Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 18 V Cowboys: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys
Saturday 14 July 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Morning fog and frost. Sunny. Areas of fog and severe frost in the morning. Sunny afternoon. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min -5 Max 12

Round 17 2018. Canberra Raiders 32 - Canterbury Bulldogs 28. It was the most extraordinary of wins for the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders played poorly for much of the match. The team looked flat, the defence was too often found wanting, the discipline was poor and there were too many errors. It was not a performance from a team that had their season on the line. The Bulldogs went to a 14 point lead with just over seven minutes remaining. But the Raiders then produced one of the most remarkable finishes in their history - scoring three tries in six minutes to steal the match.

2018 Round 17 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

More on Round 17: As I saw it

In Round 18, the Raiders return home for a meeting with the North Queensland Cowboys - after a month’s break between matches at Canberra Stadium. For the Raiders, fullback Brad Abbey (concussion) and prop Shannon Boyd (calf) have been ruled out with injury. Nick Cotric moves to fullback, with Jordan Rapana (hamstring) returning to the team on the wing. Josh Papalii is named to back up from Origin III at lock, with Siliva Havili dropping to the bench. Junior Paulo comes into the starting team at prop in place of the injured Boyd. Joe Tapine has been named at second row, but will need to beat his dangerous contact charge at the judiciary on Tuesday night. Luke Bateman (knee) returns to the bench, with Liam Knight named as 18th man. Blake Austin has again been named in the No. 14 jersey.

For the Cowboys, John Asiata (pectoral) will start at prop, with Corey Jensen dropping to the bench and Francis Molo to the reserves list. Gavin Cooper and Coen Hess are named to back up from Origin.

Late changes: Joe Tapine was found guilty of dangerous contact, as expected, so Liam
Knight comes into the top 17. Royce Hunt drops out of the extended bench. Jack Murchie and Craig Garvey remain in the reserves list. They are surely going to break a record for being named on the bench, but to never play.

Milestones: Nick Cotric has scored a try in eight consecutive matches and has the chance to match the club record of Noa Nadruku this weekend. The match also marks Johnathan Thurston’s final match in the national capital.

History: The Raiders have won 22 of 40 matches against the North Queensland Cowboys. However, 14 of those wins came in the Cowboys' first decade in competition. In the most recent decade, the Raiders have won six matches between the clubs, the Cowboys 11. The Raiders won the earlier clash against the Cowboys this year, 18-8, their first in Townsville since 2006. At Canberra Stadium, the Raiders have won 14 of 20 matches between the teams, but lost the most recent match at the venue, 31-18, in 2017.

2018 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2017 Round 17 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2016 Round 18 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2015 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2015 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

In this week’s "History Happens", we go back to a match at Canberra Stadium in 2014. The Raiders had won just one of the previous seven matches between the clubs, but on this day, the Green... err Gold... Machine were big 42-12 winners.

2014 Round 11 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

Form: The Cowboys have won just once in their past seven matches, with three of those matches being one point defeats. In their last outing, the Cowboys lost in the last two minutes, 21-20, to the high flying South Sydney Rabbitohs in Cairns. The Raiders have a WLWLW form line in their past five matches.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.52 favourites in the match, with the Cowboys paying $2.55. The Cowboys have 5.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between ninth (Raiders) and 14th (Cowboys) on the competition ladder. The Raiders have a 7 and 9 record in 2018, while the Cowboys are 4 and 12. Canberra has played six matches against top eight teams and is yet to win one. The Cowboys have won two of 10 matches against top eight sides.

The Raiders rank equal third in the NRL in attack (24 points and four tries scored per match), while the Cowboys rank 14th (16 points and 2.7 tries per match). Only the Rabbitohs (68) have scored more tries in 2018 than the Raiders (64). The Cowboys, however, have a better defensive record, with the Raiders conceding an average of 22 points (3.4 tries) per game, the Cowboys 20 (3.1 tries). The Raiders are the only team in the bottom eight with a positive points differential (+36), and a better points differential than the two teams above them (the Broncos on -6, and the Warriors on -10). The Cowboys have recorded a points differential of -62.

The two teams average almost the same running metres (Cowboys 1448m, Raiders 1446m per match) and kicking metres (Cowboys 395m, Raiders 389m per match). They also have almost the same completion rates (Raiders 75 per cent, Cowboys 74 per cent), though the Cowboys average more errors (12-10 per game). Canberra averages slightly more penalties conceded (Raiders nine, Cowboys eight). The Raiders make more offloads (Raiders nine, Cowboys six, per match on average) and more line breaks (Raiders five, Cowboys three per match).

The Cowboys have a slightly better tackle efficiency rate (Cowboys missing 31 of 353 tackles required on average per match, the Raiders missing 31 of 340).

Our tip: It is again a must win for the Canberra Raiders if they're to keep their slim final hopes alive. The Cowboys are out of finals contention, unable to produce 13 wins with eight games remaining. The best they can hope to do now is spoil the party for teams above them - in Johnathan Thurston's final season. Canberra might be able to drop one game and still make the top eight - but it can't be against a team below them on the ladder, given they are still to play six teams in the top eight.

This is a also a match that the Raiders should win... but the worry is Johnathan Thurston, as he always seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat when he's playing the Green Machine. He's been out of form... but the Raiders often seem to play out of form players back into form. The Raiders really can't afford to give him any space.

The other concern for Canberra is the disruption caused by injury and suspension. The Raiders are missing Shannon Boyd, Brad Abbey and Ata Hingano through injury, though Jordan Rapana and Luke Bateman make their return. In addition, Jack Wighton has been stood down; Joe Tapine is fighting a two week dangerous contact ban; and Josh Papalii will be backing up from Origin III. The Cowboys are better off, with Michael Morgan sidelined, though they have two players backing up from Origin.

Nevertheless, I do expect the Raiders will be more desperate to win, and the result of this match counts more for Canberra. Raiders by six, with the home ground advantage.

What they’re saying

Jarrod Croker: "To be able to get Bato [Luke Bateman] back is a massive help. He's really good in the middle there with his line speed, he does a lot of work that no one notices, Bato, he's one of those sorts of players. It'll be good to get him back and Rapa's Rapa [Jordan Rapana]. Any side would be happy to have him back in the team. Fingers crossed big Papa plays well on Wednesday and pulls up well for Saturday as well."

Canberra Raiders

1. Nick Cotric
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Sam Williams
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Junior Paulo
18. Liam Knight
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Blake Austin
15. Luke Bateman
16. Siliva Havili
17. Sia Soliola

19. Jack Murchie
21. Craig Garvey

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Enari Tuala
4. Kane Linnett
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Johnathan Thurston (C)
8. John Asiata
9. Jake Granville
10. Scott Bolton
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Ben Hampton
15. Shaun Fensom
16. Shane Wright
17. Corey Jensen

18. Justin O'Neill
19. Ethan Lowe
21. Francis Molo

Officials:

Referees: Henry Perenara, Liam Kennedy
Sideline Officials: Rohan Best, Kasey Badger
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersCowboys

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: 2018 Rd 18 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: July 10, 2018, 5:11 pm
Betting: The Raiders are $1.52 favourites in the match, with the Cowboys paying $2.55. The Bulldogs have 4.5 points start in the line betting.
That is a surprise third option I did not see coming. But will definitely take the Bulldogs at the line with those odds!
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

7-30pm kickoff.

It should be supa dupa chilly for the tropical Cows.

We got this.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mattered a lot when their b team pumped us last year
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah I get that.

But a team from the warmest climate playing a team from the coldest climate in winter and with the latest possible start..come on.

That's good scheduling.. :)
summitone77
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by summitone77 »

Trekking down from Sydney for this one...will be my first for the year at GIO.

Can not wait...but I am expecting it to be very chilly!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-4 overnight, probably be around 0 for the game
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's pretty cool for a Cowboy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview updated for squads, betting, weather: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32881&p=1604561#p1604561
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Sadly, i will not see this game. I will be on a plane to the US.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Let's trail for most of the game and score late to win...seems to work.

Leading comfortably and being dominant doesn't sit well with this bunch.

#bleedgreen
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Will be cold at kick off, get them out there first, delay the start for 5, then the viking clap, then stroll out.

And start fast while the icicles are still hanging off their noses
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Cotric FTS and MOTM surely.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Perenara. We're gone

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Is our coach on drugs starting Liam Knight at second row??? It really is mind boggling some of Stuart’s decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

LastRaider wrote:Is our coach on drugs starting Liam Knight at second row??? It really is mind boggling some of Stuart’s decisions.

He’s played there before

It’s probably a smokescreen and Papalii will go there, or Sia

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Dusty wrote:
LastRaider wrote:Is our coach on drugs starting Liam Knight at second row??? It really is mind boggling some of Stuart’s decisions.

He’s played there before

I don’t have as much faith as you do

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Ugh, I can tell I'm sick. It took me a LOT longer than it should have to figure out that Bateman takes Tapine's place and Knight takes Boyd's. I couldn't figure out who was missing because I kept coming up with too many forwards.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

LastRaider wrote:
Dusty wrote:

He’s played there before

I don’t have as much faith as you do

He’ll come off the bench... Sia will start there

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Tonight..... Im concerned with:

Junior Paulos effort and will to win
Blake Austin having signed with Warrington barely trying and doing Blake Austin stuff
And of course our halves.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

How does that Cows team only have 4 wins!

Serious question. We could be in trouble here.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:How does that Cows team only have 4 wins!

The reason is because I tipped the to win the comp... Used it in my sporting genius tipping comp too... That’s why they have only 4 wins

I also sunk Germany in the WC

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 18 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Dusty wrote:

The reason is because I tipped the to win the comp... Used it in my sporting genius tipping comp too... That’s why they have only 4 wins

Better let me know what horses you are on over the spring carnival then as I will need to stay away from them

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

LastRaider wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Better let me know what horses you are on over the spring carnival then as I will need to stay away from them

I’ll post my tips Image

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and North Queensland Cowboys. Here’s the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Nick Cotric
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Sam Williams
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Junior Paulo
17. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Blake Austin
15. Luke Bateman
16. Siliva Havili
18. Liam Knight

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Enari Tuala
4. Kane Linnett
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Johnathan Thurston (C)
8. John Asiata
9. Jake Granville
10. Scott Bolton
11. Gavin Cooper
16. Shane Wright
13. Jason Taumalolo

12. Coen Hess
14. Ben Hampton
15. Shaun Fensom
17. Corey Jensen
The Greenhouse score update service
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:Sadly, i will not see this game. I will be on a plane to the US.
Not if Frank has his way.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:Sadly, i will not see this game. I will be on a plane to the US.
I'm chilling in port mac, no fox

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Wow, I'm watching the Manly/Storm game and uh, the refereeing bar is low tonight, and I mean low. Manly are being straight-up fleeced here.

(I feel dirty just saying that.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

BOM tells me it's 1.6, feels like -2.4. Stay warm, GHers at the ground.

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders still warming up... Cowboys going in... and the Army band is out there to lead the Viking Clap.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Marshall Chalk is the Viking Clap Ambassador this week!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Greenhouse wrote:Marshall Chalk is the Viking Clap Ambassador this week!
You mean Mitchell Chalk?
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Anasta just mentioned on Fox that several Raiders fans have told him to harden up about the cold - was that anyone here? hahahahaha

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

It is 2C in Canberra and -2C with the wind chill.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Marshall Chalk hahahaha