Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Off topic

Post by -PJ- »

I've got a funeral to attend this morning.
I approached my boss yesterday at work and told him I wouldn't be turning up to work on Wed after the funeral, he was ok with it.

Any employee wishing to attend has been given today off as annual leave..nice touch.

Thanks Coastalraider, dubby and boney for the words.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Change of pace, gentlemen. Stick with this for a bit. It gets a little involved. For context, I'm in Northern Japan at the moment.

So on the way home from a couple of beers and a bowl of ramen, I spot ‘Pieters Belgian Beer Café’, and pop in for a finisher or two. The place is almost empty, and Pieter, a 70-something Belgian and his charming Japanese wife, join me for a drink or two. Which turns into a drink or three. And then four. All on the house, all poured faster than I can drink over the course of about half an hour. In his thick Flemish accent (imagine early Schwarzenegger, but with a serious head cold), Pieter then explains that he and his wife have ‘a bit of a thing’ for white guys, and invites me back for a bath at their house, conveniently just around the corner from the bar. He takes out his phone and starts flicking through photos of his previous encounters of this type. I nope the hell out of there, and, in hysterics of laughter and with a litre or so of Westmalle Tripel on board, walk flush into a stop sign, possibly breaking my nose and most definitely spraying myself with blood, mucus and what may have been small but chunky bits of my frontal lobes. Spitting, spluttering and swearing, I stumble down the street until stopped by an earnest young police chap, who asks how I managed to find myself in this condition. Rather than fobbing him off and for no good reason that I can think of, I take the full disclosure route, and I launch into a detailed explanation. Hunched over with laughter at my attempts to half-explain and half-mime the term “Septuagenarian mixed race fetishist couple”, he takes me inside the adjacent Susukino police box for a sickly sweet can of Boss coffee and a rambling tale from his superior officer about a weekend away in Aberystwyth with his Slovenian girlfriend while studying abroad in Cardiff in 2007. Eventually the younger chap drives me back to my hotel and waves me off into the lobby, for the Walk of Shame past the goggle-eyed reception desk.

This isn’t even in my top five weird nights out in Japan. It's not even 10pm yet.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm taking from that you wNted Pieter but his mrs said job lot and punched you in the face.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:Change of pace, gentlemen. Stick with this for a bit. It gets a little involved. For context, I'm in Northern Japan at the moment.

So on the way home from a couple of beers and a bowl of ramen, I spot ‘Pieters Belgian Beer Café’, and pop in for a finisher or two. The place is almost empty, and Pieter, a 70-something Belgian and his charming Japanese wife, join me for a drink or two. Which turns into a drink or three. And then four. All on the house, all poured faster than I can drink over the course of about half an hour. In his thick Flemish accent (imagine early Schwarzenegger, but with a serious head cold), Pieter then explains that he and his wife have ‘a bit of a thing’ for white guys, and invites me back for a bath at their house, conveniently just around the corner from the bar. He takes out his phone and starts flicking through photos of his previous encounters of this type. I nope the hell out of there, and, in hysterics of laughter and with a litre or so of Westmalle Tripel on board, walk flush into a stop sign, possibly breaking my nose and most definitely spraying myself with blood, mucus and what may have been small but chunky bits of my frontal lobes. Spitting, spluttering and swearing, I stumble down the street until stopped by an earnest young police chap, who asks how I managed to find myself in this condition. Rather than fobbing him off and for no good reason that I can think of, I take the full disclosure route, and I launch into a detailed explanation. Hunched over with laughter at my attempts to half-explain and half-mime the term “Septuagenarian mixed race fetishist couple”, he takes me inside the adjacent Susukino police box for a sickly sweet can of Boss coffee and a rambling tale from his superior officer about a weekend away in Aberystwyth with his Slovenian girlfriend while studying abroad in Cardiff in 2007. Eventually the younger chap drives me back to my hotel and waves me off into the lobby, for the Walk of Shame past the goggle-eyed reception desk.

This isn’t even in my top five weird nights out in Japan. It's not even 10pm yet.
that is the best albeit most absurd yarn I've ever heard!!

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

T_R wrote: June 27, 2018, 10:12 pm Change of pace, gentlemen. Stick with this for a bit. It gets a little involved. For context, I'm in Northern Japan at the moment.

This sounds like something from 'THe Hangover'! What a story!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Change of pace, gentlemen. Stick with this for a bit. It gets a little involved. For context, I'm in Northern Japan at the moment.

Needs more Bigcheese
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cracking day out at the hunter valley wine festival, had free entry and 10 free tastings that turned into about 15 and a couple of nice take homes.
Mrs Bone works at one of the good vineyards, her boss gave us a red for the road, James Estate discounted us a bottle of the marque, a sneaky brokenwood semillion and a first creek verdelho were in my bag when I got home.
Bit dusty this morning

Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Coles with 1980s staffing levels today for the first day of the plastic bag ban in Queensland
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I got mail today.

My 4th jury duty summons this year..this time it's July 30.

It's been cancelled on the eve of appearing the last 3 times.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

So. Not the man I was back when.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Off topic

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Does anyone know anybody who has won a car from one of those shopping centre raffles?

I walked past one the other day, where a Ford Mustang was the prize. I was how legit these raffles are. I would think through 6 degrees of separation, someone knows a person who’s won.

So, for my curiosity, and to restore my faith that this charity isn’t collecting money and not dishing out cars, does anyone know someone who’s won one?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Does anyone know anybody who has won a car from one of those shopping centre raffles?

I walked past one the other day, where a Ford Mustang was the prize. I was how legit these raffles are. I would think through 6 degrees of separation, someone knows a person who’s won.

So, for my curiosity, and to restore my faith that this charity isn’t collecting money and not dishing out cars, does anyone know someone who’s won one?
yes, 2 of my former workmates have

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

A bloke on KOFM a few years ago won a quiz and they told him he'd won 2 tickets to the Knights next home game.

"Yeah, what else ya got" he said.

:lol: That's exactly what I would have said I reckon.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Cold here this morn in Lak Mac..

Yeah yeah I know it's colder elsewhere but I don't care about you people..
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Hello from Vegas!
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: July 15, 2018, 7:06 am Hello from Vegas!
Hello from Woodridsing!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
Hello from Woodridsing!
good morning from lake cathie

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Homer!

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
-PJ- wrote:
Hello from Woodridsing!

Hello!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: July 15, 2018, 8:01 am
-PJ- wrote:
Hello from Woodridsing!

How is Lake Cathie today ?

And hello reptar in Les Wages...
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Off topic

Post by Brewdle »

After a big game ya need a big feed Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Off topic

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Any green thumbs in the Forum?

Just finished building a bit of a decorative wall on the short side of my driveway (meaning not the side of the front yard) looking for some plant ideas.
In my front garden, I have a combination of Agapanthus, Purple Lily and Gardenias, so I need something to complement.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

White agapanthus and white lily.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But seriously... there's lots of ideas on the net, eg:

https://www.gardenia.net/plant-combinat ... can-lilies

Just google what goes with agapanthus... or lily.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The weather @ 2284 the past few days has been glorious.

We had 24* yesterday.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:The weather @ 2284 the past few days has been glorious.

We had 24* yesterday.
starting at -2° this morning but sensational and 20+ tops, run at me winter.

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: July 19, 2018, 10:37 am

We had 24* yesterday.

The nights are very very cold, but the days are great.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 10:47 am

We had 24* yesterday.

2259 has been great as well! I was in Canberra for the weekend - man I was glad to get out of that weather...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Does anyone remember the days of the posos and negos? Geez that was some average banter.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:41 pm

We had 24* yesterday.

2259 has been great as well! I was in Canberra for the weekend - man I was glad to get out of that weather...
Watanobbi ?
Please tell me you're in Watanobbi.

Great name.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:51 pm

We had 24* yesterday.

Watanobbi ?

Great name.
Hamlyn Terrace - my wife wanted to look at a place in Watanobbi, I couldn't picture myself having to explain that one every time I wrote down my address...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:42 pm Does anyone remember the days of the posos and negos? Geez that was some average banter.
Yes, yes I do, you nego!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:51 pm
bonehead wrote: July 19, 2018, 10:37 am starting at -2° this morning but sensational and 20+ tops, run at me winter.

Watanobbi ?

Great name.
Hamlyn Terrace - my wife wanted to look at a place in Watanobbi, I couldn't picture myself having to explain that one every time I wrote down my address...
David90210 was a watanobbian

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:42 pm Does anyone remember the days of the posos and negos? Geez that was some average banter.
Yes, yes I do, you nego!
What a time to be alive that was :nooo
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Yes, yes I do, you nego!
Did anyone buy a shirt?