Playing the whistle

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Playing the whistle

Post by BJ »

I go back to my earlier point. NRL Referees do not always blow their whistle on every decision they make.

They sometimes just verbally call knock on without blowing the whistle.

I remember Bill Harrigan recently complaining that current referees do not use their whistle enough. This was a great example of why it’s important.

You can’t always play to the whistle if the referees don’t ‘always’ use the whistle when making their decisions.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
Wiggy wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:57 pm What was that YouTube vid suppose to prove? The play clearly stopped?

I honestly have no idea wether it was an argument for or against TR?
I imagine he offered it as a pleasant cinematographic interlude.
You quite clearly said the touch judge can't raise their flag other than to signal touch
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:00 pm The NRL has already admitted the touch judge erred with putting up his flag and the bunker decision is going to be reviewed.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32896&p=1607497#p1607488
I imagine that TW will be called to show some videos in evidence.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:01 pm
T_R wrote:
Wiggy wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:57 pm What was that YouTube vid suppose to prove? The play clearly stopped?

I honestly have no idea wether it was an argument for or against TR?
I imagine he offered it as a pleasant cinematographic interlude.
You quite clearly said the touch judge can't raise their flag other than to signal touch
Righto, sorry. "While the ball is in play", as I clarified.

Which it was.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And no doubt, after the review, the NRL referees will tell us that everything was in order, the referees and bunker were right all along, and there's nothing to see here! La plus ca change...
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

First was the knock on, that turned into a forward pass, the flag raised, players from both teams stopped, and the call overturned. Take your pick
Im just, bicking back being bool
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

People are getting pretty steamed up about this- I can see it's a bit of a touchie subject.... :doubt:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote:People are getting pretty steamed up about this- I can see it's a bit of a touchie subject.... :doubt:
Think we should flag the thread?

Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Why am I not surprised to find king **** Lucy and Pigman in here defending the refs after this game
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:20 pm
Billy Walker wrote:People are getting pretty steamed up about this- I can see it's a bit of a touchie subject.... :doubt:
Should probably review it first before you blow time on it!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

So Next time a ref calls knock on without blowing his whistle we should
Send someone flying to put a huge hit in to the ribs of the player waiting for the scrum because no matter what you always play the whistle
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manchild wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:20 pm Why am I not surprised to find king **** Lucy and Pigman in here defending the refs after this game
You shouldnt be surprised.
The referees were at fault for this loss, we've probably both agreed to that, just not in related to the touch judges flag
This isnt remotely an issue if the bunker correctly rules there is no evidence to overturn the on field decision, No try.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:
Manchild wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:20 pm Why am I not surprised to find king **** knob Lucy and Pigman in here defending the refs after this game
You shouldnt be surprised.
The referees were at fault for this loss, we've probably both agreed to that, just not in related to the touch judges flag
This isnt remotely an issue if the bunker correctly rules there is no evidence to overturn the on field decision, No try.
The NRL disagrees

Also, I just read that Luke Phillips tweet. Apparently refs are not allowed to go to the video ref once the flag has been raised.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No one is disputing the flag shouldnt have gone up, TR. The dispute is whether a flag from a touch judge in relation to a knock on, which is what the flag was raised for, is grounds for stoppage of play. Which there isn't

At the end of the day, mistakes happen and the onus is on the players to know that play does not stop unless the official whistles the play dead. Which did not happen.

Why the call was overturned it beyond me given it went up as no try. Clearly an appallingly bad decision.
Why the pass was called forward is even more baffling. Those are the decisions that ended our season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
Manchild wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:20 pm Why am I not surprised to find king **** knob Lucy and Pigman in here defending the refs after this game
\Also, I just read that Luke Phillips tweet. Apparently refs are not allowed to go to the video ref once the flag has been raised.
Luke Phillips was one of the worst VRs to ever grace the booth... which is i quite a thing... i think this forum has a thread about him. Check it out...

He wouldnt know if his **** was on fire... the fact is refs go to the VR all the time when the flag is raised. Half of the acrobatic groundings go up as no try as the sideline official raises his flag and they check it to find out he was wrong. During the course of a play, it's all fair game until a whistle has sounded. That reality.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:
T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
\Also, I just read that Luke Phillips tweet. Apparently refs are not allowed to go to the video ref once the flag has been raised.
Luke Phillips was one of the worst VRs to ever grace the booth... which is i quite a thing... i think this forum has a thread about him. Check it out...

He wouldnt know if his **** was on fire... the fact is refs go to the VR all the time when the flag is raised. Half of the acrobatic groundings go up as no try as the sideline official raises his flag and they check it to find out he was wrong. During the course of a play, it's all fair game until a whistle has sounded. That reality.
No, it's not. You're just choosing to ignore the rules.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If only NRL refereeing was as consistent as pigman.

He’s not backed down on anything he’s ever said. No matter how blatantly wrong he may realise he is after the fact.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Unfortunately the NRL has outlawed common sense in the bunker.

I'm Cynical AF about this side but there is no way I can blame players for stopping when they saw a flag raised.

When they raise the flag on a grounding it is pretty much instantaneous with grounding and there is no way you can say it effected anyone''s decision making.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Schifty wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:58 pm Unfortunately the NRL has outlawed common sense in the bunker.

I'm Cynical AF about this side but there is no way I can blame players for stopping when they saw a flag raised.

When they raise the flag on a grounding it is pretty much instantaneous with grounding and there is no way you can say it effected anyone''s decision making.
Excuse my cynicism, but if Luke Patten was allowed to apply common sense, I’m confident the game would be even worse off.

He needed to be sacked a long time ago. How Ben Cummins has maintained his officiating role as well, is just embarrassing.

The NRL have themselves to blame for the decline of our great game, as they continue to reward incompetence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have just watched the hour long replay... up to the point. There is certainly the sound of a whistle. The commentators say... they're blowing this up here. I cannot guarantee that it is the main referee, as you can't quite see what he's doing on the angle. It isn't the pocket referee. But I can certainly understand why the players might have heard a whistle. They should check the audio... it happens just after the "knock on".
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And clearly the bunker doesn't have conclusive evidence to overrule the NO TRY call on field. It is clearly an incorrect call.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

T_R is correct on what the Rule Book says:

"Section 16. Duties of Referees and Touch Judges
Accept Touch Judge decision
10. The referee shall accept the decision of an Official Touch Judge relating to touch and touch in goal and to kicks at goal."

If the on field ref had followed the rules then the play would have stopped there and then with a scrum to the Raiders.

However, this would have been a travesty because the ball was clearly not in touch.

I agree with Hodgo, we blew it in the first half.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 11:20 pm I have just watched the hour long replay... up to the point. There is certainly the sound of a whistle. The commentators say... they're blowing this up here. I cannot guarantee that it is the main referee, as you can't quite see what he's doing on the angle. It isn't the pocket referee. But I can certainly understand why the players might have heard a whistle. They should check the audio... it happens just after the "knock on".
I just did the same thing and there is DEFINITELY a whistle blown, so, they did play to the whistle, don't think they'll be needing that giant stock image of a whistle then.
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I watched it back a few times, and there was no whistle. The ref on the spot looked as if he wanted to blow it, but never. You can tell yourself there was a whistle all you want, but Hodgson says there was no whistle, he said he went off the touchie, which we have come to conclusion, the touchie can only raise his flag when it's in touch or touch in goal decision, which this was neither, so..

Play the whistle. If no whistle, like in this case, play on. Make the tackle. Stop the try. All is right with the world.

Play on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish wrote: July 20, 2018, 11:46 pm I watched it back a few times, and there was no whistle. The ref on the spot looked as if he wanted to blow it, but never. You can tell yourself there was a whistle all you want, but Hodgson says there was no whistle, he said he went off the touchie, which we have come to conclusion, the touchie can only raise his flag when it's in touch or touch in goal decision, which this was neither, so..

Play the whistle. If no whistle, like in this case, play on. Make the tackle. Stop the try. All is right with the world.

Play on.

You're not listening, but that doesn't surprise me. You're agenda driven and your opinion doesn't count for much.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

greeneyed wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: July 20, 2018, 11:46 pm I watched it back a few times, and there was no whistle. The ref on the spot looked as if he wanted to blow it, but never. You can tell yourself there was a whistle all you want, but Hodgson says there was no whistle, he said he went off the touchie, which we have come to conclusion, the touchie can only raise his flag when it's in touch or touch in goal decision, which this was neither, so..

Play on.

You're not listening, but that doesn't surprise me. You're agenda driven and your opinion doesn't count for much.
Hardly.

I admit we were robbed by the refs with the forward pass call. Which was a perfect pass and prevented me from also profiting $260 for Brad Abbey's second try of the game, but let's not digress. The fact the sharks numpty never touched the ball to begin with means it was not a knock on anyway and should have been play on, followed by the fact you are told in junior football to not plead to the ref. Make the damn tackle, then argue. It's rugby league 101. Complete the play. Play the whistle. etc etc. My son was taught that in U6's. Surely a professional football team at the top of the game know to do the same.

And I have listened to it multiple times and there is NO whistle. Josh Hodgson said there was NO whistle. What more do you need? The players have said there was no whistle. Pretending there was a whistle even though those that were on the field have said there wasn't, now that's being agenda driven.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You simply aren't listening to the audio. There certainly is something that sounds like a whistle, just after the knock on takes place. Who said there was no whistle? Link me in.

I've not said that it is definitely the referee whistle... as I can't see what he's doing on screen. It isn't the pocket referee. But you should clean out the ears if you can't hear at least a "half" whistle.

And I'm not surprised the players stopped at this point... along with the touchie raising his flag.

I understand why you're carrying on... because you've carried on so much already. But just listen with open ears, brain and heart.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:27 pm
Is this a play on something
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Archer wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:16 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:27 pm
Is this a play on something
1.5/10
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

kiwi raider wrote:So Next time a ref calls knock on without blowing his whistle we should
Send someone flying to put a huge hit in to the ribs of the player waiting for the scrum because no matter what you always play the whistle
That would be worth the price of entry.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:49 pm No, it's not. You're just choosing to ignore the rules.
17.43. The Touch Judge cannot stop the play for any signals infringement but he may signal the nature of an infringement if the Referee is unsighted and seeks his guidance.

There is. The touch judge can not stop play. The on field referee is the one who can whistle a play dead based on the touch judges signals and advise. It was clear in this case the touch judge improperly signaled his flag for a knock on as if the ball was in touch, it was clearly not in touch, and the on field official allowed play to continue.

Like I said. Play the whistle. But in the end this is semantics! The try should not have been awarded

I’d love to know how the bunker felt there was enough conclusive evidence to overturn the no try call. No view showed conclusively that the sharks didn’t touch the ball, there was no justification to over turn it

Now if what GE says is correct and there was a whistle, that’s a totally different thing. I’ll be trying to listen for that at some point today for myself, but if there was any sound out of that whistle, then absolutely the raiders players did the right thing and that play should not have been allowed to stand
Last edited by Botman on July 21, 2018, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm inviting Ricky Macfarlane around for a few bevvies and a chat.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-PJ- wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:24 am I'm inviting Ricky Macfarlane around for a few bevvies and a chat.
He was keen but now he’s just going to flag it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

A touchy puts his flag up in general play then the play stops. This is not occasionally or sometimes or most times. It is every time.

Forget about it being called a knock on as that’s irrelevant. Sharks player was near the touch line and the touchy put his flag up. Bateman was the last player he ran past and was 20m in field. He stops and points to the touchy because the flag was raised. He’s not close enough to hear what’s said so believes the touchy has signalled the player was out. In which case play stops.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

"An NRL spokesman conceded the touch judge’s flag should not have gone up but when it did the onfield ref should have stopped play."

NRL statement issued.

Pigman and Lucy are wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.