thickness and signal characteristics. There is no significant knee joint effusion.

There is oedema of the superficial aspect of the medial gastrocnaemius muscle at and inferior to the popliteal fossa. This is consistent with a small grade 1 myofascial tear. The muscle origin remains normal. Periarticular muscles and tendons elsewhere are unremarkable.

Comment
Radial tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. Small (grade 1) myofascial tear of medial gastrocnaemius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A posterior horn of the medial meniscus doesn't sound good.

Bone marrow oedema of the posterior aspect of the medial tibial plateau doesn't sound good either!

Myofascial team of medial gastrocnaemius... :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Great, now the gh has it's own Dr Healy
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2018, 9:01 pm A posterior horn of the medial meniscus doesn't sound good.

Bone marrow oedema of the posterior aspect of the medial tibial plateau doesn't sound good either!

From a quick Google search I think the 'oedema' is fluid on the knee which I could feel. I'm just hoping not to have surgery. I've already got a cornea transplant coming up next February.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: August 8, 2018, 9:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2018, 9:01 pm A posterior horn of the medial meniscus doesn't sound good.

From a quick Google search I think the 'oedema' is fluid on the knee which I could feel. I'm just hoping not to have surgery. I've already got a cornea transplant coming up next February.
I really hope you don’t have to have extra surgery gerg!

And best of luck with the eye surgery.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thanks GE. My eye has been pretty bad for a few years so despite the potential risks with the surgery I'm looking forward to better vision. No pun intended.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Bloody hell mate, I hope you can avoid the surgery, but remember that if you do require it, it’s because that’s the best long term solution.

Keep us updated!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We all know how to use google GE.....
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sounds ouchy Gergreg
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 9, 2018, 8:09 am Sounds ouchy Gergreg
:lol: is that your professional diagnosis?

Doesn't actually hurt that much but not being able to run is turning me into a fat irritable bastard, even more so than usual.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Meniscus is cartilage, therefore has poor healing potential. Not really my area, but back when my knowledge was a bit more broad they used to do arthroscopy and tidy it up. Not sure the evidence suggests that is that helpful. Worth seeing a surgeon who is relatively conservative for a more balanced opinion, rather than someone who scopes everyone.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Doc. Would this be an instance where I'd wear one of those 'moon boot' type moulds on the leg to limit the movement?

My GP showed me his skeleton knee and gave a pretty good overview of the knee.

I'm assuming a 'grade 1' is the least worst on the scale?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Grade 1 is the best. No moonboot and I wouldn't have thought a brace either
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GP gave me the option of being referred to a surgeon and I decided to just wait and see how it feels over the next few months. The discomfort seems a bit less each day. I don't know if that is because I'm getting used to it or just because I'm not stressing it. I still do tai chi everyday which involves balancing on one leg and my balance and strength seems to be improving. Not sure if I'll run again? Just out of curiosity I might go see a traditional Chinese doctor I know.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The management of meniscal tears depends upon the type of tear, the presence of significant mechanical symptoms (eg, knee locking), the presence of a persistent knee effusion, age, activity level, and the presence of osteoarthritis. (See 'Treatment' above.)
●Small intrasubstance and vertical tears that cause infrequent symptoms and do not interfere with general knee function can be managed nonoperatively. Many clinicians try to exhaust conservative management options before referring such patients for surgery. Factors associated with successful and unsuccessful conservative management are described in the text. (See 'Approach to treatment and orthopedic referral' above.)
●Orthopedic referral is needed for meniscal tears associated with persistent effusions or disabling symptoms and those involving large, complex tears or vertical tears in contact with the articular cartilage.

I'd say physio mate and you'll probably be right. Might occasionally get locking.