Guler, Horsburgh, Murchie

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Guler, Horsburgh, Murchie

Post by Wiki Special »

With us losing Boyd and Paulo for next year I have to assume (providing our Management are competent) that the Raiders are pinning a lot on the development of Guler, Horsburgh and Murchie.

I have only seen a limited amount of all 3 but am interested if any forum members think they can develop into worthy replacements. Boyd and Paulo are both fringe representative forwards so in my mind we would need 2 of these players to become that for this to pay off.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Guler, Horsburgh, Murchie

Post by gerg »

I haven't seen much of any of them but they all need a taste of first grade in the remainder of the season.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All of them have huge first grade potential. They need to be given as much opportunity as possible from here. Horsburgh, is a development player, so he'll probably need to wait until next year. Guler... he was originally listed as train and trial, and he obviously has a contract, but the club has never confirmed what sort of contract, as far as I'm aware. So he might not be top 30 in 2018 either... but he could be. If not, he'll also have to wait until he graduates to top 30.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I thought murchie was solid, but from what ive been told horsburgh and guler are better

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Guler has first grade potential, maybe more. He has the size but from what I have seen also some of the challenges that come with it defensively. No worse than Paulo in that regard. I'd rate him likely to overtake Knight in the pecking order.

Murchie looks solid but I think he is going to take a while to get the opportunities to show his worth. If we sign Bateman I think he won't see much first grade even with injuries, unless he can convert to a middle somehow. He is obviously highly rated though so they may try and fit him in regardless.

Horsburgh is a great Nathan Brown (the parra one) type of player. I think if you chucked him in for 80 minutes this weekend he would do a good job. I don't know if he will convert to a traditional prop very well though, his game is most suited to playing lock as he is constantly working on and off the ball, so I would see him coming into the rotation that way with Papa moving up to prop after 20 or so.

Based on the little I have seen Stefano Hala is another player who could do a job off the bench as a middle. He is very raw but could play limited minutes and have an impact.

I also think Royce Hunt and even Makatoa aren't worth writing off totally. Makatoa really puts up great numbers in Mounties. Both just need to sort their defensive issues, which seems to be a blocker for anyone not already in the team.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

All 3 can be seen in the training gallery photo's most weeks, so at least plenty of top squad training sessions.
Former football manager bonasera seemed to be fairly involved with Guler, he's at manly now so need to ensure we look after that situation.
Horsburgh looks a really good prospect in the middle, I wouldn't be shocked to see him top25 next season.
Murchie handled himself well Friday night, good size and mobility, interested to see how his motor develops with more nrl games.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I like what I see of Hala too (limited viewing), he was highly rated at Penrith but seems a bit off the radar.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree Hala has very good first grade potential.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2018, 10:26 am All of them have huge first grade potential. They need to be given as much opportunity as possible from here. Horsburgh, is a development player, so he'll probably need to wait until next year. Guler... he was originally listed as train and trial, and he obviously has a contract, but the club has never confirmed what sort of contract, as far as I'm aware. So he might not be top 30 in 2018 either... but he could be. If not, he'll also have to wait until he graduates to top 30.
Guler has made the top 21 squad at times so I'd assume he is in the 30 man squad. I know Horsburgh was signed as a development player but assume we could upgrade him to fill Hinganos injury, given it occurred during an international.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2018, 10:26 am All of them have huge first grade potential. They need to be given as much opportunity as possible from here. Horsburgh, is a development player, so he'll probably need to wait until next year. Guler... he was originally listed as train and trial, and he obviously has a contract, but the club has never confirmed what sort of contract, as far as I'm aware. So he might not be top 30 in 2018 either... but he could be. If not, he'll also have to wait until he graduates to top 30.
Guler has made the top 21 squad at times so I'd assume he is in the 30 man squad. I know Horsburgh was signed as a development player but assume we could upgrade him to fill Hinganos spot, given his injury occurred during an international.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

FROG wrote:
Guler has made the top 21 squad at times so I'd assume he is in the 30 man squad. I know Horsburgh was signed as a development player but assume we could upgrade him to fill Hinganos injury, given it occurred during an international.
thought that international injury rule was positional?

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, the international replacement has to be the same position and same contract level. I don't think we are using it, Hingano was probably on minimum wage so there wouldn't be much use.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

edwahu wrote:Yeah, the international replacement has to be the same position and same contract level. I don't think we are using it, Hingano was probably on minimum wage so there wouldn't be much use.
and pro-rata, I seem to remember thinking we'd have to be finding a $50k half on June 27th for half a year.

Edrick The Entertainer
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

bonehead wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:39 pm
edwahu wrote:Yeah, the international replacement has to be the same position and same contract level. I don't think we are using it, Hingano was probably on minimum wage so there wouldn't be much use.
and pro-rata, I seem to remember thinking we'd have to be finding a $50k half on June 27th for half a year.

we could bump O’hagan up to the top squad as a replacement for Hingano?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

kiwi raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:39 pm

we could bump O’hagan up to the top squad as a replacement for Hingano?
I'd say so but no real point unless you were cap banking

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hunt playing well too from what I've heard..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: July 24, 2018, 7:12 pm Hunt playing well too from what I've heard..
Aims up, but not going to make firsts regularly IMO.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: July 24, 2018, 7:12 pm Hunt playing well too from what I've heard..
Aims up, but not going to make firsts regularly IMO.
Such a good runner. Needs a better tackling coach.
Problem for Hunt is all 3 of our kids have already shown better all round defense.
I can see Hunt playing first grade some day. I can never see Makatoa getting a run. Solid player, tries hard but nothing extra.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I find it harsh that Hunt can't get a run for his defense considering the players who regularly do despite how poor theirs is. The bar seems to be set higher for some.
South raider
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by South raider »

Guler is the one that I think has the most potential he must play next yr if not this yr , than horsburgh he is a good defender as well , jack played well on Friday but the other two need to be re signed quick
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote:I find it harsh that Hunt can't get a run for his defense considering the players who regularly do despite how poor theirs is. The bar seems to be set higher for some.
Part of it would be experience. Part of it would be Hunt has some trouble in reserve grade while people like Lui only have it in first grade.
Would be great to see him actually get a solid 3 week period to show what he's got.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

All seem to have the wraps you want to hear coming from the younger crowd. However, I need to see opportunities in NRL to really gauge it.