Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 20 V Storm: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm
Saturday 28 July 7:35pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Dry day. Partly cloudy. Medium chance of showers in the evening. Winds north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light before dawn then becoming northerly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Min 9 Max 19

Round 19 2018. Cronulla Sharks 28 - Canberra Raiders 24. A match lost by the Raiders in the first half. Canberra's errors and ill discipline gifted the Cronulla Sharks a massive share of possession and a huge territorial advantage. Canberra made a big comeback in the second half, with some barn storming performances from the likes of Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana. It was great to see the courage, the determination, the enthusiasm. It was a hugely controversial match, with two blatant refereeing errors which cost the Raiders dearly. But in the end, the Raiders' effort to come back were not enough.

2018 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

More on Round 19: As I saw it

In Round 20, the Raiders head south to Bleak City for a meeting with the top of the table Melbourne Storm. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has shifted Nick Cotric to centre, with Michael Oldfield moving to wing. Joseph Tapine (suspension) returns for the Green Machine in the second row, with Sia Soliola dropping to the bench and Jack Murchie to 18th man. For the Storm, Dale Finucane starts at lock with Kenny Bromwich dropping to the bench.

Late changes: Makahesi Makatoa and Royce Hunt dropped off from the Raiders extended bench on Friday night, with Jack Murchie and Emre Guler remaining. For the Storm, Ryan Hoffman has been replaced by Kenny Bromwich in the starting second row. Albert Vete has been included on the bench. Cheyse Blair and Brodie Croft remain on the reserves list, with Tui Kamikamica the other player to drop out of the squad of 21.

History: The Raiders have won only 11 of 40 matches against the Melbourne Storm, for a 28 per cent win rate. Canberra has won four of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, but have lost the past three matches straight. They narrowly lost the Preliminary Final in 2016, 14-12, in Melbourne - and lost both contests in 2017. It was just a six point margin at Canberra Stadium in the first of those matches, but a 32-6 blow out in Melbourne, in the final round of 2017. Canberra has won three of seven matches the clubs have played at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, but they have not won at the venue since 2013. The Raiders have won just four of 20 matches played in Melbourne.

2018 Round 26 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2017 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2016 Preliminary Final Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

In this week’s "History Happens", we go back to just Round 23 of 2016, when the Raiders produced their best ever performance against the Melbourne Storm... and one of their best regular season matches in recent memory. Outstanding stuff... if only it had been the Preliminary Final, played only weeks later!

2016 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

Form: The Storm is on a seven game winning streak, surviving the Origin period unscathed. That run remarkably includes three one point victories over the Cowboys, Roosters and Sea Eagles. In their last outing, the Storm won 12-6 against the Warriors in Auckland, in a real struggle. The Raiders are on a WLWWL form line.

Betting: The Storm are hot $1.30 favourites in the match, with the Raiders paying $3.57. The Raiders have 9.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between first (Storm) and 10th (Raiders) on the competition ladder. Canberra has an eight and 10 record in 2018, while Melbourne is 13 and five. Canberra has played seven matches against top eight teams and is yet to win one. Melbourne has won six of eight matches against top eight sides.

No team has scored more points or tries than the Raiders (448 points, 75 tries), which is extraordinary, considering their place on the ladder. The Storm rank fourth in the league in attack (23 points and 3.6 tries scored per match, compared with 25 points and 4.2 tries per match for the Raiders). The Storm, however, has a much better defensive record, conceding just 15 points (2.4 tries) per match, compared with 22 points (3.4 tries) for the Raiders. Only the Roosters have a better defensive record than the Storm, while the Raiders rank 12th in defence.

The Raiders are the only team in the bottom eight with a positive points differential (+58), and have a better points differential than four teams above them (Tigers -33, Warriors +4, Broncos +6, Sharks +46).

The Storm average slightly more running metres (Storm 1454m, Raiders 1452m per match) and kicking metres (Storm 419m, Raiders 395m per match). The Raiders have a better completion rate (Raiders 78 per cent, Storm 74 per cent), with the Storm averaging more errors (12-10 per match). Both teams concede nine penalties per game. The Storm make slightly more offloads (10-9 per match on average), while the Raiders shade the Storm in line breaks (Raiders five, Storm four per match).

The Storm has a better tackle efficiency rate (Storm missing 26 of 346 tackles required on average per match, the Raiders missing 32 of 343).

Our tip: The Raiders' finals hopes hang by a thread and they must win every remaining match to have a chance of playing finals football. The Raiders are significantly impacted by injury and suspension, missing captain Jarrod Croker (knee) and Ata Hingano (ankle) for the remainder of the season, and fullback Jack Wighton for the rest of the regular season. Halfback Aidan Sezer (hamstring) and Shannon Boyd (calf) are also in the casualty ward. The return of Joe Tapine from suspension, however, is a plus.

While the Raiders have an advantage in attack, the Storm has a much bigger advantage in defence. The Storm also loves getting into the grind and winning in close contests. They have won four of the five games they've played this season that have been decided by two points or less. The Raiders have lost all five of their games in 2018 decided by two points or less. The Raiders have also lost seven of the eight matches they've played that have been decided by four points or less.

Melbourne is not really playing that well, and have struggled to find a combination in their spine, following the departure of Cooper Cronk. But they're still top of the ladder, and they still have key playmakers who know what to do in the clutch.

If this match gets into the "grind", it is hard to see anything other than a Melbourne Storm win. If the Raiders are to win, they will need a fast start, build a lead, and keep the Storm under pressure the entire 80 minutes. The heart is hoping they can, the head is saying this will be a Storm win. Storm by 12.

What they’re saying

Sam Williams on the aftermath of the loss to the Sharks: "We’re a professional outfit and we’ve got to be mentally strong enough to bounce back. We came back in here [on Monday] morning with smiles on our faces and try to make sure we’re as professional as we can be throughout the week to get ready for the [Melbourne] game."

Elliott Whitehead: "We’re going to have to go down to Melbourne and get the win. We’ve got six games left now and we need to win all of them and hopefully some results go our way. We’ll be concentrating on what Melbourne do and hopefully we can go down there and get the two points we desperately need. We know what we have to do and we’ll just be concentrating on doing that."

Canberra Raiders

1 Brad Abbey, 2 Michael Oldfield, 3 Nick Cotric, 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Dunamis Lui, 9 Josh Hodgson (c), 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

Interchange: 14 Liam Knight, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Siliva Havili, 17 Iosia Soliola
Reserves: 18 Jack Murchie, 21 Emre Guler

Melbourne Storm

1 Billy Slater, 2 Suliasi Vunivalu, 3 Will Chambers, 4 Curtis Scott, 5 Josh Addo-Carr, 6 Cameron Munster, 7 Jahrome Hughes, 8 Jesse Bromwich, 9 Cameron Smith (c), 10 Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 11 Felise Kaufusi, 14 Kenny Bromwich, 13 Dale Finucane

Interchange: 15 Tim Glasby, 16 Christian Welch, 17 Joe Stimson, 21 Albert Vete
Reserves: 19 Brodie Croft, 20 Cheyse Blair,

Officials:

Referees: Adam Gee, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger, Rohan Best
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLStormRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 20 V Storm: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

So they didn't give the Raiders Gerard Sutton and Luke Patten...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2018, 5:27 pm So they didn't give the Raiders Gerard Sutton and Luke Patten...
Both asked I'm hearing..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is good they've given the Raiders the prestigious referee, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Worth trying something new GE!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2018, 5:39 pm It is good they've given the Raiders the prestigious referee, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski.
Surely if they were going to the trouble of putting a fake moustache on Gerrard Sutton they could have at least come up with a more believable name, I mean Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski isn’t even a real name!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

kiwi raider wrote: July 24, 2018, 6:15 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2018, 5:39 pm It is good they've given the Raiders the prestigious referee, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski.
Surely if they were going to the trouble of putting a fake moustache on Gerrard Sutton they could have at least come up with a more believable name, I mean Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski isn’t even a real name!
At least Joey Joe Shabadoo is in the bunker.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

That is a freakin' outstanding name.

I think I'm going to need to be drunk for this weekend's game. And I don't drink.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

kiwi raider wrote:
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

We really gotta avoid an early ambush or this could get nasty.... with pretty much nothing to play for our attitude will be tested greatly. $1.30 seems spot on.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Who's excited ?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-PJ- wrote: July 28, 2018, 6:59 am Who's excited ?
No one it seems.. :D
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

We will win this game.

Such a Raiders thing to do after a season of failure.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Nope. I'm thoroughly down on this and have no expectations whatsoever except that we're going to get pasted.

So anything better than a pasting is above expectations for me.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:25 am
No one it seems.. :D
Was waiting till somebody else said they were. I didn’t want to feel isolated. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

I've decided i'm a masochist and will be heading to the game...anyone else heading out ?
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Cmon Raiders, lets beat the cheats! If Hodgo gets it over captain grub, that would be most satisfying!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

IBG wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:30 am We will win this game.

Little doubt Raiders will finish off the season with a bang and just miss the finales by 1 game. Leaving us to spend the off season lamenting all those games we blew.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Narrator: The Raiders did not win this game. They were crushed by a more talented and better coached football team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Joe Tapine back tonight.

To Joe,
Rip in young fella, don't hold back on the aggression..go hard..luv ya to death.
Love PJ 💕
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Thank God I'm at work I'll still crack the ***** when we lose but at least I won't get in trouble for waking the kids up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

-PJ- wrote: July 28, 2018, 12:48 pm Joe Tapine back tonight.

To Joe,
Rip in young fella, don't hold back on the aggression..go hard..luv ya to death.
Love PJ 💕
To Joe:

if you're gonna do something stupid that's gonna get you suspended tonight, please do it to Cameron Smith and make it worth everyone's time

love raiderskater

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

raiderskater wrote: July 28, 2018, 2:08 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 28, 2018, 12:48 pm Joe Tapine back tonight.

To Joe,
Love PJ 💕
To Joe:

if you're gonna do something stupid that's gonna get you suspended tonight, please do it to Cameron Smith and make it worth everyone's time

love raiderskater
I fully endorse these comments...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Storm have been undefeated since Greenburg told the refs to stop the crackdown. Coincedence?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: July 24, 2018, 7:20 pm
That is a freakin' outstanding name.

I think I'm going to need to be drunk for this weekend's game. And I don't drink.
It would certainly score well in scrabble!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Been studying the ladder and reckon we might struggle to make the 8 if we drop this one....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I'm happy that Matt Nable is calling calling Penrith v Manly so he won't be calling us. That sort of exciting!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: July 28, 2018, 4:05 pm Storm have been undefeated since Greenburg told the refs to stop the crackdown. Coincedence?
Of course it isn't. The Sharks and Roosters who use similar cheating tactics in defence have also had a lot more wins since Greenburg backed down.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
edwahu wrote: July 28, 2018, 4:05 pm Storm have been undefeated since Greenburg told the refs to stop the crackdown. Coincedence?
Of course it isn't. The Sharks and Roosters who use similar cheating tactics in defence have also had a lot more wins since Greenburg backed down.
Ibid.

Tigers also picked up some wins.

I'm over this comp. I really am. Such inept, incompetent management that has no idea about anything except how to stuff things up and annoy millions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

dubby wrote: July 28, 2018, 5:03 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Ibid.

Tigers also picked up some wins.

I'm over this comp. I really am. Such inept, incompetent management that has no idea about anything except how to stuff things up and annoy millions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It's a vicious cycle that everyone seems to be contributing to. Don't blow enough penalties and the commentators and coaches complain about too much wrestling and deliberate rule breaking. Enforce the rules and the commentators and coaches complain about too many penalties.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm clash at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
3. Nick Cotric
12. Elliott Whitehead
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
15. Luke Bateman
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Junior Paulo
11. Joe Tapine
17. Sia Soliola
13. Josh Papalii

8. Dunamis Lui
14. Liam Knight
16. Siliva Havili
18. Jack Murchie

Melbourne Storm

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
17. Joe Stimson
14. Kenny Bromwich

13. Dale Finucane
15. Tim Glasby
16. Christian Welch
20. Cheyse Blair
The Greenhouse score update service
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Good to see Murchie get another crack, if Ricky plays him.

Weird to see Whitehead in that spot!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: July 28, 2018, 6:41 pm Good to see Murchie get another crack, if Ricky plays him.

Weird to see Whitehead in that spot!
I was looking forward to seeing Cotric at centre as well - oh well. You on the Cosmopolitans tonight GreenGirl?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

In later years, I look forward to the conversations that will start with "Remember that time we had Luke Bateman as starting prop..."

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.