Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Sunday 5 August 4:10pm
Panthers Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. Patches of light morning frost in the west. Light winds becoming north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then tending north to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h in the early afternoon. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 3 Max 23

Round 20 2018. Melbourne Storm 44 - Canberra Raiders 10. Simply out-classed. There's no getting around it. It was a thrashing. The Canberra Raiders have been torn apart by injury and suspension. Michael Oldfield was named in the team, just to fill out the squad - and hide the fact that coach Ricky Stuart was playing Sia Soliola at centre. There were other smokescreens as well. Nick Cotric played at fullback, not at centre. Brad Abbey played on the wing, not at fullback. Luke Bateman started at prop, while Sia Soliola played centre. Right centre-wing pairing, Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana shifted to the left. And then, sadly, the Raiders were their own worst enemy. Errors and penalties abounded. The Raiders were not in it from the first minute.

2018 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

More on Round 20: As I saw it

In Round 21, the Raiders head to Penrith for a clash with the Panthers in Sunday Afternoon Football. For the Raiders, Aidan Sezer (hamstring) returns from injury at halfback, with Blake Austin shifting to the centres. Sia Soliola shifts from centre to prop, while Luke Bateman drops back to the bench. Nick Cotric remains at fullback, with Brad Abbey to again start on the wing. Shannon Boyd (calf) returns on the bench with Jack Murchie and Liam Knight dropping to the reserves list. The Panthers are unchanged, but Reagan Campbell-Gillard (jaw) may be a late inclusion after being named on the reserves list.

Late changes: Makahesi Makatoa and Emre Guler were omitted from the Raiders squad on Saturday afternoon, with Liam Knight and Jack Murchie remaining on the reserves list. However, the Raiders are expected to be 1-17 after all four reserves played for Mounties on Friday afternoon. Christian Crichton and Wayde Egan were omitted from the Panthers' squad on Saturday.

History: The Raiders have won 36 matches against the Penrith Panthers, lost 37 and drawn one. Canberra has won four of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, but have lost the past three matches straight. The Raiders lost the first clash between the teams in 2017 at Bathurst, after leading 20-12 with less than two minutes remaining - conceding two rapid fire tries. The Raiders also lost narrowly in Round 24 last year, 24-20. Earlier this year, in Round 14 at Canberra Stadium, the Raiders led 22-16 with just over five minutes remaining. A Panthers try levelled the match, and a Nathan Cleary field goal with less than two minutes remaining delivered a 23-22 win for the visitors. Canberra has won 12 of 31 matches at Panthers Stadium and drawn one.

2018 Round 26 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2017 Round 24 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

2017 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

In this week’s "History Happens", we go back to just Week 2 of the 2016 finals campaign, when all the experts were tipping the Penrith Panthers to knock off the Raiders at Canberra Stadium. Instead, the Raiders went on to qualify for their first Grand Final qualifier since 1997.

2016 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

Form: In the six matches since the teams last met, the Panthers have won just twice, 36-4 over the Warriors in Round 17, and 28-24 over the Sea Eagles at Brookvale last week - after coming back from 18 points down with 13 minutes remaining. They suffered a 50-18 loss to the Broncos just two weeks ago. The Raiders are on a WLWWLL form line in those six games.

Betting: The Panthers are $1.45 favourites in the match, with the Raiders paying $2.78. The Raiders have 7.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack: It is a clash between fifth (Panthers) and 10th (Raiders) on the competition ladder. Canberra has an eight and 11 record in 2018, while Penrith is 12 and seven. Canberra has played eight matches against top eight teams and is yet to win one. Penrith has won three of seven matches against top eight sides.

The Raiders are just one point behind the first ranked team for total points scored in 2018 (Dragons 459, Raiders 458). They are just one try behind the first ranked team for most tries this season (Rabbitohs 78, Raiders 77). The Panthers rank sixth in the league in attack (22 points and 3.3 tries scored per match, compared with 25 points and 4.1 tries per match for the Raiders). The Panthers, however, have a better defensive record, conceding 18 points (2.9 tries) per match, compared with 23 points (3.6 tries) for the Raiders. The Raiders rank 12th in defence, the Panthers sixth.

Despite the big loss to the Storm last week, the Raiders remain the only team in the bottom eight with a positive points differential (+24), and have a better points differential than three teams above them (Tigers -45, Warriors -20, Broncos +8).

The Panthers average more running metres (Panthers 1552m, Raiders 1428m per match) and kicking metres (Panthers 438m, Raiders 391m per match). There is little difference between the teams in completion rates (Raiders 77 per cent, Panthers 76 per cent), with both teams averaging 10 errors per match. The Raiders are now the least disciplined team in the competition, ranking first for penalties conceded. However, they concede only slightly more penalties per game than the Panthers (10-9). The Panthers make more offloads (11-9 per match on average), while the Raiders shade the Panthers in line breaks (Raiders five, Panthers four per match).

The teams have a similar tackle efficiency rate (Panthers missing 37 of 353 tackles required on average per match, the Raiders missing 32 of 342).

Our tip: The Raiders' finals hopes have just about evaporated. While they still have a mathematical chance to make the top eight, they must win every remaining match - and depend on the Warriors to win no more than two matches, and the Tigers to lose twice. The Raiders are significantly impacted by injury and suspension, missing captain Jarrod Croker (knee), Michael Oldfield (knee), Ata Hingano (ankle) for the remainder of the season, and fullback Jack Wighton for the rest of the regular season. On the plus side, halfback Aidan Sezer (hamstring) and Shannon Boyd (calf) are available this week.

While the Raiders have a slight advantage in attack, the Panthers are no slouches in attack either. And as last weekend showed, they can pile on points very quickly. The Panthers also have a clear advantage in defence. And the other thing that is difficult to forget is the recent record between the teams - and the manner of them. Almost everything points to a Panthers win - though their recent form line is quite mixed. The Raiders will be desperate, but the head says this should be a decisive Panthers win. Penrith by 12.

What they’re saying

Blake Austin: "It’s hard to really look too hard into the way the season has gone until it’s finished. We’ve got five games to go and the numbers tell us that we’re a very small chance if we can win games of footy. It’s been well-written that we haven’t beaten top eight teams and obviously it hasn’t been good enough. We’ve got a game this week against the Panthers and all we can worry about is that."

Sia Soliola: "We’re just focusing on Penrith. What we can control is getting a win this week. It’s going to be tough against Penrith and it’s a thing we just have to knuckle down and do what we can. We’re always ready for the challenge. After last week it was pretty tough as you could imagine but the boys are always ready to rock and roll.

Canberra Raiders

1 Nick Cotric, 2 Brad Abbey, 3 Blake Austin, 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Aidan Sezer, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Josh Hodgson (c), 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

14 Dunamis Lui, 15 Shannon Boyd, 16 Siliva Havili, 17 Luke Bateman
18 Liam Knight, 19 Jack Murchie

INJURY/SUSPENSION LIST

Michael Oldfield (Knee) Indefinite
Jarrod Croker (Knee) Season
Jack Wighton (Suspended) End of regular season
Ata Hingano (Ankle) Season

Penrith Panthers

1 Tyrone Peachey, 2 Josh Mansour, 3 Waqa Blake, 4 Dean Whare, 5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 6 James Maloney (c), 7 Nathan Cleary, 8 Moses Leota, 9 Sione Katoa, 10 James Tamou, 11 Viliame Kikau, 12 Isaah Yeo, 13 James Fisher-Harris

14 Tyrone May, 15 Trent Merrin, 16 Jack Hetherington, 17 Corey Harawira-Naera
18 Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 19 Kaide Ellis

Officials:

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Peter Gough
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: 2018 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by raiderskater »

We're gonna die.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Is it too much to ask for a HOME game against a BOTTOM 8 team??? We are proven professionals when it comes to beating up poor quality opposition such as ourselves.... on the flip side, we wont beat a top 8 team this year, so we will win 1 out of our last 5 which will leave us in 12th or 13th spot, but on the bright side at least we didnt win the spoon :thumbsup
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lucky wrote:Is it too much to ask for a HOME game against a BOTTOM 8 team??? We are proven professionals when it comes to beating up poor quality opposition such as ourselves.... on the flip side, we wont beat a top 8 team this year, so we will win 1 out of our last 5 which will leave us in 12th or 13th spot, but on the bright side at least we didnt win the spoon :thumbsup
That's next week, and they'll probably beat us
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GE I know you're extremely busy on Gameday but any chance you could open up the Bar for this game. I'd like to pre-order a long island iced tea please. Could you please put it in a bucket so I can immerse my head in it?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:GE I know you're extremely busy on Gameday but any chance you could open up the Bar for this game. I'd like to pre-order a long island iced tea please. Could you please put it in a bucket so I can immerse my head in it?
Sure.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: August 3, 2018, 8:17 am GE I know you're extremely busy on Gameday but any chance you could open up the Bar for this game. I'd like to pre-order a long island iced tea please. Could you please put it in a bucket so I can immerse my head in it?
I think there is a whole other thread here around Raiders themed cocktails...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for squads, weather, odds: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32941&p=1610577#p1610577
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

No chance it’ll be same as last week lots of errors bad dicilspine stupid bench mangamnetnagain I’d say Panthers hit 40 points.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And here we go...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We're out of finals contention so nothing is more certain than the Raiders hitting their straps. 13+ win today.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s Game Day who is excited ImageImageImageImage

In Ricky We Trust
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

G'morning, is it time to die yet?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: August 5, 2018, 9:36 am It’s Game Day who is excited ImageImageImageImage

Well..I wore a Raiders jersey out in public just an hour ago..

I'm excited.. :woot:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: August 5, 2018, 10:36 am
Brew wrote: August 5, 2018, 9:36 am It’s Game Day who is excited ImageImageImageImage

Your pretty safe PJ, outside of the ACT no one knows what what team wears the green jersey :nooo
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote:

That just arouses pity nowadays

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Beautiful day here. Probably about 20 degrees at the moment, not a cloud in the sky.

Penrith v Wests Magpies in curtain raiser.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

A number of the boys clearly weren't putting in last week against the Storm. This week Sia has come out and said that the players have let Ricky down.

Add the fact that we have pathetically surrendering 6 competition points to the Panthers in the last 2 seasons, a failure to get up in this game is going to be pretty hard to take.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL match between the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers. The Raiders are 1-17. As expected Reagan Campbell-Gillard is a late inclusion for the Panthers. Live scores from 4:10pm right here.

Canberra Raiders

1 Nick Cotric, 2 Brad Abbey, 3 Blake Austin, 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Aidan Sezer, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Josh Hodgson (c), 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

14 Dunamis Lui, 15 Shannon Boyd, 16 Siliva Havili, 17 Luke Bateman

Penrith Panthers

1 Tyrone Peachey, 2 Josh Mansour, 3 Waqa Blake, 4 Dean Whare, 5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 6 James Maloney (c), 7 Nathan Cleary, 8 Moses Leota, 9 Sione Katoa, 10 James Tamou, 11 Viliame Kikau, 12 Isaah Yeo, 13 James Fisher-Harris

14 Tyrone May, 15 Trent Merrin, 18 Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 17 Corey Harawira-Naera
The Greenhouse score update service
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Coastalraider wrote: August 5, 2018, 11:15 am
-PJ- wrote: August 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Your pretty safe PJ, outside of the ACT no one knows what what team wears the green jersey :nooo

Thats how I feel every time I wear mine in Perth.... Hardly anyone who's what the hell I'm wearing
Perth Based Raiders Fan
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

How did Bateman get another start over Knight or Murchie? He was terrible last week and the week before that

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 5, 2018, 2:38 pm A number of the boys clearly weren't putting in last week against the Storm. This week Sia has come out and said that the players have let Ricky down.

Add the fact that we have pathetically surrendering 6 competition points to the Panthers in the last 2 seasons, a failure to get up in this game is going to be pretty hard to take.
Be like me and lower your expectations to the ground for this match.

I'm actually ****ing drinking to get through this. Why do I love this team so damn much.

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

LastRaider wrote: August 5, 2018, 3:12 pm How did Bateman get another start over Knight or Murchie? He was terrible last week and the week before that

Still better than Paulo or Boyd.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

raiderskater wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 5, 2018, 3:12 pm How did Bateman get another start over Knight or Murchie? He was terrible last week and the week before that

Still better than Paulo or Boyd.
Yeah I don’t even know how they are even being considered at the moment. Looks like running 10th for Stuart is more important then planning for next year. Great coaching there!

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well I'm here in Penrith
Not many are though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Penrith Panthers win the toss and will receive.
The Greenhouse score update service
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Why the hell was Sammy not suited up in the dressing room!
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Coastalraider wrote: August 5, 2018, 3:21 pm Why the hell was Sammy not suited up in the dressing room!
I sincerely hope the answer to that question is that he just likes getting ready late because any other alternative is not a good thought.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

raiderskater wrote: August 5, 2018, 3:26 pm
Coastalraider wrote: August 5, 2018, 3:21 pm Why the hell was Sammy not suited up in the dressing room!
I sincerely hope the answer to that question is that he just likes getting ready late because any other alternative is not a good thought.
I bloody hope so too! Everyone else was in training kit and boots, he was barefoot and still wearing the team polo....
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Watching Cronulla **** the bed here is kinda fun. Except I want Manly to win the wooden spoon, so...

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The warm up by the Raiders doesn’t look to enthusiastic

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No it doesn't......
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Sezer giving the boys some orders at the end of the warmup.

#sezerforcaptain hahahahahahahaha

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Sun in the eye for Abbey’s wing... he ain’t going to catch a thing today

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

300 games for Cecchin