Cap management

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Cap management

Post by BigPapa »

Our salary cap is in all sorts of trouble. Without knowing players actually salaries it's hard to pin point the problem. One thing that is clear is certain players in this team are being overpaid. Which players would we be better off moving on to releive our disgraceful cap situation?
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Re: Cap management

Post by chris83 »

Bj i think for starters, we have three centres in wighton bj and croker, bj is too much of a wildcard and probably on big money, id get him out the door first.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Probably all of them save for Papalii, Hodgson and maybe Whitehead
Croker too just because he’s probably got the home grown cap discount
They’ll all be overpaid relative to their position and importance
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Cap management

Post by LastRaider »

Maybe we should just talk about keepers. My list is short though

1. Cotric - $300k
2. Hodgson - $900k
3. Whitehead - $500k
4. Tapine - $600k
5. Papilii - $800k
6. Murchie - $125k
7. Sololia - $200k
Total: $3.42m

The remaining 23 players can be shopped around far as I’m concerned

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The problem with our salary cap is we relied on some terrible intel about what the cap was going to be.

You can't gamble on something like that.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Schifty wrote: July 29, 2018, 9:59 am The problem with our salary cap is we relied on some terrible intel about what the cap was going to be.

It wasnt really terrible intel. It was from the governing body. Like if your boss tells you youre going to get a pay rise you expect to get a pay rise. Because they didnt get the money they had to let Kurt Baptist go. Kurt Baptist wanted to stay but couldn't because the raiders couldn't afford his backhanded contract.

Its what happened next that is the bigger issue. Wighton was great this year while he was playing which ended up being minimal. Is he worth 900 000 a season? Was Austin worth what they offered him the first time? Wasnt it something like 700 000?

You need to ask who is agreeing to these deals on the raiders side.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

LastRaider wrote:Maybe we should just talk about keepers. My list is short though

1. Cotric - $300k
2. Hodgson - $900k
3. Whitehead - $500k
4. Tapine - $600k
5. Papilii - $800k
6. Murchie - $125k
7. Sololia - $200k

Sia would be on more than 200k and no spot for Rapana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It depends on who is on what. My feeling is we are spending far too much on our back 5 and players 14 to 30.

I think BJ is the obvious player we could move on. I love the bloke but he sums up what's wrong with our team.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Cap management

Post by LastRaider »

Roy Rover wrote:
LastRaider wrote:Maybe we should just talk about keepers. My list is short though

1. Cotric - $300k
2. Hodgson - $900k
3. Whitehead - $500k
4. Tapine - $600k
5. Papilii - $800k
6. Murchie - $125k
7. Sololia - $200k

Sia would be on more than 200k and no spot for Rapana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah Rapana is borderline for me at the moment. He is obvousily a good player but when we need to find salary cap room I could fill the wing spot with an up and comer.

Anyone have a guess what Sia is on?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Don says the cap is fine...all monies spent.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No way you move on a player like Jordan Rapana. The club has made the right calls on who to move on so far, but I suspect you're right, there needs to be some space created for a top line half... the issue will be which year that is (as I'm not sure when they come on the market)... probably not until 2020.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

No rapana?? wow

make cap space for who? you think you can just get who ever you want?

man there is some crazy talk on this site
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to Zero Tackle... five eighths and half backs off contract in 2019:

Five eighth
Blake Ayshford, Te Maire Martin, Ryan Matterson, Corey Norman, Tom Wright

Half back
Luke Brooks, Fa'amanu Brown, Nathan Cleary, Cooper Cronk, Tyson Gamble, Dean Hawkins, Ata Hingano, Trent Hodkinson, Shaun Johnson, Mason Lino, Mitchell Moses, Darren Nicholls, Connor Tracey, Sam Williams

I'll add in full back as well, given Munster is on that list...

Full back
Brad Abbey, Jesse Arthars, Matthew Dufty, Jai Field, Bevan French, Clinton Gutherson, Josh Hoffman, Valentine Holmes, Kurt Mann, Gideon Mosby-Gela, Cameron Munster, Tristan Sailor, Murray Taulagi

Who would you create room for in 2020?

This is the list for 2018... but it seems the Raiders couldn't afford anyone in any case... and the list isn't great...

Full back
Tom Carr, Mason Cerruto, Lachlan Coote, Dale Copley, Nathan Davis, Anthony Don, Jarryd Hayne, Tyrone Phillips, Tyronne Roberts-Davis, Zac Santo, Billy Slater, Dylan Smith, Young Tonumaipea

Five eighth
Alexander Brimson, Josh Cleeland, Lachlan Croker, Kane Elgey, Matt Frawley, Jack Johns, Adam Keighran, Lachlan Lam, Brock Lamb, Benji Marshall, Dean Matterson, Shaun Nona, Curtis Sironen, John Sutton

Half back
Mitch Cornish, Troy Dargan, Pita Godinet, Jackson Hastings, Christian Hazard, Ryley Jacks, Cooper Johns, Kyle Laybutt, Jarome Luai, Soni Luke, Chad O'Donnell, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Walters
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's only three months until we can sign players for 2020, not that long really.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The NRL needs to take a reasonable amount of blame for the salary cap fiasco. What kind of a professional sporting organisation doesn't set the next year's salary cap until the season is over? Players need to be signed. The clubs with the most players off contract would be most effected.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With Toots and Cotric on the books, ditching Leilua is the best thing this club could do on a number of fronts.

Then we can start having a discussion about bringing in a new half to partner Sezer. I'd be happy with Luke Brooks at the right price to be honest. Munster is not a controlling half, and he sounds like a bit of a knob.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 29, 2018, 12:06 pm The NRL needs to take a reasonable amount of blame for the salary cap fiasco. What kind of a professional sporting organisation doesn't set the next year's salary cap until the season is over? Players need to be signed. The clubs with the most players off contract would be most effected.
All clubs were told in April last year that the cap would be 9.1 million for 2018. We had spent closer to 10m for this year already by that stage.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Cap management

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:No way you move on a player like Jordan Rapana. The club has made the right calls on who to move on so far, but I suspect you're right, there needs to be some space created for a top line half... the issue will be which year that is (as I'm not sure when they come on the market)... probably not until 2020.
Yeah but GE we need to make sacrifices somewhere. He would be verging on $600k per year soon. The club needs to save money and spend money in key positions not all positions

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote:With Toots and Cotric on the books, ditching Leilua is the best thing this club could do on a number of fronts.

Then we can start having a discussion about bringing in a new half to partner Sezer. I'd be happy with Luke Brooks at the right price to be honest. Munster is not a controlling half, and he sounds like a bit of a knob.
You’ve got to unload toots. He is our equivalent of Moses Mbye for the Bulldogs

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Worth noting, people have and continue to overstate the impact of our miscalculation of the salary cap

The reports indicated we had expected it to and budgeted for it to come in around 300k more than it was

300k over 10Mil is 3%
Now if you **** your budget by 3% you deserve to cop some grief about that as an administrator but in this realm of business (i.e sports salary cap budgets), getting that 3% back is very easily managed without losing much.

So that’s bad but it’s not catastrophic,
That matter was probably pretty well handled by releasing Baptiste and Turner.

it’s not the reason we’re in the **** with our cap.

The reason we’re in cap hell is we have Stuart, Mulholland and Furner offering players like Blake Austin 700k a year.
And have guys like Baptiste earning nearly 400k a year if reports were accurate
Last edited by Botman on July 29, 2018, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Also a signing like Dunamis Lui on the reported terms is one that'll just prove to be an issue down the line.

At 28 he isn't improving. If it's minimum wage that's okay, but if it's a flat 3yrs that's still a guy that I'd argue would be off the pace in year 2 of that deal using up a spot we could give to a youngster.

I doubt we have competition for his signature. A one year deal with a second year option in the club's favour would be the smarter deal.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah like i said, if thats minimum wage or near enough too, ive got no issue... problem is its very unlikely to be that. A 3 year 550k a year deal is fine, but we're probably giving him 750k
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:14 pm Yeah like i said, if thats minimum wage or near enough too, ive got no issue... problem is its very unlikely to be that. A 3 year 550k a year deal is fine, but we're probably giving him 750k
Even on minimum it's a year too long for me. Do we really expect a bidding war for 30 year old Lui for 2021?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Anyone suggesting we shop JordyRaps around should turn up in my driveway where you'll be slapped.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:36 pm
Even on minimum it's a year too long for me. Do we really expect a bidding war for 30 year old Lui for 2021?
No I suppose not, but if you can lock in a depth forward who you know can do a job and likely to improve (albeit very slightly) given forwards peak around 28-30, at near enough to minimum wage
I’m ok with that

But to your point, you’re far more likely to be trying to convince him to retire or move on in 2 years than you are to be looking at his contract like it’s a bargain
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:38 pm Anyone suggesting we shop JordyRaps around should turn up in my driveway where you'll be slapped.
Look, I don’t think we should do it, but I also don’t agree that it’s that absurd

If you were taking over the club and wanted a total fresh start, one of the quickest ways to achieve cap space to get players in key positions would be to shop raps

Firstly you’d be able to find a taker and probably get out of paying any frieight
Secondly you can find good cheap reliable wingers
They won’t be game changers and match breakers like Raps, but if you’re going for a scorched earth policy, you probably don’t want that

So I don’t think it’s without merits. Again not something I’d do but it’s not a ridiculous suggestion by any means imo
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Anyone suggesting we shop JordyRaps around should turn up in my driveway where you'll be slapped.
You're home now?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:54 pm
-PJ- wrote:Anyone suggesting we shop JordyRaps around should turn up in my driveway where you'll be slapped.
You're home now?
Yes I'm home.

But be warned.. I'm putting a large dent in this carton and will take no rubbish.

Come on round..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Pigman wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:48 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:38 pm Anyone suggesting we shop JordyRaps around should turn up in my driveway where you'll be slapped.
Look, I don’t think we should do it, but I also don’t agree that it’s that absurd

If you were taking over the club and wanted a total fresh start, one of the quickest ways to achieve cap space to get players in key positions would be to shop raps

Firstly you’d be able to find a taker and probably get out of paying any frieight
They won’t be game changers and match breakers like Raps, but if you’re going for a scorched earth policy, you probably don’t want that

So I don’t think it’s without merits. Again not something I’d do but it’s not a ridiculous suggestion by any means imo
Pig...

We blow.
Without Rapana..we don't win a game..ever.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

You can make a case for moving on from every player in the comp.... that doesn't mean the case is void of being totally ridiculous. e.g. moving Jordan Rapana on before someone like Croker. Twice the player on probably similar coin.
Last edited by yeh raiders on July 29, 2018, 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think you could. Make the case for moving on from Nathan Cleary? Kayln Ponga? James Tedesco?
Good luck
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:
Pigman wrote: July 29, 2018, 1:48 pm

Pig...

We blow.
Without Rapana..we don't win a game..ever.
Rapa is a great player but lacks discipline. The wing spot is an easily fill with an up and coming full back or centre junior. If the Cap is at the top like Don said and we need to find room for a good half it’s an option. You might be able to shop BJ and Rapa around as a pair

Ready for my slap now

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

My mind reads the title as “Crap management”... which actually doesn’t change anything whatsoever...
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Don’t like him but if we got Sidemouth we’d attract players.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Schifty wrote:The problem with our salary cap is we relied on some terrible intel about what the cap was going to be.

Nailed it, old mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.