Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Jack always gets paid

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wonder how much of the fine was for the assaults and how much for public urination? The NRL drew a line under 'live streaming' after the Carney incident. Jack may be our No.1 but he knows he can't do a No.1 in public. The squirt has to learn the lesson. They couldn't give him a piddling little fine after Carney was sacked. The NRL is trying to flush out and close the lid on this behavior. I hope the Raiders speak to all the players about this type of display and then they zip it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:21 pm I wonder how much of the fine was for the assaults and how much for public urination? The NRL drew a line under 'live streaming' after the Carney incident. Jack may be our No.1 but he knows he can't do a No.1 in public. The squirt has to learn the lesson. They couldn't give him a piddling little fine after Carney was sacked. The NRL is trying to flush out and close the lid on this behavior. I hope the Raiders speak to all the players about this type of display and then they zip it.
:roflmao
Well played sir
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Westsydneyraider wrote: July 13, 2018, 8:57 pm The thing that really ticks me off ( and yes I may be biased ) is that the raiders have been by far and away the leaders when it comes to punishment through off field drama ( obviously unfortunately we have to )
We have released Monaghan, Dugan, Carney and fergo who all at the time were representative quality players. Not only that but several of those players released played AGAINST US THAT SAME YEAR !!! most notably Dugan for the dragons. Now the where the **** was the NRL then !!! We as a club were essentially being punished for having a strong stance on player behaviour and other clubs benefited from it.
If there was one club in this competition that should hold there head up high in regards to player punishment then it’s us.
YET - the nrl come over the top and to the best of my memory the only other time they have done this is with Brett Stewart and they were made to look like idiots ( more so ).
I understand that the circumstances are different in the sense that wighton has pleaded guilty and Stewart did not, however I do believe the fact that the nrl has come over the top of our club ( when we have IMO set the benchmark for what our club stands for ) is discusting !!!
The same competition banned the sharks players for less then half of that amount of time for peptides and don’t get me started on Matt lodge !!
The problem is, the Raiders have managed all of these players and they are responsible for their behaviour. We have had poor culture, which have led to repeated poor player behaviour.

Up to now, when the players have produced unacceptable behaviour, they’ve put the punishment on the line... and said... meet the standard or leave, be sacked.

The Raiders have set aside their standards in this case, and I’m disappointed in the club.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by zim »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 4:54 pm
zim wrote: July 13, 2018, 4:37 pm
scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 13, 2018, 3:10 pm
scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

You can’t go around stating this sort of stuff. The whole damn police force would off seen this video and he was never charged with Sexual Assault -
He forcibly kissed a woman without her consent.

Do we want to split hairs here because I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of sexual assault.

The undesputed fact remains that Mitchell Pearce is an innocent man due to the fact he has never been found guilty of this charge and no one has a right to label him otherwise.
What an odd stand to place your hat on. Visible evidence of him assaulting a woman but you'll defend his honour against some "hurtful" words. Interesting priorities you got there.
If there is visuable evidence of him assaulting a women why has he not been charged by police ?

Ill have a zzzz while you come up with an answer to that question.

I’m not getting into an arguement here on what my values are because I don’t have to justify them to you - but for the record then yes I don’t think that sort of behaviour should be acceptable in society and I certainly think he is grub for what was shown- but that’s my opinion. My opinion doesn’t give me the right though to label someone with something that they haven’t been found guilty of though.
It's pretty obvious you felt the need to justify your values to somebody. Maybe yourself? I dunno I'd probably feel like a defensive idiot if I was more worried about the people calling out an assault than the actual assault. But then I would probably just own up to the error in judgement and move on rather than trying to dig my way to the top.

To answer your original question: In no country anywhere on the planet do police charge every crime even when there's clear evidence. Nor should it have to be charged and convicted for you to see something wrong with it and label it for what it is. It's not rocket surgery.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

zim wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:46 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 13, 2018, 3:10 pm

He forcibly kissed a woman without her consent.

Do we want to split hairs here because I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of sexual assault.

The undesputed fact remains that Mitchell Pearce is an innocent man due to the fact he has never been found guilty of this charge and no one has a right to label him otherwise.
What an odd stand to place your hat on. Visible evidence of him assaulting a woman but you'll defend his honour against some "hurtful" words. Interesting priorities you got there.
If there is visuable evidence of him assaulting a women why has he not been charged by police ?

I’m not getting into an arguement here on what my values are because I don’t have to justify them to you - but for the record then yes I don’t think that sort of behaviour should be acceptable in society and I certainly think he is grub for what was shown- but that’s my opinion. My opinion doesn’t give me the right though to label someone with something that they haven’t been found guilty of though.
It's pretty obvious you felt the need to justify your values to somebody. Maybe yourself? I dunno I'd probably feel like a defensive idiot if I was more worried about the people calling out an assault than the actual assault. But then I would probably just own up to the error in judgement and move on rather than trying to dig my way to the top.

To answer your original question: In no country anywhere on the planet do police charge every crime even when there's clear evidence. Nor should it have to be charged and convicted for you to see something wrong with it and label it for what it is. It's not rocket surgery.
I’m very straight forward mate - Pearce did nothing wrong that night that was against the law according to the powers that be (do you honestly think the NSW police service would let it slide considering it was the number 1 news story at the time in the state ?)

I don’t agree with it, you don’t agree with it, not many people agree with it, but the powers that be obviously did

If you can’t accept that then that’s on you to fight the system and get it changed.
Last edited by scotchberry on July 13, 2018, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

EDIT

That’s horrible to say that.

I’m out - obviously this internet Raiders forum isn’t for me.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:52 pm

I’m very straight forward mate - Pearce did nothing wrong that night that was against the law according to the powers that be (do you honestly think the NSW police service would let it slide considering it was the number 1 news story at the time in the state ?)

I don’t agree with it, you don’t agree with it, not many people agree with it, but the powers that be obviously did

If you can’t accept that then that’s on you to fight the system and get it changed.
Yeah I think that might be the issue, and I definitely run into the same problem myself in different areas; You're being too straight forward in this case. But hey we've said our piece and I'll tip my hat and move on.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

zim wrote: July 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Yeah I think that might be the issue, and I definitely run into the same problem myself in different areas; You're being too straight forward in this case. But hey we've said our piece and I'll tip my hat and move on.
Cheers Zim
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

scotchberry wrote: July 13, 2018, 11:08 pm
That’s horrible to say that.

I’m out - obviously this internet Raiders forum isn’t for me.
I've felt the same way but then I discovered the foe function. Makes it a lot better than reading absolute drivel. Also I avoid certain parts of the forum altogether. Tend not to get into debates either as it simply not worth it.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:28 pm
The Raiders have set aside their standards in this case, and I’m disappointed in the club.
This exactly.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:28 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 13, 2018, 10:21 pm I wonder how much of the fine was for the assaults and how much for public urination? The NRL drew a line under 'live streaming' after the Carney incident. Jack may be our No.1 but he knows he can't do a No.1 in public. The squirt has to learn the lesson. They couldn't give him a piddling little fine after Carney was sacked. The NRL is trying to flush out and close the lid on this behavior. I hope the Raiders speak to all the players about this type of display and then they zip it.
:roflmao
Well played sir
I'm relieved you think that, Matt ...
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

+1
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jacki Boi's done a bad bad thing...

Let's just chill until his return to court.

In the meantime let's enjoy NCotric at #1.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Westsydneyraider wrote: July 13, 2018, 8:57 pm The thing that really ticks me off ( and yes I may be biased ) is that the raiders have been by far and away the leaders when it comes to punishment through off field drama ( obviously unfortunately we have to )
We have released Monaghan, Dugan, Carney and fergo who all at the time were representative quality players. Not only that but several of those players released played AGAINST US THAT SAME YEAR !!! most notably Dugan for the dragons. Now the where the **** was the NRL then !!! We as a club were essentially being punished for having a strong stance on player behaviour and other clubs benefited from it.
If there was one club in this competition that should hold there head up high in regards to player punishment then it’s us.
YET - the nrl come over the top and to the best of my memory the only other time they have done this is with Brett Stewart and they were made to look like idiots ( more so ).
I understand that the circumstances are different in the sense that wighton has pleaded guilty and Stewart did not, however I do believe the fact that the nrl has come over the top of our club ( when we have IMO set the benchmark for what our club stands for ) is discusting !!!
The same competition banned the sharks players for less then half of that amount of time for peptides and don’t get me started on Matt lodge !!
The problem is, the Raiders have managed all of these players and they are responsible for their behaviour. We have had poor culture, which have led to repeated poor player behaviour.

Up to now, when the players have produced unacceptable behaviour, they’ve put the punishment on the line... and said... meet the standard or leave, be sacked.

Any facts to back up these assertions GE?

What standards have been set aside and where is your evidence?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sun Coast Raider wrote: July 14, 2018, 12:46 am
This exactly.
100% - I'll say again, I won't be paying a cent to take my family to attend a game where Jack is playing. I'll watch the lads on TV and I'll head out if Jack's injured or out of the line up. The fact the club has no standards is all the more reason I feel I need to stick to mine.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Same. Long term high standards ditched.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 14, 2018, 8:38 am

Any facts to back up these assertions GE?

What standards have been set aside and where is your evidence?
All I’m saying is that the club should have reached agreement with the NRL on a penalty. 10 weeks seems like a pretty reasonable outcome, given the reported incidents. The Raiders now look like they’re not being serious in relation to player behaviour.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bay53 wrote: July 13, 2018, 9:45 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 13, 2018, 8:44 pm
Bay53 wrote: July 13, 2018, 5:02 pm I disagree that the Raiders haven't handled this properly.

You might think it's all play money but smart players will have a lot of that money promised or intended. Yes they are wealthy but 30k will change most peoples year.
My question is does he still get paid his contract money during his suspension. At $15k a week he is still getting paid $150k (before tax obviously) for that period. Yes, he still has to go to work (training) but he is still well ahead for that period, despite that due to his actions he is not adding any value for the team. Of course he could be injured but we accept that is part of the game.

I agree the courts would never impose that sort of monetary penalty.
From what I understand players still get paid according to their contract when they are suspended- hence clubs sometimes fine players- but the basic contract payments continue yes. I realise Jack is making a lot of money but the system has to work the same for a player who was on minimum (is that 80k or thereabouts?) and got stood down, he'd have nothing to live on if he was stood down for 3 months and payments ceased in that case.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I’m very straight forward mate - Pearce did nothing wrong that night that was against the law according to the powers that be
So according to you it's perfectly fine to sexually assault a woman just as long as the police don't charge you for it.

Righto, I know which GH members I won't be going anywhere near in person.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Jebus Christ

GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

raiderskater wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:23 am
Relax-init wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:00 am Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo.
I keep seeing people use this argument and it's annoying the **** out of me.

1. It wasn't just the dog photo. In the same video he sexually assaults a woman and urinates on her couch.

2. It was also not his first offence and just another entry in a long line of idiot behaviours for him.

3. Are we forgetting that Pearce was lauded as some kind of tragic redemption hero while Monaghan (clean rap sheet, no priors, etc, etc) was exiled to England because the NRL told the Raiders "he can jump or we'll push him"?

So no, Pearce wasn't suspended six weeks for "faking a dog photo".

I'm interested in Kent's remark, which seems polar opposite to everything else so far, and I wonder why. Kent doesn't generally mince words about idiots.
I’ve just read this whole thread and re-watched the video footage.

I find it a stretch to say he sexually assaulted the woman in the video. He kissed her, she then told him she was not interested and he backed off. He didn’t grope her or push his body onto hers. She seemed more upset with him peeing on her couch and what he did to her dog. Was it okay that he kissed her without explicitly asking prior? I guess not, but I certainly have not explicitly asked every man I have kissed before going in for one. I would say most of the men on this forum have not verbally asked before kissing their girlfriends or wives for the first time either? Some may have even had a few drinks before doing so. You might not agree, and that’s okay, but I and others on this forum also have the right to disagree without then being called names or without their character being questioned.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart blasts NRL over Jack Wighton ban

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has come out swinging at the NRL and slammed the governing body for disrespecting his board over the Jack Wighton scandal.

“I was of the feeling that was going to happen, I was just more disappointed with the disrespect to our board,” Stuart said. “They had taken it into great consideration into what they felt was the correct punishment and you can’t take it lightly in regards to the past record our board has shown, other clubs and I think the NRL, how to handle poor behaviour.”

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zrh9.html
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

I don't understand why the Raiders want to die in a ditch over 6 weeks vs 10 weeks. In both cases, its effectively the rest of the season, which by the way, the Raiders have zero chance of making the finals in. So its pretty academic as far as I see whether he can play a couple of games at the end or none. I'd advise the Raiders to pick more worthwhile battles to fight.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: July 14, 2018, 4:54 pm
Relax-init wrote: July 11, 2018, 11:00 am Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo.

1. It wasn't just the dog photo. In the same video he sexually assaults a woman and urinates on her couch.

2. It was also not his first offence and just another entry in a long line of idiot behaviours for him.

3. Are we forgetting that Pearce was lauded as some kind of tragic redemption hero while Monaghan (clean rap sheet, no priors, etc, etc) was exiled to England because the NRL told the Raiders "he can jump or we'll push him"?

I'm interested in Kent's remark, which seems polar opposite to everything else so far, and I wonder why. Kent doesn't generally mince words about idiots.

I find it a stretch to say he sexually assaulted the woman in the video. He kissed her, she then told him she was not interested and he backed off. He didn’t grope her or push his body onto hers. She seemed more upset with him peeing on her couch and what he did to her dog. Was it okay that he kissed her without explicitly asking prior? I guess not, but I certainly have not explicitly asked every man I have kissed before going in for one. I would say most of the men on this forum have not verbally asked before kissing their girlfriends or wives for the first time either? Some may have even had a few drinks before doing so. You might not agree, and that’s okay, but I and others on this forum also have the right to disagree without then being called names or without their character being questioned.
Kissing boys without asking.... I always thought you seemed nice greengirl. I shocked!
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
GreenGirl wrote: July 14, 2018, 4:54 pm

Kissing boys without asking.... I always thought you seemed nice greengirl. I shocked!
That was all before I met my husband 😀
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson

Post by GreenGirl »

myanonymoususername wrote: July 14, 2018, 5:45 pm I don't understand why the Raiders want to die in a ditch over 6 weeks vs 10 weeks. In both cases, its effectively the rest of the season, which by the way, the Raiders have zero chance of making the finals in. So its pretty academic as far as I see whether he can play a couple of games at the end or none. I'd advise the Raiders to pick more worthwhile battles to fight.
Agreed, though I live in hope (I know empty hope) that we might still possibly make the finals. I’m looking forward to seeing Cotric at fullback for a few weeks to see what the kid can do.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by LastRaider »

Guilty of 5 counts of assault. 10 weeks and a $30,000 fine which is probably 3 or 4% of his yearly salary is the right punishment. Case closed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

LastRaider wrote:Guilty of 5 counts of assault. 10 weeks and a $30,000 fine which is probably 3 or 4% of his yearly salary is the right punishment. Case closed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I honestly don't know what people are arguing about. This is more than fair for Jack.

The club have decided not to sack him. Fair enough given he'd just run out for someone next season. If they decided to sack him I'd be supportive of that too.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

If I went to a bar and beat up 5 EDIT I'd lose my career. He's gotten off lightly.

Let's all rejoice and move on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

myanonymoususername wrote: July 14, 2018, 5:45 pm I don't understand why the Raiders want to die in a ditch over 6 weeks vs 10 weeks. In both cases, its effectively the rest of the season, which by the way, the Raiders have zero chance of making the finals in. So its pretty academic as far as I see whether he can play a couple of games at the end or none. I'd advise the Raiders to pick more worthwhile battles to fight.
Because they are total and complete **** idiots is why
They’ve never know how the pick their battles
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Am I the only one who thinks we should use this as an opportunity to can a crappy contract and use the salary cap space more productively.

Especially with citric available and abbey as a back up.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

papabear wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:22 am Am I the only one who thinks we should use this as an opportunity to can a crappy contract and use the salary cap space more productively.

This did occur to me. For the sort of money Wighton is claimed to be on, he ought to be regularly winning matches for the Raiders. He isn't, therefore he is overpaid.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I’m not as convinced as others that we have a replacement at Fullback as good as Wighton, Cotric did bloody well last night but he still looks more of a centre(long term) to me
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:22 am Am I the only one who thinks we should use this as an opportunity to can a crappy contract and use the salary cap space more productively.

Nope. A few of us are in this boat
What he did was worthy of being sacked, and it would certainly help us rectify some other issues in the squad

Cotric with raps and oldfield on the wings is a-ok with me