Playing the whistle

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Playing the whistle

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:He said play should have stopped because he made the wrong signal "The touch judge should have indicated to the referee he made a mistake", the same as if the referee blew his whistle by accident.

Which therefore means a scrum feed to the sharks
Play should have stopped.

We got there in less than 24 hours.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:He said play should have stopped because he made the wrong signal "The touch judge should have indicated to the referee he made a mistake", the same as if the referee blew his whistle by accident.

Because of the mistake.. that's it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:

You don't even remember what you were arguing Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:

I don't think that anyone is denying that
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:

You don't even remember what you were arguing Image
To be honest I really don't

Touch judge something something flag
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

It's over. The Sharks won cause they played the whistle and not the flag.

Clever teams do what it takes to win.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Captain Punish wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:41 pm It's over. The Sharks won cause they played the whistle and not the flag.

Clever teams do what it takes to win.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
That's not it at all.

If the Raiders had of been leading by 40 with 2mins to go would you're attitude be the same.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Sharks won because the bunker overturned a call without justification for it, and the on field officials made an egregious error calling Beej's pass forward.

Those are the errors im furious about.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rabbit season!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Duck season!
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:05 pm The Sharks won because the bunker overturned a call without justification for it, and the on field officials made an egregious error calling Beej's pass forward.

Those are the errors im furious about.
Impossible to know whether the errors cost us the game. We don’t know whether, if they got the first call right, that the sharks wouldn’t have scored in the next set. Or we would have even been in the same situation for bj to throw the pass that was called forward.

If we want a culture of accountability, we can’t think that bad ref calls cost us games. Unless it’s the absolute last play of the game (as happened in the storm-dragons match a few years ago).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’m with you on that, lars
I’m fairly vocal rallying against this sort of stuff, I call it how I see it and I VERY rarely see it that officiating cost us a football game

On this occasion I think it did
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:02 pm I’m with you on that, lars
I’m fairly vocal rallying against this sort of stuff, I call it how I see it and I VERY rarely see it that officiating cost us a football game

I’m with you on that Pig.

I’m not calling conspiracy or anything like that, more incompetence, but the bit that really got me last night was the SEQUENCE of bad calls. I’m pretty sure all refs realised at minimum we had a hard call on the bunker try, even if they didn’t quite grasp on field it was totally wrong. Usually after that you could expect the next 50/50 to go your way, instead we get the penalty for running off the ball. The refs saw that on the big screen, and couldn’t have thought it was legit after that. So again, you would expect a good call coming your way. Instead, we get the roughest forward pass call so far this year. Even the ref was seen saying to hondgo sheepishly ‘I thought it was forward’ almost apologising. So once again, you would think a little leeway on the next close one. Cue the Hodgo knock on.

It was mind boggling.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:Duck season!
Rabbit season!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Duck season
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Rabbit season!

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

.Image

lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

Coastalraider wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:15 pm
Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:02 pm I’m with you on that, lars

I’m with you on that Pig.

I’m not calling conspiracy or anything like that, more incompetence, but the bit that really got me last night was the SEQUENCE of bad calls. I’m pretty sure all refs realised at minimum we had a hard call on the bunker try, even if they didn’t quite grasp on field it was totally wrong. Usually after that you could expect the next 50/50 to go your way, instead we get the penalty for running off the ball. The refs saw that on the big screen, and couldn’t have thought it was legit after that. So again, you would expect a good call coming your way. Instead, we get the roughest forward pass call so far this year. Even the ref was seen saying to hondgo sheepishly ‘I thought it was forward’ almost apologising. So once again, you would think a little leeway on the next close one. Cue the Hodgo knock on.

It was mind boggling.
I don’t want ‘leeway’ with future calls if we have a bad call against us. The refs should call it as they see it. No exceptions. The ‘leeway’ would also go the other way should we receive a fortunate call.

It was a **** game of officiating that played significantly against us. I don’t think we can say it cost us the game, but it sure as **** made it hard for us. It was a contributing factor, as was the 16 point lead we gave them at half time.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:51 pm He said play should have stopped because he made the wrong signal "The touch judge should have indicated to the referee he made a mistake", the same as if the referee blew his whistle by accident.

I spoke to Matt Checcin earlier tonight, he said a common sense rule should’ve been applied which is exactly what you said above.

The try shouldn’t have been awarded but the attacking team should’ve got the ball back, on the basis of the flag being raised incorrectly.

I questioned how often we see this happen where a common sense rule is applied like that and he referred to an incident in Origin - but I can’t remember it?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

lars wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:35 pm the 16 point lead we gave them at half time.
Now you're talking lars. As Hodgo so eloquently said 'Our first half cost us the game, we're not kidding ourselves with that.'
Full accountability and responsibility from Hodgo. He is a breath of fresh air.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: July 21, 2018, 10:40 pm
Now you're talking lars. As Hodgo so eloquently said 'Our first half cost us the game, we're not kidding ourselves with that.'
While this is true, Ricky followed that up with something along the lines of 'we did enough in that 2nd half to dig ourselves out of the hole we put ourselves in, and win.'

Which may very well have happened should 2 very critical decisions be made correctly.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That breath of fresh air just captained us to one of the great heists of 2018.
Also in the presser said he questioned the officals a number of times and got nothing back from them. Was totally dismissed

“He’ll get more respect with the refs” they said
“He’ll hold more sway with the refs” they said

Our season was on the line and we rolled out in the first half and EDIT. LEADERSHIP, RED!
It’s almost as if Hodgson being captain didn’t make any difference what so ever to the on field product!

Lol.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:51 pm He said play should have stopped because he made the wrong signal "The touch judge should have indicated to the referee he made a mistake", the same as if the referee blew his whistle by accident.

I spoke to Matt Checcin earlier tonight, he said a common sense rule should’ve been applied which is exactly what you said above.

The try shouldn’t have been awarded but the attacking team should’ve got the ball back, on the basis of the flag being raised incorrectly.

I questioned how often we see this happen where a common sense rule is applied like that and he referred to an incident in Origin - but I can’t remember it?
I assume he’s referring to when a grubber hit the ref. Gave a scrum feed to Queensland for another set.

I would like to see even more common sense in that situation. Pretty sure the attacking team gets a fresh set... why? Just replay the last tackle from where it began thanks. And if that’s on the last, it’s still the last.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i dont see why you cant just go back to the spot and restart the game from that point, they do it for the offloads when the ref has called held. Which was probably the best common sense decision they've ever made

I'd love to see the charge down rule get some common sense too... why the **** attacking teams get rewarded for failing to get a kick away is beyond me.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

This game was likely decided by officiating, but certainly not our season. Our season has been decided by not addressing the same problems over and over again - feeble edge defence, inability to run the right play at the right time, and general low IQ football.

Again, I like Stuart off the pitch and love that he has engaged so well with the community - but anyone looking at the Raiders can’t say we resemble anything close to a well coached side. Our attack is mostly off the back of adlib and individual brilliance (particularly now that Wighton is suspended). Our defence is truly abysmal, and has been for years - with non existent line speed allowing the opposition to make easy metres, and extremely poor edge defence. Some of the selection choices are strange too - why we persist with Sia on an edge when you have young Murchie (and the season is over anyway). Or why we have Cotric who can handle Centre, out on a Wing, with Oldfield clearly out of his depth as an NRL standard Centre.

We need to spend the rest of the year giving Guler and Murchie decent minutes, along with Knight.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

:shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Pigman wrote: July 22, 2018, 7:58 am Yeah i dont see why you cant just go back to the spot and restart the game from that point, they do it for the offloads when the ref has called held. Which was probably the best common sense decision they've ever made

I'd love to see the charge down rule get some common sense too... why the **** attacking teams get rewarded for failing to get a kick away is beyond me.
Common sense in that situation is the attacking team getting the ball back... they only failed to get the kick away because the defender deliberately got himself in the way. It’s pretty straight forward.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Why would it go back to a Cronulla feed for a scrum. The Touchie saw a slight knock on, the ref said there was a knock on, the Video ref didn’t see one because of poor footage.

Trust the officials closest to the action and play their live calls.

A 2d image of a 3D event doesn’t always show small touches.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's an incorrect signal
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:Why would it go back to a Cronulla feed for a scrum. The Touchie saw a slight knock on, the ref said there was a knock on, the Video ref didn’t see one because of poor footage.

Trust the officials closest to the action and play their live calls.

A 2d image of a 3D event doesn’t always show small touches.
Absolutely what we saw should have been a Raiders scrum. But say the video showed he really didn’t touch it. In that instance Cronulla should get to restart from that play again.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 11:29 pm
That breath of fresh air just captained us to one of the great heists of 2018.
Also in the presser said he questioned the officals a number of times and got nothing back from them. Was totally dismissed

“He’ll get more respect with the refs” they said
“He’ll hold more sway with the refs” they said

Our season was on the line and we rolled out in the first half and EDIT. LEADERSHIP, RED!
It’s almost as if Hodgson being captain didn’t make any difference what so ever to the on field product!

Lol.
:lol: Is your ego still bruised after T_R and the good Doctor gave you a bath on your rule book comprehension skills?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's recovering quite well, it always does.

Could be worse though, i could be here in 2018 earnestly believing the the captain is responsible for calling out the set plays and FG positioning! :lol:
It's a nice lesson for us all, someone is always worse off than you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:It's recovering quite well, it always does.

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Pigman wrote: July 22, 2018, 6:39 pm It's recovering quite well, it always does.

Could be worse though, i could be here in 2018 earnestly believing the the captain is responsible for calling out the set plays and FG positioning! :lol:
:roflmao
That's a tidy return
:clap:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Pigman wrote: July 22, 2018, 6:39 pm It's recovering quite well, it always does.

Then you will be happy to get behind our current Captain because you believe the No9/spine makes all these decisions. Welcome aboard.