Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release

Post by Goobeeful »

Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release and he’s returned to Sydney.
edwahu

Re: Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release and he’s returned to Sydney

Post by edwahu »

Source for Goobes

https://twitter.com/Super_Couch/status/ ... 0878845958

It's a shame he couldnt get along with Sticky, he is a good player and would've been a better fit for round 1 than Havilli imo.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release and he’s returned to Sydney

Post by Bay53 »

I agree it was disappointing that it didn’t work out but I can’t see how anyone would suggest that Havilli hasn’t been an astounding success.

Garvey has been in the system for a few years and hasnt made it. What’s more we knew he care with some baggage.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:20 pm I agree it was disappointing that it didn’t work out but I can’t see how anyone would suggest that Havilli hasn’t been an astounding success.

Garvey has been in the system for a few years and hasnt made it. What’s more we knew he care with some baggage.
I think Havilli has been great, but I think Garvey would have been a better fit because he plays closer to Hodgo and he didn't have the same fitness issues.

Since he can play middle Havilli would still have been a great bench option ahead of Hingano or the ridiculous Sezer thing we ended up doing.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The fact that he never even came off the bench when Hodgo was injured and Havili was gassed after 30 minutes was pretty strange.

Just a genuinely strange signing given how good a player he is.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If Garvey played those first 3 matches we would have won them all.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Wasn`t he already in Sydney playing for Mounties?? Another strange move in a strange season!!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Thomas Raider wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:45 pm Wasn`t he already in Sydney playing for Mounties?? Another strange move in a strange season!!!
I think Raiders contracted players live in Canberra and just go up to Sydney for one training session a week and to play.

I'd say the story is a smokescreen though.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

My bet is that if we played havili 9 and Garvey 14 at the start of the season, we’d be there about the top 4 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Huge blow to Mounties unless he picks up a short deal with them. With injuries and players moving on they are going to slide.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Clearing the decks for a big signing watch this space!!
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I think there’s a solid chance we’d be 6th-8th if he’d been our bench hooker in some of those tight matches instead of Williams/Sezer/Hingano. We lost all direction when they were at dummy half.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release

Post by greeneyed »

Great shame he didn’t get an opportunity at the Canberra Raiders. His on field form deserved one.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

What was his baggage?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

chris83 wrote: August 1, 2018, 2:03 pm What was his baggage?
Google it. Wont take too much digging
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I had him slated down as our #9 to start the yr. Of the two options, he has the better NRL resume. He was also touted as one of the fittest guys at the club before they even really started training. So that says plenty. However, he was then hospitalised, and seemed out of favour from there.

Anyway... to start the year, the guy gets passed up. Ok, Ricky went a different way, fine. But while that failed, Gravey was the best hooker in NSW Cup (from memory he made the team of the wk 3 out of 4 starts), but couldn't get a run in the NRL side.

Ricky went with, Hingano, who got knocked out, didn't play the following wk, nor did Garvey.

So, what does this mean?!?! My guess, something off the field didn't add up. I'm guessing this is a mutual split. I also hope we are looking to sign some young u20s type kid to fill the shoes of hooker #3.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Goobeeful wrote: August 1, 2018, 11:50 am Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release and he’s returned to Sydney.
Wait..aren't Mt Pritchard in Sydney ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

CJ42 wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:48 pm My bet is that if we played havili 9 and Garvey 14 at the start of the season, we’d be there about the top 4 right now.
Maybe not top 4 but I feel it could have been the difference in a few of those close losses. Might have seen us still challenging for a finals spot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-PJ- wrote:
Goobeeful wrote: August 1, 2018, 11:50 am Raiders have granted Craig Garvey’s request for a release and he’s returned to Sydney.
He was based in Canberra
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: August 1, 2018, 6:19 pm
-PJ- wrote:
He was based in Canberra
But, yes, Mt Pritchard is in Sydney.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I didnt watch a second of Garvey, but those who did, people who's opinions on the quality of play suggest he should have been given a shot in FG.
Given how dire our situation at hooker has been before Hodgson returned, it's baffling to me that if his form in NSW cup was as good as those say, why he wasnt given a chance.

I dont feel too badly for him because he's in this situation of needing to fight for a career mostly of his own doing.
Wish him all the best, im sure he wont miss being involved with this club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders grant Craig Garvey's release request

The Canberra Raiders have granted Craig Garvey's request for a release to return to Sydney for family reasons. The 25-year-old's partner is pregnant and they've returned to Sydney to be closer to family.

Garvey returned to Sydney last week and was overlooked for the Mounties on the weekend and wasn't named for their upcoming clash against Newcastle.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zuvz.html
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Usual Raiders farce
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Schifty wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:43 pm If Garvey played those first 3 matches we would have won them all.
Right..............
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think we would have won more games if Garvey was in the squad. He was better performed than players who regularly were selected in the top 17. He's been just about the best hooker, maybe player, in NSW Premiership.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders grant Craig Garvey's release request

The Canberra Raiders have granted Craig Garvey's request for a release to return to Sydney for family reasons. The 25-year-old's partner is pregnant and they've returned to Sydney to be closer to family.

Garvey returned to Sydney last week and was overlooked for the Mounties on the weekend and wasn't named for their upcoming clash against Newcastle.

Sounds like a toxic situation.

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Kryptonite wrote:
Schifty wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:43 pm If Garvey played those first 3 matches we would have won them all.
Right..............
Yep, we were definitely missing another fringe first grader.

If Havili player the full 80 we might of won, our first win was when he was forced to stay on the field for almost the entire game.

In Ricky We Trust
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 1, 2018, 7:59 pm Canberra Raiders grant Craig Garvey's release request

There has been a smell about his non-selection all season. Has he been involved in off field issues or has there been a clash with other players or coaching staff. It is not form on the footy field which has led to the non selection. Raiders have thrown a blanket over it all year. I hope he gets a run with another Club and his footy talent takes him as far as he can go in the game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Don’t forget he had a major illness just before the start of the season that required hospitalisation.

The fact he didn’t play round 1 is hardly a surprise. There were obviously some issues after that where the coaching staff didn’t want to pick him. But he has been no more than a fringe player at both Dragons and Dogs so to suggest he was going to be some sort of saviour is a bit ridiculous.

I reckon if he had performed about as good as Brad Abbey that would have been his level.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

chris83 wrote: August 1, 2018, 2:03 pm What was his baggage?
It public knowledge that he had an issue at the Dragons very similar to what Jack Wighton is going through.

Like Jack of course that can be one moment of madness rather than a reflection of his character as a whole.

I also don’t think he was particularly pleased with the fact Des Hasler didn’t pick him a lot last year.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I remember watch baptiste pick apart teams in Q cup and show more talent in one game than buttriss showed his whole career.

When I kept asking why he wasn’t picked I heard the same answers you always hear on here.

He is only playing reserve grade

He didn’t get picked at his former club, must not be that good

Or my favourite, if Ricky hasn’t picked him over buttriss that says a lot about how good he is.

Sometimes you just gotta give them a crack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I don't think anyone's saying he's the second coming of Boxhead, more that we were completely rudderless whenever Havili went off and that it was clear to everyone except supercoach that Hingano couldn't cut it at hooker. Meanwhile Garvey was carving up the reserves - he at least deserved a shot given how bad we were.

It could have been the difference in a couple of close games.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

"Carving it up in nsw cup" is very very different to winning us games in nrl!

So a guy who couldn't crack a first grade gig at 2 other clubs was hard done by and not picking him cost us our season? Now i have read everything lol

I am sure we wont miss him and the club who know the whole situation and his true playing ability made the right call,

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

From what I have seen, Garvey reminds me of the Hookers who look dangerous in tier 2 comps, but lack the structure and composure to be effective in the top grade.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

greeneyed wrote: August 1, 2018, 10:28 pm I think we would have won more games if Garvey was in the squad. He was better performed than players who regularly were selected in the top 17. He's been just about the best hooker, maybe player, in NSW Premiership.
That's good enough for me. I don't know anyone who has a better grasp of the Mounties / Raiders than you GE. The coach's job is to pick the best 17 that will win games every week and if we had more points than we do we'd still be in with a shout. I'm not kicking Ricky while he is down but this is yet another failure on his part and not only that, he's possibly put Hingaro back in development using him as he did when Garvey was available.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.