44%

Total votes: 9

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 19 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
yeh raiders wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:00 pm I think Hodgo led us around the park very well tonight.

We were down and out, had key players missing, some very questionable positional decisions from Ricky and kept copping the raw end of the stick from the refs.

Despite that, we fought all the way to the final bell against a team who have been killing it of late, playing at home and are coming 4th.

Good effort.
No, they're in sixth.
According to NRL.com, they’re 4th.

Anyway, the discussion over playing to the whistle isn’t worth arguing because as quoted from NR 99.9% of the time what happened, doesn’t happen.

If the Refs don’t **** up in the first place, we don’t talk about it. It’s that simple.

Any footballer with an ounce of intuition sees the flag go up and hears the ref say “knock on” and stops playing.
They were sixth at the start of the round, and just two games, now three, had been played.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:58 pm
Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:26 pm
Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:20 pm It happens all the time. Go and look at highlights packages where a touchie puts his flag up to signal the player is out, ref goes to the video to confirm grounding v touchline
Literally happens every week NR.
Only happens when a player is diving for the corner. That’s not calling play on. I’m talking about a touchy putting the flag up in general play.

You’re taking the ‘play the whistle’ argument a bit too far here.

Yes, it is general play.
If your position is once the official raises his flag the play is dead and the on field ref cant over-rule him then anytime the touchie raises his flag, there CAN NOT by rule be a VR referral.
That is not the case. PLay is allowed to go on to confirm the sideline officials decision. As it was here.

This is nonsense. If the touchie raises his flag and a try is not scored within the time it takes to react to that, then play will be stopped EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You trolling piggles? This is bad.
It's not nonsense. It's the way it is.
The call should not have been over turned, why that is being buried is beyond. The VR had every chance to uphold a correct ruling of knock on, and didn't
That's the real crime here.
It’s absolutely not the way it is. Shall we make a wager on whether you can point us to another instance of this in the remainder of the season?

The way it is is the touchie puts up his flag and the bloody game stops except for what was in the course of immediate action.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

So if I can find one occurrence where a touchie puts his flag up and a try is awarded
I win?

What stakes are you putting down?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I just saw Luke Phillips (yes, a known Sutton agitator I acknowledge that) state on twitter that refs are not permitted to use the video ref once a touch judges flag goes up.

Can anyone verify the legitimacy of that statement? Makes it an even more disgraceful turn of events if the statement is correct.
Last edited by Wiki Special on July 20, 2018, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:So if I can find one occurrence where a touchie puts his flag up and a try is awarded
I win?

That’s not the argument and you know it weasel man.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:22 pm
Pigman wrote:So if I can find one occurrence where a touchie puts his flag up and a try is awarded
I win?

That’s not the argument and you know it weasel man.
What is the argument then?
When does the line in the sand get drawn? If the play is ongoing, ill make the bet. Play is continuous lets do it... if you want to state something else, state it and lets dance.
You're move, pal.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So you’re looking for an instance where the linesman raises his flag and the referees and players have seen the flag raised play continues after this and a try is scored.

You on for that?

This is not the flag goes up as the player is diving for the corner. This is the play is deliberately allowed to continue after a flag is raised like playing advantage.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So much drivel. So asinine.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lui_Bon wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:34 pm How did you like those refs? Normally I like the beardy one, but he added to the collective with his forward pass call. And I like Belinda Sleeman on principle, but she could have been a whole lot better.

Lui_Bon, I think all humans make mistakes and there were some decisions which were questionable against the Raiders in this game. There would normally be some evening out of these decisions but that did not really happen tonight. But I agree with our Captain - the first half performance of the Raiders cost us the match. Hodgo said:

"I was on the inside and you saw the touchie put the flag up and then half put it down. As soon as you see a flag you stop your feet. If you watch the video back the ref [keeps going to blow the whistle]," Hodgson said.

"We were all just waiting for the whistle. We all just stopped and he ran through and scored. He called no try, you've got to give proof it's definitely not a try.

"Once it goes to the Bunker, the only feedback you get is there's nothing we can do now. Constantly all night I was asking questions, I rather got not much or that was what I thought. The feedback was very short.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone to start thinking this cost us the game and we're having a whinge about the refs. Our first half cost us the game, we're not kidding ourselves with that.

"But there were certainly a few factors that added to that. We're holding ourselves accountable. We're not blaming everything on someone else."

This is just so refreshing in its honesty to me. He speaks with conviction. He points out where we need to improve. We rarely heard anything like that before. I hope his knee is not too bad as he limped off following the game and had hurt his right knee midway through the first half.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Q. Why doesn't Brad Abby use condoms?

A. He knows he won't catch anything!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I only just got to watch the game as Jetstar are the worst airline in the history of Australia (six hours delay on a one hour flight).... Wow.... Even the first half the refs were **** pathetic... Every call going the way of the Sharks, they lose the ball it was stripped, they drop it, must have been us knocking it on... And then that second half... Calling passes which were not only backwards out of the hands but caught behind where the ball was thrown forward.... The touch judge proving beyond a doubt they should all be sacked as they are the most useless things out there.... Just **** pathetic...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The bottom line is the NRL has already admitted that the touch judge put his flag up when he shouldn't have. This interfered with the play. The referee should have simply stopped the match at that point, due to the error... because it put the defenders off. The officials can't interfere like this in the play. They have, and they have a duty to stop the play. I'm still stunned by the fact that the bunker didn't simply say that. And I'm stunned they didn't listen to the audio to see a whistle was blown.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Well that was an absolute crock.

To quote the NRL:
"The touchy shouldn't have raised his flag, that was an error, and then play should've stopped at that point," an NRL spokesman said.
... and then the 'forward' pass. :nooo

I'd pretty much given up on our season before this game, but for it to end like that is disgusting.

If the officials got either of those calls right, it'd be Shane Flanagan saying "we lost that game due to our second half", rather than Ricky blaming the Raiders' first half.

Each team can point put their hands up for their own faults, they were equally imperfect, but the balance leaned our way and the officials imposed some sort of absurd destruction on that game - like a bull in a china shop.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:Q. Why doesn't Brad Abby use condoms?

A. He knows he won't catch anything!
But... isn’t he concerned about unwanted pregnancy? Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:36 pm The bottom line is the NRL has already admitted that the touch judge put his flag up when he shouldn't have. This interfered with the play. The referee should have simply stopped the match at that point, due to the error... because it put the defenders off. The officials can't interfere like this in the play. They have, and they have a duty to stop the play. I'm still stunned by the fact that the bunker didn't simply say that. And I'm stunned they didn't listen to the audio to see a whistle was blown.
100% agree with you. But let's pretend for a moment that we were okay with everything up until that point, the fact it went up as "no try" means they need to be certain there was no knock on. Even if you argue you can't be sure there was it doesn't matter - they needed to be certain there wasn't to award that a try. It is just a howler of a call on many levels
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Also on that forward pass, the touchie didn't call ****, somehow the refs, not in-line with it at all, make the call... Why are the touchies even **** out there?!?!?!

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/20/nrl ... la-sharks/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:30 pm So much drivel. So asinine.
So, so.
Pilz
David Grant
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Pilz »

Northern Raider wrote: July 20, 2018, 8:45 pm Ok. On that dodgy Sharks try from the video ref. Forget whether he knocked on or if ref blew whistle or the bunker overturning onfield call. The touch judge puts the flag up when the ball is near the sideline. Players in field assume the play is dead and stop, which is exactly what Williams did. How can the officials not call a stop to play?
It's worse than that. According to the Grandstand commentary team the rule is that a decision can't be sent to the bunker once a touch judges flag has been raised. The onfield ref sent it up anyway, and did so calling no try.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Also how often to the refs have to get basic **** game rules wrong before a team is penalised with the points taken off them or awarded points for being robbed? Like the Sharks deserve to be the top 4 off that **** 40 minute performance...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:32 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:34 pm How did you like those refs? Normally I like the beardy one, but he added to the collective with his forward pass call. And I like Belinda Sleeman on principle, but she could have been a whole lot better.

Lui_Bon, I think all humans make mistakes and there were some decisions which were questionable against the Raiders in this game. There would normally be some evening out of these decisions but that did not really happen tonight. But I agree with our Captain - the first half performance of the Raiders cost us the match. Hodgo said:

"I was on the inside and you saw the touchie put the flag up and then half put it down. As soon as you see a flag you stop your feet. If you watch the video back the ref [keeps going to blow the whistle]," Hodgson said.

"We were all just waiting for the whistle. We all just stopped and he ran through and scored. He called no try, you've got to give proof it's definitely not a try.

"Once it goes to the Bunker, the only feedback you get is there's nothing we can do now. Constantly all night I was asking questions, I rather got not much or that was what I thought. The feedback was very short.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone to start thinking this cost us the game and we're having a whinge about the refs. Our first half cost us the game, we're not kidding ourselves with that.

"But there were certainly a few factors that added to that. We're holding ourselves accountable. We're not blaming everything on someone else."

This is just so refreshing in its honesty to me. He speaks with conviction. He points out where we need to improve. We rarely heard anything like that before. I hope his knee is not too bad as he limped off following the game and had hurt his right knee midway through the first half.
My wife, who normally just tells me to stop swearing at the tv, was fully on board with the patheticness of the refs tonight. While I hated the tv commentators who neglected the 5-1 penalty count in the first half, as well as the dodgy Dunamis play-the-ball call, the two forward passes in the first sharks try, and the alleged Bateman knock-on, they were pretty fair by the end of the game. Actually scratch that, they weren't. At least Anasta had some courage by the end of it.

As did Stuart and Hodgson. They said what they had to say without whining, which frankly was a pretty hard ask. There'll be no fine there, and I'm kinda proud of them.

I just think that the first half performance was crucified by the refs. They could have called forward passes and didn't. They could have called more than one rubbish play the ball and didn't. They could have not sinbinned Rapana, who had well and truly rolled away when the idjit at dummy half dropped the ball. (Ok , he should have already been called, but he was no longer a factor when Graham [I think?] knocked on). The refs went with the vibe there. Then later they went by the rulebook and we got reamed every single time. I don't think we were that bad in the first half, we just got the usual rub of the perceptual green. And nothing is ever going to get us back from that until we a) have a better team, b) are coached better, and c) tell the NRL just what they can do with themselves. Unfortunately the Presser tonight was a lost opportunity.
Last edited by Lui_Bon on July 20, 2018, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:36 pm The bottom line is the NRL has already admitted that the touch judge put his flag up when he shouldn't have. This interfered with the play. The referee should have simply stopped the match at that point, due to the error... because it put the defenders off. The officials can't interfere like this in the play. They have, and they have a duty to stop the play. I'm still stunned by the fact that the bunker didn't simply say that. And I'm stunned they didn't listen to the audio to see a whistle was blown.
100% agree with you. But let's pretend for a moment that we were okay with everything up until that point, the fact it went up as "no try" means they need to be certain there was no knock on. Even if you argue you can't be sure there was it doesn't matter - they needed to be certain there wasn't to award that a try. It is just a howler of a call on many levels
I was looking outside of that aspect because that was simply a shocker from the bunker....which to be honest, we've come to expect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I thought our small bench worked ok, which is a good sign for next year. Havilli in particular but Bateman as well.

Knight looked mediocre in his limited time. I'd think he will not survive Tapine returning.

Jnr had a few good hit ups but he is really dialling it in this season. 6 hitups in 40 minutes is terrible.
Last edited by edwahu on July 20, 2018, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Seeing the players after the game getting on the bus tonight, they were livid. Got some honest answers when off camera.

Ricky was surprisingly ok.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:57 pm Seeing the players after the game getting on the bus tonight, they were livid. Got some honest answers when off camera.

Give us a hint as to what was said?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:07 pm
Velda wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:05 pm Looks like the team bus has been egged by Sharks fans at the ground...there really is very little to like about that team!
Read in the Telly today that Murchie was one of those grubs a couple of years back
it was liam knight not murchie
raider 4 life
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: July 20, 2018, 8:27 pm Is there any reason why Fifita gets to play the ball on a 45 degree angle each time and not get penalised? Discuss.
He has a top rate captain making sure his team get every call?
:opps
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Northern Raider wrote: July 20, 2018, 11:16 pm
Brew wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:57 pm Seeing the players after the game getting on the bus tonight, they were livid. Got some honest answers when off camera.

Give us a hint as to what was said?
Yes please, I mean, hypothetically of course, say if two blokes named Jorsh and Jardarn were to talk to you on camera. What would they have said?
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

edwahu wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:54 pm I thought our small bench worked ok, which is a good sign for next year.

Jnr had a few good hit ups but he is really dialling it in this season. 6 hitups in 40 minutes is terrible.
Yep, I won't be missing him, we are getting much better from our smaller less profile (and hopefully cheaper) blokes like Lui and Havili Imo.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

So I wake up in Bellevue this morning to see the Raiders had been dudded. Why aren't I surprised?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fans turning away after 'rot' started in opening round: Stuart: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zsrk.html

Million dollar NRL bunker 'waste of time': Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zsqh.html
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Didn’t see the game, just catching up now.

Don’t jump on me, this is a genuine question... can we complain about the refs when we let them lead 22-6 at HT??
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

mamando wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:35 am Didn’t see the game, just catching up now.

Don’t jump on me, this is a genuine question... can we complain about the refs when we let them lead 22-6 at HT??
Yes. But I don't want to spoil it for you!
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

What happened to the Raiders regarding the refs in the Sharks game was horrible but the Raiders seem to always be in the same position every season struggling to just make the top 8.
Yes the refs killed our season but gee how many games did they blow this year like in years past.
The team has talent to be a top 4 side the team really is crying out for a coach to take them to that top 4. Sadly I think Stuart has had 5 years and should go but we are stuck with him til 2020.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 19 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

I like Hodgson as Captain tonight and dealing with the media. Showed passion and restraint when talking to the media.

He also showed good leadership on the field. I saw a little bit of a lovers tiff on field between him and Austin. I think once Austin goes it will be good for the team. He is very selfish

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on July 21, 2018, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good morning everyone...

How's morale ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: