RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by RTW »

Matt wrote:
RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P

Looking up contracts is a good way to avoid thinking about Stuart’s coaching. On that what positions do you have left to review and will you do a coaching staff review including assistants and Strength conditioning....The off season has come early!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:55 pm
Matt wrote:
RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P

Looking up contracts is a good way to avoid thinking about Stuart’s coaching. On that what positions do you have left to review and will you do a coaching staff review including assistants and Strength conditioning....The off season has come early!
Wing and Fullback.
Ill probably post something about the bench too, but it needs to be worked out via the positions. So not sure how that will work.
As for coaches, that's a little trickier, but ill see what I can do.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

An interesting side article on 5th tackle.

Read the article: https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/07/14/nr ... in-2019/4/

Here are my thoughts:

Bird is probably the worst buy of the yr. Pass.

Eastwood has health issues. Pass

Havili is likely to be re-signed, which is a great move.

We dont need another hooker, so Seggy is a Pass.

Elegy is not better than the halves options we have, and is yet another defensive liability. Pass.

Tapau is certainly someone we should chase, and chase hard. My #1 player on this list. BUY BUY BUY

Croft is another we should chase. We need another half. I cant see the Storm letting him go TBH, but he is a real talent. He is my 2nd favorite on this list. BUY BUY

Lamb was linked to us for a while, not sure what happened, but his form this yr hasn't been as good as last yr. We need a half, but im not liking him as much as I did when the season started. Pass.

Gela-Mosby, speed to burn, love it. Cowboys have missed a trick not using him this yr. I liked the Mociendreci buy from Souths, but he ended up at Mounties only, GGM is better. However, he has had a drivers license indiscretion this yr. We need another outside back, as depth if nothing else. BUY

G Jennings is probably the worst of the brothers, but has shown he is up to NRL standard. I think we are an outside back short, and he would be great depth. He will want regular NRL though, so while i say BUY, is suspect he wont come.

Phillips looks a very good depth option. Borderline starter. As stated we need another outside back, he could be it. Panthers cant keep everyone, and they are bringing Malaki Watene-Zeleniek (spelling) back. BUY

Allgood has been around a while and always been depth. Not good enough. Pass.

Hunt has been very good for the Bunnies. Can play centre or wing. Fantastic depth, but like Jennings, will probably want regular NRL. Id say BUY, but not sure he would come.

Baptiste looks like he will replace Garvey as our 3rd hooker at the club. BUY

Ayshford is a plodder. Has been for years. Pass

Gamble has had big wraps on him for a couple of years. Injury and NRL experienced players ahead of him have kept him out. He might be worth the gamble... Pass.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by LastRaider »

Matt wrote:An interesting side article on 5th tackle.

Read the article: https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/07/14/nr ... in-2019/4/

Here are my thoughts:

Bird is probably the worst buy of the yr. Pass.

Eastwood has health issues. Pass

Havili is likely to be re-signed, which is a great move.

We dont need another hooker, so Seggy is a Pass.

Elegy is not better than the halves options we have, and is yet another defensive liability. Pass.

Tapau is certainly someone we should chase, and chase hard. My #1 player on this list. BUY BUY BUY

Croft is another we should chase. We need another half. I cant see the Storm letting him go TBH, but he is a real talent. He is my 2nd favorite on this list. BUY BUY

Lamb was linked to us for a while, not sure what happened, but his form this yr hasn't been as good as last yr. We need a half, but im not liking him as much as I did when the season started. Pass.

Gela-Mosby, speed to burn, love it. Cowboys have missed a trick not using him this yr. I liked the Mociendreci buy from Souths, but he ended up at Mounties only, GGM is better. However, he has had a drivers license indiscretion this yr. We need another outside back, as depth if nothing else. BUY

G Jennings is probably the worst of the brothers, but has shown he is up to NRL standard. I think we are an outside back short, and he would be great depth. He will want regular NRL though, so while i say BUY, is suspect he wont come.

Phillips looks a very good depth option. Borderline starter. As stated we need another outside back, he could be it. Panthers cant keep everyone, and they are bringing Malaki Watene-Zeleniek (spelling) back. BUY

Allgood has been around a while and always been depth. Not good enough. Pass.

Hunt has been very good for the Bunnies. Can play centre or wing. Fantastic depth, but like Jennings, will probably want regular NRL. Id say BUY, but not sure he would come.

Baptiste looks like he will replace Garvey as our 3rd hooker at the club. BUY

Ayshford is a plodder. Has been for years. Pass

Gamble has had big wraps on him for a couple of years. Injury and NRL experienced players ahead of him have kept him out. He might be worth the gamble... Pass.
I’m really warming to Brodie Croft. I liked his game against Brisbane the other day. He has the ability to put players into hole or into space, something which Sezar lacks. Sezar and Croft would be good for the Raiders to work off to then bring in a more dynamic running half once Sezar’s contract expires.

As for Taupau, I’m with you. Buy buy buy buy, throw the cheque book at him and develop one of our junior players to play along side him. Someone like knight might grow a leg when playing along side him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

We have no money so i wouldn't be getting my hopes up
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: July 16, 2018, 11:04 am Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
I've only heard about the drivers licence, but not surprised mate.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: July 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
zim wrote: July 16, 2018, 11:04 am Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
I can't quote anything official to back it up. It's not end of the world stuff but there's enough there to know his head is not in the right place to be moving to canberra as an untested rookie.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

zim wrote: July 16, 2018, 2:27 pm
Matt wrote: July 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
I can't quote anything official to back it up. It's not end of the world stuff but there's enough there to know his head is not in the right place to be moving to canberra as an untested rookie.
Agreed, clearly won't be moving anywhere South in the near future. Needs a mentor (M.Bowen hello) first, and some help with alcohol related issues.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Was annoyed watching pangai Jr kill it for the broncos Fri night, knowing we chose Bateman over him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not sure that was actually a choice magoo.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It was. TPJ was inexplicably behind Bateman in the queue.

TPJ doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke we would've kept past his first contract though. Probably better we got it out of the way early.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

TPJ was never staying here. Was always a launching pad for him. The circumstances around his departure to the Broncos show that in his mind he knew where he wanted to be all along..
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

With Ravalawa apparently signing with the Dragons (see the pathways subforum), we need to sign at least one threequarter, assuming Kris will be upgraded as well.

I reckon we should be offering Tane Milne a deal, he has played well for Mounties and really his baggage isn't exactly Wighton level, so that shouldn't stop us.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I would like Tapau, one of Croft or Elgey (preferably Croft) and a depth backline signing.

Doubt we'll get anyone based upon our financial state.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

yeah it's minimum wagers only imo
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Timbo wrote:I would like Tapau, one of Croft or Elgey (preferably Croft) and a depth backline signing.

I would rather see us chase Brimson. The titans have a fair chunk of salary cap invested in the halves already and probably don’t want to get in a bidding war for another.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RTW wrote:
Timbo wrote:I would like Tapau, one of Croft or Elgey (preferably Croft) and a depth backline signing.

I would rather see us chase Brimson. The titans have a fair chunk of salary cap invested in the halves already and probably don’t want to get in a bidding war for another.
If we signed Tapau and Croft I would be a happy camper! The faith in management would return.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Brimsons back end of this yr has been good. Solid defender too.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RTW wrote:

Then we can bring hell, fire and Brimson!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well looks like we aren’t signing anyone now

Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

LastRaider wrote: July 28, 2018, 5:23 am Well looks like we aren’t signing anyone now

Should probably lock this thread for 2 years by the sounds of it..... :hmmm
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yap wrote: July 28, 2018, 6:37 am
LastRaider wrote: July 28, 2018, 5:23 am Well looks like we aren’t signing anyone now

Should probably lock this thread for 2 years by the sounds of it..... :hmmm
We still have to speculate about the 4 park footy players we will sign.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This instalment of the Raiders scouting thread will look at Wingers. Thus far we have looked at Centre, Hooker, Backrow, Lock, Halves and Prop. I’ll look to do a write up for each position as I get time. I’ll be looking at those players off contract in the NRL in both 2018 and 2019 for options. However, I might add the odd ‘surplus’ or ‘disgruntled’ player I think might be worth a shot. I am not across the ESL, so I won’t be looking there.

Wingers

Let’s have a look at what the Raiders are currently working with:
Wingers: Jordan Rapana and Nick Cotric
Backups: Michael Oldfield^
Off Contract: Mikaele Ravalawa

* Contract with option in clubs favour.
# May have signed elsewhere
^ Recently re-signed

So, according to the simplistic depth formula, we need:
Wing: Two
Bench: Four

Due to the nature of contracts, and the apparent worthlessness of the paper they are written on, we will look at the next two seasons of options. The reason for this is, the term ‘early release’ is becoming more and more of a common occurrence.

Wing players off contract in 2018:
Tyronne Roberts-Davis, Sandor Earl, Brendan Elliot, Jacob Gagan, Reuben Garrick, Patrick Herbert, Tom Hughes, Marcus Jensen, Edrick Lee, Josh Mansour, Brett Morris, Kevin Naiqama, Jason Nightingale, Corey Oates, Justin Olam, Michael Oldfield, Jordan Pereira, Junior Ratuvu, Reece Robinson, Ken Sio, Shem Tatupu, Akuila Uate, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Antonio Winterstein, Anthony Don, Braidon Burns, Ken Maumalo,

Wing players off contract in 2019:
Nene Macdonald, Richard Kennar, Carlin Anderson, David Fusitu'a, Campbell Graham, Mawene Hiroti, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Greg Leleisiuao, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, John Olive, Jordan Rapana, Reimis Smith, Lewis Soosemea, Jorge Taufua,

I’m not going to have a list of players ‘we could never get’ as this is a terrible mentality to recruitment to start with. However, I think we have to be realistic about our options, and I also think we need to be serious about our needs. Therefore, here is my ‘no fly zone’ and a brief reason why.

No Fly Zone 2018
Braidon Burns – We are in need of depth players, of which he fits the bill, however he has been error prone in his chances at the Bunnies. So I’ll pass, as you want players looking to impress, or safe part-timers.
Anthony Don^ – He has just re-signed with the Titans.
Brendan Elliot# – I believe he has signed for ESL club Leigh Centurions.
Jacob Gagan – He is the depth player everyone has wanted for a few years, and never cracked the NRL. So, a few years on, it’s a solid pass.
Josh Mansour^ – He has re-signed with Penrith.
Ken Maumalo – He has shown this season that he is a quality NRL quality player. We don’t have room for another starter.
Brett Morris# – He is off to the Roosters next season.
Kevin Naiqama – I believe he has signed for ESL club St Helens.
Jason Nightingale – He is too close to retirement for my liking. Good player for a long time.
Corey Oates – He has aspirations of playing in the backrow, good luck to him.
Jordan Pereira – Debuted this year, at 25, for the Dragons. Don’t know enough about him to make a call.
Akuila Uate# – I believe he has signed for ESL club Huddersfield.
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak# – Is returning to Penrith to re-join his brother next season.
Antonio Winterstein – Announced his retirement about a week ago.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Reuben Garrick, Patrick Herbert, Tom Hughes, Marcus Jensen,

Players I have no information on: Junior Ratuva, Shem Tatupu

Ex-Raiders:
Sandor Earl – The fall guy for the peptide drama, and has had to recover from an ACL tear.
Edrick Lee – I think he has done a really good job this season for the Sharks, but I’m guessing he will want to start. I can’t see club going back this way, nor can I see Eddy agreeing to return as depth.
Reece Robinson – Came back to the NRL from Super Rugby, and played a couple of games for the Roosters. I’d say he is well past it.

Options 2018:
We are in need of depth only, so all these picks have that in mind.
Tyronne Roberts-Davis – This kid has speed to burn and can kick goals. He only has 7 appearances in the NRL for two tries at only 20 years old. He has NRL pedigree, as Amos Roberts is his uncle, Tryrone Roberts his second cousin and James Roberts his cousin. A bit like Gideon Gela-Mosby at Cowboys, looks like a talent, and natural footballer, but still a little raw.
Justin Olam – Played seven times for PNG and has one start for Storm. Can play fullback, wing and centre. So, as depth versatility is a bonus. At 24 he is a little more mature too.
Ken Sio – Came back from the ESL to join the Knights and can kick goals. He is experienced and safe, but probably not pushing for first grade either. He will be pushed out of the Knights with all their incoming troops. I’d say he is a very safe depth option.

No Fly Zone 2019
David Fusitu'a – He is an NRL quality player, and currently in the top try scorers for the year. Unless we move a current starter on, we don’t have room for him.
Campbell Graham – He is young, but has managed to lock down a starting spot at the Bunnies. Can’t see him leaving to be depth.
Shaun Kenny-Dowall – He is an NRL quality player. Unless we move a current starter on, we don’t have room for him.
Nene Macdonald – He is an NRL quality player. Unless we move a current starter on, we don’t have room for him.
John Olive – Couldn’t get regular footy at the Titans, and only lasted a couple of weeks for the Dogs this year. Just not good enough.
Reimis Smith – Former Raider, Tyran Smith’s son. I think he has looked every bit an NRL player since debuting for the Dogs. Which means I can’t see him signing a depth contract.
Jorge Taufua – He is an NRL quality player. Unless we move a current starter on, we don’t have room for him.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Mawene Hiroti, Lewis Soosemea

Players I have no information on: None

Ex-Raiders:
None

Options 2019:
We are in need of depth only, so all these picks have that in mind.
Carlin Anderson – This is the type of young kid looking for a chance. He can play fullback, so could be a good option to replace a guy like Brad Abbey.
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad – He has seven tries in seven games for the Warriors, and one try in three games for the Cook Islands. Played for Storm in SG Ball and NYC. He was named at centre in ISP team of the year in 2016. Can play wing, centre or fullback. So, versatility really works in his favour there, so should he not crack the NRL fulltime next year, could be an option.
Richard Kennar – He nearly established himself as a starter for the Bunnies this year, but back to back injuries stuffed him. He can play wing or centre, so if he would come as depth, it would be a really good move.
Greg Leleisiuao – The Eels originally thought he might be the perfect replacement for Semi Radradra. He was a try scoring and tackle busting machine in the u20’s. Definitely the type of guy you want pushing for a place. While I can’t see him coming to sit behind established players, it would be a real cue to steal a talented youngster like him.

Re-Sign existing:
Michael Oldfield^ – Re-signed just recently.
Jordan Rapana – We would be nuts not to re-sign one of, if not, the best winger in the NRL.

Final Thoughts:
While I see Cotric as being a force in the centres in the future, with a very similar style of play to Leilua, but without as many errors. The right is his preferred side too. However, with our centres and winger’s locked down, we are really looking at the depth department.

Ill rank the options we have:
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Richard Kennar
3. Greg Leleisiuao
4. Justin Olam
5. Tyronne Roberts-Davis
6. Carlin Anderson
7. Ken Sio

Unfortunately, our best options aren’t available until next year. Nicoll-Klokstad is easily the most talented of the bunch, Kennar the most experience, and Leleisiuao the most damaging talent.

Justin Olam is probably the best option right now, as he has versatility and maturity on his side. Of the rest I think Stuart would pick Sio, for experience and reliability, which is why he liked Oldfield. It’s really slim pickings here.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I rate Kennar but I doubt he would come here for a Mounties spot.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LastRaider wrote: August 3, 2018, 7:08 am I rate Kennar but I doubt he would come here for a Mounties spot.

TBH, that's the problem with wingers in the next couple of year, most are retiring, already signed, or NRL standard. Not much depth out there. So, time to find a islander somewhere who wants a crack
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Isn't Kennar going on a mormon mission?
Herbert or Garrick may be tempted by a move away.
Elliot can play anywhere in the backline and would come cheap if the deal in the UK ends abruptly.
Tatupu retired.
Roberts-Davis is an option but needs plenty of conditioning. Unlikely to leave the GC.
Agree about Sio.
No info about Marcus Jensen, not sure he has played a game this year. Might need to head to the Cowboys forum for some answers on that one.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ALX22 wrote: August 3, 2018, 5:37 pm Isn't Kennar going on a mormon mission?
Herbert or Garrick may be tempted by a move away.
Elliot can play anywhere in the backline and would come cheap if the deal in the UK ends abruptly.
Tatupu retired.
Roberts-Davis is an option but needs plenty of conditioning. Unlikely to leave the GC.
Agree about Sio.
No info about Marcus Jensen, not sure he has played a game this year. Might need to head to the Cowboys forum for some answers on that one.
I only know of Tonumaipea from Storm going on a mission this yr. If Kennar goes too thats interesting.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Edrick Lee has signed with the Knights on a 3 year deal starting 2019.
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/new ... drick-lee/
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:Edrick Lee has signed with the Knights on a 3 year deal starting 2019.
I thought that was already done?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: August 6, 2018, 6:51 pm
zim wrote:Edrick Lee has signed with the Knights on a 3 year deal starting 2019.
It was certainly mentioned on TV a month ago. Obviously all the details werent worked out.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yes but he's talked about in the list as though he's an option.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 6, 2018, 9:17 pm
Pretty sure I made it clear its unlikely he would come back, nor be invited. Only that if he did return as depth it wouldnt be the worst call.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: August 6, 2018, 9:28 pm
Pretty sure I made it clear its unlikely he would come back, nor be invited. Only that if he did return as depth it wouldnt be the worst call.
That's not the same as saying it's not possible because he's signed with another club for 3 years, considering all the other re-signings are talked about. Which is why I brought it up as it seemed like information people weren't aware of.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 6, 2018, 9:47 pm
Matt wrote: August 6, 2018, 9:28 pm
That's not the same as saying it's not possible because he's signed with another club for 3 years, considering all the other re-signings are talked about. Which is why I brought it up as it seemed like information people weren't aware of.
You are correct.